The DJ Booth

djs playing the same songs on a night

Tools
seddar +

Looking back at old threads i started, what a wanker

Times thanked
<
djs playing the same songs on a night
i was at a club last night , i wont say where , but over the night i heard 'riverside' 3 different times, and 'when love takes over' twice , and a few other songs were played more than once. i dont understand how this happens. especially if it was the same dj the whole night . or maybe the dj did swap over and he forgot to tell him he had already dropped riverside and when love takes over. or is it that these djs can only afford to buy a few songs so they keep repeating ? lol. well that would atleast show that they arent playing songs they got off zippyshare.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
umm.... DJ's don't leave a setlist behind to give a blow by blow account of the set when handing over.
step on my cubes.
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
Um, most DJ's won't be in the club from open to close, and they don't hand over a set list to the next dj either

It happens a lot of the time in a lot of clubs

Nothing new really

Ever been to a festival, the "track of the month" will be played upwards of 5 times during the day at least!!!!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
jinks.
step on my cubes.
Giddy Heinz +

Times thanked
<
I was also at a club the other night n i heard riverside 4 times including one which was just an accepella over another track. This epidemic of playing the same sh*t songs has to stop. All dj's on this forum please swear never to play these tunes out in public, even if it'll guarentee an emergency titty f**k with carma electra. I'd rather hear that potbellez song from last year than this crap.

why do ppl still like these bulls**t songs!
(insert jokes here)
RILEY44 +

Times thanked
<
I've actually been in clubs, when it is the same DJ for the whole night, and they will still insist on playing riverside and day n night 3 times a piece, i think if you have to repeat songs to keep people at a club your doing a shit job!
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
what the fuck is riverside
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RILEY44

I've actually been in clubs, when it is the same DJ for the whole night, and they will still insist on playing riverside and day n night 3 times a piece, i think if you have to repeat songs to keep people at a club your doing a shit job!

there's nothing wrong with playing the same track a few times over the course of the night IF the tune is a good one, gets a good reaction AND isn't overplayed. it def doesn't excuse djs being lazy by playing the big tune of the moment like this though

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

what the fuck is riverside

you really dont want to know
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

seddar +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum8

there's nothing wrong with playing the same track a few times over the course of the night IF the tune is a good one, gets a good reaction AND isn't overplayed. it def doesn't excuse djs being lazy by playing the big tune of the moment like this though

sorry i disagree , unless the tune is played really early in the night when no one is dancing and then it is played when the night is peaking and everyones dancing, there's atleast 100 other songs that could get every girl in the club wet
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seddar

there's atleast 100 other songs that could get every girl in the club wet

since when is dj'n about getting every girl in the club wet?

oh thats right.. n00b dj's.... my mistake..

continue...

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

seddar +

Times thanked
<
dj'n isnt about makin sure everyones having a good night?
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
no it isn't
djing is about communism and seedless watermelons
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah everyone not just the girls

Quote:

Scratching on CDJ's is like driving a skyline - you think it's cool, but ultimately you're just a retard.

Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

perhaps, but you didn't say that.
step on my cubes.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
I refuse to play songs twice in a set, i think it just cheapens it all. if a song is good, drop it, let the crowd go crazy, and be done with it. leave them wanting more, so that the next time they hear it they lap it up just as before. over-saturation of a tune is fucking terrible and ruins tracks.

dont u love reminiscing about how when so and so track was dropped blah blah lost my shit etc etc... that moment is special, as doesnt happen when a track is played more than once in a set. amiright?
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
djbricksta +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakin Pecan

I refuse to play songs twice in a set, i think it just cheapens it all. if a song is good, drop it, let the crowd go crazy, and be done with it. leave them wanting more, so that the next time they hear it they lap it up just as before. over-saturation of a tune is fucking terrible and ruins tracks.

dont u love reminiscing about how when so and so track was dropped blah blah lost my shit etc etc... that moment is special, as doesnt happen when a track is played more than once in a set. amiright?

Spot on, i feel exactly the same

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
In a mainstream club its bound to happen, you get TOLD to play that shit more than once

However was in PHD (hardstyle) and heard "Showtek - FTS" dropped within 10mins, becuase jewels came on and obviously just rocked up.
Tech-One
kirrin_f +

Searching for some gig in Brisbane to do :)

Times thanked
<
Happens with non-commercial music too I once had a n00b jock follow up my set with the same tracks i'd played only an hour before and he thought he was doing a great job ;-)
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Depends on the track and how it's played. Like Derrick Carter dropping the same acapella 4 times over the course of a night, or someone mixing from one mix of the track into another remix of the track, works wonders.

Saw this American dude drop the Deep Dish breaks mix of Louie Vega and Jay Sealee feat. Julie McKight track 'Diamond Life' (which is just Meat Katie breaks mix of Stephane K's track, Numb with the Diamond Life pella over it really) right through to the first break, then brought in one of the 4/4 mixes of it after the breakdown. Ended up with this gorgeous breaks + 4/4 beat combo with both versions hitting the lyrics at the same time...was bloody beautiful!

However, just repeat playing of the same tune later in your set, no fucking way man...least the bitch requesting the song gets on her knees and opens her mouth!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

no it isn't
djing is about communism and seedless watermelons

there's a revolution i can be part of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Bound to happen when they are a few different DJs...but when it is the same...then it is just that he couldn't hangon to it, until the right moment...

If you know the crowds want it bad then you have to hold on to it until what is the club peak time...there are so many tunes out there...if anything is difficult within a night is not having the time to play all your good tunes...if one gets played once it really is unfair for the others that don't get to be played at all...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
Timski +

These aren't my glasses.

Times thanked
<
Why go to shit places then?
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

This. Just because radio disc jockeys rinse the shit out of the same 15 tracks doesn't mean clubs have to be the same.
latest track
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
i think this is more a reflection on the clubs and events some of you are attending and the lack of variety in the DJs selections/purchases.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RohanP

since when is dj'n about getting every girl in the club wet?

i would consider myself a failure if this wasn't achieved.

You're not making the crowd feel it if you don't see a dance floor full of hard ons and moist crotches

funkedub dot com

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sorry i disagree , unless the tune is played really early in the night when no one is dancing and then it is played when the night is peaking and everyones dancing, there's atleast 100 other songs that could get every girl in the club wet

there is no way a peak time track should be played at the start of the night when no one is dancing
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
it's peak time man, they just pitch them +5 after midnight,
RohanP +

Producer/DJ/DnBaholic!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

i would consider myself a failure if this wasn't achieved.

You're not making the crowd feel it if you don't see a dance floor full of hard ons and moist crotches

i agree, but i was poking at the fact that most new dj's these days are in it just for the chicks nothing more...

you have to cater for everyone including the guys... but essentially its all about the music in the end...

Quote:

Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
can't be helped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
it's only the single girls that you want dancing anyway
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
i would love to see the OP play a dnb or dubstep party and have to face the chinstrokers with that attitude.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
DJ Hitch +

Times thanked
<
I think at alot of these clubs, promoters have a big say in what gets played. I know from my own experience where i have played at clubs and had the dancefloor jumping to a mixture of old and new, only to be told by the jerk off promoter at the end that i wasnt playing enough commercial!!!!!! The question is out of the vast majority of people who go clubbing these days, who really goes to hear new stuff? The majority go to hear the same sh*t over and over again. Its a sad state of affairs really
khaiyin +

Lightnite

Times thanked
<

Quote:

over-saturation of a tune is fucking terrible and ruins tracks.

So play riverside some more?
Or does this abomination only get stronger?
/|±±|\
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hitch

I think at alot of these clubs, promoters have a big say in what gets played. I know from my own experience where i have played at clubs and had the dancefloor jumping to a mixture of old and new, only to be told by the jerk off promoter at the end that i wasnt playing enough commercial!!!!!! The question is out of the vast majority of people who go clubbing these days, who really goes to hear new stuff? The majority go to hear the same sh*t over and over again. Its a sad state of affairs really

the easy solution to this problem would be playing in clubs or at nights where you are free to express yourself musically.

i could never play at a venue/night where i was not allowed to play what i felt was right at the time.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
To DJ Hitch...

That's because 90% of people out clubbing do not have a clue and are only there to get fucked up, dance and have fun with their mates...the music is close to superfluous to them, it's just the background beats to their evening...bar the specific club nights like promoted for the people who love the choons, and even those have a high percentage of "tourist" at them, mates of mates who love the shit, just there because it's what the crew is doing that weekend

The people who notice the slips in the mixing, the track being played twice, the skill of that 2+ minute mix you just played, the people who like to be challenged by the music, those right there are the people I DJ too...and fucked if I'll ever take a gig which has some dickfuck dude telling me what to play.

Yes I appreciate the commercial aspect, yes I play some of it, sparingly, as a treat for those not so heavily into the music to left their night...no I will not play it constantly just to appease these uneducated plebs! If that means less gigs, that's fine, don't want to play shit quality gigs like that in the first place!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaiyin

So play riverside some more?
Or does this abomination only get stronger?

Give it time, i'm hoping Riverside has reached maximum saturation by about now, there has to be a new hit tune coming out by now. im relying on commercial audiences' fickle taste in music to forget riverside sooner rather than later...
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
^^ sounds like you guys should come along to the night i'm running, you've outlined quite a few of the reasons as to why i'm starting it . shoot a pm if you're interested (I feel bad hi-jackin someone elses thread with promo)

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

Eclerkid +

Times thanked
<
dont go to clbs that are likely to play riverside. Hearing it once is way too many times.....
housetrippin +

Times thanked
<
^^ hearing it at all is one too many bloody times!!!
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
what if you were to cut the riverside vocal, and yell out the name of the suburb/club instead?
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

what if you were to cut the riverside vocal, and yell out the name of the suburb/club instead?

put your hands up for hobart

Quote:

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum8

put your hands up for hobart

Hobart motherfucker
DJ Hitch +

Times thanked
<
Trouble hifire & Random_Kiwi. I agree with you 100%. This is why i have not played gigs in over 6 months. I took these shitty gigs cause i wanted to get myself out their a bit. I mean it is f*cking hard to get into a good club night now as a DJ. I want to express myself musically but how do you do that when you cant get a set at a club because you cant gaurantee bringing 30 of your mates every week. I agree you shouldnt do these sh*tty gigs in the first place, but where do you draw the line between wanting to get yourself out their and passing off every gig because you cant play it the way you want to? It gets to a point where you become so frustrated about not playing that you will do almost anything to get a decent set somewhere.
defanutley +

Times thanked
<
DJs need more Imagination IMO
Dig up classics, find the odd remix that no one has, thow curve ball tunes, make a bootleg/mashup, be different!!
Research Research Research Research
There is a world of music out there and a good tune will hold its own weight in the crowd
repatition is bad and if the tune is mustard the tune wont cut it on the floor no matter how many times a dj plays it
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

Hobart motherfucker

well that sentence is redundant

Quote:

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hitch

Trouble hifire & Random_Kiwi. I agree with you 100%. This is why i have not played gigs in over 6 months. I took these shitty gigs cause i wanted to get myself out their a bit. I mean it is f*cking hard to get into a good club night now as a DJ. I want to express myself musically but how do you do that when you cant get a set at a club because you cant gaurantee bringing 30 of your mates every week. I agree you shouldnt do these sh*tty gigs in the first place, but where do you draw the line between wanting to get yourself out their and passing off every gig because you cant play it the way you want to? It gets to a point where you become so frustrated about not playing that you will do almost anything to get a decent set somewhere.

This boils down to what you choose to play. Some genres and styles are going to get you more gigs than others ... but that doesn't necessarily translate into ease of getting a gig.

I've done a handful of gigs where what i played was dictated in part by the management, but obviously, i'm only going to be playing the tunes i've bought and collected, so i'm not going to be playing anything i don't like.

Personally i don't promote myself to promoters/venues much at all these days, and this is reflected in the number of gigs i get. But, to be honest, i don't want to be playing out too often. I like to keep my sets fresh and don't buy copious amounts of tunes, week in, week out.

funkedub dot com

seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<
^ @ Hobart Motherfucker comment
latest track
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

This boils down to what you choose to play. Some genres and styles are going to get you more gigs than others ... but that doesn't necessarily translate into ease of getting a gig.

I've done a handful of gigs where what i played was dictated in part by the management, but obviously, i'm only going to be playing the tunes i've bought and collected, so i'm not going to be playing anything i don't like.

Personally i don't promote myself to promoters/venues much at all these days, and this is reflected in the number of gigs i get. But, to be honest, i don't want to be playing out too often. I like to keep my sets fresh and don't buy copious amounts of tunes, week in, week out.

AMEN! Much the same here...

RudeTed +

Times thanked
<
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<
I think its a good thing I never heard this so called 'riverside'
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore

« Previous Thread Next Thread »