The DJ Booth

Djing at the Full Moon parties?

Tools
lachainsworth +

Times thanked
<
Djing at the Full Moon parties?
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone would have any contacts in thailand or know how to go about hooking up a set at the full moon parties?

im heading over there in august/september and am really keen to play there. i went once and it was insane!

thanks! lach
Blu-Dome +

Times thanked
<
a lot of the places around ko samui including the most famous at phang were mostly just bars pumping out cds. If you cant find a hookup for the dj slots they do have before you leave, id say the best way would be to rock up a week or so before and just suss it out.

There are a few quieter ones to the south that had a much nicer vibe and that would be just a matter of rocking up and chilling out with them for a bit.

sorry im not more helpful, maybe ask in the travel forum too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz

"I'd say he's more of a music slut than a whore. Whores get paid, sluts don't they just love it. Keeping your musical legs open and getting pile driven by techno while tech house gives you the reach around."

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel_gilmour
winstonuk +

Times thanked
<
Maybe 10 years ago but its pretty hard to land a set now at a full moon party (as EVERyBODY) is a dj these days.

The crews that usually put the parties on have DJ's queing upto play and even bigger international dj's are keen for a slice if in the area too.

my advice is email a load of bars around the area (as there are lots) and try and get them a good demo cd.

They'll probably put you on give you a try out (for free) and then maybe you can make a contact through that to play the bigger parties.

I tried a few years ago and found it almost impossible but all the smaller bars around Thaiand (and bigger clubs in Bangkok), where happy to offer me an early set for free.

Same goes for Bali.

The exception is i hear China.. If your european (looking) and a "good dj" you can go very well over there, have had a few friends rockup with a cd case and headphones and ended up staying for a couple of months playing to packed crowds for good money.

again research lots send out lots of emails and demo's and see how you go.

If you rockup with a record bag and expect to walk into work it never happens. (tried that one)
www.myspace.com/winstonandyoddy
www.soundcloud.com/winstonandyoddy
lachainsworth +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonuk

Maybe 10 years ago but its pretty hard to land a set now at a full moon party (as EVERyBODY) is a dj these days.

haha you dnt have to tell me that. its the same as surfing...my two greatest passions and fricken everybody does it.

i dvd have a quick look for contact details of these places earlier today, but couldnt find anything.. shall have a harder look!

thanks for the info!!
Tripura +

Times thanked
<
In 2007 I got there about a week early and went to a few places with a demo CD. Wasn't too hard to get a gig at the smaller places. As winstonuk mentioned, it's a bit tricker to get gigs at some of the bigger nights without building up some contacts.
djl90 +

What happened to REAL house music...

Times thanked
<
I played at Full Moon in 2005 @ Big Boom Bar. It was me and a few of the guys from Phonetic Records who were on holiday. I just showed up 5 days before and asked them to give me a run. They agreed to let me play on the days leading up to the party but said they would see how i go before letting me play at the FM party.

They liked what they heard and gave me a 9-11 set time. The equipment was 3 x cdj100, Pioneer djm500 mixer and 2 1200's. The sound system was MASSIVE!

It was an amazing experience.
PM me for a copy of my Full moon party set recorded live at Big Boom Bar, Had Rin Beach, Thailand.
lachainsworth +

Times thanked
<
bump
Gunnerzz +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,002 Posts
sounds wicked.
munyous +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonuk

The exception is i hear China.. If your european (looking) and a "good dj" you can go very well over there, have had a few friends rockup with a cd case and headphones and ended up staying for a couple of months playing to packed crowds for good money.

China was the land of opportunities falling out of the sky for whiteys a few years ago, as they were just hungry for ANYTHING foreign looking. But thats slowly changing now in the biggest cities, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong. But theres a surprising back alley club scene going on there... Some of the craziest shit ive ever seen!! you just gotta dig in the cracks though, and you could be the next superstar dj!!
DJ_TMC +

Times thanked
<
I'm currently in Mexico and am djing 3 times a week now at some really good clubs... it did take me about a month however to get things started.. but i got them thru some friends here who had connections... did a couple of free gigs and bam, now i'm getting paid while i'm here
www.djtmc.com
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
What music you playing?..If it is drum and bass there is a place on koh phangan called the orchid bar which is the only bar on haad rin beach that plays drum and bass...ask for Keng he is a main thai dj there....Or if you are playing prog house and stuff go to paradise bungalows on hadd rin beach ...I was over there for a year once just spinning and mc'ing...had a ball mate...was the best thing I ever did...I was also there xmas just gone...As soon as they see you with tunes they will give you a trial to see if you can mix and away you go.

Did you go to the after perty in the mountains by any chance when you were there?...it's called the backyard...it goes off man.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^What? Progressive House? Paradise Bungalows was ultimate cheese - wall to wall cheddar, with a bonus slab of gorgonzola.

Was told that Backyard was good... didn't go 'cos I'd been on the beach all night 'til 10am. Had I found out about the afters 3 hours earlier I might've, but at that time I just needed a pillow.
munyous +

Times thanked
<
the backyard was KICKASS!!! probably the best part of the whole party for sure! pretty close to the best tunes too. There was of course the expected pros and cons of it having the biggest collection of nutters!!
skitz000 +

Times thanked
<
My friends were suckers for the cheese so we would always party at Drop inn although Zoom Bar next door was always playing deep tough beats!
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
Yea koh phangan is good fun eh...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »