General

Internal promotion interview advice

Tools
SniperChild +

Times thanked
< 0
Internal promotion interview advice
So I'm going for a promotion at work and my interview is wednesday. The position would involve managing a team of 8 sales consultants. Currently I work in one of two teams, and the position is managing the other team. I'm being interviewed by my manager's manager (whom I get on with well, and it was her idea that I should apply) and her boss and I'd imagine some HR person as well.

Has anyone had any experience with internal promotions and could offer some advice for the interview?
Sometimes you get maths and science when all you want is tits and arse
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9
Been in a similar situation before....havent worked in sales...but was part of a company that had different project teams working for different projects...

i told them that look... i know its a tough position to be in and ur probably considering that i do not know the other team well enough because i have not worked with them before..and ideally it would be easier to appoint someone as the head of the team..but u also have to factor this.. i have worked against them and hence i know their weaknesses better than anyone else....cos that is the first thing that we did (refer to SWOT-CC) to defeat them and be a better team than them..the outside 3rd person perspective(out of the box perspective) sometimes helps because sometimes you cannot see your own weaknesses..so i was the best man for the job cos a. i already know their weaknesses b. i can bring something to the team that was not previously there. c. I showed them figures how i improved the productivity etc. in my last team(i had implemented some strategies which had a marked improvement in our productivity) d. I showed them what i thought were areas of improvement for the team that i was supposed to handle...

needless to say, after an hour of talks along those lines, they seemed pretty impressed and thought that i was the "right man for the job"....

just be aware of one thing though, ur current manager would not be as friendly with you simply because u would be on the same level as him/her.... also its good that u get on well with ur manager's manager as she could be used as a stepping stone... maintain ur relationship with ur current manager but always go the extra mile so that u could do better than him...maintain figures so that you have something to show for when asking for a raise or going for the next promotion... have a before and after view of the team that you are going to manage... and show them how u are simply the right man for the job and are ready to take on more responsibilities..

just go up , up and up... the sky is the limit...ppl will not like you after a while but it is not because you are arrogant but it is because they would be envious of u cos u will be moving on up.. (word of advice though: maintain some very good interpersonal relationships with ppl that you come across so that even though they might not like you when it comes to a group situation -- something to do with how ppl are bad as groups but not as individuals-- dont give them any reason to hate u so that on a one on one situation they wont be able to slag you) ..also, groom some young kids while ur going up so that u can have some deputies as you go higher and higher.... the bigger your legion of supporters become, the more effective a leader u can be....

oops..sorry... i think i went on a bit too much...
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
Miaow Mix +

Jah voll

Times thanked
< 23
I recently was invited to apply for an internal position, and now manage a team of 6. My approach was to say I would be the one doing the learning in the first year, and we agreed that my manager would be my "coach" until things settled down. Also I recommend you dig up a recent strategic document on your department and mention how you would help achieve the goals in your discussion.

'Luck, dude.

Remember, you can always find East by staring directly at the sun.
Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Times thanked
< 573
I can give a few general tips since...well...its my job since i'm a recruiter:

Act as if this is an external interview and you don't know the people interviewing you. iT's hard but it prevents you being too casual

Think of the reasons why you want the job, keep them in mind to motivate yourself.

Answer the question - many people don't pay enough attention to what's actually being asked

Be positive but realistic, and don't volunteer any weaknesses. If they ask a question over an area you don't have experience in, be honest but positive.

Lots of eye contact with both interviewers, firm handshake at beginning and end.

Think up some potential minor changes you could make to the way the team is run in case they ask you what your view of current performance is. Again do not criticise any of the team unless its constructive, saying "Jenny is a lazy bitch" isn't going to help

Think of all the managers you've had in your career and what you liked/didn't like, then decide what your management style will be

Come prepared with at least 8 questions ready as they will likely cover around 4 of the questions during the interview and its good to have some left at the end. Do not talk about money unless prompted.

Think of examples of your achievements - all your team have the same duties, so what have you done to differentiate yourself? how have you gone the extra mile?

Speak clearly and concisely, do not interrupt at any point, always allow the person to finish their comment/question

sit upright, do not cross arms or legs, maintain an open stance, do not lean on the table or arm rests

Be honest - it takes 3 times longer to come up with a lie than it does with the truth and they will notice.
SniperChild +

Times thanked
< 0
Thanks you three. Interviews at 11 tomorrow. I'll post how it goes
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9
just read my post again....shit i sound like an ambitious dictatorial kinda person..hehe...
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
SniperChild +

Times thanked
< 0
Well the interview went as well as could be expected. I think the interviewers were happy with me, but who can tell. I'm pretty sure I'll get through to second round. Thanks everyone for their advice
Portal +

Work that motherf#$ker

Times thanked
< 1,014
trust me, chances are they already have someone in mind. they are just doing the right thing by interviewing people. just dont fuck it up

« Previous Thread Next Thread »