House, Techno and Progressive

Redshape - Shaped World

Tools
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Redshape - Shaped World

Heavily into the RA Podcast series and looking for some new music I notice that the 51st podcast in the series was Redshape. Redshape was not a name that I was familiar with and presented as (perhaps I was naieve in expecting some Blackstrobe style electro) a potential alternative to minimal that was all the rage in early 2007. This was solely due to the fact that his photo was a red mask. Reading on I found out that he has kept his identity a secret, only ever playing behind the mask.

While there has to be I would be lying if I said that he sounds like Blackstrobe, however the massive basslines and dark, sinister melodies staged with a foundation in Detroit techno more than satisfied my needs. Christian Vances Myspace used to have Redshape in the sounds like column of his profile. If you know Vances work the most apt description of Redshape I can come up with is Vances evil bizzaro world double producing techno music.

It is safe to say that I have been hooked ever since. Redshape is, quite simply, a brilliant producer. I wont bother with naming favourite tracks, there is no point naming his entire catalogue.

Comparisons with Carl Craig are brought about by Redshapes own admission to the use of analogue instruments when producing, and influence of Detroit techno. The comparison seems draws the conclusion that, in my opinion bizarrely, that Redshapes music is less intelligent. The comparisons are pointless because it is clear that Redshape operates with a very different MO.

There is also the matter of Redshapes identity. The Redshape themed threads I have read invariably turn into debates about his identity and the revealing of his identity but a dimwitted distributor. There is also an undertone that the mask itself if nothing but a marketing ployI cannot disagree more. The mask has allowed an already accomplished producer to work schizophrenically to make, in my opinion, the most distinctive and catching techno I have heard.

Do yourself a favour and keep the identity a mystery, I think it is more romantic that way.

There was tour on the cards for early 2008 which fell through but it is only a matter of time before Redshape lands on our shores, bringing our electronic music society to its knees.

Last edited by carramrod: 04-Apr-09 at 10:36pm

carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
The dominance
Redshape LIVE @ Berghain, Berlin, 1.07.2006

Redshape LIVE @ Boem Tsjak Festival, Netherlands, 21.10.2006

Redshape LIVE @ Kozzmozz, Belgium, 31.12.2006 (One of the great introductions)

RA051 - Redshape, 2/04/2007 (Live PA)

Redshape LIVE in Rome, Late 2007

Redshape LIVE @ Tresor, Berlin, Dec 2008
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
RA Interview

Quote:

Redshape: The man behind the mask

He makes deep Detroit techno and he wears a red mask at all times. Meet Redshape, the phantom of techno.

One of the most exciting new names in techno over the last few years, the enigmatic Redshape has united music fans old and new with his timeless, rugged brand of Detroit-style electronics. Known for always wearing a spooky red mask, the true identity of the Berlin-based producer is a closely guarded secret—but we were able to snag a rare interview with the man himself, where we talk about secret aliases, ‘true’ techno, and his plans for the future…

Redshape emerged from the shadows in around 2006. Where did this character come from and why?

In the mid ‘90s, I started to realise that there is more that you can do with music besides just listening. At that time, so much energy was in the air and hearts of the people that it was hard to concentrate on one individual style or habit. So it took me nearly ten years of DJing and playing live to reach the point where I felt like doing more than simply music production.

Your most noticeable visual feature is your mask. Why do you wear this wherever you go? Does it symbolise anything?

It kinda symbolises the "unknown" space around or behind the music and the scene. A red static shape gives a basic grounding to all of the tracks that I do. It gives a special deep atmosphere to my shows, which are as honest possible.

Your music distinctively recalls the golden age of ‘true’ techno. How do you feel about the techno scene today?

‘True techno’, as most people use it, is only a phrase like many others. Actually, ‘true’ really means honesty, love and the desire to express something. It's like people invented that phrase as they know what came before but they are incapable of changing anything. There is still a lot of ‘true’ music out there and the ‘golden age’ doesn’t need to be recalled, it’s still here—just looking different than before.

Your mysterious identity follows on in the tradition of mythical acts like UR, Basic Channel, and Kraftwerk. In some cases, this was because of shyness, in some cases a marketing technique, and in some cases used to form a political statement. Do you feel you are making a political statement somehow? Are you interested in politics in a wider sense?

Neither shyness, marketing or political statements are the reasons for me. Maybe a musical/political thing, if that exists. But actually, the way people react on the identity is what it’s meant to be. For me, I just decided that it leaves more space for ideas if people don’t connect my name or life to the tracks I make.

How do you feel when people compare your music to Carl Craig’s?

Carl Craig has been a great inspiration for sure so I don’t have any problem with that. The techno scene isn’t too different compared to any other music scene, there have been always comparisons and mutual inspirations—and being compared to Carl Craig for me is a good thing in the end.

Your music has a rough, analogue feel. Are you using analogue instruments, mainly?

The whole mix is done 100% analogue, but not all sources I use are like that. I love analogue synths as well as the cheap sound of ‘80s drum comps, which were mostly digital. Digital has become more ‘analogue’ then two or three years ago and it’s getting better and better.

What are your opinions on the digital age of electronic music, vinyl vs. MP3, software vs. hardware, etc?

As long as the balance and the freedom of choice are still there, I really enjoy the development. A lot of things have been said regarding this theme. The only quiet wish I may have is…save the vinyl.

Do you believe that techno music, by definition, should be somehow futuristic? Or are you more interested in the sounds of the past?

Music or art in general shouldn’t be anything by definition. I have my personal way of thinking and of looking back at the last decade of electronic music. Everybody should go for the music he likes, and yeah, basically I prefer the sound of the past, but try to make music of today.

It must be hard in the modern Internet age to keep a secret identity. Do you think someday you will be forced to reveal yourself?

I really hope that there are people who enjoy to have a little bit of that romantic unknown thing, especially these days where nearly nothing is unknown and unseen anymore. I don’t have any plans or thoughts about that. I really just hope that it won’t be destroyed.

What are your plans for the future, musically and personally?

I’m working on new music at the moment and trying to reach the next musical step for me, which may be an album in late 2008. Also I want to improve or refresh the live show for ‘08 as I need to keep myself excited about it, and that can only be good for the audience hearing it. Many thanks to all the people who supported the show and my music over that last two years!

Source
Strech +

Times thanked
< 252
Defo has some sick tracks...

Hopefully he comes over
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
He's awesome live.

Also check these two bomb releases under his real name:-

http://www.discogs.com/Sebastian-Kra...release/683705
http://www.discogs.com/Sebastian-Kra...release/628077
Dollar. Dollar. Bills. Y'all.
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Someone please bring Redshape out here!!
cmontyc +

Times thanked
< 120
redshape is sick
JAZZPAYBACK +

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by carramrod

Christian Vances Myspace used to have Redshape in the sounds like column of his profile. If you know Vances work the most apt description of Redshape I can come up with is Vances evil bizzaro world double producing techno music.

you mean there's a possibility that there's something more evil and bizzaro than me?

hahahahahahahaha.....

YES.

Bring on Redshape I say! The bollocks.

▲MAR1 Kana / Brisbane ▲FEB8 Revolver / Melbourne ▲FEB2 LooseKaboose / Sydney ▲NOV24 w/ DJ Koze / Berlin ▲NOV9 Berns / Stockholm ▲AUG31 Tresor, Berlin
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Yes but Redshape makes techno not prog...
JAZZPAYBACK +

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse

Yes but Redshape makes techno not prog...

hilarious.

hehehehe.

▲MAR1 Kana / Brisbane ▲FEB8 Revolver / Melbourne ▲FEB2 LooseKaboose / Sydney ▲NOV24 w/ DJ Koze / Berlin ▲NOV9 Berns / Stockholm ▲AUG31 Tresor, Berlin
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
< 113
REDSHAPE
Without music, life would be a mistake.
However +

Times thanked
< 0
I agree 100% he's a great producer, i enjoy spinning his many records.
Shame i cant get my hands on his 'playground' record yet.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Just a bump and an idea of what is currently making the man tick:

Redshape DJ Charts May 2009:

Quote:

01. Paperclip People - Steam [Planet E]
02. Shake - Levitate Venice Label [Morphine Doser]
03. Tom Trago - Voyage Direct [Rushhour]
04. Story Title - Story002 [Story]
05. Redshape - Alpha On The Rocks [Present]
06. Literon & Ovatow - Permutations [Frantic Flowers]
07. Kai Alce - Alpha Revisited EP [Deep Explorer Music]
08. Newworldaquarium - Trespassers (Redshape Trespassed Mix) [Delsin]
09. Ribn - Mined EP [MOM]
10. Losoul - Care [Playhouse]

Redshape DJ Charts June 2009:

Quote:

01. D.Dozzy & Nuel - Aquaplano 000
02. Crystal Bois - Can You Handle The Acid? [Sex Tags]
03. Kris Wadsworth - Mainline [Hypercolor]
04. Norm Talley - The Journey [Third Ear]
05. Redshape - 2010 EP [Delsin]
06. Snuff Crew - Fell Inside [Hour House Is Rush]
07. Levon Vincent - Six Figures [Novel Sound]
08. Sven Weisemann - Shove EP [Artless]
09. STL - Silent State [Smallville]
10. Legowelt - Slompy Jitt EP [MOS]

DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
Nice one.

What a classic bomb Steam is. Wish CC would produce some more Paperclip People stuff.
TECHiONE +

Times thanked
< 75
+1

Yeah I dig his sounds too, nice, big, analogue heavy, atmospheric techno, yum!
peccadilios +

lady to ladette

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse

Someone please bring Redshape out here!!

i reckon
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Soma threatened a tour that would have happened about a year ago but it fell through

By the way, there is a DJ set for download on his myspace:

Redshape House Mood DJ Set

(right click and 'save as')

Last edited by carramrod: 07-Jul-09 at 04:26pm

chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
< 212

Quote:

Redshape LIVE @ Tresor, Berlin, Dec 2008

This mix is sick!
muse +

Times thanked
< 266
Still undecided about Steam, maybe it'll grow on me.

And I love the opening to that Tresor set - very cool, and unique to do that sort of thing @ peak time in a massive club.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Read the bold in the text

A Chat With: Redshape

Quote:

“Don’t mention the mask.” That’s the advice of the person who arranged this interview with techno’s mystery man.

Or maybe ‘almost mystery man’ is more correct. If you really want to know the true identity, well, it won’t take much digging. Redshape probably doesn’t mind if you do. But why not play along? There are too few secrets, too few mysteries, not enough romance. Redshape – both visually and sonically – harks back to a different era: one that plays on the Man Machine idea, and the definite path that followed it.

One of the tasks we set ourselves before the interview began was not to mention two things outright: the mask and Detroit techno. “It’s good that you say that,” agrees a smiling Redshape, drinking beer and smoking throughout, “otherwise I might have punched you.” He hasn’t given many interviews, but the ones he has have tended to focus on the more obvious aspects of what he does. (Of course, some of the above topics inevitably come up, but at least we tried.) The decision to start the project in 2006 is an interesting one. Redshape had a reasonably successful career with a different project beforehand. So what compelled him to effectively ditch all that he had worked for, and start from scratch?

People still ask about the mask, but now it is more about the music and how I make it
“It was the music I was making – the music took over the decision. That’s how the project started.” Three years into it, how do you feel about the persona you created now? The flurry of interest – which peaked around four EPs in with the release of ‘Telefunk’ on Styrax Leaves and ‘Dogs Day’ on Millions of Moments – has subsided. He nods, and you sense that this is what was supposed to happen. “Of course, people still ask about the mask, but now it is more about the music I am making and how I am making it.” We talk about over-exposure, and how easy it is for emerging artists who find themselves suddenly in the spotlight to forget to say no, to forget to think about how much is too much. I suggest that he has a more definite plan, working with a small number of like-minded labels and choosing his remixes carefully. “I had a relationship with Music Man from before this project. Delsin came about through looking for distribution, and then Stryax Leaves after. And then my own label, Present, which is my own playground.”

How do you decide what goes where? “It depends on what the track is. Each label is like a certain side to Redshape: Present is for one thing, while for example Music Man is more for the club sound, and Styrax for the other. And for example, ‘Plonk’, that was a track I had before this project, something I went back to and re-worked and decided that it had to work on Present. So when I am making music, I always have to have the special atmosphere of the label in mind - as I never decide afterwards which label to give the track to."

You think a lot about what you do, and how you present yourself to the world, don’t you? “Yes,” he nods immediately. He has spoken previously about what he describes as his “control freak” personality, and it’s clear from our conversation that this is his modus operandi. It’s odd – when you know so little about the person behind the mask, you create a certain mental image of their personality. His habit of conducting interviews largely by e-mail has added to the slightly robotic invented persona. But in the flesh, it feels like there are two Redshapes - or perhaps one human, and one man machine. Before we met, we passed on the backstage stairs of the club, with him offering a cheery hello. And when we are introduced, he is warm and polite. When the tape starts rolling, he remains friendly, but flips into Redshape mode: my questions are met with immediate, definite answers. This is a man who knows what he wants.

But we may be about to see another side to what he does. A debut album has just been completed, one that will, as he puts it, see him explore different territory. Due out in October, he describes his approach to making it as different to what has gone before it, believing that an album should be just that: different to a series of 12”s. “None of the tracks are above 123bpm, and it will be quite a deep record. I have been working on it since maybe last September, so it has been quite intense. So that is why I enjoy nights like tonight,” he smiles, taking a swig of his beer. His recent forays into this territory on the ‘Tribute To Ramin’ compilation on a Styrax Leaves off-shoot and references to Theo Parrish and Moodymann suggest the record will worth waiting for. Typically, he has a definite plan for how it will be issued too – continuing the vinyl-friendly approach that was in part responsible for creating the Redshape mystique in the first place. “It will be released on coloured vinyl, with bonus, vinyl-only tracks on 10”.”

Speak to any Redshape fan, and they will most likely reference the ‘D’-word in the first few sentences. And while this is true, this interesting, thoughtful producer is certainly no revisionist. Talking about influences, he warms to the theme, giving what feels like a pre-programmed answer - one that is probably qualifies as a mission statement. “When artists in Detroit were making music, they were thinking about a feeling, about the future. And that is what I try to do – not making music that sounds like the past, although there are references, but it’s about the feeling, the emotion about the future.”

It probably explains why he has been quiet on the release front of late.

Last edited by carramrod: 18-Jul-09 at 07:16pm

benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
Gotta say I have not heard much from this dude but lookin forward to the listen now after all this hype!
Soundcloud
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
< 43
my sis seen redshape in London not too long ago, said he rocked! seen some footage too looked crazy

love the mask!
nonamaka +

Times thanked
< 0
guys like redshape are leading the way, im stoked people are discussing such talent.. Plonk = red hot!
here is our sydney gig promoting these and similar sounds

http://www.inthemix.com.au/whatson/event/53723/Fervent
myspace.com/nicheparties
myspace.com/nonamaka

Last edited by nonamaka: 30-Jul-09 at 11:29am

derek lang +

village idiot

Times thanked
< 314
yeah plonk is way cool

and this:

Media Player
YouTube

carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Plonk (Dub) is my favourite.

I also love the Robot / Neon EP.

Not to mention the earlier stuff.

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
< 43
SOMEONE bring him out!!!!
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
The Dance Paradox is coming!!!

Quote:

Enigmatic techno producer Redshape will unveil his debut album in October.

Delsin is set to release the record, which will follow in the footsteps of his past work. Raw analogue techno is the name of the game across the eight tracks that will make up the release if the sound samples at the label site are anything to go by. And those who just can't get enough Redshape will be able to purchase the album on vinyl with a limited 10-inch EP released on his Present imprint.

Tracklist:

01. Seduce Me
02. Garage GT
03. Bound (Part 1 & 2)
04. Man Out of Time
05. Globe
06. Rorschach's Game
07. Dead Space Mix (Edit)
08. Dark & Sticky

Delsin will release Redshape's The Dance Paradox in October 2009.

RA Link to article.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Just in case there are some out there unaware that ther have been some new releases in the last few months.

The first of the year was the Alpha on the Rocks EP on shapes own Present:

Discogs Link: http://www.discogs.com/Redshape-Alph.../master/104351

Beatport Page: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/...%20The%20Rocks

The latst release is Shapes 2010 EP on Delsin

Discogs Link: http://www.discogs.com/Redshape-2010-EP/master/158776

Beatport Page: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/...4604/2010%20EP

Last edited by carramrod: 22-Aug-09 at 04:18pm

DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
Redshape - Warrior [Music Man]
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
< 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMPM

Redshape - Warrior [Music Man]

great track!
Without music, life would be a mistake.
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep audio

great track!

It's sick! So slow though...

Someone bring him out!!!
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Media Player
REDSHAPE@BERGHAIN KANTINE 10-6-09 - YouTube
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Chart and Mix
Redshape DJ Charts September 2009:

Quote:

01. Theo Parrish - Space Station [Sound Signature]
02. Dreesvn - Tall Stories [Acido Records]
03. Robert Hood - Resurrection [M-Plant]
04. A Made Up Sound - Rework / Closer [A Made Up Sound]
05. STL - The Unseen Voyage [Something]
06. Levon Vincent- I Owe You Everything [Novel Sound]
07. Horizontal Ground - HG 01 [Horizontal Ground]
08. Newworldaquarium - The Force (Ame Remixes) [APE]
09. Mike Dehnert - Umlaut2 (Levon Vincent Mix) [CBS]
10. Patrice Scott - Excursions EP [Sistrum]

I haven't listened to it yet ... as if it wont be awesome:

Redshape LIVE @ Rote Sonne, May 2009

As I side note, I have been re-listening to my Arnaud Rebotini stuff a lot lately. While his overall style is different to Redshape's (Rebotini favours a huge electro flavoured techno) the analogue sounds are something that Redshape fans might just enjoy. Some samples and sets are in the Blackstrobe thread.

Last edited by carramrod: 01-Oct-09 at 09:48pm

EuphoricJ +

Times thanked
< 0
Redshape - misc usage

Loving it

Just got the delsin 2.0 compilation.

Loving that also
lordhuk +

These go to 11.

Times thanked
< 12
Redshape - 2010 [Delsin]

A brutal, epic techno opera. Outstanding stuff.. up there with the year's best I reckon.
"... are you funky with the machines, or do the machines make you funky?"

lordhuk's Octave One tribute mix: http://soundcloud.com/lordhuk/lordhu...ve-one-tribute

lordhuk's Robert Hood tribute mix: http://soundcloud.com/lordhuk/lordhu...t-hood-tribute
DSK 1984 +

Times thanked
< 0
nice.
DJ-DSK
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
The Dance Paradox is out.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this.

Very juicy sounding remix is in our future as well (taken from Shape's myspace):

Quote:

Martyn - Seventy Four (Redshape Mix) - 3024

Seventy Four is a great tack and lends itself to a Redshape touch up taking it and us into the realm of soviet techno head cavery.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=6751

Quote:

Whether you know the identity of Redshape or not, his debut album will certainly reinforce his reputation and also surprise. The Dance Paradox delivers eight exceptional cuts, but it also uncovers a new face beneath the mask, carefully laying the foundation for plenty of future mystery and invention.

The opening tracks rely more heavily on Redshape's now familiar creepy H. P. Lovecraft and '70s sci-fi ambience and mid-tempo pace. There's plenty of the analogue warmth and progressive, compositional style honed during Redshape's lengthy live tours. "Bound (Part 1 & 2)" in particular is an epic, winding journey.

Amongst the charted terrain there are little signs that something different is on the way: The jazzy pads and the exceptionally hallucinating mix of a police siren that make up part of "Garage GT" are new ideas, while the production is marginally tighter, reining in the fuzzy edge of the old sound. But it is the appropriately named "Man Out of Time" that well and truly gives the game away. Out of the sharply swirling synth mist comes the crash of live drums hammering out a breakbeat to the accompaniment of an arabesque melody.

"Rorschach's Game" is the most extreme change in direction. More abstract, it draws its influence from both psychological ink blot tests and the masked hero from The Watchmen, lovingly combining both live and programmed percussion elements to interchangeably contrast or complement the glassy sound matrices that crystallise and flow around them.

Later tracks are rife with live percussion and weirder sounds, as if Redshape's sound is propelling itself into the outer limits as the album goes on. The warped menace of dance floor killer "Dead Space Mix (Edit)" is another standout moment, with pulsing, heavy electronics bedding in nicely with jazzy cymbal work and light snares. The closer "Dark and Sticky" and the pitch bending synth squirts of "Globe" are somewhat conservative arrangements, both unfolding on a tight compositional axis, but still have one eye on strange new worlds away from the dance floor. Those who can get their hands on the limited edition Paradox Dubs will also find more evidence of this new sound.

The Dance Paradox is rich with cinematic atmosphere, invention and aural sleight-of-hand. At once familiar it is also disorientatingly new and it sets itself apart by its remarkable sound design with plenty of fuel left over for the dance floor. It's one of the year's best albums, and reinforces and reinvents Redshape's previously held awe of mystery and unknown.

Disco, is this your review?
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 105

Quote:

Disco, is this your review?

nup. a different chris.

but ssgs may be doing something with redshape in the near future...
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
soma +

Agent of change...

Times thanked
< 11
Getting sent the album next week, can't wait to hear it.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
< 165
I listened to it last night, its smokin.
zizou +

Times thanked
< 7
It is an excellent album.

Bound (Part 1 & 2) IS detroit.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
< 165
He'll be here in April, I'm as close to excited as I've ever been in my life.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Chach my man, you'd better not be messing with me.
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230
Dude is seriously good. One the few things I'm consistently loving out of DE lately.
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
I dreamt about Redshape and The Dance Paradox last night
SurfinBird +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chach

He'll be here in April, I'm as close to excited as I've ever been in my life.

Woah

Thats massive.

Absolutely mindblowing artist.

Is Australia ready for him though?
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
We need to find a naturally occurring cave for Shape to play in.
ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
Ok so im way out with whats going on.

Redshape = Sebastian Kramer ????
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
If we are going down this path there is a question I would like answered.

Is Sebastian Kramer the same as Sebo K?

I could never get confirmation of any aliases for Kramer or Sebo K's full name (it has always struck me as suspect given that these details are usually always available through discogs or other sources).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »