Page 1 of 3
  Tools
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
State of the forum
following a post in here, anyone got any gripes or suggestions on how to improve this forum?

feel free to pm me if you want it on the qt

ta
jd
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
one thing mentioned has been the number of threads highlighting new releases, or new podcasts, basically advertising, would people like to see one thread per user only, one one podcasts thread only, or how would you like it to work?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle

one thing mentioned has been the number of threads highlighting new releases, or new podcasts, basically advertising, would people like to see one thread per user only, one one podcasts thread only, or how would you like it to work?

It depends, if it's a big series like RA and gets a decent amount of discussion it deserves it's own thread imo.

Smaller shit can be combined.

(Which is really how it is in terms of podcasts atm)
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
<
yea ibiza voice podcast, RA and new comer melbourne deepcast should deserve there own thread....
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<
I think the label threads is a good idea - like IF? and Haul threads. We just need to do it with everybody else, to streamline.

How about individual artist threads? We already have them for a few people.
Little Nobody + Funk Gadget = Tokyo

'Metropolis How?' 12" remixed by James Ruskin
'The Condimental Op' vinyl remixed by AUX 88

+ '100 Years of Vicissitude' novel
+ 'Tobacco-Stained Mountain Goat' novel

V-Tron +

hmmm

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:

I'd like to see one thread per user for releases but that still wouldn't stop certain members from getting their buddies to bump threads with pages of useless backslapping to make sure their releases: stay at the top of the forum/look interesting because they seem to span more pages than other threads. So it'd be business as usual.
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<
is it useless? i don't see problems.
what makes you so angry v-tron.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
a lot of people are getting sick of and are complaining about some of the threads in here, I wanted to take a tempreture, but I am moving towards one thread per user not label, and bumping, which is against guidelines will be enforced. Personally I do not want to move to this kind of moderation, but people need to stop taking the piss, this is a discussion form, not a free advertising venue.
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<
I dunno but I am not so sure it is useless backslapping man, especially just to 'bump' threads. If a mate of mine puts out a release I am gonna comment, whether I am the first or last to do so. I'd expect others to do the same with their peers out of sheer respect. Not for 'bumping' sake.
If an artist has a release and creates a thread for it, then other for an entirely different release, then an other for a DJ Set/podcast...isnt that 'news' worthy? Each in its own right? I could understand if the threads were going into the wrong forums ie: Techno releases in the Trance section and House podcasts in the Gabba section but if it is all where it should be....whats the problem?? Is it a space thing or more just trying to cut back on new threads??
Soundcloud
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

a lot of people are getting sick of and are complaining about some of the threads in here, I wanted to take a tempreture, but I am moving towards one thread per user not label, and bumping, which is against guidelines will be enforced. Personally I do not want to move to this kind of moderation, but people need to stop taking the piss, this is a discussion form, not a free advertising venue.

Ahh I see. What about a releases thread?
Soundcloud
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
release threads are the main problem
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

release threads are the main problem

I mean a release section of the forum.
So Forum>New Releases> Techno/electro etc etc
Soundcloud
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
no idea, ill post in askitm and ask
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by benkanemill

I mean a release section of the forum.
So Forum>New Releases> Techno/electro etc etc

good idea.
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

a lot of people are getting sick of and are complaining about some of the threads in here, I wanted to take a tempreture, but I am moving towards one thread per user not label.

sorry i don't understand this.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
you do not understand what? one thread per user who is promoting their stuff in here
Laundry +

hear that Gilla monsters

Times thanked
<
i think that electro house should have its own forum so people dont confuse electro & electro house
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

no idea, ill post in askitm and ask

cool.
Soundcloud
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
The extreme bumping is getting kind of silly. I mean the If? Records thread is a perfect example. Just constant bumps by the same people involved with the label.

OnL - Groove Salad
New Feb 2016 mix. Bit of olive oil, a pinch of salt and plenty of groove.
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik

The extreme bumping is getting kind of silly. I mean the If? Records thread is a perfect example. Just constant bumps by the same people involved with the label.

mmm I guess I can see how you would take it as 'bumping' but its like I said (and I have posted in there a lot), most of those dudes are my friends (especially the label owner) so when a release comes out on it I am
A) genuinely interested
and
B) genuinely happy/excited for them and want to congratulate them.
I would imagine it is the same for the others who post.
So what you're saying is that I can only do this in private now?
Soundcloud
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

you do not understand what? one thread per user who is promoting their stuff in here

i'm sorry, i'm not native english speaker, just hoping for to explain clearer. so sorry!
chimby +

Times thanked
<
No offense to the IF records crew and those assosciated, but since all of you seem to be based in Japan and there's only a few dudes that are posting in that thread (This is an Australian based forum), it all just seems like advertising to me. There's no real discussion happening. I've never actually listened to any of your tunes so have no opinion whatsoever of your music. That's just the way I see it, please don't take offense.
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

No offense to the IF records crew and those assosciated, but since all of you seem to be based in Japan and there's only a few dudes that are posting in that thread (This is an Australian based forum), it all just seems like advertising to me. There's no real discussion happening. I've never actually listened to any of your tunes so have no opinion whatsoever of your music. That's just the way I see it, please don't take offense.

i dont understand why you are attacking me because i am a japanese.
chimby +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kana Mat

i dont understand why you are attacking me because i am a japanese.

Dude, I'm not attacking you. You clearly don't understand my post.
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

No offense taken. And yeah, IF? does put out a hell of a lot of music so there is always new releases being added in there.
A new release comes out. People say they like it, or which mix in particular and ask about future releases, yada yada, then a new release, repeat cycle. Its pretty much the same as in all other label threads.
I still think my idea of a releases forum is a goodie
Soundcloud
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik

OK, so this has gotten to be fun, mates - in particular Chimby and PrimalStatik's comments.

Not sure where all this unnecessary angst is coming from today, but let's get a few things semi-straight so that there's a wee bit more clarity.

The IF? Records thread probably gets so many bumps because IF? is a rotating entity that involves close to 40 people, many of them in Australia and ITM posters. We've also, like Ben mentioned (above), been quite prolific with releases - 60-odd over the past 15 months, along with over 20 collaborative releases with Elektrax in Australia and Dead Channel in the UK, so we're probably mentioning these, then our mates respond with feedback, and we thank them for same. There's 240 bumps alone.

Pardon my Latin, but this is a forum, right? As in a discussion board on the Internet? Where people talk and communicate and wax lyrical?

Most of the posts on the IF? site are not advertising, but honest interaction and fun asides that are the hallmark of a positive, cool environment - which I still believe ITM is.

Chimby, just to fill you in, "since all of you seem to be based in Japan" is a little off-skew.

IF? is a Melbourne-born label (1995), and while I moved to Japan in 2001, it's been a Melbourne/Tokyo fusion label since then. Most of the core crew are in Melbourne and Sydney. Kana Mat isn't a member, but a mate of mine who co-runs the TTAK Collective here. I think you're confusing her involvement.

No offense taken at my end, but Kana may be a bit disgruntled.

As I mentioned, tho', this is a forum and we're all adults.

In future if anyone has a pet peeve, for god's sake let's feel free to PM the person annoying us to chat and air our grievances, rather than getting all cantankerous without checking any details first, and saying sometimes inane, unnecessary stuff here.

There's no need for "issues" here, mates.

Got a problem, talk it out. I'm open to PMs anytime, and am coming back to Melbourne in October for 10 days - I'm willing to sit down and have a beer and chat with anyone here who feels the need to complain about my own actions or those perceived to be the fault of IF? Records. And I'll listen - just let's get discussion happening next time.

C'mon, mates.

Let's grandstand the positives, rather than continue whingeing till we're blue in the face!!

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
Dude I have no angst. In fact I like the tunes I have heard on If?. It's just 95% of posts are from the same 4-5 people who either have releases already on the label or stand to benefit from it. So it's some pretty absurd bumping.

This is not whingeing in the slightest. Just things I've noticed that have been occurring a lot lately on this forum that are becoming annoying.

OnL - Groove Salad
New Feb 2016 mix. Bit of olive oil, a pinch of salt and plenty of groove.
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<
Peace, mate. To each their own opinion.

Son_of_Zev +

Times thanked
<
okay this is getting to be the biggest load of BS I have ever seen. a bit under a year ago..IF? records was actually banned from putting out a thread per release (actually a more relevant way to work because we would talk about a release or gig for a week to a few weeks and then move on...)... Now we are copping flack because the IF? thread(s) are getting bumpred too much of a situation the moderators put us in which is having only one thread.. Make up your minds guys...

All that is happening is people seem to be upset that we are actively promoting our mates... ....... at the same time there are threads simply about how many comments people can put up..... WTF is that about.. threads that are started about "controversial topics" that are simply their to draw random comments... and see how big the thread can end up being.. really at least we have something to say and it is about music.. which I though ITM was about.

really what is wrong by standing by your mates.... we all became friends at different times and in different ways but all through respect for each others music.. isn't that what this site is meant to be about... I mean surely it's more interesting than arguments about whether or not G heads or pill heads are more damaging to the scene or even better .. who can come up with the most obscene sounding comments... we care for music and we like each others music and we unashamedly promote it.... FFS.. ppl make up your minds...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Zev
http://www.myspace.com/sonofzev
current releases
T.O.M.M.S
http://www.junodownload.com/products/1461837-02.htm
Check out my remix on this VINYL!!!! (yes vinyl)
http://www.elektraxmusic.com/elekrec001/
Son_of_Zev +

Times thanked
<
Okay ... so now I have cooled down a bit.. My suggestion/comments are this. I personally believe a thread per release is fine or actually better than the one thread per user or label e.t.c....... If it needs to be in a different section as per Ben's comment to make people happy then that sounds good to me.

