The Main Room

Brazil

Tools
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
Brazil
Ola, i'm visiting Brazil for the first time and will arrive in August staying for 5 weeks. I'm trying to keep a modest spending money budget around $5k but can be somewhat flexible for those must-do exceptions. I can try cut costs with a few day of couchsurfing or airbnb in the more expensive regions. Any experiences with this in Brazil?

I don't like to compromise on eating out or don't mind spending a little bit extra to see or do awesome things such as paragliding over rio or something like that (not sure if i have the balls for that but who knows). I'm adventurous and love the great outdoors and of course i love to surf. As much as i would really love to do the Amazon i'm not sure if it's feasible to fly all the way out there and come back, i feel it's one of those trips that really deserves a more paced out and jacked up budget.

My rough idea route will be something like:

Arrive Sao Paulo and try fly out the same day to...
Fly to the north east region and explore there for 2.5 weeks
Make my way down the coast to Rio around 1 September by bus for about 1 week
Explore the coast of Sao Paulo to Ilha Grande for 1 week
Slowly make my way to Sao Paulo city and try some of their world famous pizza and sushi.

So suggestions, tips, must do/eat/see?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,494
Hey mate, only did Rio so not a huge help, but you should know it's pricey, expect to pay 75-80% of what you'd pay for food/drinks here, so yeah, it's still a little cheaper, but not much...it's the most expensive place in all of South America

Lapa Street Party every Friday night, insane times, hook up with/stay at a backpackers and go in a group...didn't feel unsafe at all, but I think that's due to being in a group

Take or leave the Samba school tour things, not really all that and they're miles off the beaten track.

Favela tours are awesome, Sugarloaf island is cool, gives you a cool view back at Ipanema/Copa, Christ up on his hill, kinda gotta, though you know, it's not that amazing.

Other than that, we just ate/drunk/sunned ourselves on the beach...enjoy
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
chegoon +

Times thanked
< 1,028
fuck plenty of sluts and smash heaps of coke
ZedOne +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Movendi View Post

Arrive Sao Paulo and try fly out the same day to...
Fly to the north east region and explore there for 2.5 weeks

Recife would be easiest/biggest/cheapest airport to fly to in the north-east. Recife itself isnt mind-blowing but it is an easy commute to Olinda and beaches such as Porto de Galinhus and Jaoa Pessoa - all of which I recommend.

From there and you're keen to go to the Amazon Basin you can take a ~5 day boat from Belem to Manaus, however you'd then have to fly from Manaus to (maybe) Salvador to continue your itinerary.

Quote:

Make my way down the coast to Rio around 1 September by bus for about 1 week

- Salvador (which I believe is a dump outside of Carnaval but some others seem to rate it)
- Morro de Sao Paulo

Quote:

Explore the coast of Sao Paulo to Ilha Grande for 1 week
Slowly make my way to Sao Paulo city and try some of their world famous pizza and sushi.

Get to Iguazu if time permit.
gonefishin +

Times thanked
< 391
I have a basic plan of getting myself to buenos aries and then following the coast of uruguay and southern brazil up to Rio. hope to spend 6 weeks there in total with no set itinery just head north along the coast.
jerry2234 +

Times thanked
< 43
Recently did the following as part of a broader trip

- Iguazu
-Florianopolis
-Sao Paulo
- Salvador for Carnaval
-Rio

Iguazu was cool. Defs worth the visit very touristy but not much else to do.

Floripa as the locals call is fuckin awesome. Best beaches I went to in South America. Great nightlife. Went here for a pretty cheesy pool party but talent out of this world http://www.parador12.com.br/

Sao Paulo certainly has a few days in it

Salvador I can see being a bit of a dump and I think crime was evident but we were fine like any place be careful. Carnaval however was another world never seen anything like it. Must do book accomadation ahead obv and be expect to pay for some things. Being popcorn (just partying on the street) is heaps of fun still.

Rio is Rio lots of cool stuff, touristy, beautiful city

I think my favourite was Buenos Aires I think being so close you'd be silly not to hit it up for a bit if you haven't just insane city
JolyV +

Times thanked
< 117
I´ve heard good comments from curitiba
reak0r +

crum guzzler.

Times thanked
< 914
sao paulo can pretty much be skipped. i (personally) hated it. its massive, dirty and actually made me feel on edge. its like bangkok but with more blow and less ladyboys.
iguazo is a must see. one memory ill take to my grave.
one you get away from the touristy spots you can expect to pay a fair bit less on every day items, as they are jacked right up for the gringos. as beens mentioned try and stay in groups, altho rio is pretty safe to compared to a lot of places. just dont stray too far off the beaten track at night time on your own :p.
didjeridude +

Random Rhythm Generator

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

Recently did the following as part of a broader trip

- Iguazu
-Florianopolis
-Sao Paulo
- Salvador for Carnaval
-Rio

Iguazu was cool. Defs worth the visit very touristy but not much else to do.

Floripa as the locals call is fuckin awesome. Best beaches I went to in South America. Great nightlife. Went here for a pretty cheesy pool party but talent out of this world http://www.parador12.com.br/

Awesome! Apart from Sau Paulo this was pretty much same as my brasil experience in 2009.

P12 was fun (and yeah insane eye candy), but one of the best spots on Floripa is here.... (near to Barra da Lagoa)

Reality: To be or not to be? The Adventures of Dr Shroom (and Captain Jones)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »