The DJ Booth

Frustrated DJ Thread

Tools
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
Couple of my demos are planned, couple are just record and see where it goes...I think the record and see where it goes approach is less stressful, and can lead to a better mix session, I do think if you cant do that at home and subconsionsly know what will sound good then how can you do it in a club? I prefer to listen to my planned mix's though, as I know the tracks work perfectly from trail and error, trial and error, then a bit more trial and error...pick 20 - 30 tracks you LOVE, not the latest tracks you own, assemble them in an order (key, flow etc) then put them together. takes a while to get percfect if your doing it with CD's but its worth it in the end.

Bit of self promo here....but here are three of my mix's recently...1 is done completely in ableton, arranged, looped, etc etc, took me about 2 months to be happy with, not saying its perfect but after 2 months I got to the point of 'that will do'...the other 2 are CD mix's with not much planning...
http://www.divshare.com/download/6861514-e00
http://www.divshare.com/download/6758177-fde
http://www.divshare.com/download/6702956-22d

Key your tracks young man...works 60% of the time, all the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

For the record, I've been playing for close to 10 years, I've played main room warm up or closing sets for Steve Lawler, Nick Warren, Ali B, BLIM, Freq Nasty, Krafty Kuts and more...chump!

That is terribly impressive. Well done with that.
Gene Hoffmann at Tresor.Berlin [Sept 2014]
feat. Surgeon, Rrose, Untold, Kangding Ray, Blawan, Green Velvet etc...
Set & tracklist: https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...lin-3-sep-2014
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Thanks, douchebag
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
All sarcasm aside. It is quite an impressive resume.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<
Lets not get into a big dick contest, because I reckon I might be able to pull out a reasonable sized cock.

As a former promoter and DJ I was never interested in rehearsed mixes. They never counted for much in my book.
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
its kind of silly that people think using Ableton for a demo is shite when others re record a mix 20 times over to get it right, seems similar to me. Id rather save myself some time and sanity, learn something new and get a really smick sounding demo. At the end of the day no one gives a shit.
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
well you seem to give a shit if you feel the need to justify your methods in that way
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
not really. i use both so im not that bothered. just love winding people up about it.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
Wow some of you take this shit way too seriously. Isnt it about have fucking fun? How many of you can actually say you earn a living of this and it's you primary source of income?
I doubt many... Yet so many of you talk about it like it's a job. The day i start doing that is the day i find a new hobby. Whats the point? Why so serious? What to the fun? What hapened to the techno? What happened to the underground? What happened to the music? What happened to light the fuck up?!?!
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
hehe, true that. still its fun winding people up who take it wayyyyyyy to seriously.
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<
Just only slightly on topic....I remember that when I started DJing Digitally in 2003 every punter and DJ alike called me a silly c#unt, especially when I used Traktor 1.10 to control the original release of final scratch. I reckon I was the only guy who had it in Melbourne and played out with it (but I'm prepared to be corrected on that). It was an unreliable piece of shit at times, but I played some great stuff on it with persistence and additional controllers.

Stanton gave me a free upgrade to Final Scratch 2 after hearing about it crashing on me during a gig. FS2 never failed me. I loved that box. Why on earth did I sell it? Oh well....

Last edited by Psyentist: 02-Apr-09 at 08:12pm

J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
I had some major dramas with FS2, it was a pig to plug in aswell but i spose considering its age it was pretty decent.
toilet trained +

Mr thunderbox

Times thanked
<
i think clearly, people have different opinions on what exactly a 'demo' disc means to them, and so it changes how they approach it.

if you are talking demo disc to shop around for gigs, then i understand why youd just record and do a first run mix to show your true worth (although, as stated with Ableton et al. youd wanna make it clear thats what your doing).

But, if your producing a demo as a signature of your sound, i would definitely take time with it. I used to love producing mix CDs as a format to try to distill everything i loved about dance music, with a little more care and freedom than you are obviously afforded in a club.

of course, another point of view is that if you really want to promote yourself heavily, you have to keep your mix rate up ruul high. unashamably i really think its consistency over unique quality. so then you are back to the record and go routine.
hang on a minute, im on the potty doing poo

http://soundcloud.com/moth-hunter
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
Id like to see the percentages of actual mixed vs ableton mixes, especially among the pro's. Id say almost all of them would be done on ableton or similar.

They can still prove it in the club, do they label it as an ableton or studio mix...? sometimes

If it gets you in the club, and you can play and do a good job. We'll thats all you need.
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-radical

I had some major dramas with FS2, it was a pig to plug in aswell but i spose considering its age it was pretty decent.

In the end I pretty much gave up on the vinyl interface and used it as a stand alone sound card. It was a bloody good card though.
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
I sent mine home, your right it is good and wasnt worth selling for nix so it awaits my return. Im building a nice collection of soundcards!
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<
Give me one of your cards then. As you may have read in my "recommend me a setup" thread, I'm gearless and I'm looking to get back in it.
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
haha, im in London and its in Perth. Im going down to buy Traktor Duo right now. looks the bizz. No more burning !!!
dirtydisqo +

Times thanked
<
im living in wollongong atm and ive had a few chats with clubs here and they requested mix tapes....
one problem i see with the fuckers is you could do a great mix but if the club event manager or owner doesnt like the genre or genres of music you played through the mix then your skills dont matter... i always try and make a mix that suits the club and i always let the person know it is a display of my skills and im not locked to that genre of music...

those are my thoughts but they may be wrong as i still havent got a gig since moving to the gong but the local lightsounds crew have me im on call... in a small city like wollongong i think its not what you know but who you know....
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
they have clubs in the Gong?
sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydisqo

im living in wollongong atm and ive had a few chats with clubs here and they requested mix tapes....
one problem i see with the fuckers is you could do a great mix but if the club event manager or owner doesnt like the genre or genres of music you played through the mix then your skills dont matter... i always try and make a mix that suits the club and i always let the person know it is a display of my skills and im not locked to that genre of music...

those are my thoughts but they may be wrong as i still havent got a gig since moving to the gong but the local lightsounds crew have me im on call... in a small city like wollongong i think its not what you know but who you know....

Im from the gong too mate, have had the same experiences as you. Gong is definatly about who u know.
There is no quality nights on anyway, all just about pulling the crowds and playing last years cheese.
Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Id like to see the percentages of actual mixed vs ableton mixes, especially among the pro's. Id say almost all of them would be done on ableton or similar.

They can still prove it in the club, do they label it as an ableton or studio mix...? sometimes

If it gets you in the club, and you can play and do a good job. We'll thats all you need.

justify it to yourself however you want, at the end of the day you're giving a potential employer a cd and saying "this is me djing", when it's actually you clicking a mouse button.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

justify it to yourself however you want, at the end of the day you're giving a potential employer a cd and saying "this is me djing", when it's actually you clicking a mouse button.

if your a decent DJ trying to get gigs its more about the tracks you play, if you cant mix then shouldnt be trying to play in a club to start with

unless you're one of those tossers with an overinflated opinion of yourself
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
On that note, I'm still waiting to hear about this gig!

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=247408

Do you think we should all get together for a "DJ Booth Forum" meet-up?!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
Mix.... I will just do it on the fly and play what im feeling

Demo..I will craft it a bit more make sure it's just right not only in the way it mixed and sounds but make sure it's right for theclub/promoter Im giving it too

But it's true if you cant mix like a demon at home for a hour you got no biz in a club
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
why don't you just hit record every time you get on the decks. after a while you'll forget about it etc and be able to relax etc
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
peterz +

Times thanked
<
The gong is aaall about who you know. Full of cheese and ordinary mixing!
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

total rubbish

a demo mix is different to what a dj should / would play in a club, it gives you the chance to be a lot more electic with track selection etc.

plus you can get away with the odd slip up in a club, whereas a demo should be tight

i agree with macc
should be an accurate representation of what you can do in the club

2 months working on the same demo?

this is why there are so many shit ****s playing in clubs and why seanious up there is so frustrated
worry about skills and recording will come later

a few months putting together a mix tape ala dephys mixed goods or something is different though.
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
check my sig
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
no

shut up
Beats
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

i agree with macc
should be an accurate representation of what you can do in the club

2 months working on the same demo?

this is why there are so many shit ****s playing in clubs and why seanious up there is so frustrated
worry about skills and recording will come later

a few months putting together a mix tape ala dephys mixed goods or something is different though.

if people put more effort in their demos maybe there'd be less shit djs in clubs, ie more time taken improves skills / track selection etc
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

if people put more effort in their demos maybe there'd be less shit djs in clubs, ie more time taken improves skills / track selection etc

Thats what twisted is saying. If you spend more time working on your skills then fiddling with a demo your going to get better.

If you are already at a level that your happy with tweak away for months on end.
latest track
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

why don't you just hit record every time you get on the decks. after a while you'll forget about it etc and be able to relax etc

Good call. I used to do that heaps. I've got hours of random mixes of mine from 1996 onwards. They're fun to listen to down the track...
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

if people put more effort in their skills / track selection maybe there'd be less shit djs in clubs

this

the dude who started this thread shouldn't be frustrated about not being able to record a decent mix
that should eventually just be second nature
Beats
seanious +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

Good call. I used to do that heaps. I've got hours of random mixes of mine from 1996 onwards. They're fun to listen to down the track...

I've got some from when I first started DJing that are fun to listen to now. gives you an idea of how far you've come.
latest track
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

I've got some from when I first started DJing that are fun to listen to now. gives you an idea of how far you've come.

I've got lots of cringeworthy demos from 1996-97. I hope that everyone who I gave them to destroyed them.
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That's why i dont buy them anymore.

The last one i spent cash on was Robert Hood's Fabrik mix because i knew it would be a one take warts and all mix.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
What it boils down to:

If your going to do your mix in ableton, take ableton to the club...

Or F*CK off with that pre-mixed sh*t...

Seriously, if your going to use ableton to make a demo, but usually mix on decks you might as well just suck the promoters/owners C*ck, it will get you where you want faster.
Tech-One
Psyentist +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

What it boils down to:

If your going to do your mix in ableton, take ableton to the club...

Or F*CK off with that pre-mixed sh*t...

Seriously, if your going to use ableton to make a demo, but usually mix on decks you might as well just suck the promoters/owners C*ck, it will get you where you want faster.

I reckon it boils down to this....

Give the promoter a fair idea of what you're going to sound like on the night.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

End of the day, a good mix is all about transitions, flow, selection, programming and blending/EQ'ing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than it is about beat matching...it's the first parts most of us tweak and fuck round with to get right, not the mixing/matching...the only people that even notice a minor slipping mix, are the other DJs...general punters don't notice squat unless you totally wreck it!

Ableton, or some other program, is used for most commerical mix CDs as those dudes making those CDs don't have as much time on their hands as you or I to be able to mix up the 75min set, then listen, adjust, re-mix, re-listen over and over...unless your name is James Zabiela...they focus on the programming and selection and as we know, most people releasing a commercial mix, can mix...it's not about proving how good you are or securing gigs, it's about efficiently releasing a CD in a timely manor. Ableton allows you to just go straight to "how do these sound together?" Good, next one...bad, try others, without all the actual beat matching, getting the drop point, recording that mix, listen to it from a non ears in headphones DJing perspective etc etc.

If someone is using Ableton well, and perhaps using their own tracks, re-editing, looping, creating new shit like you should be doing with it...then all good...if it's being used to just whack out a mix coz you're too bored/lazy to stand there hands on making the mix, then fuck right off and die!
seanious +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

End of the day, a good mix is all about transitions, flow, selection, programming and blending/EQ'ing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than it is about beat matching...it's the first parts most of us tweak and fuck round with to get right, not the mixing/matching...the only people that even notice a minor slipping mix, are the other DJs...general punters don't notice squat unless you totally wreck it!

Ableton, or some other program, is used for most commerical mix CDs as those dudes making those CDs don't have as much time on their hands as you or I to be able to mix up the 75min set, then listen, adjust, re-mix, re-listen over and over...unless your name is James Zabiela...they focus on the programming and selection and as we know, most people releasing a commercial mix, can mix...it's not about proving how good you are or securing gigs, it's about efficiently releasing a CD in a timely manor. Ableton allows you to just go straight to "how do these sound together?" Good, next one...bad, try others, without all the actual beat matching, getting the drop point, recording that mix, listen to it from a non ears in headphones DJing perspective etc etc.

If someone is using Ableton well, and perhaps using their own tracks, re-editing, looping, creating new shit like you should be doing with it...then all good...if it's being used to just whack out a mix coz you're too bored/lazy to stand there hands on making the mix, then fuck right off and die!

My biggest problem wiht ableton users is the lack of jesus poses and fist pumping.

i think we have ticked all the right boxes in this thread now
latest track
rooey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

check my sig

for what? a shit mix and a whole heap of wankery. go plan your next one now, I hear beatport is having a top 10 sale!!
You cant hide from the trooth!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooey

for what? a shit mix and a whole heap of wankery. go plan your next one now, I hear beatport is having a top 10 sale!!

Someone might require ointment for that burn....
Tech-One
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
I don't think a demo mix can ever be an accurate reflection of what you would do in a club for various reasons.

The first being that you have a crowd to interact with at a club/gig/party. This has a massive impact on your track selection to say the least. Whilst you can plan every track on a demo mix, a club mix is going to be determined by what ever tracks you have on hand and what the crowd is reacting to.

Another factor is the matter of sound quality and accuracy of mixes. At home you have pristine undisturbed sound you have complete control over. In a club/gig you have no freqn idea what to expect sometimes. This tends to mean mistakes are going to be more readily made on a club system ... but aren't going to be noticed either for the most part.

you can literally feel the "vibe" on a "live" mix ... demo mixes can try and emulate this but will seldom match it
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
rooey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

you can literally feel the "vibe" on a "live" mix ... demo mixes can try and emulate this but will seldom match it

You must have some mad drugs
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
rooey a burn.

the man talks more shit then a sewer contains.
rooey +

Times thanked
<
hahaha you wish

nothing you say can change the fact that your a total shit ****!

also that talking shit n sewer call has been used a few thousand times before. typical shit****ism really.......
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooey

Yikes! Is that really necessary?!

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
^_^you are both dickheads