Recording Help PLEASE!

Tools
luke_shire +

Times thanked
<
Recording Help PLEASE!
Hey All,

Heres the scenario.
I have 2 CDJ 400s and a CDJ 800, a DDM 4000 mixer and a mac book (intel based). I am a poor uni student and want to start recording some basic mixes.
After losing out on a Novation nio this morning. I am looking for at the behringer U Control.
Here come the questions.

1. Can I use the digital output on my mixer to connect to the digital output on the U control interface.
2. Will i be able to record through ableton?
3. Do i have to have any other cables other the the RCA's and the digital cable?

Any help with this would be greatly apprectiated.

Cheers.
FLUKE - D & W - BIZZO'S 31st OCT
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
fuck your questions

budget uni steez recording

garage band
new blank track
set mic source to audio in
RCA into audio in
record

no digi cable required
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
palaeo-tech +

: is not here.

Times thanked
<
^ also worth downloading Audacity as you'll at least be able to edit it if you want. It's free so no hassles there.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
i use mixcraft4 or some shit... only thing ive ever known, and does the job fine.

it sounds like garage band is a winner if u have a mac, twisted seems like a fairly knowledgable dude...
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
I use audacity with the same setup as twisted described. Easy as and free.
mmc_79 +

Times thanked
<
What is the best way to set up audacity??? Because my recordings arnt very good quality...so I turned input volume rich down to around one but it still feels like it could be better.

.....or maybe it's my mixer ?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by luke_shire

1. Can I use the digital output on my mixer to connect to the digital output on the U control interface.
2. Will i be able to record through ableton?
3. Do i have to have any other cables other the the RCA's and the digital cable?

1. you need a digital INPUT on the interface.
2. yes, but considering you are a "poor uni student" you might want to consider a free piece of software like Audacity. it is basically purpose built for recording.
3. if you're running RCA's from the CD players to the mixer, there's no advantage using digital outs anyway. buy yourself a new set of RCA cables to go to the interface.

p.s. for the cost of it, you're better off getting an iriver X20 or similar if you're going to the expense of getting an interface. that way you're not tying up your computer to record and you have something far more protable.
step on my cubes.
idiotik +

go hard and NEVER go home!

Times thanked
<
i'm in the same scenario as you, as in a poor uni student... i'm recording into my macbook using RCA cables and audacity and its fine, does the job for recording basic mixes
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
poor uni student and mac book really doesn't go together well...
step on my cubes.
luke_shire +

Times thanked
<
Hey thanks. helps heaps.
FLUKE - D & W - BIZZO'S 31st OCT
ebullience +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc_79

What is the best way to set up audacity??? Because my recordings arnt very good quality...so I turned input volume rich down to around one but it still feels like it could be better.

.....or maybe it's my mixer ?

If I remember correctly, Audacity default setting are set to record in mono. In Audacity...click on the edit tab and select preferences. On the left side select "Audio IO" and make sure it's set to record in "2 channel stereo".

Also in preferences... select the Audio quality tab and set your quality level at 16bit 96,000Khz.Some people prefer to use 44,000Khz, but I just feel there is more depth to the recording using 96,000Khz. Just remember if you export your file as WAV....this setting will increase your file size substantially.

Make sure your DJ mixer is not redlining, preferably your mixer should be outputting at 0db.
Play a track and monitor the input level in audacity(audacity must be recording to monitor this).Adjust the soundcard level until you are hitting about -2db on audacity. I never try to max out at 0db, just to leave myself a bit of headroom. You can always adjust the final volume after you record to maximize at 0db.

Try using these settings...If you're unhappy still, adjust to your liking. Everyone's setup is different.
mmc_79 +

Times thanked
<
Excellent thanks for that I'll be trying it out asap!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »