Minimum DJ rate per hour?

Tools
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
< 0
Minimum DJ rate per hour?
Hi guys & girls,

Just wondering what you think a dj should be paid per hour absolute minimum in both a club and a house dj situation.

Personally I charge around $300 per house party, function and normally that's for around 4 - 5 hrs. I think I need to start charging a little more as it will help my finances I also provide a smoke machine and lights etc and get approximately 4 parties for everyone I do.

Clubs/Bar I personally think that for myself who plays very rarely at clubs or bars (the good one's anyway) I think around $80 per hour absolute minimum. I wanna get a good idea so I can start setting a standard in rates.

Thanks
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
< 7
Unless you are doing it for a living or a "mobile dj" for a living, its a hard call

Charge whatever you think is fair....i think you'll find most of the guys here don't do the "mobile dj" style that you do.

When i play a house party, genernally the owner will organise the speakers, amps, lights etc from my recommended hire store and i will bring my music and cdj, mixer, tts etc.

Since i am not out of pocket, i would charge a max 50 bucks an hour.....i bought my gear because I love mixing, not so i dont feel i have to recoup on by playing parties etc

If you haven't played much in clubs, i would be expecting to doing the opening set and doing it for a bar card or zippo until you get your name out there
Teknikall +

Times thanked
< 425
$100p/h minimum for weddings and parties
at least $50p/h for club gigs, depending of course

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
< 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknikall

$100p/h minimum for weddings and parties

WHAT????
If someone tried to charge me 500+ bucks to DJ at a house party from say 7 - 12, i would laugh hard
There's so many guys out there just itching to play in front of someone
Hire some Mackies 120 bucks max, then offer free booze and you'll have people willing to play i bet.

Unless we are talking a formal party, but i get the vibe this guy is talking about house parties, nothing flash....eg no pressure, you fuck up, no one cares
the_dL +

Times thanked
< 0
dj's like anything are a you get what you pay for situation, i charge a minimum of 500 for private events because i hate doing them, the people that put them on more often than not think they have bought you for the night, you non stop get asked to play shit, you get abused, you have to setup/packup your own gear, the list goes on. For clubs and bars, 50 is the absolute minimum
http://lowinthedeepend.blogspot.com/
Justin_m23 +

Times thanked
< 5
Yeah private parties are only expensive cause people are fuckwits and treat you like an ipod. I've literally had people yell "skip!" and "next track" for a whole fucking night. started off charging $100 bucks, but have gone up to $300 just cause its so hard to deal with shit like that.
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah it is hard to deal with shit on a constant basis! Awesome feedback. Yeah I do believe you get what you pay for, and dealing with shit constantly has to have a descent price tag attached to it. I love playing out, but can do with the cash as well for the shit you could possibly encounter and that it's good to get something back from the equipment you paid top dollar for.
Fergus +

Sven Who???

Times thanked
< 0

1 Millions dollars
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
< 0
Me personally for parties i'll charge $300... but for mates rates i'll drop to bout $150 - 200...

playing out at a club? only done it a few times, but im starting out my price as $50-60... as an 'up and comer' i cant afford to be too pricey, u know?
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknikall

I've spoken about this before on ITM.

If you are charging or only getting paid $50 ph,

you are cheapening yourself and the industry..

Standard rates in Sydney start from about $75ph

By playing for anything less than the standard rate:

- You are selling yourself short, and will find it difficult to increase your wage later on

- Booking agents and promoters come to expect to pay DJ's lower prices, and the standard rate will drop for everybody.

- You take work away from professional DJ's who do this for a living.

- You send a signal to whoever books you that you are an amateur, and can be taken advantage of

- Frenzie
GROOVE THERAPY - RADIO SHOW & PODCAST
AWARDED 2SER FM BEST MUSIC SHOW 2008
Funk - Soul - Disco - Hip Hop - Beats - House
Presented and mixed by Frenzie since 2002
Friday lunchtime 12pm 107.3 2SER FM
www.groovetherapy.com.au

Last edited by forenzik: 12-Jun-09 at 12:25pm

D-VE +

Times thanked
< 0
^^^ No need to shout.
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
< 0
Yep close friends I do it for a very cheap price, sometimes even free. I'm wondering if there is a going club rate down here in Melbourne that is different to that in Sydney?

The reason I ask this is that I have sent in a demo to 2 clubs down here in Melb, both responded positively and once uni holidays begin (for me after tomorrow night) I'm going to have a good crack at the clubs, just need to call the people as I told them I would speak with them once exams finish about playing out. Now I'm sure there will be negotiations, so my hourly rate should be minimum $75?
Something_Good +

Times thanked
< 14
I wouldn't say there is a 'going rate' in Melbourne. To give you an example Spacey Spacey charges $200-$250 an hour and he has fucking lines cuing up to have him play longer than the rabbit proof fence. On the other hand your average junior burger bedroom banger should be stoked to get a gig first.

Most fresh dj's are only getting hour long sets anyway, and unless you know people or are extremely good at what you do and can pull a good crowd i wouldn't turn my nose up to a club gig that offered you $50 and drink cards, especially if it's your first gig.

Once you get a few gigs under your belt, and have shown that you have skills then you can start thinking about upping your price. Just remember you need 2 be getting gigs before you can even try and evaluate what you are worth. there's a shitload of dj's in Melbourne willing to take your spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moisty

I'd conquer my fear of taking it up the ass for $30,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by realkirill

it was like an annoying drunk girl thats taken control of an ipod at a house party

seannash +

Times thanked
< 0
to be honest if your starting out you should be prepared to play for free until youve proved yourself capable of rocking a floor.
i used to be so excited to play i never worried about the money.in fact ive played most of the big clubs in new york and id say i got fuck all money for it.

i dont think the rant about cheapening the going rate for a gig has any merit.
if your good enough people will pay to have you play.

and lets be honest folks,were just playing other peoples music,mixing one into another.

if you make your own tracks you can charge more.its very hard to become a pro dj these days without producing
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
< 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash

its very hard to become a pro dj these days without producing

I would say near impossible
Anyone care to name a "big" dj that has emerged in the last 5 years that doesnt produce?
seannash +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

Anyone care to name a "big" dj that has emerged in the last 5 years that doesnt produce?

not that im a fan but eddie halliwell is probably the only one.
but yes he is a rare case.
if people want to earn a living out of djing either start producing or do the mobile dj thing.
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
< 0
Stuff the mobile dj thingy, I'm into Fl Studio right now haha!
forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-VE

^^^ No need to shout.

I think there is. I don't normally post like that, but I wanted to give that post some emphasis. It's a real important issue, and one all younger Djs should be aware of, and I find it crazy that Djs still don't know this stuff.
www.groovetherapy.com.au
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
< 0
Ive come to accept that the my love of djing will not earn me a living...

I feel i have this awesome hobby which provides me endless enjoy, countless intros to new ppl and a little bit of cash on the side... while having working life at the same time. The sooner ppl start to realise this, the happier they will become. I guess its just a sad fact that only the very very very lucky few can turn this into a career (apart from mobile djing, but thaqt is NOT very rewarding to say the least!).
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
I dont know how you guys can do the whole mobile DJ thing. Do you even like the songs that you play ?
Phorte +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

not that im a fan but eddie halliwell is probably the only one.
but yes he is a rare case.
if people want to earn a living out of djing either start producing or do the mobile dj thing.

another one that easily comes to mind is dj AM... but yea, very rare these days.
forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

to be honest if your starting out you should be prepared to play for free until you've proved yourself capable of rocking a floor.

playing for free? No way - That is definately selling yourself short. If you're a young Dj and are looking for experience, then start making a name for yourself by doing some of the following:

- put on your own gigs
- create a blog
- produce music
- do a radio show on your local community station
- do a podcast
- write for the local street press

these are all things that will help establish you as an identity. No need to do free gigs.

Quote:

i dont think the rant about cheapening the going rate for a gig has any merit.
if your good enough people will pay to have you play.

Believe me, it does. I've been DJ'ing professionally for 20 years in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney. I have seen the standard rate drop from $100 down to $75 (and now kids are playing for $50 ??!!). It is a reality, and something that many of the older DJs who have been around for more than a couple of years can attest to.

I have also had my fair share of arguments with promoters who have tried to pay me lower than the standard rate, because some kiddie Dj was happy to play for that previously - and I've also lost my fair share of gigs due to "budget" DJ's taking over the slot. You can't tell me this has no merit - I live this shit daily.

Quote:

lets be honest folks,were just playing other peoples music,mixing one into another.

Well, I'm not going to get into that old argument, suffice to say that professional DJ's actually have quite high expenses: records, Mp3's headphones, styli, laptops, software etc.. Not to mention the day to day expenses of actually running a small business in order to continue getting work. It all adds up, and it all comes off the money you earn.

I'll also say this in regards to your point: crap DJ's just play records - Good Dj's are entertainers - Better Dj's are business minded.

Quote:

if you make your own tracks you can charge more.its very hard to become a pro dj these days without producing

Perhaps true to a point, and I certainly do encourage younger Djs to get into the studio - as I said earlier, it all helps in becoming known as an identity - But it won't fast track you into the big league of DJs.
Dedication to the art of DJing, constant practice, obsessive love for the music, being professional when dealing with venue management & promoters, are all other things that are 100% essential to DJing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

Quote:

ts very hard to become a pro dj these days without producing

Don't confuse being a pro Dj with being a big name DJ. Take a look in your own city, there are plenty of professional DJ's who earn a living off it that don't play to stadium crowds. Sure it's not easy making a living off DJing, but it's not easy making a living off any profession. I earn fairly respectable money as a DJ, more than I ever have with any fulltime job I've had over the years. I'm certainly no house hold name, and I don't aspire to be - But I absolutely love what I do, put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and people in the industry know me - It's really no different to any other profession in that sense.

anyway - The bottom line is, if you are DJing for less than the current standard, you're really screwing yourself. It's a real cop-out to say "but i'm in-experienced, I'll play for free". Seriously, why would anyone want to do that? There are so many things one could do to gain exposure for yourself.

Sorry to come across so blunt with this post - But I've been around the block and back more than a few times, and this stuff is something I feel very strongly about.

- Frenzie
www.groovetherapy.com.au

Last edited by forenzik: 12-Jun-09 at 12:25pm

seannash +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

playing for free? No way - That is definately selling yourself short. If your a young Dj and are looking for experience, then start making a name for yourself by doing some of the following:

- put on your own gigs
- create a blog
- produce music
- do a radio show on your local community station
- do a podcast
- write for the local street press

these are all things that will help establish you as an identity. No need to do free gigs.

Believe me, it does. I've been DJ'ing professionally for 20 years in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney. I have seen the standard rate drop from $100 down to $75 (and now kids are playing for $50 ??!!). It is a reality, and something that many of the older DJs who have been around for more than a couple of years can attest to.

I have also had my fair share of arguments with promoters who have tried to pay me lower than the standard rate, because some kiddie Dj was happy to play for that previously - and I've also lost my fair share of gigs due to "budget" DJ's taking over the slot. You can't tell me this has no merit - I live this shit daily.

Well, I'm not going to get into that old argument, suffice to say that professional DJ's actually have quite high expenses: records, Mp3's headphones, styli, laptops, software etc.. Not to mention the day to day expenses of actually running a small business in order to continue getting work. It all adds up, and it all comes off the money you earn.

I'll also say this in regards to your point: crap DJ's just play records - Good Dj's are entertainers.

Perhaps true to a point, and I certainly do encourage younger Djs to get into the studio - as I said earlier, it all helps in becoming known as an identity - But it won't fast track you into the big league of DJs.
Dedication to the art of DJing, constant practice, obsessive love for the music, being professional when DJing and dealing with venue management & promoters, are all other things that will certainly help you as a DJ.

Don't confuse being a pro Dj with being a big name DJ. Take a look in your own city, there are plenty of professional DJ's who earn a living off it that don't play to stadium crowds. Sure it's not easy making a living off DJing, but it's not easy making a living off any profession. I earn fairly respectable money as a DJ, more than I ever have with any fulltime job I've had over the years. I'm certainly no house hold name, and I don't aspire to be - But I absolutely love what I do, put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and people in the industry know me - It's really no different to any other profession in that sense.

anyway - The bottom line is, if your DJing for less than the current standard, your really screwing yourself. It's a real cop-out to say "but i'm in-experienced, I'll play for free". Seriously, why would anyone want to do that? There are so many things one could do to gain exposure for yourself.

Sorry to come across so blunt with this post - But I've been around the block and back more than a few times, and this stuff is something I feel very strongly about.

not going to turn this into an im a more professional dj than you argument but ive done my fair share of big gigs(official wmc after party,pacha(new york)cielo(new york) )and a good few other places all round the states.ive also ran successful nights in new york so i see the promoters side in this too
ive earned little or no money for these but im not really that bothered to be honest as i really love what im doing and just do it for fun.
id never try and have a dj career based on my djing skills(which ill happily say are well above average)but you cant complain bout people asking for a cheaper rate than you.theres perfectly capable djs out there playing for cheaper than you so the promoter will use them.
this is basic economics.
you may be better than them you may not but most promoters are looking to turn a profit so money is a factor to them.

i admire that you are making a living from it but in the current financial climate you gotta adapt.there wasnt that many djs around 10 years ago so it was a bit easier to be in demand.technology has almost taking away the learning curve from djing(unfortunately)and to be honest i expect alot more from a dj these days than simply mixing two records.
if your doing something unique,providing a unique experience fair enough but if your doing what everyone else is doing,and with the current popularity of djing, of course the price is going to drop

even the local dj has to up there game with either there own tracks, edits or visuals if they want to get decent money
to give you an example i was at a random soul gig(actually one of the first gigs i was at in sydney)

they played a nice little bar round the corner from me.it was free in.they had a dj,live keys and vocal,and a saxophonist.id imagine the budget wasnt that big for the night especially after it was free in
how can a traditional dj compete with that.
times are changing and this day and age you gotta be more than a dj to make it.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
< 26
My opinion

$600 for mobiles ($300 for labor/gear & $300 for DJing for $5hours) this is what I use to charge back in 1994 and I had at least a gig a weekend.

In Melbourne $80min per hour for clubs and bars is pretty standard & I haven’t been offered less for a long time! Maybe do a deal for less if you get a good 6-8hour set. But if you’re starting out you might find it will take years before you have any say in how much you get paid!

As far as hurting the Pros out there by playing for less money, personally I don’t worry about young DJ’s (no offence intended) as long as they are charging at least $50/hour, I figure I had to do it when I was a kid! if you’re playing for free in a venue I work I would be pissed and if after 10-20years behind the decks you are still doing gigs for less than the going rate maybe I’ll be killing your pets while you sleep !!!!

When i started playing clubs i had a DJ Tell me i had to charge a certain minimum amount per hour if I was going to play DJ in clubs so i didn’t screw with the fee they had all battled to get, Years later I was part of the $50/hour min dispute when almost every club DJ in Melbourne increased their fee to $50 (I considered it 5records plus a cab home/hour). I can actually say I fought for that $50 in one venue as one club owner took it personally and decided to take a swing, we both ended up in the hospital but he gave me the rise and I worked for him for 3 more years!

Any promoter or club that wants me to play for less money is a venue I don’t want to play!
If it’s for a mate, do it for cost if you want, playing a party for mate can be the best and/or worst gig of your life but we all do them now and then!

Just though I would add, I make a living from DJing and DJing alone pays my mortgage, pays my GST, feeds me & my dogs, buys my toys and floats my businesses!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au

Last edited by kieren: 12-Jun-09 at 02:28am

forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

My opinion...

agree

Quote:

I guess the fundatental point I'm trying to make is to encourage younger DJ's not to settle for less than they could have got with a little more effort.

perhaps some of the younger DJ's reading this thread don't realise that if they take it a little more seriously, learn how to negotiate better & learn how balance their books, they might actually be able to take home a few more bucks than what they may have first settled for. It's not hard, and everyone comes out happier.

anyway.. it's late, I've enjoyed the discussion, and you certainly raised some worthy points. I can get a little fired up over this, only because I love my work so much, as you obviously do as well.

- Frenzie
www.groovetherapy.com.au

Last edited by forenzik: 12-Jun-09 at 12:26pm

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
I like this thread, lots of good discussion.

I believe its based on the situation. You should never undercut someone to get a gig. And you should never lower your rate because that "bar/club/venue" isnt doing well.

If your doing a lot of promotion with your djing, or bringing a lot of friends aka networking. This should definitely warrant a higher rate...

my 2c
Tech-One
Blinky-Live- +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

If your doing a lot of promotion with your djing, or bringing a lot of friends aka networking. This should definitely warrant a higher rate...

This, need much more of this.
BEATGEEK RECORDS BGR013
AARIN F - CARPE DIEM EP

CHECK IT OUT NOW

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/...pe%20Diem%20EP

http://itunes.apple.com/au/album/aar...ep/id398045197
Tubbs +

Times thanked
< 1
Basically frenzie is bang on the money ( pardon the pun)
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
< 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

Perhaps its because I live in sleepy old Perth and i do the 9 - 5 job, so i am not out on weeknights, but i think it would be hard to make a substantial amount of money from just DJing. (excluding mobile dj crap, as i get the vibe the thread is not about that)

Lets make 80K the benchmark, its a decent wage

80000/100
total / hrly rate (and $100 from what i am hearing is a good one)
= 800hrs per yr
800 / 365hrs
=2.2hrs a night, 7 days a week
No sick days, no holidays etc

To the guys living the dream and doing this, more power to you

I just think giving all the factors with technology, it is very much harder and harder now days to do

Also, side topic, given DJ'ing is stil relatively young (30 years really!), some of the pioneers (AB, GMF etc) still rocking out at 55 etc, where do people see yourselves in 20 years or so.
I'd say being smart guys you all have other skills and would be honing these in the daylight hours, pursuing business opportunities etc, as is it realistic to expect at 45 plus to still be pulling gigs in clubs as a "local pro dj"????
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
< 58
Interesting discussion in this thread - I've been DJing for just under 2 years, have had a couple of very small gigs and at the moment would basically take anything offered to me. When starting out I think there's a very fine line between selling yourself short and getting your foot in the door. You have to get your name out there somehow. I guess the easiest way is to do gigs for free, but the things forenzik mentioned would likely be more effective, but take a lot more time and effort. For the casual bedroom banger who wants to play out every now and then it may be more effort than they're willing to invest.

forenzik - Do you produce music as well? Do you think you get booked on the basis of your productions, or is it a combination of everything?
Dr_Hysteric +