Food, Wine, and Dining Out

Jerky, Biltong etc

Page 2 of 3
  Tools
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155
If he actually read the thread, derpelict would see that you can buy proper billtong and stokkies by the kilo from http://www.thesouthafricanshop.com.au/ in Caulfield South, no packets to open, just wrapped in paper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
< 4,780

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

If he actually read the thread, derpelict would see that you can buy proper billtong and stokkies by the kilo from http://www.thesouthafricanshop.com.au/ in Caulfield South, no packets to open, just wrapped in paper.

I saw that, but I prefer jerky over billtong. Plus I cbf driving to Caulfield South.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

I think you obviously dont understand what i'm trying to say.

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,178
What is it about jerky that you like? I think you'll find there's a biltong variety that will appeal to you. Do you like the softer stuff, dry, wet?
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

I saw that, but I prefer jerky over billtong. Plus I cbf driving to Caulfield South.

didn't you say you were in Ashwood? That is what 10km/15mins at worst.

Quote:

if you didnt want to hear self righteous lefty rants, you shouldn't have taken drugs and listened to dance music with people holding arts degrees imo.

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,780

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

What is it about jerky that you like? I think you'll find there's a biltong variety that will appeal to you. Do you like the softer stuff, dry, wet?

I would probably say that I like the softer stuff a bit more, but then certain dry ones I've tasted have done a lot for me too. I prefer when they cut it more thin than not.

Quote:

didn't you say you were in Ashwood? That is what 10km/15mins at worst.

Yeah, but I'm really fucking lazy

Quote:

Quote:

phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 199
Why would you buy bilton & jerky when you can make it yourself? It's piss easy and at a fraction of the cost.

You buy corned meat ( silverside ), slice it thin - or if you cant be arsed then slice it thick and bash it thinner with a meat tenderizer, marinate it in whatever herbs & spices you like for 3 hours, (there's shitloads of recipes online), then dry it in a food dehydrator until it's done. Or you can use the oven (On low with the door ajar) at about 80*c for 4-6hrs . Works out about $15 a kilo.

You can even buy pre-mixed packets of rub online or from most homebrew shops if you're feeling extra lazy.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 30-May-11 at 06:37pm

Gruso +

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Times thanked
< 14,797
Hey Mickstah, did you know that there's a sweet one man jerky operation in our very own 'derra? http://www.justjerky.com.au/index.html

It's pretty good too, although I'm no jerky buff.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,155

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

Why would you buy bilton & jerky when you can make it yourself? It's piss easy and at a fraction of the cost.

You buy corned meat ( silverside ), slice it thin - or if you cant be arsed then slice it thick and bash it thinner with a meat tenderizer, marinate it in whatever herbs & spices you like for 3 hours, (there's shitloads of recipes online), then dry it in a food dehydrator until it's done. Or you can use the oven (On low with the door ajar) at about 80*c for 4-6hrs . Works out about $15 a kilo.

You can even buy pre-mixed packets of rub online or from most homebrew shops if you're feeling extra lazy.

Proper air dryed biltong is something else though, One of these days I'll get around to doing a proper batch.

Quote:

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Hey Mickstah, did you know that there's a sweet one man jerky operation in our very own 'derra? http://www.justjerky.com.au/index.html

It's pretty good too, although I'm no jerky buff.

Yeah I've bought a few packets as I'm always happy to support the locals. It's good stuff, nice and peppery and certainly much better than that Nobby's garbage.

As for making my own, I've always wanted to, I've even gone as far as to buy all the ingredients necessary for the process, but I've always been concerned that if I fuck it up I ruin a perfectly good cut of meat.

Luckily my Sth African friends know how to build a proper drying box so we're going to give that a shot once the wet season passes. Any tips I pick up I'll be sure to pass on to this thread (will try to get some build photos as well).

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 199

Quote:

Proper air dryed biltong is something else though, One of these days I'll get around to doing a proper batch.

Yep, that was the method for jerky, which is a piece of piss. Biltong is a little more preparation, but not difficult.

See this 13p thread for tips & recipes.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=397987

Or this one:

http://memoryweaver.wordpress.com/20...1-preparation/

A spare fridge (turned off of course) and an electric fan heater suits the job.

Quote:

As for making my own, I've always wanted to, I've even gone as far as to buy all the ingredients necessary for the process, but I've always been concerned that if I fuck it up I ruin a perfectly good cut of meat.

Well actually, your biggest concern if you fuck it up is that you can poison yourself, not so much waste 10 bucks worth of meat. Worst case scenario

But, follow the instructions, be careful with your sanitation, start small and you'll be fine.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 31-May-11 at 12:21am

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Yeah well that was kinda what I was implying…

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Saphire +

shiney!

