The DJ Booth

Speaker situation...

Tools
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<
Speaker situation...
Ok so at the moment I am using my gig speakers for gigs and for home use as studio moniters... Would there really be that great of a difference between using them and buying a proper pair of studio moniters for home? Im kinda trying to save for a car but if its worth it id do it. Ive noticed dj warehouse have a sale on a few so now might be the idle time if I were to buy some

Your thoughts please my djing homies?
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
If it works for you, It's perfect................ A car is probably more inportant!

Kieren.
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
ebullience +

Times thanked
<
Well.....it all depends what you're after really. I used to use JBL tower speakers, although they sounded wonderful, they were a little bass heavy. I use Yamaha monitors now, not as much bang coming out of them, but easier to hear the tunes at a balanced level.
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<
yea well the gig speakers I have are the Wharfedale EVP-X215P 400W Powered Dual 15". They seem to be pretty good on a lower volume (only had them a few days) and I can always adjust the bass etc through my mixer.

Yea I think the cars more important... im no producer haha
acoustinaut +

:interstitial funk thief:

Times thanked
<
if this is for a DJ set up stick with what you have got... generally speaking there is no point getting studio monitors unless you intend to use them for music production...

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinfast

Yea I think the cars more important... im no producer haha

you would be the only "non producer" in australia then!

Kieren...
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
horst +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinfast

yea well the gig speakers I have are the Wharfedale EVP-X215P 400W Powered Dual 15". They seem to be pretty good on a lower volume (only had them a few days) and I can always adjust the bass etc through my mixer.

dual 15" in a two way is a truly shitty compromise (in as far all speakers are compromises)
because they would have to be crossed over at 1Khz or less to match the response of the 15's and still have rotten off axis response, and lousy bass.
BUT, being a dual 15" also means that the radiating area is huge, that means that they are very efficient, which in turn means that they don't have to move as much as a smaller speaker to produce the same volume, and since speaker excursion is the single biggest cause of distortion they will sound better. In short you will be hard pressed to find a "studio monitor" that is going to sound better at normal in room listening levels.
My tip keep the wharfdales at home and get two smaller tops and a sub to take out, those things must weigh a ton?
though I should add, if you are happy with the sound at party volume then that is all that counts
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<
Nah I bought em for gigs haha there going out =p. They sound awsome at a high volume like better then eons I reckon or around that.

There not really that heavy although need two people not that it bothers me
www.djspinfast.com
Jdelfino +

Times thanked
<
Only reason i like using monitors over the 15"s i have in my home setup is if there are others in the house and you still wanna crank out a set you can have the monitors high enough without having the Bass rattle through the whole house.
-Deli-
Spinfast +

Times thanked
<
^ yea true but I can just turn the bass down anyway. Decided not to get the moniters =)
www.djspinfast.com

« Previous Thread Next Thread »