This keeps the release side in line with the gigs side. You don't see one thread per promoter and you wouldn't want to because you would have to actively search for the event information.
Having a thread per release would probably change the perception about the labels.
It would also show that people aren't just "bumping" the threads but that there are a large number of different acts being released with a very wide range of styles. The Elektrax Umbrella is doing similar things.

The only reason why If? records thread is being talked on so much is that the release schedule is so busy. The fact that Andrez can hold down three jobs be a very active father and organise this many artists from this many countries (although still a very large focus on Australia) and do this, should be commended. It saddens me that it seems to be that people are taking offense to this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Zev
http://www.myspace.com/sonofzev
current releases
T.O.M.M.S
http://www.junodownload.com/products/1461837-02.htm
Check out my remix on this VINYL!!!! (yes vinyl)
http://www.elektraxmusic.com/elekrec001/
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
can I tell you that there is no way there will be a thread per release in this forum, if you would like a releases forum please go support the idea in the askitm forum.
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<
Thanks, A. Really appreciate the feedback.

I think He and Ben are right about a releases section, as this would probably make everybody happy, and stop the general grouchiness from all concerned.

Hope this feedback can be seen positively, and can help the forum be a place more people appreciate.

Personally, I'd like to apologize for pissing off anybody - that was never my intent. I don't come here to advertise - I come here to share news with like-minded peers about music I cherish. Simple as that.

Peace and out.

Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<

Quote:

can I tell you that there is no way there will be a thread per release in this forum, if you would like a releases forum please go support the idea in the askitm forum.

I perceive they're more thinking about a "New Releases" sticky within the thread - correct me if I'm wrong.

And can we be a little more respectful all round, guys?

The tone is really annoying me - I'm leveling this assessment at everyone, including myself. Let's start a new day and develop a sense of humor and open-mindeness as well.

riichiee +

Times thanked
<
I've been posting/lurking around the ITM music forums for almost eight years now, and I've noticed a distinct change in the techno forum over the past year or two.

It mainly seems to consist of advertising threads, with little to no discussion of music.

I don't mind the odd thread here and there, as it's good to know what local producers are up to, but the overall 'feel' of the forum seems to have shifted to a more promotional tool, as opposed to a discussion forum.

There's probably no real easy solution to the problem, I just find myself reading blogs, other music sites, etc, rather than coming here.

Tis a shame, but it's just how things go sometimes.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
riichiee I noticed the same and am pretty keen to change it, I do not want to ban promo threads, but its getting freaking ridiculous imo, and based off the pms and the odd post in here like yours (several people were clearly not comfortable posting in here), I am not alone in thinking this.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by benkanemill

Ahh I see. What about a releases thread?

did you mean one thread only in the forum for releases, a sticky like the post your own mixes or track of the day thread? that could work I reckon
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<
No I was more referring to as I stated before: 'Releases' a sub menu under forum, which opens to Techno releases, House releases etc etc. But if thats not possible then the sticky could work too I guess.

I just wanna say on a personal level that me congratulating mates on their releases was in no way intended to bump or whatever it is. I'm really sorry if it comes across that way and am even more sorry if it has made peoples visits here less enjoyable. I had no idea it would really get up people us gettin behind eachother like we do. So yeah, sorry bout' that
Soundcloud
riichiee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son_of_Zev

The only reason why If? records thread is being talked on so much is that the release schedule is so busy. The fact that Andrez can hold down three jobs be a very active father and organise this many artists from this many countries (although still a very large focus on Australia) and do this, should be commended. It saddens me that it seems to be that people are taking offense to this.

I don't think people are actually taking offense to this, it's just that we're seeing two distinct things happening in this forum at the moment

1 - A drop in members posting regularly (myself included -- although i blame that on ITM being blocked at work, lol) which causes the diversity of threads to narrow.

2 - An increase in promotional threads.

I think there would be no problem with the promotional threads & backslapping if the forum was twice as busy, but it's probably copping a bit of flack at the moment because a large percentage of recent posts in the forum are related to promotional purposes.

I'm not sure what the solution is exactly, but you're wrong in thinking that these are personal attacks based towards individuals/labels.

Maybe we need to attract more members to post in the forum.
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<
I agree with Ben.

And to be honest, if people like Riichiee did more contributing and posting rather than lurking, this forum would be far more diverse and interesting.

I think communication really is the key to make things better here all round.

Let's chat. PM someone if they're accidentally doing something that annoys you. I do it. A lot of other people do - it helps avoid rambling, unproductive theads like this.

And JDoodle, honestly, as the moderator you've really got to set some kind of diplomatic example instead of getting irate all the time, mate. I'm not having a go at you, but you do seem to get kind of annoyed a lot. Let's make this a rational chat about the State of the Forum, rather than firing off two-line missives about things "getting freaking ridiculous" - they're not at all.

There's a big difference between "annoying" and "freaking ridiculous".

To me it seems pretty simple, really. If something is annoying other people, air it via PM to the offender, give them the right of reply, and negotiate.

I think all of us have learned something here, but in a really unpleasant, ugly manner.

Let's solve the new release thing - I think a separate thread and/or sticky would work, to get releases out of the forum itself.

OK, that's it from me. I know I've hogged space here (again), but ITM means a lot to me personally and I'd like to continue to enjoy the experience rather than eat the broken glass here!!

Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichiee

Maybe we need to attract more members to post in the forum.

Now here's a thought - cheers, Riichiee.
The forum has been pretty quiet over the past year or so - always just the same people posting - which probably leads to a stale scenario.

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
I am getting irate because it annoys me (and I have a hangover, so I will dial it back), 14 threads on the front page of this forum are advertising releases, and thats actually a lot less then normal, sometimes its around 20, and I think its dragging the forum down myself.

I actually started this discussion because someone reported your name as a spammer in the askitm forum due to the number of posts and bumps in this forum, that usually indicates a problem. The pms I have received are a lot less diplomatic then the posts in this thread mate, and I was suprised at the number I received.

I have no problem with releases, but we need to get a balance so it doesnt stiffle discussions like it is at the moment imo, the release thread would be one way to try perhaps?
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<
Lets try it!
Soundcloud
Andrez666 +

iffy bizness

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and I have a hangover, so I will dial it back

Heh-heh... I can definitely relate - hope you're feeling better, mate!!

OK, let's all do the reboot and start afresh, and try out the new thread for size.

Walski +

A part of the minimal nation

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laundry

i think that electro house should have its own forum so people dont confuse electro & electro house

ahahaha

made my night paul
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichiee

I've been posting/lurking around the ITM music forums for almost eight years now, and I've noticed a distinct change in the techno forum over the past year or two.

It mainly seems to consist of advertising threads, with little to no discussion of music.

I don't mind the odd thread here and there, as it's good to know what local producers are up to, but the overall 'feel' of the forum seems to have shifted to a more promotional tool, as opposed to a discussion forum.

There's probably no real easy solution to the problem, I just find myself reading blogs, other music sites, etc, rather than coming here.

Tis a shame, but it's just how things go sometimes.

very well said. this really sums up my feelings.
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
there needs to be a thread specifically with links of rocking tunes/links/dj sets/singles etc etc

tank u

Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco

very well said. this really sums up my feelings.

personally i do not agree. one of the thing that attracted me to this forum - i am japanese - was community spirit and friendly chatting about new musics and people making musics.

a lot of angry nonsence here i think.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
i really dont think many people come to inthemix for release info, but with the increasing size of itm it becomes more attractive to people to advertise. Now someone like deepchild, who post threads on his upcoming releases and update on how tours are going, i have no problem. For one he's a sick **** which is irrelevant, but he also adds to discussions and is an active member of the community.
Now some like, say Andrez, i never see you do anything but promote releases or start threads to get hits your shitty blog.

Last edited by mashedman: 19-Jul-09 at 02:11pm

benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

i really dont think many people come to inthemix for release info, but with the increasing size of itm it becomes more attractive to people to advertise. Now someone like deepchild, who post threads on his upcoming releases and update on how tours are going, i have no problem. For one he's a sick **** which is irrelevant, but he also adds to discussions and is an active member of the community.
Now some like, say Andrez, i never see you do anything but promote releases or start threads to get hits your shitty blog.

Umm...Andrez posts in a lot of blogs mate. Besides this all seems to be sorted now so take ya angst elsewhere dude. Chill
Soundcloud
Kana Mat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

this is so rude, andrez is allways saying how cool this forum is to us and he suggested me to join up because its friendly and interesting. why would some one say such rude thing?

you make me feel sick. i think i will stop involved in this forum.
Page 1 of 3
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »