why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

If you're mixing at a prominant (sic) Brisbane club then the chances are you're playing house ... or trance. House DJs, more often than not, the biggest wankers when it comes to the roots of DJing ... and that's coming from me, who most ppl on this sub-forum associate with having my hand on it excessively.

edit: oh wait ... noticed the house references ... you are a house DJ. You're the kind of house DJ that gives house a bad name Do you play at Alahmbra? Bar Soma? or worse ... The Met? Or Mono?

extra edit: DJ culture has more to thank Jamaica for that Jimmy Saville

none of those bud however your comment of barsoma is a little excessive great place that is one of very few outlets for good house. and yeh your right we basically have jazz music and rhythm and blues to thank. mono or the met isnt house by the way its rubbish.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
clearly cookiemonster and seany cant read. do you always take all posts out of context and completely miss the point?
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
posting in dumbest thread of 09...

i'm with everyone else, how will knowing the history of dj'ing make me a better dj?

i find the history interesting, but hardly something important to a dj's job...

explain to me how knowing the history of dj'ing has made you a better dj.

point form will do
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
see, whilst i get grief for being an elitist prat on here, at least i have the testicular fortitude to stand by my ideas and everyone knows my name (and perhaps what i look like) and where they can find me playing out and about and pull me up on anything i wax lyrical about on here ...

wookie nipple, you remain elusive ... reveal who you are and what you do and let's be real about this shiz
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookie nipple

clearly cookiemonster and seany cant read. do you always take all posts out of context and completely miss the point?

Out of context? Sorry, I missed the point of that, unless it was just diversionary to the point at hand.
wookie monster
Slapppa +

Times thanked
<
DJ....wasnt that the blondie chick from Full House?
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
AGAIN for the last time the point of this was asking people why they dj. some people managed to get others did not. yes i believe knowing some histroy can improve for me it helped illustrate a larger picture of what music actually is and and how/why what we do affects people. learning history doesnt include only who did what at what time it also incorporates where the music stems from, helping not only understand production side of things but also in developing a better understanding of various instruments how sound interacts with its counterparts etc etc

i like my invisbleness, what would you like to hear though funkedub if i were to say i was a dj that you respect would that affect what i have said? just hypothetically.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
p.s sukamadik
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

helping not only understand production side of things but also in developing a better understanding of various instruments how sound interacts with its counterparts etc etc

i would consider this Musicianship - and yes, I heartily agree that dj's should know about musicianship.

I kinda get where you're coming from now... but the history of dj is just a teeny bit of the history of music.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
well by dj history i really mean the history of the music that the dj plays, but history of dj as well.
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
actually, the history of music doesn't really include dj at all

well, unless we are talking about the turntablist side of things.....
wookie monster
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
the history of dance music certainly does, and i was always under the impression that this was inthemix was concerning?
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
all music is dance music, ITM is mainly about electronic dance music

dj means disc jockey, the music is on the disc already, and the jockey manipulates that music

when you say jockey, normally it refers to someone that rides a horse

do you need to know the history of horses to ascertain why someone would ride such a creature?
wookie monster
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChewbaccaKongDSp

actually, the history of music doesn't really include dj at all

yes it does, anything that is yet to happen will one day be history to someone else.
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

yes it does, anything that is yet to happen will one day be history to someone else.

sort of, but the music is still music, regardless of how it is presented

for the most part, djing is just a way of presenting music that has already been created, a way of presenting musical history
wookie monster
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

for the most part, djing is just a way of presenting music that has already been created, a way of presenting musical history

you know what im talking about then, you clearly know in some respect or another the concept of actually being a dj, where as my point was to acknowledge the fake "dj" who does not.
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

thus being a part of that history - this is what i'm getting at
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
fake dj?
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
didnt he just play a mix cd or sum sh1t? what a douche
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

you know what im talking about then, you clearly know in some respect or another the concept of actually being a dj, where as my point was to acknowledge the fake "dj" who does not.

how are they a fake dj because of this?
are they up there pretending to turn knobs,make mixes.if yes then thats fake.
however

if they're up there actually djing why do they need to know about the history of it.
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
they dont have to i just would have thought people would want to learn as much as possible about something that they are passionate about. and you know exactly what i mean by "fake" dj.
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<
kyle sandilands?
wookie monster
seannash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

kyle sandilands?

ha ha,topical wit
Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<
As bad as it sounds I suppose I started cos I wanted to be a DJ, and push sounds, learn about the music that was changing the face of the world (and uniting all colours preferences etc, as someone mentioned!) this is like 1992-93 though, and good records, the internet, CDs in Dance music were a rarity (I remember getting a Universe mix CD and we were all agog at this Mix that was on A CD).

Before that I used to play Drums and guitar and listen to metal and industrial music like Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 etc, slowly but surely I immersed into the world of dance music, first techno, then house in the late 90s and now I find myself unable to stick to one genre or time which is farken fantastic.

If you listen to a DJ like Ron Trent or Norm Talley, they mix across the decades but it is perfectly constructed.

Got about 2000 records, am unfortunately contributing to the closure of the local vinyl retail industry via Beatport and Stompy (still buy about 50-60%vinyl though)

So there it is. I hate dudes that go " I WANNA DJ, SIIICK"...and rip free music at low bitrates and play on CDJs to get the chicks and the credit, but I was pretty much the same for my "time".

Having said that, and recognising that I am no name in lights kind of DJ, it has taken me overseas (UK, Fiji) and interstate a fair few times, hooked me up with some wicked dudes, got me laid a couple of times, got me drunk a million times (one reason I don't seek out gigs anymore!), and most importantly I can't fuckin stop buying music even if I only play out once or twice a month for peanuts!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstacee

As bad as it sounds I suppose I started cos I wanted to be a DJ, and push sounds, learn about the music that was changing the face of the world (and uniting all colours preferences etc, as someone mentioned!) this is like 1992-93 though, and good records, the internet, CDs in Dance music were a rarity (I remember getting a Universe mix CD and we were all agog at this Mix that was on A CD).

Before that I used to play Drums and guitar and listen to metal and industrial music like Nitzer Ebb, Front 242 etc, slowly but surely I immersed into the world of dance music, first techno, then house in the late 90s and now I find myself unable to stick to one genre or time which is farken fantastic.

If you listen to a DJ like Ron Trent or Norm Talley, they mix across the decades but it is perfectly constructed.

Got about 2000 records, am unfortunately contributing to the closure of the local vinyl retail industry via Beatport and Stompy (still buy about 50-60%vinyl though)

So there it is. I hate dudes that go " I WANNA DJ, SIIICK"...and rip free music at low bitrates and play on CDJs to get the chicks and the credit, but I was pretty much the same for my "time".

Having said that, and recognising that I am no name in lights kind of DJ, it has taken me overseas (UK, Fiji) and interstate a fair few times, hooked me up with some wicked dudes, got me laid a couple of times, got me drunk a million times (one reason I don't seek out gigs anymore!), and most importantly I can't fuckin stop buying music even if I only play out once or twice a month for peanuts!!

Zenit35 +

Times thanked
<
Wookie nips, in response to your original question (bare in mind i havent read the entire post).

Dj'ing is something i enjoy, and is predominantly about the enjoyment i get from music + how my taste interacts with people around me regardless of whether it is a dancefloor or mates. Now hunt me.

Last edited by Zenit35: 06-Aug-09 at 09:30pm

Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Nah, read it again..I said I USED to listen to metal..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
I can see that the topic has built up into a bit of heated discussion.... hehe...

To be honest with you and no offence intended to you wookie, your thread seemed a bit threatening to a lot of ppl and sounded a bit "elitist" and hence you solicited the reaction that you received.

A lot of the big wigs don't know who Jim Savile is..

It is definitely not important to know about the history of house/djing... but yes, it does give you a better appreciation of it.... i discovered djing in my teens really and the scene was still developing.. i didn't see the Summer of Love but yes i was there(too young) and i saw all my cousins and their friends going out and enjoying themselves.... when i grew older (read 16/17+), i really started getting into it and read up abt the history.. I had the fortune of meeting a few dj's(thanks to my father) who gave me a better understanding of the scene and how things were then... their first hand stories made it all the more interesting for me and hence, that strengthened my love for the music.

but not knowing about it does not make you any lesser of a dj really..... because you could be privy to things that others are not aware of.... djs that have not made it into the history books yet but might make it into them in the future.... who knows? you know what i mean?
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
i started djing before it was cool.

(djing became cool when pepsi put turntables and headphones on their cans in 05)

whoops i started in '06

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

kieren +

save the vinyl

Times thanked
<
Personally I hate you all, if you all died I would have more gigs, chicks & coke for myself and I could play whatever I wanted to play.
Iím 1,000,000 times the DJ any of you are/will be so you should all give up and sell me your vinyl.

Sorry I hate to release some of my built up elitism!!

"Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid"

Special.K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641649534.
www.s-w-s.com.au
www.klad.com.au
OutOfNowhere +

Times thanked
<
I have been reading these forums for a little while and i have noticed that alot of people bag out people and say they are 's**t' or 'fake' dj's because of their motives, how technical they are, what genres they play, what equipment they use and now because they don't know the history of the dj

A 'real' dj's job (in the EDM scene) is to select and mix music so it makes people dance and it doesn't matter how or why. If most of the people in the room are dancing and having a good time, they are doing their job. Dj's who don't select or mix their own music or make people dance, they are the 's**t' and 'fake' dj's.

Why do people forget this??
Music is what feelings sound like.
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i started this post as an attempt at finding out why all of you actually dj? i know there are some well respected dj's on this forum but for the thousands of you (who have most likely posted into the show us a pic of your dj setup) please tell us why you actually dj, and dont you dare say its all about the music or i will find you. i ask this because im coming to the realisation that most people who call themselves dj's especially in brisbane (why so many in brisbane, they are like a plague ffs!) have NOOOOO idea about the history of djing or the history and cultural significance of electronic music. most of these teeny bopping wannabes think that djing started when cdjs were invented and have no idea nor do they have any interest in learning more about where this all started.

**$50 who can tell me who jimmy savile is and what he did for dj'ing without the use of searching google**

i just think this will be a good opportunity to find out the inner workings of these so-called dj's and why they do it. and why as soon as they had their first pills in a club and saw that the dj was getting free drinks that they said to themselve "OMG I AM TOTES DOING THAT CAUSE ITS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!"

free sluts,drugs and booze
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

what would you like to hear though funkedub if i were to say i was a dj that you respect would that affect what i have said? just hypothetically.

I simply think that if you were to not hide behind a moniker and a LCD monitor to do your preachings/investigations people would give you more respect.

That and we can come up and randomly quiz you about facts and figures of DJ history next time we see you out at a gig
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

I simply think that if you were to not hide behind a moniker and a LCD monitor to do your preachings/investigations people would give you more respect.

That and we can come up and randomly quiz you about facts and figures of DJ history next time we see you out at a gig

agree with funkedub here... also you say that you have been on here for a while? what like a month? In the last 3 months this thread has come up a few times... and all the people who frequent the dj booth know eachothers point to views and know how to ask a decent question in order to get good discussion...

You can on here, fresh from reading "last night a dj saved my life", and playing at some random club in brissy and then get angry when someone doesnt like your view...

You are also hiding behind a monitor, i will meet anybody on these forums who has a problem with what i say, its not hard to find out who i am... follow the links...

Let us know where you play, might even come down and have a look, check out our style as im thinking other people would... what do you have to hide???

P.S. LOUISLOGIC!!! keep posting them posters, their cool...
Tech-One
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
You suck wookie nipple. Seriously.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
RANT ABOUT BOOK aka "last night a dj saved my life"

Yes its a good book, and a good read. But it isnt the BE ALL AND END ALL of dj history...

There is plenty of AWESOME dj's and producers, scenes and genres that didnt make it into that book..

it was written by writers to tried really hard to delve into the history of a scene that is pretty hard to find info on, but like i said... its only one book and they have too keep it readable

/RANT
Tech-One
Grandmaster Ash +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

Yes its a good book, and a good read. But it isnt the BE ALL AND END ALL of dj history...

There is plenty of AWESOME dj's and producers, scenes and genres that didnt make it into that book..

it was written by writers to tried really hard to delve into the history of a scene that is pretty hard to find info on, but like i said... its only one book and they have too keep it readable

/RANT

Same goes for the book Love saves the day. Both great reads but as always things are gonna fall through the cracks. I am currently waiting on delivery of You Better Work! Underground Dance Music in New York City by Kai Fikentscher
j_hunter +

Times thanked
<
haha

I'm 21 and I only started collecting/gaining a real interest in dance music about this time last year, when I was 20. 99% of my stuff is off beatport and I have about 1000 songs which I've bought from there in the last year.

I started 'djing' at home about 4 months ago when I bought 2 x CDJ200s and a DN-X100. Since then my interest in the local underground scene, music collecting, DJing techniques and just the EDM industry in general has grown every day. Yes, compared to most vinyl veterans I am a baby - but that doesn't mean I'm any less passionate!

wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
wow, lovely to see once again the usual retarded bunch have begun to put words in my mouth. im sick of having to repeat myself. you few would make great policemen, not listening to anything and putting words in my mouth and all. IN FACT I MIGHT START TYPING IN CAPITALS PERHAPS ITLL HOLD YOUR ATTTENTION A BIT LONGER!! I HAVNET SAID 95% OF THE THINGS YOU SAY I HAVE. NOT ONCE DID I SAY YOU CANT DJ WITHOUT KNOWING SOME OF THE HISTORY. YES "LAST NIGHT A DJ SAVED MY LIFE" IS A FANTASTIC BOOK BUT THATS NOT SOLEY WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO. I DO HOWEVER STRONGLY BELIEVE IT WOULD HELP PEOPLE IF THEY JUST TOOK THE TOOK THE TIME TO LEARN. I MADE THE DISTINCTION OF A FAKE DJ AND JUST TO GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE I READ IN SCENE MAGAZINE NOT TOO LONG AGO OF A DJ IN BRISBANE ONE WHO PLAYS IN CLUBS NONE OF THE MAJOR 3 BUT IS STILL KNOWN. WHEN ASKED WHY HE GOT INTO DJ'ING HIS REPLY WAS "MONEY, FREE BOOZE AND WOMEN." IF ANYONE ON HERE DEFENDS THAT COMMENT THAN YOUR JUST AS BAD AND I HATE YOU. EXCUSE ME MOZART WHY DID YOU WRITE ALL THOSE MASTERPIECES "OH TOTALLY FOR THE BITCHES YO!"

IF YOU DJ FOR WOMEN, MONEY OR FREE BOOZE YOU DONT DESERVE THE TITLE DJ.

AND IN REGARDS TO REVEALING WHO I AM... SUCK IT. I THINKS ITS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY FOR ME TO DIVULE WHO I AM. YOU CAN RESERVE JUDGEMENT ONM ME WITHOUT KNOWING ME THATS FINE. IM NOT GOING TO REVEAL MYSELF ONLY TO HAVE DOUCHE BAGS LIKE YOU KNOWING WHO I AM. IF YOUR SO UNIMPRESSED THAT I "HIDE" BEHIND AN LCD SCREEN THAN PERHAPS YOU SHOULD HAVE PICKED A MORE FACE TO FACE FORM OF DISCUSSION NOT A FORUM ON THE INTERNET!
D0001 +

Times thanked
<
cdj's rule!!!!!!
D0001 +

Times thanked
<
u seem an angry old DJ
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

IF YOU DJ FOR WOMEN, MONEY OR FREE BOOZE YOU DONT DESERVE THE TITLE DJ.

DO YOU PLAY FOR BOYS UPSTAIRS AT THE BEAT
wookie monster
D0001 +

Times thanked
<
oh and ur not mozart !!!
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

/RANT

AND YOU KNOW WHAT MATE I JUST TOOK A LOOK AT YOUR LITTLE BLOG OR FAN PAGE OR WHATEVER, WE ARENT EVEN IN THE SAME SCENE. STOP COMMENTING ON THINGS I SAY.. YOU PLAY HARDSTYLE, IS THAT EVEN MUSIC?
wookie nipple +

Times thanked
<
And Stop Commenting On The Punters If You Have No Experience There. Im Sure The People Who Attend The Weddings You Play At Are Completely Different To The Ones That Actually Go To A Club.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

AND YOU KNOW WHAT MATE I JUST TOOK A LOOK AT YOUR LITTLE BLOG OR FAN PAGE OR WHATEVER, WE ARENT EVEN IN THE SAME SCENE. STOP COMMENTING ON THINGS I SAY.. YOU PLAY HARDSTYLE, IS THAT EVEN MUSIC?

petty attack bro, just petty... yea i play hardstyle, but if you went to my mixes page i have a house mix, a funky house mix and an electro house mix... and there just ones i did for fun.

any way.... keep typing in capitals champ

my question is, what if someone dj's just for the bitches, but they are AWESOME, (like track selection, mixing etc etc) what would you say to them?
Tech-One

Last edited by slackas: 07-Aug-09 at 11:56am

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

And Stop Commenting On The Punters If You Have No Experience There. Im Sure The People Who Attend The Weddings You Play At Are Completely Different To The Ones That Actually Go To A Club.

hey man don't get too upset, the only wedding i played at was when your fathers got married
Tech-One
ChewbaccaKongDSp +

reflect this thing

Times thanked
<

Quote:

LOL CAPS FILTER

YOU SHOULD REALLY LEARN THE HISTORY OF EVASION TECHNIQUE SO YOU CAN BECOME A GOOD FORUMER
wookie monster
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »