The DJ Booth

Minimum DJ rate per hour?

Tools
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

I agree, but i remember some union telling us we could join them back in 1994 when we were chasing $50, that was the last time i think there was any organisation between DJ's!

Haha kieren, i was actually being sarcastic. But yes, there is a lot of talk on whether DJ's are infact, musicians.

I actually believe they are, but everyone's opinion of what a musician is, is always slightly different.
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Yeah I picked up on the sarcasm, Personally I think we are Artistic but I don’t think we are musicians (except maybe the odd turntablist) what we do takes a certain ability to read a crowd and a huge appreciation for music! In my opinion a good DJ could play any genre of music and still make the room do what he/she wants.
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Are you dj special k from the usa ?

if so, i think u could charge more than $50 lol
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Last edited by pEAkeR_hAT: 19-Sep-09 at 01:32pm

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

Are you dj special k from the usa ?

if so, i think u could charge more than $50 lol

No i'm not, why is he good???
Don't worry, I charge a lot more than $50!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<
I think it's best just to be flexible - charge the big promoters more, and the smaller ones and/or fledgling promoters a cheaper rate, sliding scale style.

I also often play for mates for free, and vice versa - a lot of quid pro quo.

Little Nobody + Funk Gadget = Tokyo

'Metropolis How?' 12" remixed by James Ruskin
'The Condimental Op' vinyl remixed by AUX 88

+ '100 Years of Vicissitude' novel
+ 'Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat' novel

pippos +

Times thanked
<
100 starting out then go up as you get more jobs
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<
I'll do it for 99, pm

edit: no but seriously, depends on who you are and where you're playing right???

heaps of ppl willing to pay for free so, that's your minnimum right there..... in fact i reckon some ppl would even pay in order to get a gig lmao

this thread keeps coming back, it's always there, staring at me

Last edited by LifeOnMTV: 24-Sep-09 at 07:44pm

pipnosis +

Times thanked
<
I charge $100/hr for venues, add $250 for set up of private function. Will rarely DJ for less. Tend to do on average 5hrs once a week, sometimes two or three gigs a week, 1 or 2 weekends off a year.

Btw. Its not all fun but have too keep the happy face on. $100/hr helps.
twiggy88 +

Times thanked
<
I DJ for White Girls
Tech House/Prog tech mix here http://soundcloud.com/dj-twiggy/the-...tech-house-mix
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by welike2party

ah not me mate just some friends I am going with want to see him, I just want to go along for the SLUUTTSS!!!

Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
slight aside, no mention of VJs in here - how much would a VJ expect to earn per hour in a club? Assume the VJ is not a "name" or "profile" visual artist.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky

Last edited by Marky: 01-Oct-09 at 08:18pm

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
i wouldn't really know about VJ however (heres my input); id assume they would be paid alot less than a DJ because you can get by without graphics but not without sound, so club fat cats would be less interested in this investment. would be nice though
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

i wouldn't really know about VJ however (heres my input); id assume they would be paid alot less than a DJ because you can get by without graphics but not without sound, so club fat cats would be less interested in this investment. would be nice though

That said a really good VJ can make a night so much more special.
latest track
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanious

That said a really good VJ can make a night so much more special.

yeah i totally agree with that. i just think alot of the money hungry organisers arent going to bother with something that probaly wont be appreciated. i do find that clubs running visuals (like old chopped up movie clips) makes the club feel a little more complete, so hopefully vjs will immerge within the next few years
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
A lot of clubs had VJ's in the old days, these days we can't even convince them to hire a in-house tech or lighting guy!
In my opinion DJ's should control the visuals as well, One guy (or a duo) controling music, lighting and visuals... would work nice!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

A lot of clubs had VJ's in the old days, these days we can't even convince them to hire a in-house tech or lighting guy!
In my opinion DJ's should control the visuals as well, One guy (or a duo) controling music, lighting and visuals... would work nice!

i would definantly control lighting and visual given that i had a controller next to the dj equipment, but convincing clubs to get this equipment is just as hard as getting a lighting guy or girl in. early this and last year myself and a few peope ran local hall parties and we had the djs control the lighting, was good because the lighting went along with the music and gave the crowd that extra bit of energy.
Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I knwo Pioneer had DVD mixers a while back - I saw Jeff Mills play on them. Was kinda cool, though too ahead of its time to take off. I agree visuals done well make a venue more complete, and when I get my butt into gear for my live show, I intend to pair up with a VJ who will be part of the band.

There are definitely clubs out there that use resident VJs, so I'm just interested in seeing how their pay compares to a DJ.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky
Symo4 +

Times thanked
<
alot of places no days will give you a very low minimum rate per hour then a cut from however many people use your list at the door. Its a stupid way of paying dj's but a lot of young dj's will do anything for a gig so it works
dj_krypt +

Times thanked
<
Depends.... If you just have to rock up and play tunes id settle for free booze! Somewhere where you have to setup and play The Nutbush, $100 per hr. Minimum!
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
most people spend the entire night out looking at their mobile phones

I suppose if the music or visuals were really good, they could always hold the phone up and take a picture
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

most people spend the entire night out looking at their mobile phones

I suppose if the music or visuals were really good, they could always hold the phone up and take a picture

what do you mean ? i thought most people were drinking / dancing ?
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

what do you mean ? i thought most people were drinking / dancing ?

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
I had a discussion with the owner of a club we were going to build and he was talking about insulating so there was no phone coverage in the main room. I though it was going a bit far personally and I don’t know whether he did it or not as we didn’t build the club in the end!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I bought a chrome cover for mobile phone once, it insulated the phone from mobile coverage!

But yeah, shits me to tears when there is a hundred mobile phones in the air all trying to record some dude spinning records
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
You would think the recording would sound REALLY BAD…

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I bought a chrome cover for mobile phone once, it insulated the phone from mobile coverage!

But yeah, shits me to tears when there is a hundred mobile phones in the air all trying to record some dude spinning records

Watching an awesome DJ/band/event though a 2.5 inch phone or camera screen, makes sense to me.... NOT
Tech-One
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
i don't mind if i miss out on something and a friend records abit of it on their phone to show me what the night was like, because thats what cameras are for, right?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

i don't mind if i miss out on something and a friend records abit of it on their phone to show me what the night was like, because thats what cameras are for, right?

or you could watch the other 10000 vids on youtube that people recorded.... and actually enjoy the music/event you went to see...

just an opinion
Tech-One
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
Maybe we could set pay rates according to how many phones are held in the air at any one time
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Maybe we could set pay rates according to how many phones are held in the air at any one time

Or how many dip-sticks punch the air!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
jakeWilliams +

Times thanked
<
my mate and i started playing at house parties a year ago, i had my own midi controller and laptop, he had his own too but we were using all his speakers and lighting and such.
he was charging like 350 for a house party and most kids my age ( im seventeen but most parties i play have fifteen - eighteen year olds) aren't really going to pay that so we werent getting many gigs
in the end i just started playing parties by myself for free (and trying to borrow speakers off anyone who would lend them to me)
now i charge between 100-250 for a party, depending on how well i know them. i dont really care about getting payed a ridiculous amount, as i get to have fun and play the music i enjoy really loud
thesilicongod +

Times thanked
<
damn guys you so lucky in sapporo, japan, killa scene, but we usually hire the club! we pay to dj.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeWilliams

my mate and i started playing at house parties a year ago, i had my own midi controller and laptop, he had his own too but we were using all his speakers and lighting and such.
he was charging like 350 for a house party and most kids my age ( im seventeen but most parties i play have fifteen - eighteen year olds) aren't really going to pay that so we werent getting many gigs
in the end i just started playing parties by myself for free (and trying to borrow speakers off anyone who would lend them to me)
now i charge between 100-250 for a party, depending on how well i know them. i dont really care about getting payed a ridiculous amount, as i get to have fun and play the music i enjoy really loud

Its all about where you DJ, this sounds fine man. When we talk about strictly 50/hour we are talking about in a club setting where the club is making a LOT of profit.

If its some dudes 17th, he isnt going to have the world of money blah blah
Tech-One
DJ_TMC +

Times thanked
<
i get paid at minimum 70 per hour at clubs but thats based on a 2 hour set. I wouldnt do a 1 hr/$70 set. THe minimum for one hour for me is $80, some places give me $100. But its not just djing, you have to promote too thats the sad thing
www.djtmc.com
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<
i think that it is fair for a promoter to pay an up and commer based on a guest list system

(i.e maybe 50 bucks + 2-3 bucks per head on the list)

as long as the promoter is only PAYING them based on there guestlist, and not BOOKING them based on there guestlist, it would be a workable system,

that way, the more the DJ can bring to the club the more money both promoter and DJ make, and the DJ is still getting booked on his skill as apposed to his guestlist

« Previous Thread Next Thread »