The DJ Booth

1st PA system advise

Tools
JBanger +

Times thanked
<
1st PA system advise
Hi guys im about to purchase my first pa system for mobile DJing and need some good advise. I have had mixed advise off different people so far and am still fairly unsure about it all.

I have a budget of around 1000 - 1200 for 15" speakers. I spotted some powered behringer speakers in my price range but have heard that they are extremely unreliable. I have also been told that passive speakers are much more reliable than powered speakers. Is this true?

Please help !!!
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
i reckon powered is the way to go, but not behringer..

mackie make great 15"powered speakers. bit more expensive but if your running a business you dont want second rate gear..

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
JBanger +

Times thanked
<
Yea i think mackie is way out of my price rance

Do u know anything about accusound pro pa speakers? They are in my price range they also come with a 5 year warranty
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
never listened to em..

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
adviCe. not advise....

look around for JBL EON15P... might be able to be had for $1500 for the set or not too much more.

they're by no means top of the range, but lighter and better sounding than behringer and likely to last longer.

personally, i'd be investing in db technologies.

the thing with mobile DJing, is if your shit breaks, no money for you and pissed off clients. so it pays to ensure you're going to have your gear working all the time.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 14-Mar-09 at 04:29pm

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bracko

the thing with mobile DJing, is if your shit breaks, no money for you and pissed off clients. so it pays to ensure you're going to have your gear working all the time.

QFT!

a +1 for dBs or the Yamaha MSR400s, but both will probably be over budget (the Yams should be closer, though).
JBanger +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the advise guys, looks like i need to spend more 2 get what i want.

What would you guys recommend, the JBL EON15P or the Yamaha MSR400s? They are around the same price (1650 for the pair) which i can afford IF i dont go out till trance energy :S
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
bah - you're all wrong!

try these Tapco Thump 15A- best bang for buck on the market - and the lightest

trust me, i know boats.
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
JBanger +

Times thanked
<
Yea the Tapco Thump 15As do look really really impressive, and i can get them slightly cheaper than the JBL EON15P and Yamaha MSR400s

So does any1 own or have seen them in action?

Are they reliable and do the sound nice?

And which of these speakers would be the best choice? they are all in the same price range
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
I've never used the Tapcos, but Tapco is owned by Mackie... Should be reliable gear.
That said, I don't like the sound of the Mackie powered speakers - they're a bit too scooped in the midrange for my liking.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBanger

And which of these speakers would be the best choice? they are all in the same price range

that's for your ears to decide.

have a look at the specs and the reviews, but in the end it's up to your preference... all are going to be compareable.

personally i'd be choosing a speaker that is good sounding reliable and around or under 20kg
step on my cubes.
ToyBox +

Times thanked
<
soundking maxx300a's 15'', really good really cheap and reliable plus they use the same components and drivers as the JBL eon series.
JBanger +

Times thanked
<
I think im gonna go out and have a listen to the 3 speakers im interested in and what ever sounds best i will buy!

Thanks again for the advice guys its helped me heaps!
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyBox

soundking maxx300a's 15'', really good really cheap and reliable plus they use the same components and drivers as the JBL eon series.

While I can't speak about experience with that product, I've had a soundking portable guitar amp and I can say it was a piece of shit.
ToyBox +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

While I can't speak about experience with that product, I've had a soundking portable guitar amp and I can say it was a piece of shit.

lol i didnt even know they made guitar amps?
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
Jack of all trades, master of none - but really they just do amp + speaker combos - same business.
This was terrible as a guitar amp. Cheap gear all around (at least then).
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

adviCe. not advise....

look around for JBL EON15P... might be able to be had for $1500 for the set or not too much more.

they're by no means top of the range, but lighter and better sounding than behringer and likely to last longer.

JBL EON15P's arnt really going to suit him... there more for acoustic stuff and 180 watts isnt going to be loud enough for quite a few venues.

My advice is have a look around on the second hand market like ebay. I just got a new set of speakers on ebay the other day. Got some Wharfedale EVP-X215P 400W Powered Dual 15" Speakers for $1025, bargain .

Or if you are like some people and only want new then I would either suggest a pair of JBL EON10 G2 speakers which are $850 each at the moment at dj warehouse (ask them not on website). Only problem is you made need a sub down the track for bigger venues but for mobile djing they will do you fine and there small and portable but still sound good or you could get the new EON 10" for I think $1099 each which is a bit out of your price range but they sound awsome and have double the power and are lighter and more compact.

Also if you can stretch your budget a pair of JBL EON15 G2's are very cool and you can get them for $1100 each at dj warehouse, once again ask them for these prices I was almost going to get them till i found my ones on ebay. There clearing the old EON's to make way for the new model so your getting them cost price pretty much.

You would be best off buying a quality pair rather then a cheap pair because it will only save you money in the long run plus JBL's have a 5 year warrenty so you know you would be safe if you went with them.

Hope that helps a bit
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinfast

JBL EON15P's arnt really going to suit him... there more for acoustic stuff and 180 watts isnt going to be loud enough for quite a few venues.

anything requiring more than 400watts will certainly require a sub box as well. if we're moving into that region you really should be hiring.

he wants 15" speakers, that's what I've offered in his price range. since your offering was twice his price range it doesn't really conform hey?

as i said, it's a hard choice and personally I'd be hiring gear as you know it's going to be half decent, you pick it up drop it off and don't worry about maintenance.

but if you're dead set on getting your own gear, look to smaller boxes and a sub... if you're planning on going true mobile DJ with indoor/outdoor/hall etc etc etc... you're mad to try and service that with attempting an all in one solution.
step on my cubes.
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

anything requiring more than 400watts will certainly require a sub box as well. if we're moving into that region you really should be hiring.

he wants 15" speakers, that's what I've offered in his price range. since your offering was twice his price range it doesn't really conform hey?

as i said, it's a hard choice and personally I'd be hiring gear as you know it's going to be half decent, you pick it up drop it off and don't worry about maintenance.

but if you're dead set on getting your own gear, look to smaller boxes and a sub... if you're planning on going true mobile DJ with indoor/outdoor/hall etc etc etc... you're mad to try and service that with attempting an all in one solution.

Yes but the speakers you suggested are acoustic speakers, there made more for high ends so consequently they don't have much bass. There not really suited for DJ's unless of course you have a sub.

Most stuff in his price range is going to be poor quality because lets face it good speakers arnt cheap. Hence why I suggested quality speakers that arnt too far out of his price range and the fact they have a 5 year warrenty etc... you know theyll last plus you can practically sell them down the track for a similar price they hold there value. Only a suggestion.

Like I said try ebay and tradingpost etc lots of bargains out there and not much can go wrong with good quality speakers.

Also yea hiring is a good idea but for people like me where there isnt much around hiring can turn out to be $100+ for a pair of crappy soundkings so you may aswell buy some good quality speakers. It depends how many gigs your doing really and what size gigs your looking at. But theres not many 15" speakers for $1200 a pair that dont suck. Please do not get behringers... =p
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinfast

Also yea hiring is a good idea but for people like me where there isnt much around hiring can turn out to be $100+ for a pair of crappy soundkings so you may aswell buy some good quality speakers.

i only hire db or jbl... it's never been more than $80. The same principle applies to hire speakers as it does buying them... if they're in for repairs every week that's 1 in every 2 weeks they're not making money.

also, the reason why i like using the 15P's for house parties is because they don't tear your arse out with bass... which is always a significant problem when the bass is carrying 4 blocks away.
step on my cubes.
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i only hire db or jbl... it's never been more than $80. The same principle applies to hire speakers as it does buying them... if they're in for repairs every week that's 1 in every 2 weeks they're not making money.

^ Thats not for everyone though... were I live all there is is a light sounds which is $100 for 2 15" soundkings. Nearest then is dj warehouse which is 2 hours where I get my gear.

Quote:

also, the reason why i like using the 15P's for house parties is because they don't tear your arse out with bass... which is always a significant problem when the bass is carrying 4 blocks away.

^ Thats true but some genres you need the bass
skills +

Times thanked
<
I reckon powered speakers if your taking them out its so much better to take two speakers than having to bring a amp + set up
i heard the audioline speakers from jb hi fi are meant to be alright for the price 800 or so for the 15 inch powered
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
go rentals until you can afford decent gear, that way you wont have to worry about constantly repairing cheap gear when they can't handle the sound levels you want
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

JBanger +

Times thanked
<
I think im gonna save a little more and start off by getting some good 15" and if i think i need i little more bass then i will get a sub

done deal!

Cheers 4 the input guys : D
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I'm with Bracko....DB's
I have used them many times now and whilst they aren't quite in the mackie league, they are damn close.
They will easily cater for most mobile DJ situations....used them many times at parties, weddings etc etc
Jumpy1 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

Jack of all trades, master of none - but really they just do amp + speaker combos - same business.
This was terrible as a guitar amp. Cheap gear all around (at least then).

the soundking powered speakers are one of the best sound for a tight budget in the market...
DB or warfdale have some good ones.

go listen to them all before u decide
Circuit Breaker Out Now! Australias BEST new Electro, Breaks & Hip-Hop ------ Buy JUMPY T-shirts
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<
I have access to a set of Wharfdale top boxes and I think they sound good. I think they are 400 watters.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
dj nrgizer +

Times thanked
<
Does anyone have any experience with the mentioned audioline speakers from jb hifi?

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_An...SPEAKERS/21908
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nrgizer

Does anyone have any experience with the mentioned audioline speakers from jb hifi?

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_An...SPEAKERS/21908

+1

I'd love for these speakers to be half decent at that price and at 500W RMS the power sounds about right just going to come down to quality.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
Glad i found this thread!

Im in the market for some, im hiring EONs each week for $80, so i might as well use the stimulus cash i get to buy some speakers to save on hire each week. i was thinking the 15" behringer ones, but im getting the impression here they are pretty shit... ? i really do like the new 10" EONs, but i would prefer more bass. i guess with a $1000-1500 price range u cant expect bass to make u shit ur pants.

anyone got anything bad to say about the EONs? tbh they are the only powered speakers i have ever used...
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
GreenyG +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

+1

I'd love for these speakers to be half decent at that price and at 500W RMS the power sounds about right just going to come down to quality.

I've been using these for over a year with no issues. They sound quality for their price is good, and I've never had anyone complain they aren't loud enough. Got them for around $700.

Though, to be honest, I still wish I'd spent the extra and picked up something a bit better, can't get over the fact that I just don't trust them.
redmond_herring +

Times thanked
<
I can't believe nobody has mentioned RCF. Its like talking about whose going to win the AFL premiership and 'forgetting' to mention Geelong....

ESPECIALLY regarding hires!! Go put an EON up against a ART322a and get back to me. :-)

And DB? no peg.
"It's just a ride..."
dizzee russell +

Times thanked
<
i got some ev sx300s if ur keen? very reliable and used in alot of clubs
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
bump...

with Krudd's stimo package coming real soon, i need to know whether these 15" audioline speakers from JB are worth getting... at $800-ish they seem like a fuckin steal. found any reviews anywhere?
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo

I'm Not Even Joking

Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
<
Baaaaaaaw I blew one of my PA speakers Woofers .

No fucking idea how though, they were at less than half volume and after one blew, I tested the other one at a volume that was double than what I was playing before and It was still not redlining.

I think it might be a loose wire or something along that line, because I did notice that on every bass hit I was starting to get a "rumbling" sound out of the woofer, so I turned the bass down on that speaker then the woofer died altogether (Tweeter still works)
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Rhys J +

Times thanked
<
Well im buying these audioline speakers soon, And theyre $827 online sale or rrp $878 if youre buying in-store. They come with 12 month warranty too so even if they do eventually f*#@ up on you youre covered..

I managed to get a pair of speakers, pair stands and an rca to xlr cable for $780. Going to get them the next few days if i have time
GreenyG +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhys J

Well im buying these audioline speakers soon, And theyre $827 online sale or rrp $878 if youre buying in-store.

I managed to get a pair of speakers, pair stands and an rca to xlr cable for $780. Going to get them the next few days if i have time

Lemme know how the stands hold up with the 15" powered speakers, as they are quite heavy. Would probably be an effort even getting them on the stands at a decent height.
Rhys J +

Times thanked
<
How much do they weigh, like 21kg?
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
those speaker stands advertised in JB look like typical, generic speaker stands. they are designed to hold 15" speakers and the like. u just gotta make sure the knobs are tightened up good, and that the tripod stance is wide enough to lower the centre of gravity to make it sturdy...

im hoping they have these speakers in stock when i go in to purchase...
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo

I'm Not Even Joking

Rhys J +

Times thanked
<
Yeah they look the same as the ones dj warehouse hires out so im sure theyll do the job.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
^^^ definately not, dj warehouse hires out JBL EON 515 15" speakers... they'll run u about $1500-1600.

so i did some investigating, and i think i might go for the tapcos mentioned earlier. found them for $900. altho im a bit concerned, their rated power is half that of most of the other 15" speakers mentioned around here.

oh, and upon some research, dj warehouse has EON 15P 15" going for $810, not $1600 as mentioned by someone earlier, their rated power is only 180w
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo

I'm Not Even Joking

GreenyG +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakin Pecan

^^^ definately not, dj warehouse hires out JBL EON 515 15" speakers... they'll run u about $1500-1600.

so i did some investigating, and i think i might go for the tapcos mentioned earlier. found them for $900. altho im a bit concerned, their rated power is half that of most of the other 15" speakers mentioned around here.

oh, and upon some research, dj warehouse has EON 15P 15" going for $810, not $1600 as mentioned by someone earlier, their rated power is only 180w

I assume he meant the speaker stands and not the speakers.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
haha, yeh totally, my bad...

i had an epiphany just then - the quoted prices on the interwebz for these speakers are for ONE speaker... this whole time ive been thinking the prices ive been seeing were for the PAIR. wow, this has just made me very sad
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo

I'm Not Even Joking

Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
<
Wtf, just tested my blown speaker ... and it is like working better than ever now

The night it "blew" there was a pretty big thunder and lightning storm here, could that effect the speakers?
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
im not a doctor, but yes
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo

I'm Not Even Joking

Rhys J +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakin Pecan

I was referring to the stands they hire out not the speakers....
The_Architect +

Times thanked
<
IMO from running small PA rigs, to fairly big band rigs, you want subs, because dj=bass and really i wouldent be getting a mobile pa system unless i had subs or really tank tops. Brands come down to personal choice, for house parties i use wharfdale 2 subs and 2 tops all powerd, and never had a problem with them and they PUMP just be aware of your horn, generally one of the first thing sto blow, so if your cranking it just knock the highs down a bit, if you can really afford it and you get a proper mobile rig, get a driverack so you know you wont blow it. My thaughts and experiences.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »