The DJ Booth

Why do you even dj?? meerrr

Closed thread
  Tools
TwoThirdsMajority +

I'm not Matty_Neal

Times thanked
<
Imagine a jukebox. A soulless machine playing music. What does it do besides playing music? Nothing.

So that's when the DJ comes in. DJs are not only human jukeboxes, they will do anything with the track they are spinning. They will scratch, cut, beat mix and everything.

That's why i became a DJ. To see a track i play being edited while at a live audience is an amazing thing. And i love music. DJs love every aspect of music. Even the shittiest track a DJ would hate would be enjoyable if it connects to an audience or being remixed.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/mohdtaufiq
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/twothirdsmajority
If Turntables are not an Instruments, then Skateboarding isn't a sport
You Might be a shit DJ, but atleast you're better than Peter Hook!
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash

honestly man,who cares about the history.if peple enjoy playing football with there local team do they have to know all the history of football,how it originated,who were the big players in the 80s

if you like doing it,do it.you have to move with the times.peoples dj idols are not the same anymore.

ps,jimmy saville was known as the first dj to mix 2 tracks together(if memory serves me right)but i preferred the work he did on jim'll fix it.

yeh you forgot to reference wikipedia for that buddy. plus jimmy was no the first person to mix two tracks together but was the first recognised person to use two turntables. he did not have a mixer but merely wanted to fade in fade out quickly. your statement of who cares about the history says it all, and why youll never be a success. the fact you have no interest in something the you "love" really denotes how much you dont love it. if you love something you should endevour to find out as much as possible about it.

and to wadza: i do dj mate, at a very prominant club in brisbane i might add, however im not stupid enough to tell you who i am.
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie nipple

i started this post as an attempt at finding out why all of you actually dj? i know there are some well respected dj's on this forum but for the thousands of you (who have most likely posted into the show us a pic of your dj setup) please tell us why you actually dj, and dont you dare say its all about the music or i will find you. i ask this because im coming to the realisation that most people who call themselves dj's especially in brisbane (why so many in brisbane, they are like a plague ffs!) have NOOOOO idea about the history of djing or the history and cultural significance of electronic music. most of these teeny bopping wannabes think that djing started when cdjs were invented and have no idea nor do they have any interest in learning more about where this all started.

**$50 who can tell me who jimmy savile is and what he did for dj'ing without the use of searching google**

i just think this will be a good opportunity to find out the inner workings of these so-called dj's and why they do it. and why as soon as they had their first pills in a club and saw that the dj was getting free drinks that they said to themselve "OMG I AM TOTES DOING THAT CAUSE ITS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!"

jimmy saville was, if memory serves a bloke in the uk who put on parties in dance halls in about the 20's or 30's but instead of using a band he came up with the idea of using two turntables.........no i didn't google it.......the book "last night a dj saved my life" goes into it in detail.

Does that mean because I know that I have earned the right to DJ?

PM me for my bank details.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubbyBoy

It's all about the love of the music...

If you know about the history of house, you will know that it has the strength and power to unite people of all religions.. people from all walks of life... people of all colours.. people of all sexual orientations... people of all different countries....

On the dance floor, there is no discrimination... you are not black, you are not white, you are not gay, you are not straight....you are not rich, you are not poor... you are there to dance.... you are there to revel in the music....the dj is the priest and the dancers are his followers....

To me it's all about togetherness... people getting together and revelling in their common love for music is what gets me going.....

mate spot on.. well said.

the fact is most people on this forum actually know what they are talkiong about and they wouldnt be on here if they didnt love the music. so this thread kind of backfired in that i was trying to weed out the little posing so called "dj's". however from seeing many a people say "shit thread" etc i thought this would stimulate some interesting conversation
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<
To be clear I love researching the history of the DJ and house/disco/dance music etc.

I just think if you took 100 of the worlds best DJ's and asked em who Jimmy Saville was if 10 knew I'd be staggered.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
rubbish they all would... what im trying to say is there is a FAAAAR bigger picture to this whole industry than you in your bedroom or the mad doggs at GPO. why dont you try researching a little who knows you might learn something, be inspired and hopefully realise that this industry is far bigger than you getting chopped and like totes dancing till 5am. do you think rock n roll started when elvis started singing, no! let that stew for a bit.
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what im trying to say is there is a FAAAAR bigger picture to this whole industry than you in your bedroom or the mad doggs at GPO. why dont you try researching a little who knows you might learn something, be inspired and hopefully realise that this industry is far bigger than you getting chopped and like totes dancing till 5am.

how would you know what i, or anyone else on here does or doesn't know about the history of Dance Music and DJ culture.

Plenty of people on here would know a shitload more than you.

In conclusion it is my considered opinion that you are a complete and utter wanker and should piss off back to wherever you came from .......
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
wookie nipple, just out of interest, what styles you play?
wookie monster
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
I had to Google Jimmy Saville as I had no idea who he is and I can't say I find him very interesting. Though I do remember seeing him on the tv.

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeh you forgot to reference wikipedia for that buddy. plus jimmy was no the first person to mix two tracks together but was the first recognised person to use two turntables. he did not have a mixer but merely wanted to fade in fade out quickly. your statement of who cares about the history says it all, and why youll never be a success. the fact you have no interest in something the you "love" really denotes how much you dont love it. if you love something you should endevour to find out as much as possible about it.

and to wadza: i do dj mate, at a very prominant club in brisbane i might add, however im not stupid enough to tell you who i am.

ha ha ha.i didnt wiki it man.jimmy saville is a legend in ireland and england and because i grew up in ireland i know exactly who he is from watching him on tv.

also is fading one track in and the other out not a mix?

i also dont need to have an interest in the history because i know my history of dance.grew up with alot of it also back in ireland and continue to be involved in it to this day.so i fill your criteria but i dont think you need to know about the history to be a dj.

also not to blow my own trumpet here but id be considered a more successful dj compared to most on here.ive run my own nightclub in new york,played wmc 3 years in a row,the last time was with dj pierre,roy davis jr,barbera tucker to name a few.

but all this doesnt mean shit and even if ive never done any of this you do not have the right to dictate who can and cant dj based on the fact you know a couple of facts that any 10year old who puts wiki into there browser could find out.

i dare say ive lived more of this history than most and again even if i didnt so fucking what!!!!!
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
To the OP, why the fuck do you care why I am a DJ? it's none of your business, and i'm sure you would just use any information given, no matter how genuine, to judge each and everyone one of us. I pick you as the type that thinks that he is the be all and end all of DJing and everyone of the rest of us are just posers.

Honestly, I learnt how to mix because i was interested in emulating and doing what I loved the most. as a teenager I was a huge metal head, so I learnt guitar. then I got into EDM and as a result i wanted to learn how to mix. performing this skill in public was just a natural step
DJ PEEKS

Oct 2009 SYMMETRY Promo
http://darkaudio.co.uk/index.php?p=y...48&traid=3268&

I'm Not Even Joking
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T1D2X82J

ALF In PROG Form Mach II (Dom-less Edition)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SLYC24U3
pomcocks +

Times thanked
<
knowing the first person to mix records doesn't make you a better dj, thinking it matters just makes you a douche. Lots of people dont give a fuck about the "industry" or you for that matter
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i might add, however im not stupid enough to tell you who i am.

What's stupid about owning your success proudly? Paranoia on the other hand would lead you to believe otherwise... If you're comfortable with who you are, what you do and the views you express then respecting yourself enough to own your views and present your credentials is pretty elementary stuff. Just cos someone said you made bad thready shouldn't cause you to lose any sleep.

We get a lot of people of the particularly opinionated variety around here who make a point of bignoting their invisible resume and hiding behind an alias, which kinda dismays me cos if more people got behind their opinions we'd all have a slightly firmer grasp on the context of these discussions, and overall, more respect for that person. Serious. Fuck, I know that I've cheesed more than my share on here and it's no great secret who the Tool is. And I suck.
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
viva la Jesse Saunders

/thread

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by underhousearrest

viva la Jesse Saunders

/thread

pet hate number one is people like yourself who thinks their word is final, does the slash thread thing
wookie monster
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

What's stupid about owning your success proudly? Paranoia on the other hand would lead you to believe otherwise... If you're comfortable with who you are, what you do and the views you express then respecting yourself enough to own your views and present your credentials is pretty elementary stuff. Just cos someone said you made bad thready shouldn't cause you to lose any sleep.

We get a lot of people of the particularly opinionated variety around here who make a point of bignoting their invisible resume and hiding behind an alias, which kinda dismays me cos if more people got behind their opinions we'd all have a slightly firmer grasp on the context of these discussions, and overall, more respect for that person. Serious. Fuck, I know that I've cheesed more than my share on here and it's no great secret who the Tool is. And I suck.

ha ha ha,good post man.
kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

Exactly why i ditched the alias and now use my name!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<
so i can play music i like and make people dance - thats about it!
NEVER MIND THE BALEARICS! TROPICAL DISCO AND BEYOND!, BACK REAL SOON - SIGN UP HERE
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewbaccaKongDSp

pet hate number one is people like yourself who thinks their word is final, does the slash thread thing

Soundcloud

Quote:

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

pomcocks +

Times thanked
<
pet hate: people who use pet hate

fuck i hate myself right now

still waiting for funkdubs state of the scene address
divid3d +

-_-

Times thanked
<
i want to record mixes for myself and others to listen to and enjoy, and it would be nice one day to get some gigs and share the music i love with other people, and give them the same feeling that i feel when i'm on the dancefloor and an awesome track comes on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

Don't get hooked though, drugs are evil and will make you rob grannies for that next hit of space dust.

wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
i find it funny (i was actually laughing) at the fact that a particular group of you guys were so quick to assume that i had said anything like your a shit dj if you dont know any of the history of the industry. where did i say that? i am merely trying to point out the fact that there are too many people quickly assuming the status of dj just because they own equipment etc. these particular people have no idea about the history and have no interest in learning about it. i was interested in and thought it would create some interesting discussion over why it is that people actually dj.

however, basically from all the people that actually bothered to stick to the thread all had really good answers. it pleased me to see that the people on this forum do it because of the right reasons. i myself dj because i feel that music (especially house music) is the one medium on the earth that can unify people as one and whilst its my job to direct the emotional flow of the music i am still impacted as much and the same as everyone else. i dont do it for money because there isnt any unless you tour simple as that, plus brisbane isnt exactly known as the leader in hourly rates for dj's..

i like being a silent achiever and thats the way im going to keep it on itm as well i dont think it really matters WHO i am as it shouldnt affect these discussions. its not an attempt to be a gutless little 17 y.o spouting how he is the best dj blah blah blah..

N.B youll notice ive made very few posts, however i have been reading for a while and i notice that the same old peeps jumping up at the first chance to declar elitism, are typically those who are avidly pursuing negativity on these forums.
seannash +

Times thanked
<
nice backtrack
pomcocks +

Times thanked
<
here we go again with this right reasons bullshit, i dont think you're elitist, i think you decided to start a thread on this topic so people would think you're a sick ****
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
Funkedub alias imo.
fffffffff
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomcocks

here we go again with this right reasons bullshit, i dont think you're elitist, i think you decided to start a thread on this topic so people would think you're a sick ****

yeh buddy cause people actually know who i am.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
oh that wookie nipple is the greatest ay... yeh sick dj man.
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i find it funny (i was actually laughing) at the fact that a particular group of you guys were so quick to assume that i had said anything like your a shit dj if you dont know any of the history of the industry. where did i say that?

you did say i wouldnt be a success
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

oh that wookie nipple is the greatest ay... yeh sick dj man.

nah, he tries too hard and does afraid of being himself
wookie monster
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
how can you possibly say who cares about the history??! have you no interest? how ignorant can you possibly be seannash? whatever your accomplishments may be, the fact that you dont care about the evolution of what you love is sad.
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
^^^ i still dont see why someone has to know the history? sure its a good thing to know were your coming from but that can be said with almost anything..

people play soccer because they love to play, do they need to know who first invented it?

people love to DJ because they love the music. doesn't mean they have to know the history of dance music to love it?
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
again mate didnt say that. how bout actually reading what ive said before jumping on the band wagon. im making the point that there are those who want to be the cool kid dj without even knowing what they are doing. most of you know the history of what your doing to an extent not necessarily every single step that got it to where it is. however i will make the clear point that is incredibly ignorant to not want to know the history of something you love no matter what it is. for example any child over 12 who plays soccer will know at least some history of the game.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
edit: any child over 7
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

how can you possibly say who cares about the history??! have you no interest? how ignorant can you possibly be seannash? whatever your accomplishments may be, the fact that you dont care about the evolution of what you love is sad.

because people who love dance music dont automatically have to research it to dj.
your opening statement was that you cant believe the amount of people who dont know the history of dance.

does not knowing this history take anything away from there enjoyment when there mixing in there bedroom o infront of a crowd.

i know my history but i certainly wouldnt preach to people my disgust because some other djs dont.
in this thread youve told me i wont be successful because of my attitude.

heres the thing,i dont care about being successful because even if id never done anything with djing id still be excited about dance music.

how exactly does knowing the history of dance music help you be a better dj?
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

again mate didnt say that. how bout actually reading what ive said before jumping on the band wagon. im making the point that there are those who want to be the cool kid dj without even knowing what they are doing. most of you know the history of what your doing to an extent not necessarily every single step that got it to where it is. however i will make the clear point that is incredibly ignorant to not want to know the history of something you love no matter what it is. for example any child over 12 who plays soccer will know at least some history of the game.

ok, let's talk about history and ignorance then.

you are here with little or no historical context, leaving us all ignorant as to who or in fact what you are.

we need to know your history, in order to be able to judge the level of your ignorance in regards to your thread
wookie monster
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
what he ------->ChewbaccaKongDSp said
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
my answer, and others, can be found here : https://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sh...d.php?t=231891
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash

how exactly does knowing the history of dance music help you be a better dj?

wow what a stupid thing to say. seriously.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

my answer, and others, can be found here : https://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sh...d.php?t=231891

here's what I had to offer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

it gives me something to do in between cones

ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

would you like a valid certificate funkedub? or is it just me that the link doesn't work for?

edit: https is the problem, needs less s
wookie monster
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

wow what a stupid thing to say. seriously.

ha ha ha right man
tell me how it can make you a better dj.
your logic could mean that if i learned the history of football i could be a better footballer.

practice makes you better,experience makes you better
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<

Quote:

History repeats itself so its actually irrelevant coz in a few years it'll happen again.

Soundcloud

Quote:

talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
be right back... i'm going to learn about food so i can become the next Master Chef.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewbaccaKongDSp

ok, let's talk about history and ignorance then.

you are here with little or no historical context, leaving us all ignorant as to who or in fact what you are.

we need to know your history, in order to be able to judge the level of your ignorance in regards to your thread

mate i dont know you and i can clearly understand your level of ignorance. i know where what i love started and where its been how its progressed and evolved. i learnt that not because i thought it would make be a better dj i did it because i wanted to LEARN, something im beginning to think a few of you are incapable of doing, however subsequently i do believe it has made me a better dj for plenty of reasons.

i didnt realise there were so many dj's in brisbane.
RudeTed +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

don't worry guys. you'll all be jaded soon enough. viva la dj mixing!

Haha maybe so. I've been playing out for 5 years now and I think the best thing to keep you doing your job well is an influx of fresh talent. They may be cheap, but soon the venue managers and promoters realise why they pay you good money and why they book you.

Bring it on freshies
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
mate you wont become a chef without learning. my point exactly. thanks couldnt have summed it up any better
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

mate you wont become a chef without learning. my point exactly. thanks couldnt have summed it up any better

whaaaattttt

please stop typing
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

If you're mixing at a prominant (sic) Brisbane club then the chances are you're playing house ... or trance. House DJs, more often than not, the biggest wankers when it comes to the roots of DJing ... and that's coming from me, who most ppl on this sub-forum associate with having my hand on it excessively.

edit: oh wait ... noticed the house references ... you are a house DJ. You're the kind of house DJ that gives house a bad name Do you play at Alahmbra? Bar Soma? or worse ... The Met? Or Mono?

extra edit: DJ culture has more to thank Jamaica for that Jimmy Saville
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

mate i dont know you and i can clearly understand your level of ignorance. i know where what i love started and where its been how its progressed and evolved. i learnt that not because i thought it would make be a better dj i did it because i wanted to LEARN, something im beginning to think a few of you are incapable of doing, however subsequently i do believe it has made me a better dj for plenty of reasons.

i didnt realise there were so many dj's in brisbane.

You have no idea of my level of ignorance, it may be in direct proportion to yours, but I doubt it.

You see, I am not trying to generalise many people into one shit category as a way of increasing my own self esteem.
wookie monster
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »