The DJ Booth

Mp3 vs wav

Tools
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
Mp3 vs wav
Hi people I have a question about digital djaying and as I am a new comer to it please go easy...I know that mp3 and wav's have different compression but can you really tell the difference? And what about when you are playing out on big sound systems?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
this has been discussed a lot before... maybe search in this forum and the music production forum.
step on my cubes.
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
think about it - .wav file is 10 times bigger = 10 times more information

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
FLAC, ogg, ALAC
step on my cubes.
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
point.. i was saying 10 times more info as a generalisation..

FLAC & ALAC compress to about half the size of uncompressed audio, mp3 compresses to a much smaller size.

Upcoming:

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
half.... half the info

point... generalisations in this topic are useless.
step on my cubes.
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
what are you saying?? are you agreeing or disagreeing?

you brought up the examples of FLAC & ALAC, to which *you have a point* as they are 'lossless'... but in the case of mp3 (which is what th op was asking about) there is a noticeable loss of quality due to the way in which it is compressed which allows the greatly reduced file size..

Upcoming:

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl..._sound_of_MP3s
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Bitcrushed electro basslines sound infinitely warmer on MP3.

Simply a match made in heaven.
toilet trained +

Mr thunderbox

Times thanked
<
i think everyone will agree, apart from the chumsters in the above article that 128 kbps is shit

320 kbps...well, fuk if i can tell any difference under normal circumstances. wav might be 4-5 x larger, but the point is a lot of the missing info is inaudible.

but many people would try to burn me like a witch if i tried to suggest that. i certainly dont bother with wavs, but i may be just a cloth eared pleb.
hang on a minute, im on the potty doing poo

http://soundcloud.com/moth-hunter
kloseline +

Times thanked
<
club systems sound shit anyways. as long as your not djing at the world audiphile conference... but also wav files in redbook standard will be hated there so...

KLOSELINE - BMidget Mix.mp3 BMore and Fidget 60 min mix
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by toilet trained

but many people would try to burn me like a witch if i tried to suggest that. i certainly dont bother with wavs, but i may be just a cloth eared pleb.

Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
I get wav if available if not will take the 320 but wish is was wav

I get why people buy 320's (cost/size) but coming from buying vinyl the cost of a wav file is nothing...... so why not spring for the file with all the extra info?

Just my 2 cents
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
^^ yeh 100% agree there
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kloseline

club systems sound shit anyways.

Halleluiya. Finally someone points out that playing on a big system isn't the pinnacle that all sound systems should be judged.

Everything sounds good turned up to 11, right?

It's all those people finding low bitrate MP3...

(...and those MP3s burnt to audio CDs, lent to friends, re-ripped to MP3, over and over again...)

...acceptable on in-ear portable players that do my head in. Seriously how can you think that sounds good?! Oh wait, the music you're listening to is loaded with intentional digital artifacts in the production process, so what's a little more on playback, huh? I blame electro (house), hardstyle, and the horrendous crap that is Top 40 dance.

/gets all misty eyed over my Steve Vai CD collection dubbed to Chrome tapes, playing from my Sony Walkman, to / from high school.

Last edited by Spectrum: 31-Mar-09 at 08:56am

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^Passion & Warfare still gets the occasional whirl in the player.
"IT'S GETTING TOO LOUD"

I'm not sure how people can say 'yeah, good enough for my portable player" etc... I've always found it very easy to pick up differences when the speakers are 0.1cm from my head.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
I can't stand the way anything sounds in 128kbps, it should be a banned format. It's fucking horrendous. I can't hear any differences between wav and mp3 , but for playing out in a club 320 is absolutely fine.

FLAC all the way baby.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

/gets all misty eyed over my Steve Vai CD collection dubbed to Chrome tapes, playing from my Sony Walkman, to / from high school.

Dang! You gots the mega-bass!
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
i always go .wav's if possible... it's getting more expensive with the dollar at the moment though.

ie; beatport track for $2.49 (US) plus the extra $1 .wav handling fee works out to almost AUD$5 per track. (not all beatport tracks are $2.49 though)

it can get expensive pretty quickly

Upcoming:

Eclerkid +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by WADZA

i always go .wav's if possible... it's getting more expensive with the dollar at the moment though.

ie; beatport track for $2.49 (US) plus the extra $1 .wav handling fee works out to almost AUD$5 per track. (not all beatport tracks are $2.49 though)

it can get expensive pretty quickly

$5 per track only get expensive if you buy too much music. Back in the good ol days of vinyl, $15-20 was the minimum. Given this I would normally purchase 4-5 tracks a week as that was all the budget allowed. This meant the tracks that i owned were played more often and i had a much better understanding off and relationship with my music. My DJing benifited form this no end

At $5 a track the temtation is to spend just as much and get 20 tracks. This would mean that i would have play 4-5 times as much to have the same understanding and knowledge of my music collection and how I could build a set form it.

Ive gone digital now (well cdjs anyway) and I believe that all benifits that come form the digitral age are fantastic, but one of the downfalls is that many DJs now have huge music collections built up cheaply. This leads to DJs playing tunes that they don' fully appreciate and the thirst to play a new set each week leads to a lot of average sets that are not constructed properly due to the lack of understanding of their music.

Back in the day a crowd would follow a DJ around to many different venues on the strength of their music collection and individuality. Now everyone can get everything now and this aspect of DJing is quickly being lost.

end rant......
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
^^ i know what you mean. i used to dj on vinyl for about 5 years and did the same (buy about 4-5 records a week). Agreed you develop a much closer relationship with your music and understand it much better when you buy music more incrementally and play those tracks a lot more.

with so much music available online it's a slippery slope and easy to buy a lot more tracks..

Upcoming:

manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
yeh, i buy about 10 tracks a week

but now i'm trying to cut this back to only the ones i really want to play the most

collecting vinyl is like that - why SHOULD downloading be any different?
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
i'll generally get about 20 tracks at a time, but i normally only do this every 3 weeks or so (build up the crate then go and buy them once ive got the cash). being such a broke ass these days certainly makes it seem more expensive

Upcoming:

seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by WADZA

i'll generally get about 20 tracks at a time, but i normally only do this every 3 weeks or so (build up the crate then go and buy them once ive got the cash). being such a broke ass these days certainly makes it seem more expensive

Probably the best way to do it, gives you plenty of time to learn your new tracks like Eclerkid said. I should really start building up a crate and unload once every 3 weeks (oh yeah, double entendre)
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
I shop every week and have a system where anything i like when im shopping goes into hold basket, when finished browsing and holding I will go in and see what i put in their last week relisten and weed out the ok tunes and buy my top 5 or 6 bangers.....

That way not just buying things on a whim cause it sound good right then and there if still good after another listen a week later you got a tune and a valuable addition to your collection

Then soon as tracks have DL I do a quick mix of the new tracks (nothing fancy just intro's to outro) then put it on my phone and learn the tracks on the train on the way to work

I find using the hold crate like this cuts out on alot of excess spending and medicore tracks
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty-Sly

I shop every week and have a system where anything i like when im shopping goes into hold basket, when finished browsing and holding I will go in and see what i put in their last week relisten and weed out the ok tunes and buy my top 5 or 6 bangers.....

That way not just buying things on a whim cause it sound good right then and there if still good after another listen a week later you got a tune and a valuable addition to your collection

Then soon as tracks have DL I do a quick mix of the new tracks (nothing fancy just intro's to outro) then put it on my phone and learn the tracks on the train on the way to work

I find using the hold crate like this cuts out on alot of excess spending and medicore tracks

Ditto to everything you just said - kinda freaky, must be quite a common thing for us DJ types to do!
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
^^ good idea leaving them in the hold basket to listen to again the next week..

Upcoming:

GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty-Sly

only way to do it IMO, thats exactly what I do!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
Meh - After being out of work for a few months and only getting a job two months ago I've finally caught up with finances enough to have 'disposable' income to spend on extra tunes. I've got 5 pages tunes to download in my beatport download library. It has been accumulating for the last 4 or so months when I've only been buying essential tunes. So now I'm going to have an awesome fortnight or so rediscovering all of these tunes I've purchased.

....Now to finish downloading all the tunes.....
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
thank god for the new hold bin, makes life so much easier.

does anyone else get a little bit excited to bang out an hr or 2 long set on beatport, just clicking links upon links... listening to anything and everything? i would consider 'beatporting' a major hobby of mine!
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<
what a topic to discuss, thank christ someone has thought to raise this previously unspoken debate.

Cue FLAC nazis to espouse the superiority of the hitherto unknown format and some old fart (normally me) to talk about vinyl and analog warmth (man).

EDIT - jumped in before reading thread properly, all done already.

Err, vinyl rules man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
^ No.. it seems that in the MP3 vs WAV thread we have all decided that Beatport rules
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
RAR is best!
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoofus

^ No.. it seems that in the MP3 vs WAV thread we have all decided that Beatport rules

« Previous Thread Next Thread »