The DJ Booth

"industry standard"

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
mmc_79 +

Times thanked
<
"industry standard"
how long do you think it will stay this way for? I kinda get sick of always seeing the same setup, unless theres a reason i dont know about.

but it must change eventually, right?
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
How long was it a Urei + Sl1200 MKIIs?
mmc_79 +

Times thanked
<
im not exactly a veteran so i dont know. but i can only think of one club ive been to that doesnt have a djm 800 any more.....
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^Oh really? It aint quite that bad here - I'd say it's 70%, 30% between Pioneer and A&H in Sydney.
Finding anything else is difficult, though. I'd certainly be keen to see/play on some Eclers and Vestax, and having a few more clubs with rotaries would be nice.
mmc_79 +

Times thanked
<
I'm sure there are more that don't. But I'm going to be upgrading my mixer soon, hopefully. And I wonder if it's worth going down the route of the whole standard thing but I think I'm better trying to have a mess around with alternatives. Would be more interesting to see differences
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
nah. Fuck that, unless you love the DJM800, don't get it. I like it because it's easy (the color filters, the reverb and echo), but I wouldn't buy one - doesn't suit my aesthetic and I think they sound quite clinical.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Why wouldn't a club buy pioneer? They are backed by a good support network. Makes the choice easy in my mind.

Sum it up, a club owner sees $$$, he wants his shit cheap, reliable and easily reparable/replaceable.

As for home, get what ever you like, nobody is stopping you.
Tech-One
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
Do what I do. I've got one cdj1000, and that's all I need. I'm gonna get a xone3d when I can afford it. HA! like that will ever happen

who am I kidding I'm stuck with this dxm09 for the rest of my life.
NEW MIX UP!!! --->>VIEW MY MIXES HERE! <<----- Techy/Techno/prog stuff!!!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Why wouldn't a club buy pioneer? They are backed by a good support network. Makes the choice easy in my mind.

errr.... pioneer usually take 6-8 weeks for repairs.
step on my cubes.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
We always have a replacement if our mixer goes down, same in every club ive worked in.

Even when i lived in townsville pioneer repairs didnt take 6-8 weeks.

how long is pioneer repair time compared to say ecler, or A&H?
Tech-One
SwordSnare +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<
hahahahaha
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<
A&H don't break... they break you
http://www.soulshine.org
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc_79

how long do you think it will stay this way for? I kinda get sick of always seeing the same setup, unless theres a reason i dont know about.

but it must change eventually, right?

a long time
www.nickvidal.com www.shesydney.com
VIDAL CREATIVE www.vidalcreative.com
powerstruggle +

Eat me

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony d

A&H don't break... they break you

In Soviet Russia, amiriiiiight?
AUDIT +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

We always have a replacement if our mixer goes down, same in every club ive worked in.

Ecler took 3 months with my NUO3 and they have my NUO5 atm and they said roughly 2months
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_neal

who am I kidding I'm stuck with this dxm09 for the rest of my life.

Could be worse
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<
Consider the company I work for.

We own around 30 DJM-800's, 60 CDJ Mk3's.

2 Years ago we owned 20 DJM-600's and 40 Mk1's.

If a club's mixer/ decks die, we just go swap it out, fix it, then swap it back in. Easy.

When a new contender as a 'standard' comes along, it is a serious outlay of cash to get all the clubs up to spec with the new gear, including service spares.

If every venue was different, how would we manage spares and support? Pioneer doesn't fix any of our gear - I do, and it's a lot easier dealing with common faults and spare parts than looking up the service manual every time a new bit of gear comes in.

Also Pioneer just have a good track record for build quality and commercial support.

Nobody complains when I install an 800 & 2 x MkIII's. They just sign the bill. If I was to put a Vestax in, I'd be quizzed why we're putting in a non standard mixer. And so goes the cycle.

I LOVE Vestax mixers, but would never put one in a club, because the build quality of current models is flimsy. Completely pass on Ecler mixers for installs.

A&H got it right with the much needed sound quality of the 62 (over the DJM-600), but then fucked it up with the 92 by refusing to put in effects. They lost the market share there. Then Pioneer went hmmm, 'everyone complains about the sound quality of the 600, and loves the filters in the A&H, so lets design the 800'!

Smart move by Pioneer.

The next change in standard will be Mk3's being phased out for Mk4's. We are also starting put 'in house' serato boxes in a lot of venues.
Moving overseas - selling heaps of stuff - check it all out here.http://shop.ebay.com.au/raredjspares...&_trksid=p3686
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkyant

The next change in standard will be Mk3's being phased out for Mk4's. We are also starting put 'in house' serato boxes in a lot of venues.

just wondering what they could add to the mk3 to warrant an over haul.
bar adding effects to them(which i wouldnt really be too excited about) or bigger internal memory for loop points hot cues etc.

also agree wit the vestax comment.i absolutely loved any vestax mixer i had and for me they were rock solid,but i havent messed with any of the new models to be fair
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<
Bye bye CD, hello Usb.
Moving overseas - selling heaps of stuff - check it all out here.http://shop.ebay.com.au/raredjspares...&_trksid=p3686
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Bye bye CD, hello Usb.

i guess.it does seem to be a good feature on the cdj 200,or 400(whichever one has it)

doesnt flash memory have enough space on it these days to hold enough tracks on them
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
<
out of interest which vestax ones do you find flimsy? i've got a cx but haven't used any of the other newer ones
www.nickvidal.com www.shesydney.com
VIDAL CREATIVE www.vidalcreative.com
headhunta +

Times thanked
<
if it aint broke dont fix it if something works and works well in a club enviroment why change
tios2001 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I LOVE Vestax mixers, but would never put one in a club, because the build quality of current models is flimsy. Completely pass on Ecler mixers for installs.

why would you not put an Ecler in?? (Am interested in getting one personally is all...)
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Bye bye CD, hello Usb.

Which company do you work for?

We have 1220s, 1000sMK3 and an 800 with serato in the club i work at, to me its awesome...
Tech-One
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tios2001

why would you not put an Ecler in?? (Am interested in getting one personally is all...)

i had a nuo4
found it pretty good but im pretty rough on the faders(im not one of these delicate volume increase guys,im all eq )and they didnt hold up too well but id recommend them.
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tios2001

For a few reasons.

The first being that they are such an unfamiliar design for most DJ's, which results in complaints from the client.

The second being that they are bitches to repair (they aren't built to work on).

Another reason is that they do not offer any real clear advantage over the 800, enough to warrant dealing with points 1 & 2.

Also personally, I don't like mixing on them

Nick:

All the current Vestax models use the same components. Generally the one's with the bigger knobs fail because it allows the user to exert too much pressure on the pot inside. I once put a Carl Cox model in at a venue's request and after 3 months and 4 repairs we replaced it with a Xone 92.

Last edited by funkyant: 02-Jun-09 at 10:40am

SwordSnare +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

We have 1220s, 1000sMK3 and an 800 with serato in the club i work at, to me its awesome...

Please don't bring a discussion on the industry-standard DVS into it....
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
Are the new vestax unreliable? I've personally only used the old gear (10+ years old), but it all works like the day it was made...
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

Are the new vestax unreliable? I've personally only used the old gear (10+ years old), but it all works like the day it was made...

Only in a club.

Very different story to home use (refer to the Drinks in the DJ Booth thread).
SwordSnare +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Only in a club.

Very different story to home use (refer to the Drinks in the DJ Booth thread).

Drinks in the DJ Booth threadt is a good read...but painful at the sametime...ouch.
Mercury-Drinker +

but still...

Times thanked
<
I hate the fact that DJM 800's are the 'industry' standard. The effects sound like tripe and they feel like a toy.

Would much prefer an A&H with a simple filter that can't be beaten. 4 Band EQ > 3 Band EQ also.
Eros le Tardfack +

lol at teh you

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash

just wondering what they could add to the mk3 to warrant an over haul.

a turbo button

Quote:

Originally Posted by fidgetgod

hey there i set a fourm up to post links too songs of fidget house message me for the link

i need moderators admins and just plain members ill trust onley some people to be admins and mods so please join my forum mutch appereciated fidget god

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury-Drinker

I hate the fact that DJM 800's are the 'industry' standard. The effects sound like tripe and they feel like a toy.

Would much prefer an A&H with a simple filter that can't be beaten. 4 Band EQ > 3 Band EQ also.

AMEN! Xone92 = sexiest mixer alive...I'd hit it!
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

a turbo button

u reckon you can adjust the boost to run at 22 psi
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury-Drinker

I hate the fact that DJM 800's are the 'industry' standard. The effects sound like tripe and they feel like a toy..

They aint THAT bad
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Consider the company I work for.

We own around 30 DJM-800's, 60 CDJ Mk3's.

Thats awesome... where do you work? any jobs going?
go_get_bent +

Times thanked
<
The reason they are the industry standard is because they are so rugged. Nothing else is as tough, as cheap, and as reliable & easy to maintain as a DJM-800. Sure, maybe they don't sound the best, but they still sound farken good and get the job done well. End of discussion.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
800's were a massive improvement.
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_get_bent

The reason they are the industry standard is because they are so rugged. Nothing else is as tough, as cheap, and as reliable & easy to maintain as a DJM-800. Sure, maybe they don't sound the best, but they still sound farken good and get the job done well. End of discussion.

bahahah, tough, rugged and reliable fucking lolz, they are made like fucking toys, all bits are plastic and would snap with a bit of a harder push, easy to maintain, proper dj gear dont need no fucking maintenence, look at vestax hi end mixers, all parts made of metal, rock solid, i had mine dropped from a height of 1.5 meters when i was moving a house, the thing didnt even get a scratch on it and still works fine after 10 years of abuse, can you say the same about pioneer mixers?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
who wants a military grade mixer? all the pioneer h8rs sound like they NEED it...
Tech-One
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
the djm-909 is a military grade mixer, too bad they never made a 4 channel version as it's about the only aspect it gets bagged on
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwordSnare

Install of Traktor Audio 8 DJ and Serato SL3 in clubs (you can't get much more indusrty standard than that)
seth111 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

the djm-909 is a military grade mixer, too bad they never made a 4 channel version as it's about the only aspect it gets bagged on

Amen macc4, fucks me why they didn't do it either!
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwipt

Install of Traktor Audio 8 DJ and Serato SL3 in clubs (you can't get much more indusrty standard than that)

ive worked as a sound tech for a club for almost a year and i can say i have NEVER seen traktor used. All ive seen is the SL1 gettin used almost every night where we have atleast one person using the SL1. Wouldnt mind seeing the A4/A8 in action (hear the difference in quality etc.) but if there was an "industry standard" DVS i think it'd have to be serato...

EDIT...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwordSnare

sorry... hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

could that mean better 1200s as a result?
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RohanP

ive worked as a sound tech for a club for almost a year and i can say i have NEVER seen traktor used. All ive seen is the SL1 gettin used almost every night where we have atleast one person using the SL1. Wouldnt mind seeing the A4/A8 in action (hear the difference in quality etc.) but if there was an "industry standard" DVS i think it'd have to be serato...

Really? Maybe you just aren't in Sydney. I'd say most of the non hip-hop DVS kids are using Traktor, here - there's certainly a big push from Spank, so that defines a big chunk of what gets used in the electrohouse and tech house scene.
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

Really? Maybe you just aren't in Sydney. I'd say most of the non hip-hop DVS kids are using Traktor, here - there's certainly a big push from Spank, so that defines a big chunk of what gets used in the electrohouse and tech house scene.

haha nah Adelaide wh00p wh00p.. yeh we are way behind but even the electrohouse guys (myself included) use serato..

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

pioneer are shocking with after market.... do you even know where their repair facility is? it's in brisie yeah?
step on my cubes.
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

pioneer are shocking with after market.... do you even know where their repair facility is? it's in brisie yeah?

They are excellent for commercial after market support - which is one reason why they're in all the clubs.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

After seeing DJ Craze at a dj workshop when he just got his 909 i was soooo close to buying one. But more into mixing now, so yea 4 chan would def be the bomb.
Tech-One
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »