The DJ Booth

djs playing the same songs on a night

Reply
Page 2 of 4
  Tools
trouble hifire +

wax addict

trouble          hifire's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 75
Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
1,542

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hitch

Trouble hifire & Random_Kiwi. I agree with you 100%. This is why i have not played gigs in over 6 months. I took these shitty gigs cause i wanted to get myself out their a bit. I mean it is f*cking hard to get into a good club night now as a DJ. I want to express myself musically but how do you do that when you cant get a set at a club because you cant gaurantee bringing 30 of your mates every week. I agree you shouldnt do these sh*tty gigs in the first place, but where do you draw the line between wanting to get yourself out their and passing off every gig because you cant play it the way you want to? It gets to a point where you become so frustrated about not playing that you will do almost anything to get a decent set somewhere.

best advice i could give you is put your own night on, its not all that hard really and if you put in the groundwork you can end up with not only a regular gig but get to go out and hear/play the music you want.

promo whoring is far less painful if a successful night is in your best interests and not someone elses.

easy.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
sHaRp-b0y +

hope you enjoyed the ride

sHaRp-b0y's Avatar
Joined
Jun '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,737
Thanked 1,457 Times in 269 Posts
Posts
4,786

Quote:

Originally Posted by defanutley

DJs need more Imagination IMO

Agreed

Media Player
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Hitch

Trouble hifire & Random_Kiwi. I agree with you 100%. This is why i have not played gigs in over 6 months. I took these shitty gigs cause i wanted to get myself out their a bit. I mean it is f*cking hard to get into a good club night now as a DJ. I want to express myself musically but how do you do that when you cant get a set at a club because you cant gaurantee bringing 30 of your mates every week. I agree you shouldnt do these sh*tty gigs in the first place, but where do you draw the line between wanting to get yourself out their and passing off every gig because you cant play it the way you want to? It gets to a point where you become so frustrated about not playing that you will do almost anything to get a decent set somewhere.

I hear ya, bro...this is why so many people start doing their own gigs! Bi-monthly things at small places, work up a name for yourself(ves)...if you can find another couple of people to start something like this with, much better, spread the financials out, spread the promotion out, spreads the word further etc etc.

Places which say you can play, so long as you bring X people along shit me to tears (fuck I love that saying!)

Sorry, but your bar/club/party that you're promoting should be good enough to bring people in by itself, I'm just there as the entertainment, not to guarantee people through the door. Even the biggest of local names aren't enough to guarantee X numbers consistently as there's always so many things on each weekend that you're competing with. No objection to working with places to assist in promoting, flyer drops, facebook, other online promo, selling tickets etc, but places which say their DJs have to sell X tickets or bring X mates reak of poorly managed places which are struggling to survive as is so they're using hopeful young DJs to do their own leg work. It's not for me to bring the clientele to a bar, the bar should have its own clientele or something simply isn't working right...amirite?

If the gig is a once off, or bi-monthly, I can guarantee a decent chunk of people coming to see me play because I don't get to play out much...but if it becomes a weekly thing, even your most committed mates have weekends off, and a lot of my mates aren't that committed to partying anymore (read: old! ha) so getting people coming week in, week out just doesn't happen for me...I don't think it happens for many people really
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Purpose +

Registered User

Purpose's Avatar
Joined
Oct '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 12
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Posts
324
I like it when they put in MOS clubbers guide and just let it play a few times.
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

ticketsplease's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Posts
1,445

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

I hear ya, bro...this is why so many people start doing their own gigs! Bi-monthly things at small places, work up a name for yourself(ves)...if you can find another couple of people to start something like this with, much better, spread the financials out, spread the promotion out, spreads the word further etc etc.

Places which say you can play, so long as you bring X people along shit me to tears (fuck I love that saying!)

Sorry, but your bar/club/party that you're promoting should be good enough to bring people in by itself, I'm just there as the entertainment, not to guarantee people through the door. Even the biggest of local names aren't enough to guarantee X numbers consistently as there's always so many things on each weekend that you're competing with. No objection to working with places to assist in promoting, flyer drops, facebook, other online promo, selling tickets etc, but places which say their DJs have to sell X tickets or bring X mates reak of poorly managed places which are struggling to survive as is so they're using hopeful young DJs to do their own leg work. It's not for me to bring the clientele to a bar, the bar should have its own clientele or something simply isn't working right...amirite?

If the gig is a once off, or bi-monthly, I can guarantee a decent chunk of people coming to see me play because I don't get to play out much...but if it becomes a weekly thing, even your most committed mates have weekends off, and a lot of my mates aren't that committed to partying anymore (read: old! ha) so getting people coming week in, week out just doesn't happen for me...I don't think it happens for many people really

This shits me to tears aswell. But from a promoters point of view who are they going to hire, a dj who brings lots of friends or a dj who doesnt?

I wish it was different.
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticketsplease

This shits me to tears aswell. But from a promoters point of view who are they going to hire, a dj who brings lots of friends or a dj who doesnt?

I wish it was different.

Yeah, I hear ya...promoters who are running their own gigs at hired venues I think of very differently to bars/clubs which aren't promoting a specific night, just open as normal with DJs playing. The promoters I'll work with through and through, the clubs/bars which aren't managing themselves well I'll avoid...if their crowds are that inconsistant that the DJs 'have to bring X people along in order to play', chances are high it's going to be a fucking shit gig to play compared with independently promoted parties which will have a more strict music policy, be attracting the right, like minded people etc.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
YossarianIsSane +

Registered User

YossarianIsSane's Avatar
Joined
Nov '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 108
Thanked 182 Times in 101 Posts
Posts
1,404

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purpose

I like it when they put in MOS clubbers guide and just let it play a few times.

lol. Good old radio edits.
DJ Hitch +

Registered User

Joined
Aug '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
46
Trouble Hifire - I like your thinking. Something i have been thinking about for a while and it seems im not the only one.

Random_Kiwi - Thank f*cking god im not the only one who cops this shit. Seems like it is a bit of a regular occurance around Sydney.

I guess it is true, from a promoters point of view i know who i would be hiring, the dude that brings people. It just sucks.

I think i will have to just work on my skills and become a hectic **** like A-Trak or something and then release my fury on the world. hahaha.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120
Yeah, as much as I understand where they're coming from, as a bar/club manager, you should be booking DJs based on their skills/type of music they play is infitting with your theme.

DJ X could be a-fucking-mazing DJ, but as he can only bring 5 mates, DJ Y who us actually really shit, total n00b who will be banging out big room electro anthems at 11pm when there's 5 people dancing gets the set.

A designated bar/club needs someone who managers their DJs/music policy who is fucking passionate about it, clued up on who's who and what's what, create consistency with the roster...the vibe, decor, staff, music, location etc should be what's bringing people in...relying on booking random DJs just coz they've got the most mates who party is super weak and does not a good bar/club make imo.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
TheReturn +

Registered User

TheReturn's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Posts
618
I've played some songs twice in a night. But only to appease annoying requesters at private functions.
trouble hifire +

wax addict

trouble          hifire's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 75
Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
1,542

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

DJ X could be a-fucking-mazing DJ, but as he can only bring 5 mates, DJ Y who us actually really shit, total n00b who will be banging out big room electro anthems at 11pm when there's 5 people dancing gets the set.

i believe this has alot to do with what circles you run in (muscially) anything that is easily accessable to the random passer by (house/trance/electro etc) is going to suffer from this alot more than your subcultures.

don't take that as a attack on musical preference i think its just the way it is.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204
I always play what I feel is needed at that moment in that room, couldn’t care less if I play the same track twice in 4hours though twice is about as far as I’ll go!
Punters are punters they don’t know any better and are going to ask for the same song NOVA is playing (though I don’t really play anywhere this happens) and you just have to deal with that as a given, whether you play it or not is your decision!
In the end as a DJ you have to choice your gigs, if you don’t think you can play the music the venue and punters in the venue will want, don’t do the gig. Some DJ’s don’t mind playing what they are told to play, this doesn’t make them less of a DJ, it probably makes them more of a DJ than me as I have my limits.

What shits me more is the young tosser DJ that feels obligated to tell you, you played it twice (like I didn’t notice) or I fucked up the last mix, you would think they would know better, how many wankers do I have to beat the fuck out off before they leave me the fuck alone! I had a so called mate comment on my mix, in my face over the console while I was mixing, the same fuckwit claims to be a DJ but somehow doesn’t understand how much I want him yelling at me while I’m in the mix! Sorry just pissed off, had to let it our!!

Mind you i don't have Riverside and never will play it in one of my sets!!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
trouble hifire +

wax addict

trouble          hifire's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 75
Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
1,542

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

What shits me more is the young tosser DJ that feels obligated to tell you, you played it twice (like I didn’t notice) or I fucked up the last mix, you would think they would know better, how many wankers do I have to beat the fuck out off before they leave me the fuck alone! I had a so called mate comment on my mix, in my face over the console while I was mixing, the same fuckwit claims to be a DJ but somehow doesn’t understand how much I want him yelling at me while I’m in the mix! Sorry just pissed off, had to let it our!!

this fucks me off as well, in all honesty technically perfect sets are well overrated (for the most part), i would much prefer to see a decent dj who playing wicked tunes than someone who is more interested is perfecting seamless mixes but hasn't got a clue about what is going on on the dancefloor and is far to elitist to have a bit of fun.

fuck some of the best sets i have ever played have been far from technically perfect but that didn't change the fact that the dancefloor was rocking like a motherfucker.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire

i believe this has alot to do with what circles you run in (muscially) anything that is easily accessable to the random passer by (house/trance/electro etc) is going to suffer from this alot more than your subcultures.

don't take that as a attack on musical preference i think its just the way it is.

Yah, I'm picking up what you're putting down.

My main loves are prog/tech-house kinda sound, so it's not too poluted, but means it's not that easy to get a gig as not that many places play it...such is life...used to play heaps back home, like nealry every week + 2 radio shows a week...so it don't bother me to not be playing much these days, and I deft ain't going to sell my soul to play a gig where they'll be instructing me what to play.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
defanutley +

Registered User

defanutley's Avatar
Joined
Jun '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
230
Punters are punters they don’t know any better and are going to ask for the same song NOVA is playing
Eclerkid +

Registered User

Eclerkid's Avatar
Joined
Sep '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
169

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticketsplease

I think its a good thing I never heard this so called 'riverside'

Its a very good thing mate. once you have heard it you can't unhear it. You are in a better place then those of us that have!!!
DJ Hitch +

Registered User

Joined
Aug '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
46
Musical preference does play a big role. I guess thats why i find myself dabbling in everything at the moment, trying not to be to Genre driven.

Kieren - Hahahaha. Well said. Everyone is a fucking critic (or thinks they are) these days.
jac83 +

Registered User

jac83's Avatar
Joined
Apr '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
2
I had the same thing on the weekend!
but then if they play a song at say 11 and again at 3 i would guess 80% of people there at 3 weren't there at 11??? so to them its the first time! Plus normally its a good song!
defanutley +

Registered User

defanutley's Avatar
Joined
Jun '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
230

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

Punters are punters they don’t know any better and are going to ask for the same song NOVA is playing !!

yep radio is the devil, commercial radio has alot to answer for
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221
oh fuk ... oh jesus ... i've just learn what Riverside is

It's that song that gets played twice a day on Nova and makes me want to stab people ... it's bad ... and like, not bad being good .. but bad meaning bad.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire

this fucks me off as well, in all honesty technically perfect sets are well overrated (for the most part), i would much prefer to see a decent dj who playing wicked tunes than someone who is more interested is perfecting seamless mixes but hasn't got a clue about what is going on on the dancefloor and is far to elitist to have a bit of fun.

fuck some of the best sets i have ever played have been far from technically perfect but that didn't change the fact that the dancefloor was rocking like a motherfucker.

Yeah, in the end it is ALL about the crowd drinking and having fun, only 10% of punters will even notice how well you mixed! If playing the perfectly seamless set and your favorite tracks is your only incentive to be a DJ you should give up now and stay at home playing to yourself or promote your own gigs!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
defanutley +

Registered User

defanutley's Avatar
Joined
Jun '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
230
(riverside)more lawnmower house
I havent heard this cheese on toast before
had to tube it sorry it really is the cats arse
evil
im right there with you funkedub
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

twistedbydesign's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 39
Thanked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Posts
16,099
what the fuck is nova
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac83

I had the same thing on the weekend!
but then if they play a song at say 11 and again at 3 i would guess 80% of people there at 3 weren't there at 11??? so to them its the first time! Plus normally its a good song!

thats a good point, most of the punter wouldn't be the same and it doesn't matter!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

macc4's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 401
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Posts
12,412
they are a cover band
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204

Quote:

Originally Posted by defanutley

(riverside)more lawnmower house
I havent heard this cheese on toast before
had to tube it sorry it really is the cats arse
evil
im right there with you funkedub

That crap I prefer to call Electro-dribble, it’s a combination of early 90’s hip-house and late 80’s acid-house Both of which I played at the time!……. I am a house DJ and I hate the idea of people calling this crap House music, it’s far from House music, it’s just POP music!
It’s like saying the BeeGee or the Jacksons made Disco……. POP Bla….
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

what the fuck is nova

it's something people tune their radio to at offices, shops and assorted workplaces ... you learn these things when you socialise and work with a wide variety of people
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

only 10% of punters will even notice how well you mixed!

YEP! It's why I make it a point of giving a DJ props...if they deserve it that is...especially if it's a random bar, not a specific gig, or early in the evening with not many people dancing, or the Sunday arvo DJ at some wateringhole etc...nothing like getting some props from some random person who is actually paying attention...sometimes it's nice to know that there is actually someone out there listening, eh?

Obvioulsy quite different if it's a full fledged party with lots of and going on...

:lol;
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

twistedbydesign's Avatar
Joined
Mar '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 39
Thanked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Posts
16,099

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkedub

it's something people tune their radio to at offices, shops and assorted workplaces ... you learn these things when you socialise and work with a wide variety of people

pe-ople?
you is well learned
day one i hope to be people one of the of which you speak
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

they are a cover band

Big time, the drummer’s not bad!
NOVA is standard commercial radio, nothing but remixes, it’s just pop music for the kids!
I find the new remix fad as proof that most of these “Producers” can’t actually produce original music!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
tektektek +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
24
for everyone moaning about hearing the same tunes more than once, get down to brown alley this friday 10/7 for some of the best and most diverse tunes you are ever likely to hear under one roof. 'Mixed Messages' and 'Rock Like This' are celebrating their birthday parties and the special guests include: Drumatic Twins, Skool of Thought and Worthy, not to mention some of melbournes best djs across many genres. tix 25 buck on the door, or hit me back for some cheaper deals in the fitzroy area.
if you are serious about what you say in this thread and serious about supporting quality nights, it would be wrong to miss this one.
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204
Who are “Mixed Messages”, “Rock Like This”, Drumatic Twins”, “Skool Of Thought” and “Worthy”?????
Melbourne’s best DJ’s is a big call!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

seanious's Avatar
Joined
Jan '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,324
Thanked 503 Times in 288 Posts
Posts
3,822

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

Who are “Mixed Messages”, “Rock Like This”, Drumatic Twins”, “Skool Of Thought” and “Worthy”?????
Melbourne’s best DJ’s is a big call!

i live in Perth and know who some of these dudes are...
latest track
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Funkedub's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 439
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
Posts
21,221
Skool of Thought are a damn fine UK act that like.au very much ... Drummatic Twins ain't too shabby either
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com



*musical needs most likely not met
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204
Cool, maybe i should get out more!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Laptopexcursion +

Registered User

Laptopexcursion's Avatar
Joined
Aug '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 343
Thanked 80 Times in 45 Posts
Posts
925
In longer sets to sometimes drop certain tracks twice or so can be fine (read: crowd are hassling alot for it), if i know the crowd has mostly changed over/ gotten alot messier since the last play . this only ever really becomes a factor in places with a commercial music policy.


not to support the highjacking, but saw worthy a bunch of times last year in sf, he is really good.
tektektek +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
24
heres a link to check out

DRUMATTIC TWINS
http://www.myspace.com/drumattictwins

WORTHY
http://www.myspace.com/djworthy



bring on friday!!!!!
junkbeats +

Registered User

junkbeats's Avatar
Joined
Sep '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
69
I dream of 'those days'
yeah remember when you could go out and hear four DJ's playing a plethora of different sounds and if you recognised a tune it was boring and you left the floor???

Remember hanging out next to the DJ booth to catch a glimpse of the records going back into the box to see the label?

that feeling of excitement that used to come from going out and knowing you were about to hear 6 hours of new music that would leave you breathless with excitement??



ah yes they were the days...
www.junkbeats.com
www.myspace.com/junkbeatsmusic
www.beatport.com/label/junkbeats



EPSS007 One and Only ‘That Place’ including Kriece remix OUT NOW!!
JKBD007 JIMI POLAR + PHIL SMART 'Frostbite' including Jimi Polar acid remix
seth111 +

Registered User

Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 36
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
1,073

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

oh fuk ... oh jesus ... i've just learn what Riverside is

It's that song that gets played twice a day on Nova and makes me want to stab people ... it's bad ... and like, not bad being good .. but bad meaning bad.

Only twice a day???? I would say closer to 4 or 5 times a day!!!
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Matty_neal's Avatar
Joined
Feb '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Posts
1,895
Oh hell yeah this is gonna be fun.


I reckon Riverside is an alright song.









uh oh.

A flame suit won't save me here.



But in saying that, I've only ever heard it once in a club, and that's when I played it and it was a remix by Afrojack. It gets the floor moving funnily enough, PLUS I have proof I had this song way before anyone else did. I got it the day after release, I'm not going to hate a song just because it's mega popular. I'll hate it once I hear it too much.



so yeah, there ya go. First person EVER to admit they don't mind riverside.



I'm so boned.
NEW MIX UP!!! --->>VIEW MY MIXES HERE! <<----- Techy/Techno/prog stuff!!!
twiggy88 +

Registered User

twiggy88's Avatar
Joined
Mar '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty_neal

Oh hell yeah this is gonna be fun.


I reckon Riverside is an alright song.









uh oh.

A flame suit won't save me here.



But in saying that, I've only ever heard it once in a club, and that's when I played it and it was a remix by Afrojack. It gets the floor moving funnily enough, PLUS I have proof I had this song way before anyone else did. I got it the day after release, I'm not going to hate a song just because it's mega popular. I'll hate it once I hear it too much.



so yeah, there ya go. First person EVER to admit they don't mind riverside.



I'm so boned.


The Afrojack Remix is alright.. It's an ok song and it has that wank commercial factor to it which is always good if you need to get body's moving on the dance floor.
Tech House/Prog tech mix here http://soundcloud.com/dj-twiggy/the-...tech-house-mix
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by welike2party

ah not me mate just some friends I am going with want to see him, I just want to go along for the SLUUTTSS!!!

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

SlicyDicer's Avatar
Joined
Apr '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 5,543
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Posts
17,225
Am I a bad person for unironically liking Riverside?

I think it's a fun, bouncy song. Fuck the haters.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204
Mate if we all liked the same music, the scene would really be dull…
There is no good/bad, right/wrong when it comes to music taste!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Thebestwannabe +

DJ JustGeorge

Thebestwannabe's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
589
Lots of arrogant, disconnected bullshit in this thread coming from some arrogant, disconnected tools who havnt worked a club circuit in their lives.

People dont go to clubs from open until close. Some people will use a club as a warmup venue and finish at another club, while others will warmup elsewhere and come to the club to finish up - and so when you play that mega track twice, youre playing it ONCE to each demographic, which is entirely appropriate.

Also, hate to break it to you, but most people in clubs are nowhere near as passionate about music/sticklers on track selection as you may be. In a decent sized club, the vast majority of people, particularly when theyre emotionally amplified (via alcohol, drugs, or the atmosphere) want one thing and one thing only - to hear the music that compliments their mood. They dont give a shit if a song has been played twice - they WANT to hear it twice. Thats why they go mental on the dancefloor - TWICE.

I find it ridiculous that a minority of audiophiles have the gall to knock practices that make good clubs. Newsflash: most people arent audiophiles. Theyre just regular joes that want to have a good time. If you find the practice of repeating tracks so offensive, then go hang out in ultra niche clique venues with other audiophiles - something that you probably cant do, because for the most part, audiophiles are few in number, as are teh clubs that pander to them.

You arent on your own turf because you like music, and know more about music, than other people.
You arent any better than people who just go out to have a good time, just because you know more about music or DJing than they do.
When in a commercial club, realise that commercial clubs arent catering for YOU - theyre catering for the fun party drinking people, and so dont whinge and moan when people dont do things the way *you* want them to.

Point blank, if youre in a club and your most pertinent thought is a bad mix or track repeat, you dont belong in a party, because youre a funless, negative, nitpicking, entitlement mantality having retard that is disconnected from reality that belongs in his bedroom being awesome - ALONE. stay away from the party people. youre just going to dilute their awesome funness with your very unawesome shittiness.

Im TheBestWannabe. I play tracks twice. I rock dancefloors. I make good parties happen. Most people love it. Few dont. The ones who dont can get fucked. Its a party, not a ministry of sound superstar dj comp.

...beats being a whining twat having a cry that the DJ played a song twice, and that 3 minutes of sound just ruined my night. Call a fucking waaaaambulance already

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

I have sucked loads of cock mate...I am a cock sucking machine, I actually hold a record for the most amount of cock sucked in a 12 hour period....why you might ask?? I am a DJ and I need gigs.

Last edited by Thebestwannabe: 07-Jul-09 at 12:34am

Thebestwannabe +

DJ JustGeorge

Thebestwannabe's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
589
oh and btw, riverside is a great song. its not great musically, but its great because it makes people happy. which is fucking awesome.

(played it twice last night too lol)

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

I have sucked loads of cock mate...I am a cock sucking machine, I actually hold a record for the most amount of cock sucked in a 12 hour period....why you might ask?? I am a DJ and I need gigs.

kieren +

save the vinyl

kieren's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 37
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Posts
1,204
Personally 40% of the music I play I don’t care for but the punters I play to love it, this is what we do for a living….

I am an audiophile in the worst sense; I spend more money on equipment for my home than on my mortgage, I still buy at least 10 records a week and I am quite willing to live on 2min noodles if it means I can buy a piece of vinyl I want.
At home when I listen to records I am a complete audiophile but when I’m in a club I leave it all at home and play the crowd, I have no problems playing songs I don’t like or playing them twice if it makes the crowd do what I want them to do,
I have more of a problem playing on sound systems & DJ equipment of such a low standard that I can’t tell the difference between a MP3 and Vinyl than with the music i play but that’s a whole new thread!
"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

macc4's Avatar
Joined
Jan '08
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 401
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Posts
12,412

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestwannabe

oh and btw, riverside is a great song. its not great musically, but its great because it makes people happy. which is fucking awesome.

(played it twice last night too lol)

There are literally thousands of tracks that make people happy.
You must not have much confidence in your own track selection if you need to keep playing this one track to keep the floor full.
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

ticketsplease's Avatar
Joined
Sep '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Posts
1,445

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestwannabe

Lots of arrogant, disconnected bullshit in this thread coming from some arrogant, disconnected tools who havnt worked a club circuit in their lives.

People dont go to clubs from open until close. Some people will use a club as a warmup venue and finish at another club, while others will warmup elsewhere and come to the club to finish up - and so when you play that mega track twice, youre playing it ONCE to each demographic, which is entirely appropriate.

Also, hate to break it to you, but most people in clubs are nowhere near as passionate about music/sticklers on track selection as you may be. In a decent sized club, the vast majority of people, particularly when theyre emotionally amplified (via alcohol, drugs, or the atmosphere) want one thing and one thing only - to hear the music that compliments their mood. They dont give a shit if a song has been played twice - they WANT to hear it twice. Thats why they go mental on the dancefloor - TWICE.

I find it ridiculous that a minority of audiophiles have the gall to knock practices that make good clubs. Newsflash: most people arent audiophiles. Theyre just regular joes that want to have a good time. If you find the practice of repeating tracks so offensive, then go hang out in ultra niche clique venues with other audiophiles - something that you probably cant do, because for the most part, audiophiles are few in number, as are teh clubs that pander to them.

You arent on your own turf because you like music, and know more about music, than other people.
You arent any better than people who just go out to have a good time, just because you know more about music or DJing than they do.
When in a commercial club, realise that commercial clubs arent catering for YOU - theyre catering for the fun party drinking people, and so dont whinge and moan when people dont do things the way *you* want them to.

Point blank, if youre in a club and your most pertinent thought is a bad mix or track repeat, you dont belong in a party, because youre a funless, negative, nitpicking, entitlement mantality having retard that is disconnected from reality that belongs in his bedroom being awesome - ALONE. stay away from the party people. youre just going to dilute their awesome funness with your very unawesome shittiness.

Im TheBestWannabe. I play tracks twice. I rock dancefloors. I make good parties happen. Most people love it. Few dont. The ones who dont can get fucked. Its a party, not a ministry of sound superstar dj comp.

...beats being a whining twat having a cry that the DJ played a song twice, and that 3 minutes of sound just ruined my night. Call a fucking waaaaambulance already

Your like the Tony Hawk of skateboarding, everyone who doesnt skate loves him everyone who does skate doesnt.

See what I'm getting at?

Is easy to impress people who know nothing about it.
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Random_Kiwi's Avatar
Joined
Aug '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 185
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Posts
16,120

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

Cool, maybe i should get out more!

Perhaps you should...Skool Of Thought and Drumattic Twins = HUGE names in Nu Skool Breaks from a few years ago...and yes, along side them is some of the best DJs in Melbourne playing...Boogs, Phil K, Nick Thayer, Rollin Connection...gonna be huge!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
TheReturn +

Registered User

TheReturn's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Posts
618
Having standards for yourself makes you better at what you do.

I try to beat match to the best of my abilities every time, and I try to not play the same song twice because that’s what the punters who are paying to drink and enjoy themselves deserve.

Requests to play a song again are a different matter, because I’m receiving direct feedback from the crowd. And I’ll honour those at a low key venue, where the majority of the crowd isn’t engaged yet, or for a private function - because in the end, you're right it's all about making the punters happy.

But if you’ve got the crowd pumping and you can’t find a song to keep them going that you haven’t played already – you need to either expand your repertoire and bring more records to your gig, or spend more time going out and observing how other DJs can rock a crowd with less.
Page 2 of 4
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts