Food, Photography and Travel

Slow Cooker = Love

Tools
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
< 10
ok so partly because of this thread i bought a slow cooker on teh weekend - sunbeam 5.5 litres
currently its being put through its paces cooking Beef bourguignon

Question though, how hot do they get? like what temperature does the food inside reach? It has a high and low setting
www.nickvidal.com www.shesydney.com
VIDAL CREATIVE www.vidalcreative.com
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10
I got a 6 litre bad boy on the weekend and am (hopefully) going to be coming home to something amazing tonight after 11 hours of goodness. There's only 2 of us in my apartment and my flatmate basically cooks for himself so I'm going to end up with mega leftovers.
Smiley face.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Vidal View Post

Question though, how hot do they get? like what temperature does the food inside reach? It has a high and low setting

Been wondering the same...our cat is a little fucker and won't stay off the benches when we're in the house, let alone when we're not there...worried she'll burn herself (would serve her right though! )
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
< 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Been wondering the same...our cat is a little fucker and won't stay off the benches when we're in the house, let alone when we're not there...worried she'll burn herself (would serve her right though! )

They get fairly hot - well mine does - on the outside. You wouldn't want to leave your hand on the metal surface for more than a few seconds thats for sure. But i'm sure you're cat will be fine lol they are covered in fur anyways

Does anyone have any advice on what not to do or how to get hte best results from using the slow cooker? I used mine for the first time yesterday but found i had put too much liquid in at the beginning so i needed to reduce the sauce a bit so it wasn't so watery.
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 497
so im slow cooking a beef (omg, i never eat beef, but have a beef craving at the moment) casserole. Hopefully it turns out ok. I've put it on high to expedite the cooking process, we'll see i suppose.
beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135
i am busting out my slow cooker next week, cant wait!
some dance to remember, some dance to forget
smorchika +

Times thanked
< 497

Quote:

Originally Posted by smorchika View Post

so im slow cooking a beef (omg, i never eat beef, but have a beef craving at the moment) casserole. Hopefully it turns out ok. I've put it on high to expedite the cooking process, we'll see i suppose.

casserole was pretty bland, but the beef texture was so awesome, i think im going to try a curry next week.
Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
< 2,737
FFS I put a curry in at about 2pm on low and it was burnt at 4:30pm. Liquids were covering all the veggies and the recipe called for 6 hours on low!
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10
Well either your cooked is fucked or you did something wrong!
Smiley face.
Trailblazer188 +

Times thanked
< 0
Cooked a great beef and red wine caserole last night in the slow cooker.

1.5kg beef - browned and put into cooker
4 large onions, 1kg of mushrooms, half a heart of garlic browned and into cooker
12 large tomatoes chopped and into cooker
2 bay leaves

Cook for 6 hours and profit.
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,285

Quote:

Does anyone have any advice on what not to do or how to get hte best results from using the slow cooker? I used mine for the first time yesterday but found i had put too much liquid in at the beginning so i needed to reduce the sauce a bit so it wasn't so watery.

i always add some corn starch to it to thicken up the sauce otherwise it just turns out way too runny.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
MCSphinx +

Brotankhamen.

Times thanked
< 2,122

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdarbs View Post

Well either your cooked is fucked or you did something wrong!

Yep, thinking the cooker is fucked.

Might make another attempt at using it before I most likely bin it.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
I used my slow cooker a few nights ago, to cook a curry and was a bit disappointed to be honest. I think I used a bit too much water, but wasn't impressed overall. I've beeb caning my clay pot, oven styles heaps lately and prefer that method over slow cooking. Plus, it keep a kitchen nice and warm during these cooler/colder days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

skully +

-=*=-

Times thanked
< 28
am going to try a butter chicken on the weekend. Got stacks of chicken thighs to use up and i'm shit at trimming them (end up with hardly any meat) so i'm going to put them in the slow cooker so the fatty bits melt out in the process.
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailblazer188 View Post

Cooked a great beef and red wine caserole last night in the slow cooker.

1.5kg beef - browned and put into cooker
4 large onions, 1kg of mushrooms, half a heart of garlic browned and into cooker
12 large tomatoes chopped and into cooker
2 bay leaves

Cook for 6 hours and profit.

Red wine?
Smiley face.
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

Originally Posted by skully View Post

am going to try a butter chicken on the weekend. Got stacks of chicken thighs to use up and i'm shit at trimming them (end up with hardly any meat) so i'm going to put them in the slow cooker so the fatty bits melt out in the process.

That's a good tip for those fiddly thighs - awesome but you're right, hardly any meat when you trimm'em.

Quote:

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
< 3,285
Weird. When I trim mine my meat looks bigger.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088

Quote:

skully +

-=*=-

Times thanked
< 28

Quote:

OMG tre delish. It was so so yummy.

Check out this blog for the recipe
http://themealplanner.blogspot.com/2...r-chicken.html

I doubled the quantity but only did 1.5 times the spices and pastes. Was really yummy and still had a nice kick. I ommitted the cayenne pepper cause i don't like burning my valve off.

Best homemade butter chicken i've ever had foh shizz
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10
I slow cooked a chicken coconut curry yesterday using red curry paste. It basically just had chicken, carrots, onions, mushrooms, coconut milk, curry paste, and a little bit of garlic. It's nice but just lacking a tiny bit of flavour. Any suggestions on a spice to add to just give it a bit of richness? I think I'm going to put some pineapple in next time as well to break up the flavour a little.
Smiley face.
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
< 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdarbs View Post

I slow cooked a chicken coconut curry yesterday using red curry paste. It basically just had chicken, carrots, onions, mushrooms, coconut milk, curry paste, and a little bit of garlic. It's nice but just lacking a tiny bit of flavour. Any suggestions on a spice to add to just give it a bit of richness? I think I'm going to put some pineapple in next time as well to break up the flavour a little.

try adding some fresh thinly sliced kaffir lime leaf at the end
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,968
more salt
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10
Yeah it doesn't need salt it needs something else. I had lime leaves in but they were there start to finish. Amidoingitwrong?
Smiley face.
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
< 10
usually you finely slice fresh lime leaves and add them right before serving
or you could try adding more curry paste or even adding some towards the end of cooking to boost it up

Last edited by Nick Vidal: 01-Jul-10 at 10:59am

Reason: e

drater +

My god, there's not enough salt in the world for her.

Times thanked
< 602

Quote:

OMG tre delish. It was so so yummy.

Check out this blog for the recipe
http://themealplanner.blogspot.com/2...r-chicken.html

I doubled the quantity but only did 1.5 times the spices and pastes. Was really yummy and still had a nice kick. I ommitted the cayenne pepper cause i don't like burning my valve off.

Best homemade butter chicken i've ever had foh shizz

That recipe website is fkn boss. About to print out at least 10 things from there to try over the next few weeks.
<@big_eddie> new glee ruled
Madam Lasher +

lol

Times thanked
< 146
So what type of slow cookers is everyone using? I have used the electric version but wasn't happy with the result. Cast iron in the oven has been consistently good for me:

djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10

Quote:

usually you finely slice fresh lime leaves and add them right before serving
or you could try adding more curry paste or even adding some towards the end of cooking to boost it up

I had them sitting on top while it cooked then picked them out before serving.

I don't want to add more curry paste because the level of spice was already enough...
Smiley face.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 15,194
try using coconut cream in place of coconut milk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,968
tagines are awesome for slow cooking, the shape of the lid makes all the moisture fall back in to the pot and keep circulating . plus when you take it to the table and pull the lid off = awesome spectacle!
djdarbs +

Times thanked
< 10
Yeah my dad has one of them and it's pretty much his favourite thing in the kitchen.
Smiley face.
Chester +

trashbags unite!!

Times thanked
< 13
cooked the best lamb roast in my slow cooker (its called Lamb kletco or something like that)

basically get a lamb roast of choice ( i had a boned rolled organic one from the butchers) and i cut up some garlic and basiclaly wedged them into the roast, i then threaded fresh rosemary through the roast

i then browned it in a pan and set aside

add sliced onion (one big one) to the pan (with juices in it) and cook to they get soft, add 2 tbsp of flour and mix then add in 1 cup of lamb stock (i used beef) and a thinl sliced lemon and 1/2 cup of white wine, mix and heat through

in slow cooker place rosemary sprigs on the bottom and place the roast on top and then pour hot stock mix over it

then i cooked it for 9 hours

grab two forks and pull apart the meat (its thats soft)

divine!!!!!!!!
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. O.W
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,968
got a beef shin stew braising away in the oven at the moment, guiness leeks garlic onions etc, neil perry recipe, already smelling AWESOME!
Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,758
got a slow cooker the other day.. first crack at it was with lamb shanks... browned them up then put them in a sauce that consisted of pasta sauce, beef stock, red wine, balsamic vinegar and loads of garlic... cooked for 6 or so hours then served on sweet potato mash

got a few ladles of the sauce from the slow cooker and reduced it in a frying pan to pour over the top for thick flavoury goodness
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,968
lamb shanks are hands down the best for slow cooking imo, the gristle and fat in them turns to gelatine and the meat is so freakin tender. mmmmmmmmm
Gussigan +

business dog is all about business

Times thanked
< 3,758
and they're so cheap and easy to cook as well!
little_brad +

Times thanked
< 4,968
shit yeah, prep em up and forget about em for 8 hours!
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,373
Fuck you guys.

Now I want shanks.

ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

sillyclimber +

playing with his old friend... ITM

Times thanked
< 4
I have been going nuts with the slow cooker in the last couple of weeks. So much so, I have about 40 portions in my freezer and will have to stop doing meals until I have gone through it a little.

Something I have done a couple of times which has worked perfectly:
1.5kg of osso bucco or oxtail
250g of mushrooms
1 can tinned tomatoes
couple of potatoes
couple of carrots
glass red wine
glass beef stock
garlic
4 bay leaves
thyme
oregano
Chilli
pepper corns
soy sauce
some flour

Cook until it looks ready then add a cooked mixture of flour and butter to thicken....... YUM! You could also add some more mushrooms about 30 minutes before you stop cooking.

Last edited by sillyclimber: 19-Jul-10 at 09:10am

beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135
did the corned beef in ginger ale this morning as a bit of an experiment...am very interested to see how it turns out!!
ezz_ +

fuck yeah nick cave

Times thanked
< 1,454

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebop View Post

did the corned beef in ginger ale this morning as a bit of an experiment...am very interested to see how it turns out!!

me too! i just inherited my granddad's slow cooker and i want to make this

i made a lentil and vegetable curry in mine on monday night. nice.
it only takes a fortnight to grow a decent beard
you can grow a beard twenty-six times in just a single year
it only takes a fortnight, and you know what else is true
i could grow three hundred and ninety beards before i'm over you
beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135
it was tasty enough, but to me it just tasted like normal corned beef?! i thought the ginger ale would impart some kind of awesome flavour? but, the meat was really tender and yummy.

mum suggested adding some other flavours like honey, viniger and some other spices as well as the ginger ale next time.

i am yet to try a curry, that might have to be next
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
< 1,949
So, in the market for a slow cooker. Recommendations?
grapsta +

8 pinballs at the courthouse...yeeeeah

Times thanked
< 27
I've made a couple of awesome beef curries in the slow cooker recently...kinda rendang / mussaman inspired but with less coconut cream. watched a bit of david thompson /stein in asia for inspiration then this is what I did:

dry roasted some cumin and coriander seeds.
pounded them in mortar and pestle with - lemongrass, garlic ,galangal or ginger ,chilli ,salt grated fresh tumeric.
...then added fish sauce and lime to mixture and pounded bit more.
cut up 1 kg gravy beef...cheaper and better than buying diced beef I reckon. ..browned beef in pan then added spice mixture...lots of it ...after few mins add some more fish sauce and some brown sugar and also tamarind juice ( very important ! ) ...taste for balance of sweet ,sour , salty and spicy.( the most important bit ! )..add more fish sauce(salty) / tamarind (sour) /chilli(spicy) sugar or kecap mani ( sweet) as needed. ...once you've got the balance right chuck it all in the slow cooker..add a little bit of good chicken stock and little bit of coconut milk or cream ( i use about 3 ice cubes of cocnut cream which aint much. ...you cannot go wrong now really. meat needs 5-8 hours ...veges need less so add them in half way if you can ...otherwise you can chuck in pumpkin and onions etc and go to work but they'll form a mushy sauce..which is fine. you can also chuck a whole lemongrass stalk in and kaffir lime leaves whole or shredded.
turns out local thai restaurnat quality at least I reckon
Tunes for the bus volume 2
https://soundcloud.com/grapsta/tunes-for-the-bus-vol-2
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
grapsta +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post

So, in the market for a slow cooker. Recommendations?

breviile seconds shop in redfern or ultimo. i buy a fair bit of gear there..never had a problem
amy winehouse vs big youth / silverstones vs g.corp & big youth/ lord echo /salmonella dub /K-tel harvery /richie phoe/ sola rosa / donny hathaway - ( beatsy collins rmx)
SparklingSam +

Is it beer o'clock yet?

Times thanked
< 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by BootyCamp View Post

get a packet of curry paste, 500g browned casserole beef, a quarter of a pumpkin cubed, some coconut milk. turn on high for a couple of hours, down on low for about 4 hours.

you're welcome.

trying this tonight.
Mac-Daddy +

Times thanked
< 0
got a large slow cooker for my b'day, real keen to try out some of these recipes especially a gangsta lamb roast

a really really easy one i made to break in the new cooker, apricot chicken.

1 tin of apricot necter (found in the canned fruit section)
1 tin of apricot halves (prefer not syrip, but doesnt really matter, cos u can just drain it anyways)
900g's - 1kg of chicken thigh fillets
1 packet of french onion soup mix
some green beans, carrot mushrooms etc.

basically just trimmed back the fillets got off all this crap, halved the beans, chopped mushrooms an carrot etc, added everything into the slow cooker, added some salt pepper, bit of ground cummin, set on low, an let it crank out till i got home form work 8hrs later.. DELISH!

have it with rice or mashed potato, so good, heaps of food too.
beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparklingSam View Post

trying this tonight.

how did it go?
davecw +

thinks Nando is homo

Times thanked
< 516
Purchased a Kambrook 4.5 Litre noticed you guys all have like 6 litre cookers. Is 4.5 to small?

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

We took a look at his goods when we got him home. I never want to see anything like that again - it looked like his penis had been traumatically amputated and stitched back on by a blind grandmother with no arms.

grapsta +

Times thanked
< 27
personally the 6 litres is bit too big as i only cook for 2 ....although i made chicken stock in it the other day ad it was just the right size...but 4.5 litre should do ya
beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135
chucked beef, carrots, pumpkin, red curry paste and coconut cream in the slow cooker on saturday afternoon...cooked on high for 4.5 hours as i wanted it for dinner that night. not bad, but i used gravy beef which was really hard to cut and didn't soften, mum said it would have needed at least 8 hours minimum. wont be using that cut again!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »