The DJ Booth

DJ ethics - a few nuggets of knowledge

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
yes and the same damn 45's from 30 years ago because he's too scared of moving on with technology.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

From this guys rant, and his website mixes, I just found some new tunes.

you found old tunes you should've known about through research
something anyone who loves their hobby does
something people who play beatport top tens without knowing the tune names don't

shirty blogrollers should attack the man more though, gives your point(?) mad cred

if you program the right playlist an ipod will rock a party
that has nothing to do with blending and cutting records though

Quote:

The cheapening started as soon as DJing/party-throwing got labelled as an "industry".

it wasn't labelled, it merely was
lets get semantic in this motherfucker

Quote:

he's too scared of moving on with technology

you own a flesh light don't you?
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
Cosmo is the truth. I love what he does and I respect him heaps. I wish hed visit oz. He also uses serato!

Just to give huis statements some more contextfrom soulstrut.com Cosmo:
I don't understand why people think that all the shit I was talking yesterday was coming from an angry place. I mean, I can maybe see why because I'm calling people out (no names) but it really all comes from a place of love, not anger

But I doubt his message is going to resonate here. Inthemix.com.au isnt really a yo I rock doubles kind of forum.

It does piss me off sometimes that as a relatively new DJ (5 years) that only played vinyl (new and 2nd hand) until recently (Serato 2 months ago) when I see new jack blogroll DJs playing CDs or mp3s of a 12 that took me 2 years to hunt down.

That being said, I am on Juno right now, purchasing tracks thatd take me another 2 years to track down/afford if online sites like it didnt exist.

The fact of the matter is that in 2009 vinyl costs an arm and a leg. The days of the dollar bin are over. No kid starting out is going to be able to find a decent classic hip hop 12 for cheap let alone shit like Dance to the Drummers beat. Its just not the reality anymore, so they dont even try.

Also most new vinyl comes out 3+ months after an MP3 of it has stormed through the blog world. Its hard to keep up. Whats even harder is that everything is online and therefore available to everybody now-a-days, so finding your own style is difficult and I think a lot DJs dont even try anymore.

Lastly, the punters tend not to give a fuck about what medium you play, and in the end thats what matters to most DJs.

Its great to reminisce and I think young DJs should take heed, understand and strive to the values and learn from those who have been in the game for 20+ years.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

you own a flesh light don't you?

beats a blow up doll i guess.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

The fact of the matter is that in 2009 vinyl costs an arm and a leg. The days of the dollar bin are over. No kid starting out is going to be able to find a decent classic hip hop 12” for cheap let alone shit like Dance to the Drummers beat. Its just not the reality anymore, so they don’t even try.

Also most new vinyl comes out 3+ months after an MP3 of it has stormed through the blog world. Its hard to keep up. What’s even harder is that everything is online and therefore available to everybody now-a-days, so finding your own style is difficult and I think a lot DJs don’t even try anymore.

not everything can be found online, I have a few vinyl tracks that can't be found, much to the disgust of certain cd playing friends!

also, vinyl prices seem to have remained the same throughout my 8 or 9 years of collecting
forenzik +

You lack the minerals

Times thanked
<

Quote:

a lot DJs dont even try anymore.

Let's just pause on that point for a minute
GROOVE THERAPY - RADIO SHOW & PODCAST
AWARDED 2SER FM BEST MUSIC SHOW 2008
Funk - Soul - Disco - Hip Hop - Beats - House
Presented and mixed by Frenzie since 2002
Friday lunchtime 12pm 107.3 2SER FM
www.groovetherapy.com.au
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

not everything can be found online, I have a few vinyl tracks that can't be found, much to the disgust of certain cd playing friends!

also, vinyl prices seem to have remained the same throughout my 8 or 9 years of collecting

True, but most things can be found. And all it takes is another blogger to upload a rip of a vinyl only release and everyone can have a piece.

They price of vinyl has most definitely increased, but Im not talking about new vinyl. Im talking about vintage pieces.
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

it wasn't labelled, it merely was

There was a time when it wasn't.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Gone up 10% in the last 18months at my main shop.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

there was a time when it wasn't

in barter times right?

Earth is an industry and it has been for a long time

everything exists because there is a scene/market for it
it's just a shame that the market profit driven bit sends some people a bit fucking moronic

Success is in a text book
you didn't know?
Beats
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
unless all these so called purists are using this shit http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle4009452.ece stfu. theres as much dif between your 1200 as the shit you bitch about
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

unless all these so called purists are using this shit http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle4009452.ece stfu. theres as much dif between your 1200 as the shit you bitch about

but what if my 1200's are lined with coffin wood?
also, you can't download vinyl, and some effort and cost is required to obtain the tracks you want.
This effort translates directly into respect for your music collection
futureproof +

Times thanked
<
[quote=twistedbydesign]you found old tunes you should've known about through research
something anyone who loves their hobby does
something people who play beatport top tens without knowing the tune names don't

shirty blogrollers should attack the man more though, gives your point(?) mad cred

if you program the right playlist an ipod will rock a party
that has nothing to do with blending and cutting records though

Think you may have got the wrong idea mate, I'm now searching ebay for originals.
I've got many years of research under my belt, but nobody's perfect.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Ron Diggins was credited with inventing the mobile disco when he first heaved two specially designed record players and a pile of 78s into a village hall in 1947

^^that moby disk **** ain't shit

The world's first radio disc jockey was Ray Newby, of Stockton, California. In 1909, at 16 years of age, Newby began regularly playing records on a small spark transmitter while a student at Herrold College of Engineering and Wireless, located in San Jose, California, under the authority of radio pioneer Charles "Doc" Herrold.

Most of our programming was records
—Ray Newby, I've Got a Secret (1965)

cluey **** for a newby
Beats
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
He's mentioned so many bad things about the new 'generation' of DJ's. He's right to a degree but what about all the awesome stuff it has brought along? DJ's definately don't have the same amount of wow factor as they used to but that's because every club and bar needs them, of course there's going to be a lot of DJ's that sound the same. In saying that, a lot of them only play the latest and greatest because it's what they're paid to do.

Anyway in a nutshell; old bitter man, can't keep up, was cool, now not. I've never seen anyone with the same style as me. Similar yes, same? no. So up yours old man!

ps I am aware he's most definately way better than me but it's not all about vinyl nowadays.

pps I use vinyl and cdj's...and Ableton.
NEW MIX UP!!! --->>VIEW MY MIXES HERE! <<----- Techy/Techno/prog stuff!!!
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This effort translates directly into respect for your music collection

truth

extending yourself to include things you spend time and effort doing is love

dj's should love music as per this definition

not because it's a craft but mainly because i've told you too

Quote:

Think you may have got the wrong idea mate, I'm now searching ebay for originals.
I've got many years of research under my belt, but nobody's perfect

the beatport comments weren't directed at you dude
you just gave me the soap box to launch my ego
Beats
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
What a rant
Seriously, its like the evolution of anything really
People who rant and rave and whinge, generally are doing it for one reason, fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of being replaced or made redundant or they can't keep up. Same in any sort of environment of change

CD, Vinyl, USB, DVD, PC, MAC, Ableton, Traktor.......whatever
You are a DJ, your job is to entertain the crowd and if the crowd your entertaining wants to hear the same cheeseball tracks and you deliver, well you are doing your job successfully.
There's heaps more clubs, heaps more people interested in the culture, so naturally your are going to get more and more people with similar styles.

Look at AFL, in the last 10 years the game has changed massively, the superstars hitting 300 games have done so because they have used the skills they have to adapt and grow with the direction the game is taking.

Whilst he had some great points, he's ruined the whole point of his statements with his ranting and raving and irrelevant points from yesterday year
Let go of the good old days, no amount of ranting is going to bring them back
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

rant edited;
Seriously, its like the evolution of anything really.....

Look at AFL,

AFL has evolved, you need more skills than you used to.

DJing has devolved for the most part into a mindless pastime, skills aren't necessarily required anymore
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
John course broke sahes of jae in melbourne apparently

http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth
b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

i used to buy EVERY copy of a particular record to protect my sound.
one time i bought 8 of em..

Edit: ^cosmo quote. Not forenzik

What a fuckwitt. I'm sorry did you make that record you stupid fuck? No? So you just bought it from a shop before anyone else, leaving any other DJ's that could enjoy it with nothing. What a wonderful fucking piece of work you are you contradictory, dumb ****.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Lastly, the punters tend not to give a fuck about what medium you play, and in the end that’s what matters to most DJs.

I do, I was at metropol on saturday for dinner and was loving life listening to a warm hip hop mix cd they had on. THen some tosser comes on at like 9pm and totally ruins the vibe and gives me a headache with his cheap mp3 soudning crap it sounded like dogs balls. The sound quality was really bad and it was noticable. Remember music is all about feeling and just because normal punters arnt looking doesnt mean their senses arent being compromised.

I dont give a fuk what format he was playing but he obviously had no clue. I really would have loved to have kicked back and listened to some nice tunes but I had to leave. Went st george lane bar, not bad, but the place needs a new system.
http://jayjsmooth.blogspot.com/
www.soundcloud.com/jayjsmooth

Last edited by johnjay: 15-Jun-09 at 06:41pm

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop

Edit: ^cosmo quote. Not forenzik

What a fuckwitt. I'm sorry did you make that record you stupid fuck? No? So you just bought it from a shop before anyone else, leaving any other DJ's that could enjoy it with nothing. What a wonderful fucking piece of work you are you contradictory, dumb ****.

This also pissed me off. What kind of douchebag does this? It's not a skill, it's called being a cock blocking fuckwit and having more money than someone else to buy a bunch more records.

Ohhhhh wow you're fucking amazing. Wish I could buy every single record of a song ever made to make it so exclusive that only I could play it. But I just don't have the funds available to do something so fucking arrogant and self serving.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
buriedinsnow +

Times thanked
<
This thread delivers! I gotta have my two cents. Yes, even though Cosmo seems to be ranting and raving and coming off as jaded, i can still understand where he's coming from. I notice that the best djs are the ones who have researched their asses off in regards to music. They live and breathe it. They know back to front history of tracks, record labels, producers, clubs, and all the different styles of dance music, and how it all came about. They're the trainspotters, record hunters, hip hop dudes, music enthusiasts, and these are the people i respect the most, and more often than not, they are the best djs in my opinion.

There is such a grand history to dance music and djing that i guess new up and coming djs don't know about, and i think they're really missing out.

If you havent read ' Last night a dj saved my life', or watched any of those music docos like the history of dance music, style wars, hi tech soul etc, and not felt amazed and inspired and wanted to research music more, i feel sorry for you.

Sure, technically you could be a "better" dj than me and rock serato or cdjs or whatever, and there's nothing wrong with the progression of technology, cause it gets more people a chance to play music, but if you don't know how the music you listen to now was first created and played, then i think you are missing the point. I think you're almost limiting yourself with how good a dj you can be.

Whoever said that kids can't get started on vinyl doesn't realise that discogs is your best friend when it comes to scoring awesome vinyl, or that you can go to record sales and score 50 awesome house records for $80 that most kids these days wouldn't even go near...muuahaha.

End Rant.
Does someone understand where I'm coming from? I tried to be as clear as I could...
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
yes, I think so, you are sorta saying that guitar hero is fun and can sound good, but it's still not really a guitar
buriedinsnow +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yes, I think so, you are sorta saying that guitar hero is fun and can sound good, but it's still not really a guitar

I work in a music store, and a lady came in asking if her son would be good at a 'real guitar' if he was good at guitar hero. She was dead serious
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by buriedinsnow

Does someone understand where I'm coming from? I tried to be as clear as I could...

I liked it a shitload man, last night a dj saved my life is pretty good, read it twice.

I saw a house doco with derrick may that was awesome, about the warehouse and the production that came from those guys on cheap ass hardware...
Tech-One
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
He's reminiscing/ranting about a time when DJing was something different than it is today. Especially in the hip hop world. Thats it.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

He's reminiscing/ranting about a time when DJing was something different than it is today. Especially in the hip hop world. Thats it.

What, back when dj's paid for music? or back when they played records?

Both of these things still happen, what is so different today?
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
Both. Yes they still happen today, but with a multitude of other things that influence the world of DJing happening alongside them (read: the digital age)
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

What, back when dj's paid for music? or back when they played records?

Both of these things still happen, what is so different today?

hm...people can go out and mix tracks together without paying for music or playing actual records,
different from before when people couldn't this.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
Standard DJ rates have gone down, piracy is up, are there any positives to come of this digital age?
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
As probably expected I have to agree with everything Cosmo said, maybe without the anger!
But in the end I am rather jaded at what DJs have become these days!

Personally I think its arrogant of young DJ to not research the origins of our craft or at least try to learn off the masters especially now with the internet. I learnt heaps of my peers and when I started I hadnt even seen a computer in person so I had to talk to people to get info & help. These days the only time a DJ comes up to talk to me is to tell me how fuckin good he is, never to ask about how or why I did something a certain way or how he should improve!

The responses to Cosmo Bakers comments on the forum are exactly whats wrong with DJs these days no matter how over the top Cosmo is, He is a better DJ than most and you should be soaking in what he says, minus the abuse of cause!

And in all truth I can blow off in rants like that now and then but I try not to on forums like this as it is just starting an endless argument!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Standard DJ rates have gone down, piracy is up, are there any positives to come of this digital age?

GirlTalk

not really
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

answers will vary with age imo
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by forenzik

i used to buy EVERY copy of a particular record to protect my sound.
one time i bought 8 of em..

What a fucking tool.

Laughing at him, not with.
fffffffff
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemicalJames

What a fucking tool.

Laughing at him, not with.

i disagree.

when people first started sampling breaks, it was all about who got there first.
if u found a golden break, u would naturally be very protective/secretive of what track u were sampling
(can u imagine the joy of discovering the versatility of the lyn collins break?!)
some djs would cover up their vinyls' labels, more aggressive djs (like this dude) would buy up the shops entire stock.
very interesting imo, did u know anything about that? obviously no
his rant is specifically directed at people like u
lol
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
I know people used to do it but that doesn't change the fact that it's douchebaggery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

I know people used to do it but that doesn't change the fact that it's douchebaggery

why is paying extra money for a tune you like to make it more exclusive considered douchebaggery?

it's almost like anti piracy and should be commended, and the producer makes the same amount of money
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<
lol true
it's very 'my music's kept secret im a douche'
but it doesn't really classify him as a tool at all when u put it in context to the times he is talking about. imo
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
If I was an producer putting stuff out and hoping to increase my appeal I'd be pretty pissed off if my track was monopolised by one complete dickhead who refused to let people know that the wicked tune they were listening to was by me. If someone wants to do that then they should make their own track for their sole use.

Quote:

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Tech-One
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

More Rants from me!!!!!!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Sounds like a load of 'Back in MYYYY day' dressed up as a cool-ass DJ so we're sposed to believe it.
LifeOnMTV +

==============

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If I was an producer putting stuff out and hoping to increase my appeal I'd be pretty pissed off if my track was monopolised by one complete dickhead who refused to let people know that the wicked tune they were listening to was by me. If someone wants to do that then they should make their own track for their sole use.

lol fair point

altho if we're talking about breaks then people wouldn't really be listening to the track per se, rather than the break sample/riff whatever he was using.

it would still, to an extent (a very small extent imo), hamper the producers ability to spread his music i guess

Last edited by LifeOnMTV: 15-Jun-09 at 09:33pm

TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Or in the opposite case, if i was a dude who released some shit in teh 70s that no one appreciated at the time to then have it sampled by a DJ/producer with a keen ear, digging skill and an individual way of flipping samples. My song becomes the basis of a massive hit by through this guys production, I get a re-issue deal and loads of money from comps that everyone is buying. YAY for me!

this isn't always the way the case - but there are multiple angles to this, that you don't seem to be seeing.
maaaa +

Times thanked
<
i black'en my cd's so no one knows whats playing. neither do i though
base615 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Or in the opposite case, if i was a dude who released some shit in teh 70s that no one appreciated at the time to then have it sampled by a DJ/producer with a keen ear, digging skill and an individual way of flipping samples. My song becomes the basis of a massive hit by through this guys production, I get a re-issue deal and loads of money from comps that everyone is buying. YAY for me!

this isn't always the way the case - but there are multiple angles to this, that you don't seem to be seeing.

That's not what I'm talking about. We were discussing the practise of a DJ buying up the entire stock of a record and covering the label so that no-one knows what it is

Quote:

TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
Still, it used to happen - and a lot of the songs it did happen to are now big and everybody knows them. See the Ultimate Breaks and Beats series. Its what Grandmaster Flash and all those dudes used to do. DJing was more competitive then.
base615 +

Times thanked
<
But were they big at the time when the artists were struggling to pay the rent?

Quote:

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That's not what I'm talking about. We were discussing the practise of a DJ buying up the entire stock of a record and covering the label so that no-one knows what it is

If an artist sold all the records they put out, they would be able to press more copies.

And 8 records may be the entire stock of 1 record shop, hardly any skin off the artists nuts in any case
Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »