"industry standard"

Page 2 of 2
  Tools
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
I looked after one while a mate was overseas and fell in love with it.
Kept an eye out, and picked one up for $750, in mint condition, still in the box!
Never had any problem with it, and never had the need for more than 2 channels.
They have a session in input, so you can run another mixer into it if more is needed
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
have always been surprised that the 909 didn't take off more.. skratchworx rate it as a mighty fine mixer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

SwordSnare +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

After seeing DJ Craze at a dj workshop when he just got his 909 i was soooo close to buying one. But more into mixing now, so yea 4 chan would def be the bomb.

A scratch mixer, but with fx ...that's the main drama I have with scratch mixers...no fx
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
lol you can even plug in a foot switch to turn effects on and off, just in case your hands are too busy!
SwordSnare +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

lol you can even plug in a foot switch to turn effects on and off, just in case your hands are too busy!

leave it to your own imagination
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Off topic: Does anybody remember the Craze Backscratch? The body trick where he turned around but seemed to still be scratching with his back for a second or so?
Tech-One
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
yeah, he was doing it at parklife 07
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Off topic: Does anybody remember the Craze Backscratch? The body trick where he turned around but seemed to still be scratching with his back for a second or so?

I've seen him juggle the tracks cross fading with his back/sholders, but it was still his hands spining back the records. Pretty impressive that he kept it in time!
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
The reason these pieces of shit DJM800’s are in the clubs is because the DJ’s want their toys and the clubs sound designer can’t be bothered arguing with them. The DJM800 is consumer audio at best and doesn’t belong driving a decent club system, like all the current PIONEER DJ gear, It might have been an improvement over the DJM600 but that’s not saying a lot!
The CDJ1000 is another toy but it is unavoidable as it is a required toy, it can be made to sound a lot better with the use of a good DAC and I can only hope they improve the converter for the MK4 but I doubt it!

I give club owners options ECLER SCLAT, RANE MP44, RANE MP2016 etc. otherwise they can buy a system of someone else. For us a club mixer has to be able to sound good at full tilt without harsh distortion (not all distortion sounds bad), It must be constructed well enough to survive at least 5years without service, It must be rack mountable to limit movement and damage, It must be analogue (one day this will change I’m sure) & it must have the control modern DJ require (channel EQ, cross fader, send/return & good quality booth output).

I’m sure I’m more picky than a lot of installers but that’s their problem, people in my business use to care, when I started playing in clubs the system sounded good and most clubs had either a RANE MP24 or a CITRONIC SM350. And I love my sound systems almost as much as my vinyl!

We use to have some world class dance club sound systems in Australia back in the 80's now you have to go to the US, China, Japan or even Singapore to actually see what people are doing to modern dance club systems!

Sorry I’ll go back to my work bench now !

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au

Last edited by kieren: 03-Jun-09 at 11:55pm

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Nice spiel, kieren! What's you thoughts on Allen and Heath, just out of curiosity...
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
sorry i rant on a bit.....

I use to love the old A&H gear and the ZED16R is a nice bit of kit for the money.
I'm not a fan of the DJ mixers, If they were cheaper I would probably have a different opinion but say the 92 which is the standard A&H club mixer, It’s priced up so high that I could buy a ECLER SCLAT, RANE MP44 or even a FORMULA SOUND FF6000 which are all better quality mixers in the off the shelf Linear slider mixers market.
Mind you I think the VF1 is a good little unit and their consoles aren’t the greatest sounding but they are great for the money you spend!
So it is really money only that turns me off the A&H Mixers, I just don’t think you get what you pay for! Mind you I think it sounds like PIONEER are going to give the same thing a go with upping the RRP on the DJM800 to over the $3k mark when it should be around the $1k mark instead, mind you when PIONEER ripped off the SCLAT with the DJM1000 they managed to make a average copy of a high-end mixer and sell it for more than the SCLAT cost (had me confused)

Also personally I can’t stand the channel slope or 4band EQ of the 92 but that’s just me, The EQ on a DJ mixer is great for dropping out the bass without effecting the vocal like you would on a Isolator but it only needs to be 3band that way you have bass, vocal & high the 4band I’m assuming is 2.5 octaves each is just splitting the vocal in half, I just don’t get it!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
wait did you say CITRONIC SM350?

are they actually good?
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
The original ones weren't bad they had the habit of breaking faders but other than that they were a nice clean sounding mixer. Mind you CITRONICS switched to making crap in about 91/92 and after then the revised SM350/450 was a peice of junk, It was actully the samee time NUMARK stopped making decent mixers!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
MuntedRaver +

Hells Satans

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

sorry i rant on a bit.....

Don't apologise,

I have learnt alot of very interesting things from your rants over the years.... and your passion for vinyl is quite admirable

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de

God bless you Autumn Acid, you've created celebrity-look-alike-crackhead-bingo.

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuntedRaver

Don't apologise,

I have learnt alot of very interesting things from your rants over the years.... and your passion for vinyl is quite admirable

Passion or OBSESSION?????

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »