Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ticketsplease

Your like the Tony Hawk of skateboarding, everyone who doesnt skate loves him everyone who does skate doesnt.

Pfffft, I skate, I love TM...I think you'll find the above statement quite highly wrong...maybe the young new school skaters don't, anyone who is/was a skater who is 26+ years old, different kettle of fish...the man is a fucking legend, through and through! Nice guy too, had the pleasure of meeting him once.

Thebestwannabe - you actually had a good point or two in that rant, but a god awful way of getting it across and by the end, any point you had was lost in the name calling and bollocks...you play commercial gigs and play the same track twice, woop-de-fucking-do, want a fucking medal? Most of us here aren't in this game to play commercial gigs DJing to schmucks you seem to love pandering to rather than trying to elighten and educate. Most of us have more self respect than to sell out like that.

kieren - no objections hamming it up a bit for a crowd, they want cheesy, I can do cheesy, but sorry, playing tracks you flat out don't like is selling out...through and through...how can you even justify buying records you don't like??? Just to get gigs to play them to these same uneducated wasted plebs? Does it make you feel dirty? It should!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

Having standards for yourself makes you better at what you do.

I try to beat match to the best of my abilities every time, and I try to not play the same song twice because thatís what the punters who are paying to drink and enjoy themselves deserve.

Requests to play a song again are a different matter, because Iím receiving direct feedback from the crowd. And Iíll honour those at a low key venue, where the majority of the crowd isnít engaged yet, or for a private function - because in the end, you're right it's all about making the punters happy.

But if youíve got the crowd pumping and you canít find a song to keep them going that you havenít played already Ė you need to either expand your repertoire and bring more records to your gig, or spend more time going out and observing how other DJs can rock a crowd with less.

QTF and to bring it on to the new page! Well said

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Pfffft, I skate, I love TM...I think you'll find the above statement quite highly wrong...maybe the young new school skaters don't, anyone who is/was a skater who is 26+ years old, different kettle of fish...the man is a fucking legend, through and through! Nice guy too, had the pleasure of meeting him once.

Thebestwannabe - you actually had a good point or two in that rant, but a god awful way of getting it across and by the end, any point you had was lost in the name calling and bollocks...you play commercial gigs and play the same track twice, woop-de-fucking-do, want a fucking medal? Most of us here aren't in this game to play commercial gigs DJing to schmucks you seem to love pandering to rather than trying to elighten and educate. Most of us have more self respect than to sell out like that.

kieren - no objections hamming it up a bit for a crowd, they want cheesy, I can do cheesy, but sorry, playing tracks you flat out don't like is selling out...through and through...how can you even justify buying records you don't like??? Just to get gigs to play them to these same uneducated wasted plebs? Does it make you feel dirty? It should!

lol im 26 and I skate.
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

QTF and to bring it on to the new page! Well said

QTF? - not sure what that means.

I re-read the wannabe's post and I just to want to emphasize.

- Giving a fuck about track selection and technique isn’t synonymous with snobbery and boring the punters to death, its the foundation of good DJing
- DJs need to give more credit to the punters and to themselves. People out for a good night are entitled to more than an Ipod with 10 tracks on shuffle and as a DJ you have the skills to provide them with more than that!

Last edited by TheReturn: 07-Jul-09 at 09:16am

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
haha - Why you hate Tony? What did Tony ever do to you?

First person to do an inverted 540, first person to do a 720, first person to do a 900...LEGEND!

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

QTF? - not sure what that means.

Quoted for truth

ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<

Quote:

First person to do an inverted 540, first person to do a 720, first person to do a 900...LEGEND!

I dont hate him, I do respect him. There are just so many other skaters out there who rip.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
i hope one day to be called a sellout on inthemix for doing a "call on me", "put your hands up." Then live off the jade like it's fucking oxygen. To bad i'm an untalented hack when it comes to making music.
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

he tried to build an association between McDonalds and skateboarding when there isn't one
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign

he tried to build an association between McDonalds and skateboarding when there isn't one

I can see the association if you invert the golden arches....
Tech-One
Thebestwannabe +

DJ JustGeorge

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

There are literally thousands of tracks that make people happy.
You must not have much confidence in your own track selection if you need to keep playing this one track to keep the floor full.

it was half an hour before close at a suburban venue on a sunday night and 2 tables of girls plus the barstaff asked me to play it for them.

my track selection is on point - i mix perhaps 8 songs a night. the rest are all hot drops. i wouldnt be able to do that if my track selection wasnt money

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

I have sucked loads of cock mate...I am a cock sucking machine, I actually hold a record for the most amount of cock sucked in a 12 hour period....why you might ask?? I am a DJ and I need gigs.

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

What?

Since when has there been no association between dero pot smoking skate punks and McDs? Half of them live on that shit!

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

What?

Since when has there been no association between dero pot smoking skate punks and McDs? Half of them live on that shit!

Tony Hawk is not a dero pot smoking skate punk
Thebestwannabe +

DJ JustGeorge

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sell out? mate i dj professionally. i dont do this as an expressive thing, a creative thing etc - i do it because a) i like to see people happy - whether theyre lowbrow drunken retard bogans or the coffee and cocaine set - theyre all just people, and them being happy is a good thing, and b) i like getting paid. keep your medals - ill make do with paychecks and random skanks.

having the attitude that doing such a thing is "selling out" is head-in-arsery of the highest order. you want to be creative and musical and expressive and all that great stuff, great. if you can get a gig to do it at, even better. if you cant, do it in your room. either way, dont hate on people that make other peopel have fun, because they dont live up to your standards, particularly when youre gigless and theyre awash in work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

I have sucked loads of cock mate...I am a cock sucking machine, I actually hold a record for the most amount of cock sucked in a 12 hour period....why you might ask?? I am a DJ and I need gigs.

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Tony Hawk is not a dero pot smoking skate punk

yeah but the people he cashes in on are, weed + playstation + maccas = a fun filled night and i usually hate weed.

DJ JustGeorge you're in SA, not much competition there, get back in your box, you arent a superstar
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<

Quote:

What?

you push mongo don't you
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
defanutley +

Times thanked
<
I wonder what the future holds for Djing
maybe a robot with a MOS logo on its head with the MOS top 20 on shuffle
(puts on a robot voice REWIND SELECTA BO)
MMMMMmmmm
who knows
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by defanutley

I wonder what the future holds for Djing
maybe a robot with a MOS logo on its head with the MOS top 20 on shuffle
(puts on a robot voice REWIND SELECTA BO)
MMMMMmmmm
who knows

Maybe for the cheeseball nightclubs....
Tech-One
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestwannabe

it was half an hour before close at a suburban venue on a sunday night and 2 tables of girls plus the barstaff asked me to play it for them.

nothing wrong with this.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

nothing wrong with this.

Have you ever seen two tables full of girls on a sunday in a suburban pub half an hour before close?
dowlz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what if you were to cut the riverside vocal, and yell out the name of the suburb/club instead?

you would then be called tenzin
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<

Quote:

you push mongo don't you

lol!
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sell out? mate i dj professionally. i dont do this as an expressive thing, a creative thing etc - i do it because a) i like to see people happy - whether theyre lowbrow drunken retard bogans or the coffee and cocaine set - theyre all just people, and them being happy is a good thing, and b) i like getting paid. keep your medals - ill make do with paychecks and random skanks.

having the attitude that doing such a thing is "selling out" is head-in-arsery of the highest order. you want to be creative and musical and expressive and all that great stuff, great. if you can get a gig to do it at, even better. if you cant, do it in your room. either way, dont hate on people that make other peopel have fun, because they dont live up to your standards, particularly when youre gigless and theyre awash in work.

Maybe if your a mobile disco dj. wait... you are.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

ill make do with paychecks and random skanks.

wow ... just wow

ITM has generally been about the music ... perhaps you should find a different DJ forum. try this one : DJz4paychecksnskanksforumz.com
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Have you ever seen two tables full of girls on a sunday in a suburban pub half an hour before close?

yeah - if there were a DJ Court of Law and he was being charged with intention to recklessly play a song more than once, he could claim self-defence. No jury would convict him.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

you push mongo don't you

Touche! But no, no I dont...

Thebestwannabe - good for you, least your honest about it...are you honest to the point that you realise what you're doing isn't DJing in the true sense of the word that most people on this site hold it to? Coz you should be...

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Kid you must be the uneducated plebe, DJing is what I do for a living and I have been doing it since you were sucking you mummies tit, obviously you have no idea what youíre talking about, get a lifeÖ..

Since when have Boogs or Phil K been in the running for Melbourneís best DJ, I havenít seen the other two play but Iíve played with boogs and phil and while they are good guys and good DJís neither of them are in the running for Melbourneís best DJís unless your off your head on pills!

I skated with Tony in 89 during one of the Ramp Riot comps in Melbourne and he is a great guy, a bit quiet but nice, though he had a girl with him that was nuts!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Don't call me kid, you condescending fuck...DJing since I was sucking mummies tit, eh? I'm 33, shit for brains, so what, you like 50 and DJ and hang around of forums with a target demographic like less than half your age...pedo or loser? Which is it?

WOW, you DJ for a living?!?!? Great, good for you...you sell out and play music you don't like to pay the bills...GIVE A FUCK??? That's not something I even want to come close to doing, so stop making out like it's an awesome thing and you're Gods gift to DJing!

Phil K is not only one Melbourne's best, he's one of AUSTRALIA'S best, and if you don't think so, you're the uneducated pleb in need of getting a fucking life, asshole!

WOW, YOU SKATED WITH TONY!?!?!? can I suck your cock now? Please???

So who is Melbournes best DJs if Phil K isn't one of them?

Oh, and where are your residencies? Need to know which places to avoid as there's nothing worse than DJs who play shit they don't love...loser

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 07-Jul-09 at 02:21pm

trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
fucking snap.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Don't call me kid, you condescending fuck...DJing since I was sucking mummies tit, eh? I'm 33, shit for brains

he might have meant from that time I was sucking on your mum's tit
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Dude PLUR cmon seriously....

FUCK IT!, continue! this is getting good....
Tech-One
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

he might have meant from that time I was sucking on your mum's tit

is kieren the dj tutor/ellaskins?
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Dude PLUR cmon seriously....

Sorry, but I don't take kindly being talked down to like that, especially from someone who freely admits to DJing music he doesn't even like, yet thinks that isn't selling out...it's the fucking epitome of selling out when it comes to DJing.

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't take kindly being talked down to like that, especially from someone who freely admits to DJing music he doesn't even like, yet thinks that isn't selling out...it's the fucking epitome of selling out when it comes to DJing.

Yea, i can see both side of the argument (minus the talking down)

1. if you playing in a commercial club, you kinda HAVE to play that shit (thats why they have nightlife systems, so u dont have to purchase the music)

2. Playing music you dont like or dont believe in goes against everything (minus mobile djs) should believe in.

I've done both, when u play commercial tho, its not fun, just a job

when u spin a set of what YOU like, its art...
Tech-One
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't take kindly being talked down to like that, especially from someone who freely admits to DJing music he doesn't even like, yet thinks that isn't selling out...it's an epitome of selling out when it comes to DJing.

Sorry, better that i do it...
latest track
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Don't call me kid, you condescending fuck...DJing since I was sucking mummies tit, eh? I'm 33,

2 years isnt that long to be djing
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
well this thread has lost the plot

what is it with DJs and their egos huh

funkedub dot com

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

Lost it at tony hawk IMO
Tech-One
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what mixer should i get? Industry standard and such
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

"Show me someone with an ego, and I'll show you a loser"

Donald Trump

My rant wasn't egocentric, I'm not egotistic about my DJing. I am, however, passionate about playing music I LOVE...and it was just me not taking shit from some sell out self important schmuck

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

2 years isnt that long to be djing

Well done, that's like the best thing you've contributed to this whole forum!

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
pfft i contributed nothing
tektektek +

Times thanked
<
haha, this forums gone mad,

funny stuff.

see ya's on friday where the djs (hopefully) wont play the same tunes twice.....
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Don't call me kid, you condescending fuck...DJing since I was sucking mummies tit, eh? I'm 33, shit for brains, so what, you like 50 and DJ and hang around of forums with a target demographic like less than half your age...pedo or loser? Which is it?

WOW, you DJ for a living?!?!? Great, good for you...you sell out and play music you don't like to pay the bills...GIVE A FUCK??? That's not something I even want to come close to doing, so stop making out like it's an awesome thing and you're Gods gift to DJing!

Phil K is not only one Melbourne's best, he's one of AUSTRALIA'S best, and if you don't think so, you're the uneducated pleb in need of getting a fucking life, asshole!

WOW, YOU SKATED WITH TONY!?!?!? can I suck your cock now? Please???

So who is Melbournes best DJs if Phil K isn't one of them?

Oh, and where are your residencies? Need to know which places to avoid as there's nothing worse than DJs who play shit they don't love...loser

You started the insults mate, but that’s fine!

And for what it’s worth I’m sorry for calling you a kid but I just figured you were!

Yep part Pedophile part loser most of the time, old fart the rest!

I’ll be a sell out when I feel like one, not when you decide I am!

Phil is a good DJ for sure but not the best and I don’t presume to know who the best DJ in Melbourne is as I haven’t seen every DJ play and neither have you!

Did I at any point say I was a better person for skating with someone, crap I skated with lots of people, it’s not going to make me any better than anyone else, I can barely walk these days let alone skate! I was just trying to defend him but maybe it was pointless!

Current residencies at HooHaa, Mink & Vineyard, feel free to avoid away!!!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Ok ok, whatever, sorry, being a bit testy...but seriously, compromising your integrity by playing music you do not like for the money is the essence of selling out...take it or leave it, I do not care...

Hoo Haa is the only one of those places I'd go to, and when I've been there before, the music has been dope (funk/soul/downbeat/hip hop)

What exactly do you play? What music is your main passion to play? What is the music you play but do not like but play anyway?

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

"Show me someone with an ego, and I'll show you a loser"

Donald Trump

My rant wasn't egocentric, I'm not egotistic about my DJing. I am, however, passionate about playing music I LOVE...and it was just me not taking shit from some sell out self important schmuck

Donald Trump is good at making money and crap reality shows, but fails on philosophy here.

Everyone has an ego ... show me someone who doesn't have an ego and i'll show you a corpse. Funkedub

I didn't say anyone was being ego-centric, or being egotistical. It was more a point of people's egos getting a bit bruised by some of the naff comments on this thread and hence the vitriolic replies.

funkedub dot com

base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieren

I had a so called mate comment on my mix, in my face over the console while I was mixing, the same fuckwit claims to be a DJ but somehow doesnít understand how much I want him yelling at me while Iím in the mix! Sorry just pissed off, had to let it our!!

Me and my mates do that to each other all the time or they'll come up and ask "can you play something we can dance to?", I enjoy people taking the piss as long as it's not serious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Kieran, I can definitely see where you're coming from playing stuff like you do at vineyard. But, fuck it man, it's all in good fun. Without chicks on the dance floor the club / pub would be a very boring place.

It's all well and good having principles and playing music you love, but if you're playing at a club to an empty floor, it's not going to reflect very well on you now is it? There's just too many variables to be so narrow minded in your set that you won't allow for any variation of different crowds that may turn up on a night.

Anyway, carry on.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
All good this forum would be boring if none of us disagreed from time to time!

Thursday 9pm-1am, I play garage/house, kind of a background vibe and I love every tune I play (some people might not).
Friday 9pm-midnight, I start off with house for the first 2hours, and then go a bit more commercial, I prefer to go with old house track people know than the Electro-House stuff due to the venue not wanting any “electro sounds”. This gig I recon I love about 80% of the tunes I play the rest don’t really faze me either way, if I hate a tune I won’t play it!
Saturday 9pm-3am, I play classic Soul, Funk and Rhythm & Blues and I love about 95% of the tunes I play!
Sunday I have 2 rotations, one I play house at the other mainly classic house and a bit of old Electro dropped in… the house I love the Electro and some of the classics I’m a bit over!

I can play almost anything from Blues to Rock’n’Roll, Hip Hop to House (the only new music I buy is house) though I don’t play any harder than that these days and I don’t do commercial gigs anymore as I’m just not into it!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

Me and my mates do that to each other all the time or they'll come up and ask "can you play something we can dance to?", I enjoy people taking the piss as long as it's not serious.

I think I lose my sense of humor when I am trying to listen to a track! I can be a bit explosive!
Probably why most of my friends don't take the piss when i'm playing!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

Kieran, I can definitely see where you're coming from playing stuff like you do at vineyard. But, fuck it man, it's all in good fun. Without chicks on the dance floor the club / pub would be a very boring place.

It's all well and good having principles and playing music you love, but if you're playing at a club to an empty floor, it's not going to reflect very well on you now is it? There's just too many variables to be so narrow minded in your set that you won't allow for any variation of different crowds that may turn up on a night.

Anyway, carry on.

I agree completely mate!

Special.K
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »