The DJ Booth

Minimum DJ rate per hour?

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
<
I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $8.50 an hour.
Gene Hoffmann at Tresor.Berlin [Sept 2014]
feat. Surgeon, Rrose, Untold, Kangding Ray, Blawan, Green Velvet etc...
Set & tracklist: https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...lin-3-sep-2014
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

Believe me, it does. I've been DJ'ing professionally for 20 years in Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney. I have seen the standard rate drop from $100 down to $75 (and now kids are playing for $50 ??!!). It is a reality, and something that many of the older DJs who have been around for more than a couple of years can attest to.

good old demand and supply?
i reckon it comes down to educating the people who are booking you to take interest in your craft, rather than only caring about trimming their costs. which sounds silly and is probably impossible. but there will always be people willing to charge less.

+1 for dj negotiation skills courses
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeOnMTV

good old demand and supply?
i reckon it comes down to educating the people who are booking you to take interest in your craft, rather than only caring about trimming their costs. which sounds silly and is probably impossible. but there will always be people willing to charge less.

+1 for dj negotiation skills courses

I'm with you on this one, also if all they want is to save money and don't apreciate your skills do you realy want to play for them, I don't!!!!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Depends on the soundsystem; the better the system, the longer I am happy to play for little or no financial reward.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

Depends on the soundsystem; the better the system, the longer I am happy to play for little or no financial reward.

True to a point, there is something nice about being able to play records on a good system, mind you i can't think of one system in melbourne i would concider good enough for me to play for less money on!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Radic +

Times thanked
<
refer to comment one below.....
Soundcloud
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliasneo

Damn I had no idea the clubs work like that ^^^^^^

that's a lot of arrows pointing up.
Soundcloud
Junkee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

I've spoken about this before on ITM.

If you are charging or only getting paid $50 ph,

you are cheapening yourself and the industry..

good advice there... i never thought about it that way before
sheamusical +

Times thanked
<
I personally believe it's about how you value yourself. If you think that you and your skills and everything involved with how you end up performing on night is worth "x" amount, then don't accept anything less. In terms of house parties and non-club gigs, it depends on alot of things, but it always will come back to how much you, as an investment into THEIR party, are worth. To be honest, I'd never charge anyone $600 to DJ at my house, but I have happily accepted $600 at the end of a night, after 6 hours of hard work, not to mention the amount of time it took me to organise hire, set up and pack up, and handle a very mixed crowd. I've also played a similar party, and have charged much less, just because i KNEW that this was going to be much more rewarding for me in terms of crowd reception and respect (sounds lame, but this means SO much more to me than anything).

Another point i don't think anyone has mentioned is the idea of "selling yourself".

When it all comes down to it, it's all just sales. We are a product, and we have to be sold. You don't want to be sold at "X" amount because that doesn't cover expenses. The host doesn't want you for "XXX" cause that's too much for a party of fifty 17 year old girls. So it's up to you to find a point between their wants and your wants and sell yourself at that price. Make them reaiise the value in you, so they don't choose Joe Bloggs just because he is cheaper.

I work full time in Gym membership sales, and DJ on the side, and it sure helps knowing that I can sell a $25 dollar a week membership to someone who was looking to pay under $10. Our facilities aren't great, and we don't offer much compared to other gyms, but if you're able to sell, you'll get more of what you want and probably deserve.
I know DJs that use a computer and some virtual DJ program at house parties and rake in 300 bucks a night.
I also know DJs that bring their entire set up –decks, mixer, amp, speakers, lighting, smoke, strobe, laptop – and they on average rake in 300 bucks a night.
Obviously the 2nd guy probably deserves more, cause he’s bringing more to the party, but he obviously can’t sell himself. He should leave half his gear at home and make sure the party people get a 300 dollar experience.
Play the music they want to hear at house parties. It’s just that easy. You aren’t playing to a club or an educated music audience. They don’t know the best new tracks. They want to hear the tracks THEY want. They shouldn’t have to yell “skip” or “next” cause you should be playing what they want. This will make you worth a lot more the the host and the people at the party, and generally will spark another gig from a good review or word of mouth.
I guess I’m just rambling, but to wrap up – ALWAYS sell yourself. House parties don’t always need a DJ; most people think an ipod with a couple of their limewire tracks will suffice, even if they originally thought a DJ would be best. But when you say you can bring home the cheese, with a huge system, and crates full of records, and a night full of dancing, they will definitely scrap the idea of an ipod.

Jt
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Another point i don't think anyone has mentioned is the idea of "selling yourself".

When it all comes down to it, it's all just sales. We are a product, and we have to be sold.

you should approach everything in your life this way

it will make you fun on many levels
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
goldnzui +

Times thanked
<
I began Djing only 2 years ago as a mobile Dj (http://goldnzui.com/), so still considered new to the game. However, the success of my business can prove I've earned a great depth of knowledge and understanding of the client. The majority of our work revolves around 16th, 18th, 21st, After Deb's, but we have played 30th, 40th, work functions, college balls, school socials, Council events etc...
However we have shaped our image for ages 15-21.

Clients and patrons of the event can be rude and inconsiderate, sometimes it may be an indicate you're doing something wrong, however I can relate with you Justin_m23, I have had such things said but I consider it a learning curve to reading the crowd. I've found every event we play requires focus on the social status and even economic background. Which of course isn't possible until the night, but can easily be aided with things like play-lists/request-lists prior to the event.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_m23

Yeah private parties are only expensive cause people are fuckwits and treat you like an ipod. I've literally had people yell "skip!" and "next track" for a whole fucking night. started off charging $100 bucks, but have gone up to $300 just cause its so hard to deal with shit like that.

In my opinion, what you charge should resemble how well you perform.
There is no point charging more $$$ for events you don't want to be playing and possibly not meeting the expectations of the client, because if you don't you are letting down your image for potential work. The bottom line is that you're providing a service with expectations, which you want return from.

What you charge from the beginning of your 'career' can quickly shape your image amongst the community you're catering for. Our business quickly captured an entire district through word of mouth of quality and most likely affordability.

With mobile Djing we've never had complaints/comments of over-charging:

-$300 Flat rate anytime between 6-12pm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_rate Read Wiki's comments of the benefits of a flat rate)
-$50 an hour after 12pm.
-on top of that we provide a unique photography package for a further $50, which everyone sucks up like they are being shot in a club... brilliant. http://goldnzui.com/photos/

For the service we provide I feel the price is suited to what people expect, more work for slightly less can be more beneficial than less work for a higher cost.

As for clubs:
We began working in clubs only recently as "promoter Djs" which involved us selling tickets for a headlining event and reaping a commission from ticket sales (usually $3 a ticket)
We did this as an easy and hopefully impressive entry into the club scene, by pulling large numbers we would be considered a benefit for the club.
on the few times we did this we sold approx. 60-70 tickets per event, working as a Duo equates to ~$100each for the hour we played.

We have now been offered work for a few other clubs, with the opportunity to quote them for our service. Based on our self-esteemed reputation for numbers we pull and how well we perform we have quoted the club $150per hour.

In less words than all the above...
Reputation and your ability to perform is the basis of how much you can charge a club or private client.

Good luck with it all

Last edited by goldnzui: 15-Jun-09 at 01:52pm

twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldnzui

we have shaped our image

I've found every event we play requires focus on the social status and even economic background.

you are letting down your imagine for potential work.

What you charge from the beginning of your 'career' can quickly shape your imagine amongst the community you're catering for.

Our business quickly captured an entire district through word of mouth of quality and most likely affordability.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_rate Read Wiki's comments of the benefits of a flat rate)

As for clubs:
We began working in clubs only recently as "promoter Djs"
We did this as an easy and hopefully impressive entry into the club scene

Based on our self-esteemed reputation for numbers we pull and how well we perform we have quoted the club $150per hour.

In less words than all the above...
Reputation and your ability to perform is the basis of how much you can charge a club or private client.

There was much awesome in this post.
i have streamline; efficiency and such. (no time for d's)
Most awesome remains
Segment the world and imagine image accordingly
shape yourself for easy impressive entry and live of a rep manufactured via marketing 101
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
these mobile wedding dj's need their own forum imo
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

+1 its a whole nother world.. (play jimmy barns ya jukebox!)
Tech-One
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I’d have to disagree, playing a wedding is a lot harder than what we do and all the best DJ’s I have ever known started of learning there craft doing mobiles. Personally I think it is a shame more DJ’s don’t start off doing mobiles, it would defiantly filter out the people who have no ability to read crowds!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Mad Rooster +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

I’d have to disagree, playing a wedding is a lot harder than what we do and all the best DJ’s I have ever known started of learning there craft doing mobiles. Personally I think it is a shame more DJ’s don’t start off doing mobiles, it would defiantly filter out the people who have no ability to read crowds!

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbb618

Explain why I hate trance?

I don't hate trance, it is just the arsehole of dance music.

forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think it is a shame more DJ’s don’t start off doing mobiles, it would defiantly filter out the people who have no ability to read crowds!.

truth!
GROOVE THERAPY - RADIO SHOW & PODCAST
AWARDED 2SER FM BEST MUSIC SHOW 2008
Funk - Soul - Disco - Hip Hop - Beats - House
Presented and mixed by Frenzie since 2002
Friday lunchtime 12pm 107.3 2SER FM
www.groovetherapy.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

comment was tongue in cheek, and aimed at these 1000 word ranters outlining the awesome business model of their own mobile business

but yeah, it would surely filter out some of the blog dj fools
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Sorry Macc4, I didn't mean to direct my comment at you personaly.
It was just a response to the idea of Mobile DJ and the respect deserved, I was stating my belief in our craft and mobiles are the back bone of DJing.
Any good club DJ should be able to rock any crowd if someone gave them the records!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
don't go soft on me man, I actually thrive on personal attacks directed at me
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

don't go soft on me man, I actually thrive on personal attacks directed at me

Well I didn’t say you weren’t a C*#T, just that it wasn’t personal “THIS TIME”…….

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Personally i believe being a mobile dj can take away from 'building a vibe' and mobile djing is about pleasing everybody and can involve switching genres/tempos/styles a lot.

Something im not a huge fan of....

I like hearing different things, but i like my styles, if im listening to house i dont want to hear hiptop, and vise versa... remixed ftw tho.
Tech-One
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I think a dj should set his/her own music policy and stick to it.
If it doesn't suit management, then don't play there.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
It’s the extremes of playing mobiles. If you can’t read a crowd when they are all after hugely different genres how could you possibly read a crowd that is say into house!
The main skill a DJ has is his ability to know what to play to people who don’t make requests (reading a crowd) as only the minority of people will actually ask for a song! This is a skill that is lost on a lot of club DJ’s these days and it is a skill that is easiest to refine doing mobile gigs!

A DJ without crowd reading skills is a jukebox! - Francis Grosso!!!!!!!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
Reading a crowd is one thing, being a jukebox is another.

Have never seen a dj play a request at the DMCs yet the crowd there seems to lap that shit up!
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Turntablist are a different concept, it’s more like using a turntable as a instrument, They also don’t play for 6 hours!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think a dj should set his/her own music policy and stick to it.
If it doesn't suit management, then don't play there.

Exactly right, If the gig isn't right for you don't do it! If you choose to play a certain style stick to it, it’s the best way to create your own fan base!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
yes. extreme example for sure. (re;turntablists)

Why does the majority seem to have a desire to be a stock standard dj playing what the crowd expects?
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:

It’s the extremes of playing mobiles. If you can’t read a crowd when they are all after hugely different genres how could you possibly read a crowd that is say into house!

I would have thought it'd be harder to read a crowd who are into different genres rather than just one

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
like him or not, a quote from boys noize, he said in a mag interview "everyone hated what i was playing when i started, but then they grew to like it"

If you held your own night, you could do whatever you wanted.

Most club owners dont want you to experiment, unless it works from the get go...
Tech-One
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

I would have thought it'd be harder to read a crowd who are into different genres rather than just one

I think that is what i said. now i'm confused!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

like him or not, a quote from boys noize, he said in a mag interview "everyone hated what i was playing when i started, but then they grew to like it"

If you held your own night, you could do whatever you wanted.

Most club owners dont want you to experiment, unless it works from the get go...

True, if you want to play your way promoting your own night is the best way to get there, unless you get famous producing first!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think that is what i said. now i'm confused!

Ah, fair enough, we're in agreement. You said if you can't read a crowd looking for all different genres how could you read a crowd looking for just house which is the opposite but obviously it was just typed wrong

Quote:

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Reads the same to me???

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
base615 +

Times thanked
<
I think what you meant to say was "if you can't read a crowd looking for a single genre then you've got no chance with a crowd looking for multiple genres"

Quote:

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
This multiple genre crowd refers to a wedding/mobile dj gig? Don't they usually supply you with a tracklist?
goldnzui +

Times thanked
<
same applies to a crowd looking for a single genre... if your not dropping the right tracks of that genre it's not gonna happen.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Oh yeah, sorry..... I disagree.. It is easer to read a crowd when they are from different worlds than trying to play a crowd into one genre!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
base615 +

Times thanked
<
Oh ok, fair enough. I used to play a lot more freestyle than I do now and found it way harder... not that I find it very easy now

Quote:

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
I think reading a crowd should never become easy, I think the day reading a crowd becomes easy, is the day you've lost your skills! Like DJ Alzheimer’s!!!! LOL.

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I think how you present a track can go a long way towards crowd response, regardless of genre and 'reading' of said crowd.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Do you ever feel, when your at a festival. That the international dj your watching, could play anything he wanted, and people wouldnt leave?

I can say it about a few djs, that they dont really look as if they are thinking much....

As opposed to others where ur standing there going, well wtf will he do next, this is crazy!
Tech-One
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Do you ever feel, when your at a festival. That the international dj your watching, could play anything he wanted, and people wouldnt leave?

I can say it about a few djs, that they dont really look as if they are thinking much....

As opposed to others where ur standing there going, well wtf will he do next, this is crazy!

Yeah for sure, It is bound to be easier to play a crowd when people come to see you and you could actually get away with playing things you could of never got away with when you where a nobody playing a club night!

I also think after a couple of years of flying around the world playing festivals a lot of DJ’s just loose the care-factor and DJing turns into a tedious task for them!

There is another side as well, The producers trying to DJ, normally you might have to play crowds for 2-5years before you get to a point where you get to play even a small club and in the process you build up your craft and become more of a showman! But a lot of people DJing on the world circuit are NOT what I would call DJ’s they are people who got famous because of a track they made or remixed and because it is cheaper to tour as a DJ promoters want them to DJ so they learn how to mix but never learn how to DJ…

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
goldnzui +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

a lot of people DJing on the world circuit are NOT what I would call DJ’s they are people who got famous because of a track they made or remixed and because it is cheaper to tour as a DJ promoters want them to DJ so they learn how to mix but never learn how to DJ…

+1
i.e Mobin Master.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldnzui

+1
i.e Mobin Master.

I actully tought Mobin how to mix, though i have never seen him play! So you can blame me for that one! When i was playing with him it was about 1992-93 so he should have some hours under his belt by now!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
goldnzui +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I actully tought Mobin how to mix, though i have never seen him play! So you can blame me for that one! When i was playing with him it was about 1992-93 so he should have some hours under his belt by now!

Quote:

so they learn how to mix but never learn how to DJ…

More so referring to his performance as a Dj, mixing was fine no hick ups there. no understanding of his crowd on the numerous times I've seen him.

*INSERT SHOW ME LOVE RIFF HERE*
and again,
and again.
once more while it's still his set.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Yeah, i can't say i've seen him play but a lot of DJ's that spent to much time "producing" end up loosing touch with the reality of DJing a crowd! There are very few people who are impressive as DJ's and Producers, Not that i'm defending Mobins music, i am a hater of anyone who thinks re-mixing/re-editing is making music, making money maybe, making music NO!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

But a lot of people DJing on the world circuit are NOT what I would call DJ’s they are people who got famous because of a track they made or remixed and because it is cheaper to tour as a DJ promoters want them to DJ so they learn how to mix but never learn how to DJ…

very true!
Comma +

Times thanked
<
$4 per head per hour.
Keyboardist for Mercurial
Acoustic Consultant
Give our second album Inertia Tides a spin here
And if you like it order our second album from JB Hi-Fi
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts
/bump

so i've been in contact with a promoter about playing, and he's asked me my rate. i've played out before, but never played for money as such.

back story: i had a residency at some band gigs through a group im involved with, i helped organise the gigs as part of a fundraiser/benefit for a music festival im organising. dj's were getting paid by the venue that hosted the gigs, because the gigs were all a "donation" entry. all money raised went to the festival, all the dj's were part of organising the festival so we were happy with the money going straight there.

now the venue we held the gigs at paid our dj's $50 an hour. having read this thread, im thinking of quoting $75ish an hour to the promoter im speaking with, just wondering if that would be about right for the current climate in melbourne.

anyone want to chuck in some thoughts?

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »