Tools
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gussigan View Post

negatives are that the service was fairly terrible and it was quite expensive

This was a little true when I went too, although we had a rather large group, so that may have affected it.

Price wise it wasn't maccas cheap or anything, but at the same time, it wasn't overly exhorbitant either I thought. Definitely worth a repeat visit in my books, although when it'll happen I dunno.
The power to form our destinies lies in the Heavens.
The right to change our destinies lies within Us.
Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,768
yeah, it probably is just normal perth expensiveness. i think it was because it was the first time i'd gone out in perth since i got back from holiday haha
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20

I'm gonna be shocked all over again when I get back from Sydney after Christmas
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
I hate Perth expensiveness =(
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
ditto just got back from melb

$2.50 for a coffee

and i went to dinner at the seafood restaurant on southbank
$17 for an entree (assorted sashimi - incl scallops and yellowtail)
$36 for a seafood platter
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. O.W
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
And I'll bet it was awesome too. And probably better quality seafood than the rubbish we get over here.

Then there's the $6-$7 for a pint... Le sigh...
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chester View Post

ditto just got back from melb

$2.50 for a coffee

and i went to dinner at the seafood restaurant on southbank
$17 for an entree (assorted sashimi - incl scallops and yellowtail)
$36 for a seafood platter

mmm I love scallop sashimi ^-^
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
the seafood was god

but i think WA seafood is pretty good too

just have to pay for it

though that being said even cooking at home - kailis and the innaloo seafresh shops has some great stuff
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. O.W
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chester View Post

the seafood was god

but i think WA seafood is pretty good too

just have to pay for it

though that being said even cooking at home - kailis and the innaloo seafresh shops has some great stuff

indeed.

Yeah I get my seafood from those two places or Festival Fish in North Perth
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Ate out yo' mamma last night in Perth,

too many fishy overtones, also texture left a bit to be desired,

not enough juice either

would not go back

2/5

Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Those are the only two places I've been able to find good fresh stuff. Of course it's always expensive at those places, but at least you're assured of the quality.
danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
< 3,505

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Ate out yo' mamma last night in Perth,

too many fishy overtones, also texture left a bit to be desired,

not enough juice either

would not go back

2/5

are you talking about this place?

Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
Went to the Red Cray for a work lunch. Got the half crayfish royale. So so good. Nice entrees too. Desserts were pretty standard fare. Will definately go back.

Where can I get some proper spicy food in Perth? Like no holding back blow your head off stuff. Sick of seeing *warning extra hot* on a menu only to be sorely dissapointed.
http://soundcloud.com/blue-tune
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
< 182

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusus View Post

Those are the only two places I've been able to find good fresh stuff. Of course it's always expensive at those places, but at least you're assured of the quality.

If you are a Southie another excellent seafood place is a random house on Carrington street between South street and Leach highway, not far from Fremantle cemetery (opposite side though). They usually have some signs out. Straight off the boat stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de View Post

It's the same as going out on a busy street and looking at the people around you, most of them are fgts.

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
went for Garden (High) Tea at The Byrneleigh in Nedlands today

- yummy scones, with awesome raspberry jam and cream
- awesome assortment of mini baguettes w smoked salmon, roast beef, chicken, fig and brie
- nice carrot cake
with choice of Twinings tea and glass of bubbly for $36

^-^
Quarrion +

Perth Modz: not boring

Times thanked
< 16
Ice cream chimichanga at La Cholita = win!
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Went to Gypsy Tapas in Freo for my birthday. Pretty good dinner. $40 all you can eat pretty much, and they've got some awesome stuff on the menu that even surprised me. Really wanna go back again and try more of it, and perhaps without the banquet. As usual, they brought out a bunch of bread to help bulk everyone up and not order too many extra bits.

Next visit, the eggplant confit is happening. I really wanna know how they confit an eggplant.
Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
i went to gypsy tapas aaaages ago and remember enjoying it

from memory food was tasty and cheap but it was the jugs of sangria that got us on the bill haha
Gusface Grillah
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
theres been some bad write ups about it latelty

changed hands or something

was good when i went

and you can never go pass sangria

i went to biovuac in northbridge last week

was great food (cantina style)

really enjoyed it!

Last edited by Chester: 20-Dec-11 at 02:41pm

marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
I didn't have a problem this time round. I'll keep a keener eye out for any issues next time I go.
Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
i think i still lived in freo when i went so that would have been 3+ years ago
Gusface Grillah
Maiden +

hanging for 4.30pm on Friday

Times thanked
< 4
So this place has been there for years but i always thought it was just a take away pizza and pasta shop but have learnt recently that you can go up and eat there and take your own booze and just sit on the tables outside... so i'm not even sure of its name but i think it is just pizza and pasta and it is at the Boulevard shops in City Beach, next to the french place called George's.

We got a large pizza and a pasta and shared between 3 and it was awesome, everything is really fresh and the fact you can just munch away while drinking your own booze makes it a really cheap night. You could even duck around to Grooper and his Wife if you wanted some seafood to start thenight!
"Go Confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined"
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Sounds kinda like Flipside in Wembley. They've got the Stanley next door, which is a really quaint bar. Full of olds (like 50's plus), but it was still cool. No dickheads around, great service from the bar staff (who seem to know everyone in there), and you can bring your Flipside burger in to eat.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
just remembered I have a Scoopon given to me for birthday last year for the Quarter in the CBD to use by mid Jan >.<
musmus +

Times thanked
< 2
Is there any where in Perth for hearty pub meals and continental beers, non of this lager pish?
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
I don't know much about beer .. but the Generous Squire in the city do awesome huge pub-style meals, and some fancy stuff too.
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
lucky shag would be a goer

the english pubs are decent and do have a good range\
moon and sixpence
durty nelly's
musmus +

Times thanked
< 2
The Genrous Squire is looking good! Damn I forgot about James Squire, thats the sort of gear I am on about!

Lucky Shag looks cute, apart from tghe video link on google to all the english hoons taking over in the ashes! haha.
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,403
Not sure exactly where to post this so will go with Perth crew haha..

Im heading over to Goldcoast ( surfers paradise) and Cairns in a few weeks.. Any ideas of nice restaurants to check? Any and all welcome, I will be going with my missus so somewhere I can take her would be nice too. Cheers!
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdb2 View Post

Not sure exactly where to post this so will go with Perth crew haha..

Im heading over to Goldcoast ( surfers paradise) and Cairns in a few weeks.. Any ideas of nice restaurants to check? Any and all welcome, I will be going with my missus so somewhere I can take her would be nice too. Cheers!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/350/Quee...staurants.html

click along the side for areas

=P

(I only went to the Gold Coast a couple of years ago for 1 day and 1 night, but we went to Cha Cha in Broadbeach for Japanese and it was awesome) =)
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
When I was in Cairns I stayed at Trinity Beach, worth a visit for relaxing overlooking the water without the crowds. There was a nice cosmopolitan-style restaurant at the end of the main street (on your right when looking at the beach) that had great food, service and views! I think Trinity is a bit more upmarket than Cairns proper, but there is no nightlife.
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,403
Thanks guys . I have been checking the likes of urbanspoon etc but I often find the best places are those you hear from people's experiences.

Ill check both places you mentioned out though. Cairns we are just doing some diving etc so dont need any nightlife, will be doing that in GC though .
bussyboy +

Sounds fair

Times thanked
< 32
Moo moo for steaks in broadbeach too was great when I was there - that was about 3 years ago now though...
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20
Not really Perth, but it still counts.

Went down to Albany for work this week and finally made it to Wild Duck. We had the degustation with matching wines, which was pretty damn good at $120 each. Top of the list was the Crispy Skin Duck Breast with Creamed Peas, Carrot Puree, Baby Carrot and Duck Glaze. Second in line would have to be the Seafood Chowder Shot with Seared Scallop. The cool thing about the chowder was the way they presented it. It was brought out under a glass lid that was opaque. When the waitress lifted up the glass, all the smoke escaped and wafted around, giving out that lovely smokey aroma. Only then did I realise they'd done a bit of cold smoking to the chowder to help add flavour to it.

The wine matching was good, but only paired really well on a couple of occasions. An example of a mismatch (at least for me) was with the beef cheek dish they served. The beef cheek was quite sweet owing to the onion jam and red wine glaze, and so was the wine they brought out. I think it was a cabernet merlot, where I think a light shiraz would've been a better option to help counterbalance the sweetness of the glaze.

All in all, 8 courses (including bread and a palate cleanser) for great service, excellent fresh local produce and good wine. Can't go wrong.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
checking out Lapa Brazilian BBQ tonight in Subiaco - will report back later ^-^
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanni View Post

checking out Lapa Brazilian BBQ tonight in Subiaco - will report back later ^-^

it was OK, nothing spectacular imo - some of the bits of meat were a bit dry. Churassco in Sydney was much better.

$49 all you can eat.
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
There was a review about it in the Weekend West a few weeks ago...
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
Gee Frizz +

Cos Im not noticeably fat

Times thanked
< 48
Blue Moon: I am a bit late with this reply but there are a few options - however you have not specified what sort of cusine you are after beyond "spicy".

- Bengal (Fremantle) do a Sadistically hot vindaloo - don't even bother egging them on (as my friends have accused me of doing
- There's a Singapore/Malaysian place in the Asian foodcourt on James St that does a wildly hot seafood laksa
- A Thai place on Hampton Road Freo does it pretty hot from distant memory

If I were completely mad I would opt to take a jar of dried chillis with me, for there have been occasions where I wish I had.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
went to That Little Mexican Place in North Perth last night - disappointing stuff.
- didn't get menus for a good 10 mins
- guacamole with maybe 8-10 corn chips for $16 - eep >.<
- I ordered Pozole - a shredded pork stew - was more like a watery broth and quite bland =( I had to ask for a spoon. !?

Afterwards we checked out the Classroom - small bar on Charles St (opposite the Maccas and BP) - cool place! Very busy though, lucky to get seats. Had a cherry margarita - yummy! We were going to order desserts but the kitchen was way too busy so we decided another time.

Tomorrow might check out Aisuru Sushi in Northbridge if they're not too busy. But I know it's going to be expensive (especially after coming back from eating $1.50ea sushi train in Japan) =(
marcusus +

Chameleonic

Times thanked
< 20

Quote:

went to That Little Mexican Place in North Perth last night - disappointing stuff.
- didn't get menus for a good 10 mins
- guacamole with maybe 8-10 corn chips for $16 - eep >.<
- I ordered Pozole - a shredded pork stew - was more like a watery broth and quite bland =( I had to ask for a spoon. !?

When I went, they were super busy as well. However the waiter was super apologetic, and you could tell they were run off their feet. We were the same with our orders in that they took a bit of time to get around to us.

We got the cheese dip I think it was, but we had plenty of chips to go with it.

I can't comment on the Pozole, but everything else sounds like they were on one of those nights that was busy for them. Just my 2 cents so you don't completely write them off on the first attempt.
angelbel +

This bird you cannot change

Times thanked
< 297

Quote:

Afterwards we checked out the Classroom - small bar on Charles St (opposite the Maccas and BP) - cool place! Very busy though, lucky to get seats. Had a cherry margarita - yummy! We were going to order desserts but the kitchen was way too busy so we decided another time. (

WHAT!? I must try this. I think it's going to be my favourite thing in the whole wide world.
Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
That was pretty fucking ninja.

Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
TLMPlace can be a bit hit and miss. We've been a couple of times later in the evening only to be told they aren't seating new customers (they now have a sign up with last seating time). Food wise it has been pretty good. We had the Pozole as well and liked it. We went on a Tuesday night though, so much quieter.

Can NOT wait to try the Classroom. My physio actually told me about it (her son-in-law or something?) a while ago .. there's some dessert cocktail on there involving rum and bananas that I have to try!
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
yeah and its staggering distance home....
Gussigan +

Times thanked
< 3,768
yeah i remember enjoying that little mexican place in north perth (years ago though)... went to the one in vic park recently and it was pretty average.. mains were pretty tasty but $16 for guacamole with only one avocado in it is ridiculous even for perth, surely, and the service was so hopeless (and i'm usually the one saying to the gf "c'mon, they weren't that bad")
Gusface Grillah
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
< 557
Yeah, Classroom's only a short drive from mine, so might check it out soon.
kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
Has anyone been to Purl Bar in Subiaco? Just printed a lunch special offer $22 per person for a two course lunch w glass of wine/middie. Not very highly rated on Urbanspoon but might check it out anyway, pretty cheap for Perth!
musmus +

Times thanked
< 2
Anyone got any hot spots in Fremantle - going to be there at Easter. Cheers.
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
Went to P’tite Ardoise Bistro in Highgate last night (it's just opposite the Brisbane).

It was really busy for a Thursday night but we had a good table and good company. Offered fresh warm bread rolls with french butter when we sat down (you choose your roll from a giant bread basket). Yum.

There were 4 of us - we shared 3 entrees: Liver parfait (dunno what kind), pork belly and scallops, creamy garlic prawns. They were all so good and we mopped up the sauce from the pork and creamy garlic prawns with a second round of bread rolls.

For mains we all had something different. Duck l'orange (me), pork medallion (Chach), rabbit on some kind of mash and casserole of the day which was a seafood casserole. All meals looked amazing but eveyone had food envy when they saw mine... best duck I have ever had, it melted off the bone and had delicious crispy skin. So good.

It's BYO so we shared a nice bottle of champagne and red wine (french of course) that our friends had bought. Would have been nice to have dessert and coffee but our friends had to get back to their 7 month old... we had a nightcap at the Brisbane instead.

The bill for the 4 of us came to $240 - I think that included corkage at $10 a bottle as well... they asked us to sign a petition on the way out so that they can get their licence approved. God this town is ridic when it comes to licencing. BUT then again if it was fully licenced I would have had way more to drink last night and the bill would have blown out - it was one of those nights where I wanted to order lots of wine!

Anyway I highly recommend, you have to book quite far in advance though

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
Quarrion +

Times thanked
< 16
Be interested to know why they haven't got their licence!! I thought there was a restaurant there before?

(We still haven't got ours because one of the doors from the gallery next door faces into our courtyard .. I mean, WTF?)
1UP Microcinema
1UP on Facespace
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
< 100
Yeah not sure why. I was just embarassed that we hadn't bought any wine with us (I'm sure they would have said something to whoever made the booking but it wasn't passed on to us).

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood

« Previous Thread Next Thread »