Times thanked
< 17
try Protea foods, they are the closest to my Ouma's recipie... yay for on line tasty things
Hemerage +

Giddy'up!

Times thanked
< 1,393
Have only tried some packet "COAN" branded stuff in London, which I thought were realllly shit.
Was so stringy and weird :/

Will keep a lookout for the shop in Westfields that someone mentioned
Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156
Dad sent me his recipe the other day. We used to dry it in the garage, hanging off from the rafters.

Also found a little place just off the seven ways, Taj Mahal Fine Foods (50 Frederick St). They make delicious biltong and fresh roti, also they make proper samosas.

I wonder if my dad can send me some game biltong.. (game > beef)

Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.

Cavey for president. :xxnu
You're a freaky unit :trippytrip

Last edited by Cavey: 03-Jun-11 at 08:25am

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Springbok & Kudu… omg! Next level stuff, definitely shits all over beef (never thought I'd say that, but there you go…)

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Beef-Jerky +

Times thanked
< 0
Beef Jerky and Biltong - The Best In Australia
There is a company we love - Biltong Boys that sell the best Beef Jerky Biltong in Australia. These lads love the stuff and deliver anywhere in AU - Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane you name it. They have a really cool blog too called the Boys Blog - where they chat about mostly rugby and sport which is cool. They deliver the beef jerky and biltong in about 1 -3 days, it says on their website.

I personally I love beef jerky but cant decide if biltong is better?
Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,780
Really? Please, tell me more!

Quote:

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010
If you're Northside in Sydney, Springbok Delights on Mowbray Rd in Lane cove sell some pretty awesome biltong, they have about 5 different varieties. Freshly sliced FTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
If it's called Springbok Delights then that's all the convincing I need!

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,780
Humpty Doo Beef Jerky Chilli tastes great, and of course BullBar Beef Jerky Chilli (of which I just spilt a whole bunch of chilli flakes on my keyboard).

Quote:

Quote:

gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef-Jerky View Post

There is a company we love - Biltong Boys that sell the best Beef Jerky Biltong in Australia. These lads love the stuff and deliver anywhere in AU - Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane you name it. They have a really cool blog too called the Boys Blog - where they chat about mostly rugby and sport which is cool. They deliver the beef jerky and biltong in about 1 -3 days, it says on their website.

I personally I love beef jerky but cant decide if biltong is better?

I sent this guy a message requesting some free samples (my family runs a chain of delis-as some folks are aware), i'll give him a bit longer to respond before i assume it's just a hoax...
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
< 9
Glad to see some love for the Biltong It's a real pity you can't get all the game versions here (springkbok, kudu, ostrich etc) but beef will always work

As space monkey says Springbok delights on Mowbray road in Lane cove has some good stuff (i know cause im a saffa

http://springbokdelights.com.au/

I'm seeing more and more regular butcheries making and selling it now so its worth checking in at your local too...

You guys should also try Droe Wors - Its a dried version of sausage called Boerewors (which in its original wet form is amazing on the BBQ)
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
My saffa friends keep promising Droe Wors!

I think I'll have to join them on a trip to Durban next year if this promise isn't fulfilled by then!

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroWhitie View Post

You guys should also try Droe Wors - Its a dried version of sausage called Boerewors (which in its original wet form is amazing on the BBQ)

Yeah don't mind a bit of droe wors/boerwors, gonna try making my own boerwors soon. the saffer shit I really dig though is land jaeger, thats some next level tasty sausage.
Barlo +

Times thanked
< 3
I love jerky, I am considering getting a dehydrator and trying to make my own.
Pang +

Dead Tired

Times thanked
< 0
I made Jerky the other week. Here's my recipe:

1kg skirt steak, sliced into thin strips with the grain of the meat
1 and 1/3 cups Kikkoman soy sauce
2 tsp ea chilli powder, cayenne pepper and ground black pepper
1 tsp ea dried oregano and thyme
1 tbsp coriander seed and 3 cloves ground
6 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
1 squirt of honey
I also added a few shakes of blairs death rain i.e. extremely hot chilli powder but you can substitute more normal chilli powder or chilli flakes.

Throw everything in a zip lock bag, squeeze out most of the air and put it in the fridge for 6 hours.

Take it out of the fridge, pat dry and lay the meat out on oven racks. There will be a lot of it so lay it close together but not overlapping.

Put the oven onto fan forced at 50 degrees C. Keep the oven door slightly open using a blob of aluminium foil. Leave it in the oven for 6-8 hours.

Enjoy.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
surprised this place hasn't been mentioned, it's the home of billtong in Sydney.

http://www.stanleystreetbutchery.com.au/
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010
I'm thinking the Iron Brewery needs a biltong/jerky maker aded to the equipment list. Tasty high protein man-snacks on tap. What say you Eddie?

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 11,161
I have access to one
Unspoilt by Progress
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,861

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

surprised this place hasn't been mentioned, it's the home of billtong in Sydney.

http://www.stanleystreetbutchery.com.au/

8th post down on the first page brah
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
yep, I'm definitely blind
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,861
Anyone made biltong themselves? Making my dehydrator tonight and am keen to get a batch of roo tong underway.

I'll probably just go for the standard salt pepper Worcester sauce vinegar corriander Jobbie to start
psyv +

unexploring or shall we say re-exploring

Times thanked
< 132
Got some awesome spicy jerky from Costco. Amazing.
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 17
had the house to myself the other night so thought I'd buy a little wagyu steak from local butcher....cost me $22. dude had made some wagyu jerky in house and agve me a tiny bit to taste. wow - tasted better than the steak ...very very buttery. an't say I've had any other jerky in decades but this shit was the bomb. Frenchman Rd butchers in Randwick / Clovelly border
my reggae mixes : http://soundcloud.com/grapsta
or http://www.mediafire.com/?54x1z9a9f3u70

discogs records for sale..d'n'b / breaks /hip-hop /reggae
: http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?seller=grapsta
Saphire +

shiney!

Times thanked
< 17
1kg blade steak sliced in strips marinaded (for 24hrs+) in 1/2 tablespoons of garlic,cumin, corrianda,salt, blackpepper, and chilli jam, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 of vingar, put in dehydrator on a low heat for 18-24 hrs...

psyv +

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire View Post

1kg blade steak sliced in strips marinaded (for 24hrs+) in 1/2 tablespoons of garlic,cumin, corrianda,salt, blackpepper, and chilli jam, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 of vingar, put in dehydrator on a low heat for 18-24 hrs...

I came looking for steak sauce ideas. I stayed for the marinade.

Last edited by psyv: 08-Feb-12 at 09:49am

psyv +

Times thanked
< 132

Quote:

Nah the 100g packets from that site I linked, but it still goes quick. I'm the type of person where if I open a bag of chips or biscuits, I have to eat the whole bag Jerky is no exception to the rule!

The jerky at Costco comes in 255g and a zip lock back. The hot & spicy one is the best, and loathed as I am to try the terriyaki, I will give it a go. It's always so sweet...
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010
So I built a biltong maker last week and gave it it's initial run, made 1kg of rump steak into biltong and about 500g of roo into jerky. Both worked out pretty well, easily as good as all but the best store-bought stuff I've had. About to chuck down another 3kg of biltong this weekend, $9/kg sure as fuck beats paying $50/kg at a deli!

Quote:

Quote:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,780
Done already Dave? That was quick :O I thought it took a week or so.

Quote:

Quote:

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Sensational!

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010

Quote:

Done already Dave? That was quick :O I thought it took a week or so.

Takes about 3 days for the biltong to dry optimally. Jerky is a bit quicker as its sliced thinner, it was done in about 36 hours. Gonna buy some more meat hooks today and put the next batch down this arvo.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Got any pics to make me drool and envy?

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010

Quote:

Got any pics to make me drool and envy?

This was the initial test batch, 3kg going in tonight or tomorrow morning.

Quote:

Quote:

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Ah yeah I saw that and a few other pics somewhere (can't remember, probably via Eddie) - was hoping to see some up-close final product if it manages to last long enough to be photographed.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010

Quote:

Ah yeah I saw that and a few other pics somewhere (can't remember, probably via Eddie) - was hoping to see some up-close final product if it manages to last long enough to be photographed.

Saphire +

shiney!

Times thanked
< 17
*drools*
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,178
Now we're talking!

Damn that looks good, excellent amount of seasoning.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010
Next lot currently marinating, 3kg of topside, due to be hung tonight:

Derelict +

Times thanked
< 4,780
Dave, what recipe did you use? I could get some ready and hand it to ya next time I see you :O

Quote:

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,010

Quote:

Dave, what recipe did you use? I could get some ready and hand it to ya next time I see you :O

Biltong recipes: http://www.biltongmakers.com/

Also did some roo jerky using this mix with 1 pack of Woolies roo fillets sliced into thin strips:

ingredient/parts/percentage
Garlic Powder 2 10
Salt 2 10
Pepper 2 10
Soy Sauce 5 25
Oyster Sauce 1 5
Tabasco 3 15
Red Wine Vinegar 4 20
Fish Sauce 1 5

Did find that that one came out a bit heavy on the sy/salt though. Next roo jerky I do I think I'll just sprinkle with salt/pepper/garlic powder and hang.

Quote:

Quote:

Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »