The DJ Booth

Why do you even dj?? meerrr

Closed thread
  Tools
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
Why do you even dj?? meerrr
i started this post as an attempt at finding out why all of you actually dj? i know there are some well respected dj's on this forum but for the thousands of you (who have most likely posted into the show us a pic of your dj setup) please tell us why you actually dj, and dont you dare say its all about the music or i will find you. i ask this because im coming to the realisation that most people who call themselves dj's especially in brisbane (why so many in brisbane, they are like a plague ffs!) have NOOOOO idea about the history of djing or the history and cultural significance of electronic music. most of these teeny bopping wannabes think that djing started when cdjs were invented and have no idea nor do they have any interest in learning more about where this all started.

**$50 who can tell me who jimmy savile is and what he did for dj'ing without the use of searching google**

i just think this will be a good opportunity to find out the inner workings of these so-called dj's and why they do it. and why as soon as they had their first pills in a club and saw that the dj was getting free drinks that they said to themselve "OMG I AM TOTES DOING THAT CAUSE ITS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!"
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<
cos i like to leach the energy off the peoPLe i make dance
Something Coming.
WADZA +

you're really cool man

Times thanked
<
fair enough question...

but how about you start with who the f**k you are, and perhaps why you 'DJ'...

EDIT: ...if you do 'DJ'

Upcoming:

Sat 16th June : Deepchild (Berlin) @ Barsoma
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie nipple

i started this post as an attempt at finding out why all of you actually dj? i know there are some well respected dj's on this forum but for the thousands of you (who have most likely posted into the show us a pic of your dj setup) please tell us why you actually dj, and dont you dare say its all about the music or i will find you. i ask this because im coming to the realisation that most people who call themselves dj's especially in brisbane (why so many in brisbane, they are like a plague ffs!) have NOOOOO idea about the history of djing or the history and cultural significance of electronic music. most of these teeny bopping wannabes think that djing started when cdjs were invented and have no idea nor do they have any interest in learning more about where this all started.

**$50 who can tell me who jimmy savile is and what he did for dj'ing without the use of searching google**

i just think this will be a good opportunity to find out the inner workings of these so-called dj's and why they do it. and why as soon as they had their first pills in a club and saw that the dj was getting free drinks that they said to themselve "OMG I AM TOTES DOING THAT CAUSE ITS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!"

honestly man,who cares about the history.if peple enjoy playing football with there local team do they have to know all the history of football,how it originated,who were the big players in the 80s

if you like doing it,do it.you have to move with the times.peoples dj idols are not the same anymore.

ps,jimmy saville was known as the first dj to mix 2 tracks together(if memory serves me right)but i preferred the work he did on jim'll fix it.
seascape +

OLDSKOOLDOTCOMDOTAU

Times thanked
<
I play Oldskool House, Rave & Techno. I do it to bring the music i love back to the new generation as well as bring out the "older" people who used to listen to it. Its great to play a track from 1991 that brings a smile to someones face or to see the new generation of clubbers reactions.
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seascape

Its great to play a track from 1991 that brings a smile to someones face or to see the new generation of clubbers reactions.

react horribly id imagine,some of that stuff has not aged well
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
i started because i saw a DMC video and was like, holy shit i want those skills!!!!

Now its more of finding music i like of whatever genre and building sets that make people dance...
Tech-One
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
i like this thread.

Ten years ago some shitty decks/mixer were left at my place after a party, so I bought some tunes and it snowballed from there.

I enjoy it, I do it for myself. No promotions or arse licking involved, I play out when invited to do so.
wookie monster
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash

honestly man,who cares about the history..

yep. You are everything wrong with the industry, this forum and your mum
wookie monster
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

honestly man,who cares about the history.if peple enjoy playing football with there local team do they have to know all the history of football,how it originated,who were the big players in the 80s

if you like doing it,do it.you have to move with the times.peoples dj idols are not the same anymore.

ps,jimmy saville was known as the first dj to mix 2 tracks together(if memory serves me right)but i preferred the work he did on jim'll fix it.

One space after a , or a )
Two spaces after a .

Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
I like music.

I also like collecting records and I like manipulating them together to make mixes.

Then I found out, that I like doing that even more when it makes other people dance.

That's why I DJ.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Love music
Love the challenge of constructing a set/recording a mix album/holding a 3+ min long mix
Love vinyl
Love collecting vinyl

I don't even think of myself as a "Deejay" as I don't play out enough, don't really care about it either...just enjoy having fun on the decks at home with mates.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<
I do it because it's frickin fun; as above, if invited to play out then all the better. Besides, we all need a creative outlet. And it's healthy to have a creative outlet. Saves time and DL quota being wasted on p0rn - well sometimes, anyway.

And it's cut waaaaay down on my therapy bills.
Bringing back correct usage of the semicolon.
skunky +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie nipple

please tell us why you actually dj, and dont you dare say its all about the music or i will find you.

Its all about the music. Plz find me.

P.s. just another gay I was a DJ first thread. Get over it.
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Ok im going to put myself out there as the first flame bait for the elitists since i am the younger generation of DJs and my first setup did contain CDJs.

Growing up always enjoyed music, got into playing the drums and loved it. Spent hours every afternoon after school searching for new music.

When i hit about 16 my love of EDM started. Loved it listened to it all day everyday, worked my $7/hour job at woolworths all week went to westfields on the saturday and bought CD's. When i had no money i downloaded mixes and yes sometimes i downloaded songs but i didnt know any better at that age i would have stolen money if i had the chance.

When I was just 18 and started clubbing the whole idea of Djing hit me and i slapped myself i never thought of it before. The final nail in the coffin was at a family xmas lunch, someone who works with my uncle came around as hes from the UK and has no family over here... After a few too many and some rambling he mentioned how he had been a DJ for years starting off local and then getting the chance to play some bigger venues.

SO i set out and bought a little shitty behringer midi mixer and had a go. Recorded some mixes listened back and fell in love with it from day one. So saved up for CDJs etc bought my first setup and now here i am.

Now i find myself constantly procrastinating at work on beatport etc. then heading home and mixing for an hour or 2 before i start thinking about dinner or shower.

Sure I dont have as much knowledge on the history on Djing and dont really own much vinyl but I do it because i love the music and being in charge of what i believe is the main part to someones night out is fucking ace.

Theres my input, back to work for me.
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by skunky

BAAAAAH Hahahahaha! Love it
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by skunky

Dude has a point. Thread reeks of circle jerk.
seascape +

OLDSKOOLDOTCOMDOTAU

Times thanked
<

Quote:

react horribly id imagine,some of that stuff has not aged well

Well most of the events i play at are aimed at the oldskool market. Earlier this year i played at the Big Day Out in the Boiler Room and there was some funny reactions to some tracks i played. In terms of events like that you have to pick the tunes you know that people would like and react well to. You cant expect people to go off to an obscure 90s rave tune but they would like something like Ultrasonic or Passion Gat Decor.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Anyone else a little scared that there's two alien lifeforms posting in this thread?
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

Anyone else a little scared that there's two alien lifeforms posting in this thread?

I am a more scared by the amount of variations to the username sean appearing in the dj booth of late!
wookie monster
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
nsfw - not safe for wookies
wookie monster
Eclerkid +

Times thanked
<
allows me to interact with the music i love.

Alos nothing beats the feeling when the florr in fornt of you goes nuts at the bomb you just dropped......
Jaakko +

Retarded Uber

Times thanked
<
Like a really good fart in a lift then?
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Its just really an extension of loving music so much that i wanted to interact with it more.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaakko

Like a really good fart in a lift then?

dropping the bomb and waiting for the reaction???

mmmm.... i like this example....
Tech-One
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
the only reason anyone has ever dj'd ever is either for money or bitches.

FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Last edited by Dr Bones: 06-Aug-09 at 02:46pm

SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
It's all about the love of the music...

If you know about the history of house, you will know that it has the strength and power to unite people of all religions.. people from all walks of life... people of all colours.. people of all sexual orientations... people of all different countries....

On the dance floor, there is no discrimination... you are not black, you are not white, you are not gay, you are not straight....you are not rich, you are not poor... you are there to dance.... you are there to revel in the music....the dj is the priest and the dancers are his followers....

To me it's all about togetherness... people getting together and revelling in their common love for music is what gets me going.....
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
skunky +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubbyBoy

It's all about the love of the music...

If you know about the history of house, you will know that it has the strength and power to unite people of all religions.. people from all walks of life... people of all colours.. people of all sexual orientations... people of all different countries....

On the dance floor, there is no discrimination... you are not black, you are not white, you are not gay, you are not straight....you are not rich, you are not poor... you are there to dance.... you are there to revel in the music....the dj is the priest and the dancers are his followers....

To me it's all about togetherness... people getting together and revelling in their common love for music is what gets me going.....

You've still gots all your PLUR intact. Respect.
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
I DJ cause its why god put me here and I dont want to upset him
Upcoming Sets

RIOT presents BARE (USA) MINISTRY OF SOUND TOUR 27/7/12
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

the only reason anyone has ever dj'd ever is either for money or bitches.

FACT.

+ cocaine
Tech-One
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewbaccaKongDSp

yep. You are everything wrong with the industry, this forum and your mum

riiight,ive been djing since i was 14,27 now so ive probably been djing longer than most.
got into it before it was popular.
i know my history but imo its irrelevent.
get over yoursleves
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seascape

Well most of the events i play at are aimed at the oldskool market. Earlier this year i played at the Big Day Out in the Boiler Room and there was some funny reactions to some tracks i played. In terms of events like that you have to pick the tunes you know that people would like and react well to. You cant expect people to go off to an obscure 90s rave tune but they would like something like Ultrasonic or Passion Gat Decor.

shiiiiitttt if i heard ultrasonic out id go bananas.i was a huge fan of there stuff.

id imagine there,d be funny looks if you dropped a US song though
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

+ cocaine

that too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Eclerkid +

Times thanked
<
[quote=SubbyBoy]

On the dance floor, there is no discrimination... you are not black, you are not white, you are not gay, you are not straight....you are not rich, you are not poor... you are there to dance.... you are there to revel in the music....the dj is the priest and the dancers are his followers....QUOTE]

Im all choked up!!!

Serioulsy, great description of what the dancefloor "is".......
Tapout007 +

Times thanked
<
I got into dj ing for the same reason as most THE BITCHES!!!! YEAH BOY!!!!!! and when people ask what ya do? you can say "IM A MOTHER FUCKING DJ!!!!"
ballistix +

Times thanked
<
I listened to compilations and really appreciated how tracks seemed to "morph" into each other. I thought it was done by the people who actually made the track, hence they could get the various parts of each track and make them into one track. I found out that normal people could do it and that people actually do it out live at a club, so I was naturally all over that shit.

It's sweet.
seannash +

Times thanked
<
tryin to figure out if the OP is saying that if you dont know your history you dont deserve to dj?

most people who get into it for the wrong reasons soon get bored of it when they realise there not going to be superstar djs after 1 year
Shifty-Sly +

Times thanked
<
10 years in and I still have not realised Im not gonna be a superstar DJ

My mum says Im the best DJ she knows...... My mumma dont lie
Upcoming Sets

RIOT presents BARE (USA) MINISTRY OF SOUND TOUR 27/7/12
Slapppa +

Times thanked
<
chicks luv it.....like guys on motorbikes....doesnt matter if your butt ugly, you would still get a root (alcohol helps)