larrisajones +

boring. thanks ITM

Times thanked
<
if those two keep fighting the internet will break
rooey +

Times thanked
<
I dont get it, people on this site can spout more shit then a 50ft poo geyser but I cant say anything about it???

or is just bout how many posts you have or someshit?
You cant hide from the trooth!
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

you can literally feel the "vibe" on a "live" mix ... demo mixes can try and emulate this but will seldom match it

i agree
anyone who doesn't hasn't got a clue

/end of comment on this topic/
*exits thread and scratches head*
(what have i been missing???)

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rooey

You must have some mad drugs

nope ... i'm just a sensitive kinda soul ^_^
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
rooey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka

i agree
anyone who doesn't hasn't got a clue

haha please explain that you muppet!?
Brad Lee +

Get Local!!!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_m23

^I reckon. Random Mixes when lost in thought etc turn out so much better.

I agree strongly!!!

Recording a demo can be extremley difficult..Especially when you know you are recording..the best is to hit record every time you mix. Try not to program a set also..just play what you feel..of course there are tracks you know that go together.

You will get there mate....just keep at it..Good luck!
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

haha please explain that you muppet!?

only after you hop off that carrot you're sitting on

i wasn't entirely serious - this thread has gotten a bit off the hook for a friday

rooey +

Times thanked
<
HAHAHA fair call mucker!!!

carrot from ass removed!!!

thank fuck for friday!
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
haha wow what a thread!!

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
i take it this thread has just about run its course? everyone has their own opinions on demos/mix cds - ableton vs live mixing - whatever. each to their own, all that matters is that we're having fun while getting our favourite music out there, and hopefully a few of us will be getting paid for it.

i agree wadza this thread got pretty epic since last i checked yesterday
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
this thread gave me a headache once rooey pitched in

tell me...where is your mix for us to have a listen to?

did you do it Ableton Scratch? or on Vinyl CDJ's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
networking ey..

is that where u invite the promo guy back to urs for more pingas?
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

networking ey..

is that where u invite the promo guy back to urs for more pingas?

ROFL

I have been working on a set for Open Deck Sessions! at Velvet Lounge and a couple of things that I've learnt

- Enjoy making your playlist - get into the flow of things....baby
- Coffee works for me, keeps you awake and ADD
- After 5pm beer is an acceptable replacement for coffee
- DO NOT try and wedge a song in if it doesn't work. I had two songs that worked really well together (Give Me Freedom and Strings of Life) and was desperate to ge tthem into the mix. But with the one hour tim constraint I couldn't afford the time, plus the song just didn't work in the mix even after hours of fucking around. Its funny how you can get emotionally atached to songs; try to avoid it and be as objective as possible with out being cold...if you know what I mean
- Girlfriends are a bad disctraction and should be sent off with their friends while your working on a set/mix CD
latest track
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
<
What ever happened to playing to the crowd? Can you do that with a planned set?
Gene Hoffmann at Tresor.Berlin [Sept 2014]
feat. Surgeon, Rrose, Untold, Kangding Ray, Blawan, Green Velvet etc...
Set & tracklist: https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...lin-3-sep-2014
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

I have been working on a set for Open Deck Sessions! at Velvet Lounge and a couple of things that I've learnt

- Enjoy making your playlist - get into the flow of things....baby

If you really want to "get into the flow of things" then throw your playlist away and pack twice as many tracks (or more) than you plan to play ... then wing it
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

If you really want to "get into the flow of things" then throw your playlist away and pack twice as many tracks (or more) than you plan to play ... then wing it

thats pretty fun specially when messed
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strech

thats pretty fun specially when messed

Haha sure, I'll see how the night goes and how I feel and the crowd feels which slot I get etc etc. But its nice to have a set that you know the songs will work well together. See how we go
latest track
mrkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

Thats what I think about using ableton.
If the crowd ain't digging it, you can't just change on the fly. You've cemented in stone what you are doing. The fact that you are literally doing NOTHING whilst you are supposed to be DJing, is a violation of the term DJ. Your not even changeing tracks.
There is no difference to putting a mix cd in and pressing play in my opinion.

I think ableton is a great tool, but should not be used as the only basis to dj. I mean it's just making a perfect mix cd, and pressing play.

Great, use that to make cd's to listen to if you prefer this method, but this should not be allowed to be classified as a DJ.

I don't care how much technology evolves, you stlll need to be doing some things manually all the way through your set to still be classed a DJ, and reading the crowd is one of the fundamentals.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^Huh? What do you mean by that? You can use Ableton just as much for programming on the fly (provided you have enough tunes warped) as you can with decks.
If someone is using it to play their preselected tracks/preprogrammed live set that isn't the software's fault, but rather the operator's.
Unfortunately I've seen too many 'live' sets as anything but live, and as you said, they were more akin to a mix cd than a great DJ set.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
people have been known to play pre mixed cd's too...its not just abelton users...

what was his name....the dude who got caught recently

Quote:

mrkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

^Huh? What do you mean by that? You can use Ableton just as much for programming on the fly (provided you have enough tunes warped) as you can with decks.
If someone is using it to play their preselected tracks/preprogrammed live set that isn't the software's fault, but rather the operator's.
Unfortunately I've seen too many 'live' sets as anything but live, and as you said, they were more akin to a mix cd than a great DJ set.

Yes, that was my point.
The software is not at fault, rather the operator for using it in this particular manner.

There's many aspects to DJing, and pre-programmed which was my point (ableton seems to be the choice for doing this, which is why I mentioned it) compared to adjusting to the audience which is pretty essential in my opinion.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

people have been known to play pre mixed cd's too...its not just abelton users...

what was his name....the dude who got caught recently

peter hook
twiggy88 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

Exactly!

I DJ for fun and always have done live mixes in the sence that I dont have a 1 hour set of this this and this song planned, where nothing is set in stone and you play to what you and the crowd feel.

I have never used Ableton and am unfamiliar with it but is it safe to say it is User Friendly and easy to use?
I can understand if your giving a demo of your mix to a promoter to listen to and you have used Ableton, but in all fairness you should be advising him that you have used Ableton and not mixed it straight from ur decks onto a disk.

Ableton VS Live Mixing - Each to there own I say!
Tech House/Prog tech mix here http://soundcloud.com/dj-twiggy/the-...tech-house-mix
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by welike2party

ah not me mate just some friends I am going with want to see him, I just want to go along for the SLUUTTSS!!!

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkek

Yes, that was my point.
The software is not at fault, rather the operator for using it in this particular manner.

There's many aspects to DJing, and pre-programmed which was my point (ableton seems to be the choice for doing this, which is why I mentioned it) compared to adjusting to the audience which is pretty essential in my opinion.

Dude you still have to pick your tracks, ableton is good, but not that good

you dont just press play and play a pre programed set...if you do, then your a phony, the same as hooksy was with the pre mixed CD's

edit: I sometimes use ableton to make mix's, just because I want to chuck some tracks together and have a listen to what they sound like together, I work full time and rarely get a chance to spend hours mixing and finding out what goes with what, I key everything up, put things in ableton, spend maybe a day on track volumes etc then chuck it on the ipod to listen to when I am driving around, from there I get to know my tracks...

personally I dont see a problem with wanting to give something out that is perfect. I can mix, and am confident that everytime I play out I will mix 100% perfectly, you need to have that mindset before you even contemplate playing out, so why not strive to add something a little extra to my mix, and do things to it that makes it a little special. Playing out and making a demo are two completely different things remember

Quote:

Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

edit: I sometimes use ableton to make mix's, just because I want to chuck some tracks together and have a listen to what they sound like together, I work full time and rarely get a chance to spend hours mixing and finding out what goes with what, I key everything up, put things in ableton, spend maybe a day on track volumes etc then chuck it on the ipod to listen to when I am driving around, from there I get to know my tracks...

contradiction much? you work fulltime (omg!) and therefore don't have hours to mix, but you spend a whole day fucking around with track volumes?

Quote:

personally I dont see a problem with wanting to give something out that is perfect. I can mix, and am confident that everytime I play out I will mix 100% perfectly, you need to have that mindset before you even contemplate playing out, so why not strive to add something a little extra to my mix, and do things to it that makes it a little special. Playing out and making a demo are two completely different things remember

if you're confident that you can mix 100% perfectly every time, why do you need to use ableton to make a perfect mix?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
^^^^ Im with this guy..... If I have just bought a new load of tracks I will mix them up and monitor all the levels on my mixer while in the mix

So a hours worth of tunes will take a hour to make a mix with all the volumes pretty well spot on 10 mins to convert to MP3 and be transfered on to my phone

So 70 mins and im done and listening to all my new tunes

Why you spending all day on programming on ableton and trying to fix volumes? espesh if it's only for you to listen to your new tracks

Just mix it by hand/ear and make it sound right from the get go.... easy
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

spend maybe a day on track volumes

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
sorry replace day with hour or two

I'm not saying I never record my mix's done on cd's, I have a a massive collection of 'hit record and have a mix', the luxury you have with ableton is being able to listen to it...then go 'hang on, i'll bumb that forward 16 bars...yep thats better" then you can make notes for each track and remember that for when you mix them on cd's. it takes the trial and error out of mxing IMO...its a tool I use, like Mixed in Key, that helps me save a little bit of time, which TBH when your studying full time, working 60+ hours a week along with other activities, is a god send. I just see it a bit like using a washing machine instead of washing my clothes by hand...I know I can wash my cloths by hand, and be happier with the end result, but no matter how much I beat the G/F she just doesn't want to wash my dirty undies by hand.,

Quote:

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

contradiction much? you work fulltime (omg!) and therefore don't have hours to mix, but you spend a whole day fucking around with track volumes?

If I spend a day making a mix, it will normally consist of about 40+ tracks, normally when I have bought a load of new tracks, and want to try and fit them into old ideas/transitions I have in my head

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

if you're confident that you can mix 100% perfectly every time, why do you need to use ableton to make a perfect mix?

Making a demo/mix is different to playing in a club...a good set in a club doesn't always mean it will sound good recorded. you miss tiny slips on a huge system, making a mix I want to listen to just for enjoyment, or give to my mates, I want it to be perfectly smooth.

I dont hand abelton demos out to possible gigs though, and if I was to, I would write that it was an ableton mix, but I play on cd's. But I haven't handed a demo out for months...dont really have the time to be playing out at the moment

Quote:

rooey +

Times thanked
<
far out trent, you just get pumped everyday on this site. its better to say nothing at all and have everyone just think your an ass rather then know it.

by the way can I check out some of your 40+ track mixes please?
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
<
Just to set the record straight, I'm not saying that you can't mix a completely cool Ableton set on the fly, reacting to the mood of the crowd etc... I was just replying to Seanious's post above mine whilst he was talking about pre preparing sets at home.

The only preparation that I ever did whilst digital DJing was beat mapping.
Gene Hoffmann at Tresor.Berlin [Sept 2014]
feat. Surgeon, Rrose, Untold, Kangding Ray, Blawan, Green Velvet etc...
Set & tracklist: https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...lin-3-sep-2014
winstonuk +

Times thanked
<
you'd be amazed by the amount of gigs i have had by just handing out to promoters and bar managers a burn't copy of the latest ministry of sound cd..

Ok, ive been caught out a few times, but the majority of them (ie) small bar gigs, where you'll be starting just want to make sure you play the right music not how fluid that last 4 min mix was or how you can lay a pella over an obscure bedrock track...

yea agree with everyone else record your mixes but dont sweat on it.

I also get more gigs now by handing out my DJ CV than a Demo.. But i've been in the game a few years now so most people know i cant put 2 records together every 5 mins.
www.myspace.com/winstonandyoddy
www.soundcloud.com/winstonandyoddy
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonuk

you'd be amazed by the amount of gigs i have had by just handing out to promoters and bar managers a burn't copy of the latest ministry of sound cd..

Ok, ive been caught out a few times, but the majority of them (ie) small bar gigs, where you'll be starting just want to make sure you play the right music not how fluid that last 4 min mix was or how you can lay a pella over an obscure bedrock track...

You admit that they want to hear that can play the right music, right after admitting you burn off copies of MOS CDs and flog them as a demo?!?!

You = fucking muppet
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonuk

I also get more gigs now by handing out my DJ CV than a Demo.. But i've been in the game a few years now so most people know i cant put 2 records together every 5 mins

Why not?!?! It's not hard...if you'd been playing as long as you say you have, you should be able to do that easily.

It takes me all of 20-30 seconds to get a new track close enough to matched to bring it in, then adjust as you go.

The only reason I'm not dropping tracks that quickly all the time is because most of the tracks I play are longer than 5 mins, more like 6-8mins...if a track is good enough to play in the first place, why not play most of the track? And since I love long smooth mixes, if a track is 8 mins total, there's always at least 1.5 mins of it is mixed over at the start and the end, only leaving 5 mins of track playing solo...so yeah, I am dropping tracks every 5 mins or so.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
This is all Beatports fault
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

far out trent, you just get pumped everyday on this site. its better to say nothing at all and have everyone just think your an ass rather then know it.

pot..kettle...black??

Quote:

by the way can I check out some of your 40+ track mixes please?

I would prefer not to chew up my bandwith trying to impress a muppet like you

there are three at the top of this page if your interested...2 of which are cdj mixes...where abouts can I find one of yours mate??

Quote:

rooey +

Times thanked
<
look I called you muppet first your gonna have to come up with something else. Sucks that being original is something you obviously suck at.

comeon chumpo I want tracklists as well

Ill post a mix soon enough. I want to get back into spinnin (been out of the game for a few years). just tryin to decide on a set up

and look I dont pretend to be some boffin unlike you. you just sound like a self obbsessed private school twat that thinks his farts smell like pot purri
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
please point me in the direction of where you called me a muppet...

as I said, three recent mix's up the top.

some boffin?? what the fuck does that even mean??

now I have officially wasted more than 3 minutes on trying to comprehend how unbelievably stupid you are, and I have come to the conclusion that you are a complete and utter idiot. end of story.

Quote:

Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
I would like to see a Rooey Vs Trent DJ Battle
Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty-Sly

I would like to see a Rooey Vs Trent DJ Battle

agreed
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
rooey +

Times thanked
<
gurafuckingtee Im smarter then you sunshine

your a brain dead nong. you dont even know what boffin means and your sposed to be some sorta intellectual. like far out buddy dont you know when to give up? Put Roo back on ignore cause Im one little saucy number that you just can not tango with buddy. Im startin to feel sorry for ya in a way. Im sure you cant be THAAT bad

poor little fella.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

I'll bring my Ableton and cdj's and rooey can bring his...um...aahhh....mixed cd of the Ashton Shuffle and we'll go from there...

Looking at that...Rooey would win, Ashton Shuffle FUCKING ROCK

Quote:

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

gurafuckingtee Im smarter then you sunshine

your a brain dead nong. you dont even know what boffin means and your sposed to be some sorta intellectual. like far out buddy dont you know when to give up? Put Roo back on ignore cause Im one little saucy number that you just can not tango with buddy. Im startin to feel sorry for ya in a way. Im sure you cant be THAAT bad

poor little fella.

sorry...just counting up all the spelling and grammatical errors in that post....give me 5 minutes and I will get back to you...

someone please tell me...have I missed something...is this just another 'trying really hard to be funny' alias? I can see the trolling...I'm just not seeing the lols...

Quote:

Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
so it's a battle then....

A youtube link from each of you (rooey and Trent) of a live 10 min mix please
rooey +

Times thanked
<
see thats why your a clueless nong. you mentioned the ashton shuffle thing and that gives ol roo a massive belly laugh each time

yeaaaaaah bruz 'tha shuffle' are dopest ****s around!!!

thats what I reaaaally believe. They are not that bad, far from good, but to be honest they are alot more accomplished then most sydney acts. I just like bringing em up and then laughing at all the stupid elistist wannabes up in sydney who try have a dig for whatever reason.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
fuck that’s right I completely forgot you're from the ACT...

your viewpoint on anything = completely null and void.

Quote:

rooey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

fuck thatís right I completely forgot you're from the ACT...

your viewpoint on anything = completely null and void.

cheers bud

you do a better job making yourself look like such a total dickhead then anything I could ever say about you.

I reckon we should have the dj battle.... 10 mins each, post the vids on utube or whatever

whats say you trent?
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
Now the challenge has been thrown down for sure...... mix up or shut up
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
BAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA!!!!!!!!

i really think there's some kinda angry vibes this thread is putting out.

Would it help if i said everyone is equally shit, and it doesn't matter how we put a mix together, we all might as well go and piss into the wind.

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
give me a couple of weeks, just got to finish off my project, then I will be more than happy to chuck something up on youtube...it will be interesting to see Rooeys mix considering he doesn't actually have any gear..

I have to stop baiting the ACT bogans...it hurts my brain trying to work out what they are saying

Quote:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »