Minimum DJ rate per hour?

Page 3 of 4
  Tools
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Anything above $50 is good.

Go as high as you think they are willing to pay its a business yo!!!!
Tech-One
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts
yeah, i was thinking of quoting the higher end. i figure it'll be easier to negotiate down to decent price than negotiating up

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
blkmrkt +

Times thanked
<
$50 seems pretty average across the board from my knowledge.
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergus

1 Millions dollars

Frickin awesome!
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
UNless you are a mobile DJ having to play shit that you hate to people you don't care about, then i would say free drinks for the night and maybe $50 is good.

If you have a few releases / have won a couple of DJ comps then maybe charge $100 for a set, but honestly, if you are playing music you love + having an awesome free night out, there is no need to be greedy
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

UNless you are a mobile DJ having to play shit that you hate to people you don't care about, then i would say free drinks for the night and maybe $50 is good.

If you have a few releases / have won a couple of DJ comps then maybe charge $100 for a set, but honestly, if you are playing music you love + having an awesome free night out, there is no need to be greedy

Agreed my minimum is zero (at private free partys with friends)

However if people are making $$$ because your name is on a flyer that's another thing entirely

Ashley Roche - Saturday Night Funk Fiesta.

http://www.purehousemusic.net/v3cont...=mixes&id=1559

Ashley Roche - Thank God Its Friday Night.

http://www.purehousemusic.net/v3cont...=mixes&id=1630
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
I say if you get paid enough to cover your cost of travel, then you can't complain. If you are looking to be rich, well thats another thing..

With that said, gotta DJ tonight at Home Nightclub and I hope my travel is covered
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

I say if you get paid enough to cover your cost of travel, then you can't complain. If you are looking to be rich, well thats another thing..

With that said, gotta DJ tonight at Home Nightclub and I hope my travel is covered

if home arent paying you then there's something very wrong
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You sir are a FOOL and you are CHEAPENING THE INDUSTRY!!!!

If you are getting less than $50/h your a fool considering our costs:

-equip
-tunes
-practice time

and the fact that you are undercutting every other dj at the club...

my 2c
Tech-One
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

-equip
-tunes
-practice time

my 2c

hey man, i'm just putting it how it is. you might only get paid $50 for the night, and if it costs say $25 petrol to get there, the other $25 is probaly gonna be spent on food and cigs (or whatever it may be). since djing i've been paid at least $70p/h and at most $150p/h. i'm just trying to say, you're not going to be rolling the big bucks in, in reality. if you get paid travel and have a goodnight, free drinks, bring your friends along for free etc, then that cant be wrong.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hey man, i'm just putting it how it is. you might only get paid $50 for the night, and if it costs say $25 petrol to get there, the other $25 is probaly gonna be spent on food and cigs (or whatever it may be). since djing i've been paid at least $70p/h and at most $150p/h. i'm just trying to say, you're not going to be rolling the big bucks in, in reality. if you get paid travel and have a goodnight, free drinks, bring your friends along for free etc, then that cant be wrong.

i hope ur getting $50+ @ home, they are making money off you, LOTs OF IT....
Tech-One
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

this...
Playing at;

SHRUG
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah for sure man. i usually judge by the capacity x entry price and make sure i get something that i feel i was worth for that night.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Win!
Tech-One
blkmrkt +

Times thanked
<
whats peoples thoughts on beginner djs undercutting costs. and stupid nightclub promotors hiring them.
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkmrkt

whats peoples thoughts on beginner djs undercutting costs. and stupid nightclub promotors hiring them.

you'll find most people running events these days don't really have a wide knowledge of music and just hire anybody. its all about who brings the most people. if this dj charges a small price, and brings a big price - promoter win$
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I have a axe handle in my car to deal with DJ charging under $50. If I know a promoter rips the beginners off I wonít work for them, mind you Iím in a position to refuse work, some DJís arenít so itís easy for me to be a c#*t!

Quote:

you'll find most people running events these days don't really have a wide knowledge of music and just hire anybody. its all about who brings the most people. if this dj charges a small price, and brings a big price - promoter win$

I agree, I love it when I find the rare promoter who is all about the music, unless they are a DJ/promoter (thatís just lame) as I think promoters should hire DJ because of where they want the music to go not because they want to play themselves or give their mates a gig!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

I have a axe handle in my car to deal with DJ charging under $50. If I know a promoter rips the beginners off I wonít work for them, mind you Iím in a position to refuse work, some DJís arenít so itís easy for me to be a c#*t!

I agree, I love it when I find the rare promoter who is all about the music, unless they are a DJ/promoter (thatís just lame) as I think promoters should hire DJ because of where they want the music to go not because they want to play themselves or give their mates a gig!

I get where you are coming from, but there has been some pretty influential DJ/promoters over the years.

Ashley Roche - Saturday Night Funk Fiesta.

http://www.purehousemusic.net/v3cont...=mixes&id=1559

Ashley Roche - Thank God Its Friday Night.

http://www.purehousemusic.net/v3cont...=mixes&id=1630
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandmaster Ash

I get where you are coming from, but there has been some pretty influential DJ/promoters over the years.

True, some of them are good at both but most of them I have ever worked for where the worst DJís on their line up!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
blkmrkt +

Times thanked
<
dj/pomotor combo is pretty good as the music will benefit. unless they just use the position to get them + there mates a good set time at a half decent place.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

dj/pomotor combo is pretty good as the music will benefit. unless they just use the position to get them + there mates a good set time at a half decent place.

which is generly the case!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
blkmrkt +

Times thanked
<
in adelaide theres a few good djs who joined together to put on there own nite, they woirk really well together and has ended up with a good nite out and great music. better than 90% of all the other crap.

also hate it when places get good music and djs to start with then taper off as they get more money and stop caring!
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

in adelaide theres a few good djs who joined together to put on there own nite, they woirk really well together and has ended up with a good nite out and great music. better than 90% of all the other crap.

also hate it when places get good music and djs to start with then taper off as they get more money and stop caring!

just outta curiosity which night are you talking about?

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

blkmrkt +

Times thanked
<
rocket bar on a thursday, 8bit
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
the current UK rate is somewhere around the £0 mark

wahooooo
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

first time i've ever seen you write something i disagree with

i'm a dj/promoter and i know a few other people do the same and i think it works really well as we have a better understand regarding music and flow of the night.
Playing at;

SHRUG
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
^^ agreed

that, and you tend to know more about who is coming through, what sound they're pushing and how they'll fit in with the night. there are plently of DJ/promoters out there and IMO they run some pretty decent nights!
Trinitydj +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

unless they are a DJ/promoter (thatís just lame)

hmmm...
DJ Trinity//Trinity LIVE

website & facebook page
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Maybe it’s just because the only Dj/Promoters I have met have been like that, there is bound to be good ones out there and I’m sorry if I offended anyone!
When I was Promoting, I didn’t play at about 50% of our parties mainly because I would fill the line up really quick with DJ’s I liked at the time. I use to find the best way I could use my skills was to create the flow by picking the right DJ for each slot and having a small say in the direction they would take with their set.
In the last couple of years I feel like every party I play the promoters just want “DJ X” there and they never seem to be too concerned with the flow of the night and what the DJ’s play or the party is run by a bunch of DJ’s who just bill themselves and fill the gaps with names!
I’m sure there are promoters out there building a DJ line up and creating a vibe with the music and not just booking mates, though I haven’t ran into any lately, this is the reason why I only play the odd party now and then these days as I was constantly playing sets between two DJ’s that where on a completely different vibe too me and I don’t blame the DJ’s as they were in the same situation, it’s all down to whoever was in charge of booking the DJ’s!

I hope that made more sense “probably not”…..

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
you must be going to some shite parties then

line up should be based around the headliner (with suitable warm up DJs ) and vibe of the night / music style to be played.

then again with the music i'm into it's easier to structure a night this way.
Playing at;

SHRUG
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm totally guilty of this. I knew jack shit about the industry at the time when I first started and just wanted experience. It quickly got pretty tiring playing for $25 an hour, and but by that stage I had to confidence to change up and try new places and ask for more.

I don't regret it at all. But I wouldn't do it again thats for sure. I don't think any DJ "wants" to charge so low - its just that they'll take what they can get in order to do what they love.
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

I don't regret it at all. But I wouldn't do it again thats for sure. I don't think any DJ "wants" to charge so low - its just that they'll take what they can get in order to do what they love.

+1
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

-equip
-tunes
-practice time

my 2c

typical slackas reply. why should you be paid to cover your practise time?!? hahaha dude seriously do you a football player gets reimbursed for all the practise he did prior to playing football? sorry but where do you play again?? i didnt realise you had the pulling power to get whatever you wanted. i know for a fact if one of the big clubs in brisbane (family, empire, mono etc) were to ask you to come play for free or theyll give you a residency but wont pay you crumbs youd put your hand up like the stupid kid at school who finally thinks he's got an answer right. your all high and mighty now, how much rockers pay you? did you say to the promotor's face "nah man thats not enough pay ay im worth more than that"

btw in case you didnt already realise if your an abn holder you can claim tunes, headphones, earplugs, taxi fares on tax. youll get something like 50% back.

i love where i work and i can honestly say that if it came down to it i would still work there for free. if its 'undercutting' you then stiff shit for you. join a fucking union if your so worried about it. you are always going to have younger kids mroe eager and keen who will HAPPILY work for free, theyre not trying to undercut you they simply just want the gig. as far as i know a club will have a payment policy and thats what you get paid,, its not based upon a demand and supply of dj's, they should just have a standard rate.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

I'm totally guilty of this. I knew jack shit about the industry at the time when I first started and just wanted experience. It quickly got pretty tiring playing for $25 an hour, and but by that stage I had to confidence to change up and try new places and ask for more.

Ahh we all did it at least once, no one can really take the higher ground, if you where playing in the UK you would be lucky to ever get paid for playing!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie nipple

typical slackas reply. why should you be paid to cover your practise time?!? hahaha dude seriously do you a football player gets reimbursed for all the practise he did prior to playing football? sorry but where do you play again?? i didnt realise you had the pulling power to get whatever you wanted. i know for a fact if one of the big clubs in brisbane (family, empire, mono etc) were to ask you to come play for free or theyll give you a residency but wont pay you crumbs youd put your hand up like the stupid kid at school who finally thinks he's got an answer right. your all high and mighty now, how much rockers pay you? did you say to the promotor's face "nah man thats not enough pay ay im worth more than that"

btw in case you didnt already realise if your an abn holder you can claim tunes, headphones, earplugs, taxi fares on tax. youll get something like 50% back.

i love where i work and i can honestly say that if it came down to it i would still work there for free. if its 'undercutting' you then stiff shit for you. join a fucking union if your so worried about it. you are always going to have younger kids mroe eager and keen who will HAPPILY work for free, theyre not trying to undercut you they simply just want the gig. as far as i know a club will have a payment policy and thats what you get paid,, its not based upon a demand and supply of dj's, they should just have a standard rate.

typical wookie reply... dude when you play at a club. the make money off you. SIMPLE.

for that $50+ dollars an hour you make that are making $1000+ PROFIT....

see what im getting at here?
Tech-One
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
^^ yeh but i dont charge cover nor do i sell $100,000 worth of alcohol every night.

see what im getting at here?

you cant go around asking for more money when quite frankly (no offense) you dont actually play anywhere.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
You are providing a service, even if you are brand new to the scene you deserve to paid for your services.

$50 an hour is cheap, even for a pub...

agree/disagree?
Tech-One
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
when i started out i was being paid $50 and hour. thats doubled since then but in fact if i get booked i invoice the club and i will charge my rate. im not saying i wouldnt enjoy a raise we all would. but you cant standardise rates cause im sure you'll agree a dj playing at empire is worth more than a dj playing at rg's correct? THE ONLY way everyone is going to have rates increased (and i mean THE ONLY WAY) is if everyone joins a union for the industry. it was tried years ago in brisbane and it failed miserably.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

when i started out i was being paid $50 and hour. thats doubled since then but in fact if i get booked i invoice the club and i will charge my rate. im not saying i wouldnt enjoy a raise we all would. but you cant standardise rates cause im sure you'll agree a dj playing at empire is worth more than a dj playing at rg's correct? THE ONLY way everyone is going to have rates increased (and i mean THE ONLY WAY) is if everyone joins a union for the industry. it was tried years ago in brisbane and it failed miserably.

man i agree with you fully, i just think that ur not seeing what im trying to say.

$50\hr should be the minimum... anywhere... but anywhere above that is up to you and your skill (not necessarily a dj but as a business person)
Tech-One
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
but again you can only set a minimum if there is a government approved award for that industry.. which unfortunately there isnt. i agree mate $50 minimum, but in saying that how do you then determine who is worth more than that? and if we both play the same club one week after another and i get paid 80 and hour and you get 70 an hour are you then going to have a word to the manager or would you be happy leaving it to their discretion?
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
it really is a tricky subject considering the fact that some dj's are worth more than others. the only wat everyone is going to get paid the same is if there is a standard rate, which wont work because some clubs should clearly pay more than others. if you come up with a good proposal we can send off to department of employment so we can set an award.

lets make it $2000 an hour. plus bitches, grog and coke being feltched out the hot bitches assholes.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

it really is a tricky subject considering the fact that some dj's are worth more than others. the only wat everyone is going to get paid the same is if there is a standard rate, which wont work because some clubs should clearly pay more than others. if you come up with a good proposal we can send off to department of employment so we can set an award.

lets make it $2000 an hour. plus bitches, grog and coke being feltched out the hot bitches assholes.

I'm in, where do i sign up!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
sign on the dotted nipple.

yo kieren I'm gonna hit you up about those cables soon - probably next week...
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

sign on the dotted nipple.

yo kieren I'm gonna hit you up about those cables soon - probably next week...

Yeah for sure mate, just give me a call!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
dj hektic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

join a fucking union if your so worried about it.

bahaha i laughed so hard when i read that..
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Could you imagine a bunch of DJ’s getting together to form a union.
I believe the musicians union will accept DJ’s!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
WHAT?! are you crazy?!

DJ's aren't musicians?!!
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
there's no hard and fast rules to this, all the talk of cheapening the industry is a load of toss, each gig is differen't with differen't capacity's, ideas, etc.
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by talio93

WHAT?! are you crazy?!

DJ's aren't musicians?!!

I agree, but i remember some union telling us we could join them back in 1994 when we were chasing $50, that was the last time i think there was any organisation between DJ's!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
RobCinch +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This is almost correct, what you recieve back depends on what you earn from a main income if you work a full time job... if you earn over a threshold you are not considered a "poor starving artist" and you get nothing (well you can defer it to when you might not earn so much)

nookie wipple you come off as a bit of an ass, settle the fuck down - the dude can give his opinion. As the saying goes, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one (you probably wear yours on your face)
Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »