The Main Room

Where did you lose your Raveginity

Tools
N4TE +

I play rough now - don't like it? Don't play.

Times thanked
<
first big one would be a Hysteria full moon beach thing in 94. first time losing it raver styles I recall hanging off the rafters at a wharehouse in fremantle in 92. Details escape me, apart from climbing into the roof and being upside over a room full of fucked up people at one point and thinking what a cool way to die falling would be. I think that was the important part anyway. Red dragons. say no more.
“Care more than others think is wise,
risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical
and expect more than others think is possible."
i_am_ducky +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoGood

Belfast 2

was that around july 98 at the palace???? i know my first was a belfast but cant remember whether it was 2 or 3
there's no such thing as excess, just varying degrees of style...
CrAsHiii +

Uleash the Chi

Times thanked
<
Swanston st.
Mako1974 +

Times thanked
<
Freedom 2!!!! Freedom 2!!!! the one you mentioned in the carpark in ultimo - my god!!!! That was my first rave and it was UNREAL!!!!!! I guess it was 93...

There is one track that I remember from that that I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of - it sampled Queen's "Somebody to Love" - it was the first track I ever loved and I would love to get a copy.
Mako1974 +

Times thanked
<
Honourable mentions go to the following raves:

Overdrive - in Camperdown Public School
Afterbirth - cnr of O'Riordan & Botany in Sydney
Utopia - the one that got cancelled in Windsor - and the Let it out 94 Vegas tape was spawned (does anyone have a copy - mine was stolen in my car recently)
Smurf Village - at the Hardcore cafe
Jurassic Rave - Hardcore cafe again
Children of the Hardcore - Hardcore cafe again!!!
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako1974

Freedom 2!!!! Freedom 2!!!! the one you mentioned in the carpark in ultimo - my god!!!! That was my first rave and it was UNREAL!!!!!! I guess it was 93...

There is one track that I remember from that that I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of - it sampled Queen's "Somebody to Love" - it was the first track I ever loved and I would love to get a copy.

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, Freedom2 was one of my early parties, and such an occasion it was.

Too funny, I too remember Nik Fish playing that track later into the night, all while the lasers tunnels rotated around me. This was it! Pretty much an out-of-this-world experience.

The track, if it helps, is: "To Love" by Fits Of Gloom.

Also, another funny moment was the ecstatic run up the road to the car shortly after midnight where my girlfriend was riding out the initial waves. I mean, I was sprinting, I was the fastest man on earth, I was flying!!!

...and I didn't realise how silly I looked 'til I heard some people along the footpath exclaim, "Wow, look at that guy running!".

..oops, the things we do!

Great party, and enjoyed DJ Edge too.

N.B. To al you rave naysayers, this was a candy-free, happy-hard-free event, as the good ol' days all were.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Afterbirth

There was really a party called "Afterbirth???

af·ter·birth n.
The placenta and fetal membranes expelled from the uterus following the birth of offspring.

ewwww!!!
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
And with all this talk of early parties, particularly around the early to mid 90s in Sydney, may I point you to...

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=154290

Please consider sharing any ol' tapes you might have buried away in shoeboxes. Remember those $20 relics under the glass counter in Flipside, Central Station Records, Oxford St, Sydney?

If you need a hand copying, cleaning-up, or hosting these precious mixes, please post in the thread.

Cheers all.
Mako1974 +

Times thanked
<
There sure was! I think it might have been Afterbirth 3 - I may even still have the flyer around somewhere... packed away in the garage.

THANK YOU!! for the Fits of gloom info - I've since found another thread here with links to old dj sets - good lord!! I'm going to OD on memories in a minute.

Hey do you remember in the carpark of Freedom 2 there was a Delorean replica car? (From back to the future) I also remember they had sour Warhead lollies in the chillout room - the perfect partner to being totally mashed in the head!

I remember the tunnel lasers too... ... !!!!
Mako1974 +

Times thanked
<
Gosh yes I remember buying tapes under the glass at Central Station - I still have a few - Fenix Outerspace, SpellBound, a Lance & Quang tape from Overdrive - I have Crisis 3 decks but it's a copy and an Akira tape which is a copy also. Once I figure out how to upload them I'll post them... thank god people keep these.

I would LOVE a copy of let it out 94, seeing as how I just lost mine when my car got stolen. didn't give a sh*t about the car, just the tape.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

There sure was! I think it might have been Afterbirth 3 - I may even still have the flyer around somewhere... packed away in the garage.

THANK YOU!! for the Fits of gloom info - I've since found another thread here with links to old dj sets - good lord!! I'm going to OD on memories in a minute.

Hey do you remember in the carpark of Freedom 2 there was a Delorean replica car? (From back to the future) I also remember they had sour Warhead lollies in the chillout room - the perfect partner to being totally mashed in the head!

Ah, memories.... for all the haze, there's plenty of clarity.

This November (21st I think), it'll will be 13 years since Freedom 2. Amazing to think what's grown from there. Who'd have imagined back then that we'd soon enough see 25,000 people crammed into The Domain for Field Day.

Yep, Fits Of Gloom...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Fits+Of+Gloom

Thought they were a one-hit-wonder, and then I see in the names Mauro Picotto...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Mauro+Picotto

...who also was in R.A.F.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/R.A.F.

(Think massive Sydney rave anthems, such as, "We've Got To Live Together")

...and also part of With It Guys.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/With+It+Guys

(Think another stormer, "Let The Music Take Control" with the U2 "New Years Day" sample).

A bit incestuous really.

Sorry if a little trainspotter-ish, though I bet you'd know the tracks if you heard 'em.

Don't remember the car at the venue, only the tight stairwell up to the floor of the party, and the black plastic tunnel with decorations (of which a couple of friends had done the octopus) leading to the dancefloor.

After my "running incident", I tried to re-enter the party, only to discover my stamp had rubbed off. So here's this overly-ecstatic-confused-worried-happy-dirty-sweaty-raver trying to convince the (probably equally overly-ecstatic-confused-worried-happy-dirty-sweaty-raver) doorstaff that I'd paid and already been in. After one quick look at my state, they had to a quick laugh and let me proceed. Pretty pathetic in hindsight.

Yeah, too ended up in the chillout by the morning with mates. Not sure sour warheads would have been the ticket though?! Hahah. So mashy though.

Funny how certain nights stick with you.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Gosh yes I remember buying tapes under the glass at Central Station - I still have a few - Fenix Outerspace, SpellBound, a Lance & Quang tape from Overdrive - I have Crisis 3 decks but it's a copy and an Akira tape which is a copy also. Once I figure out how to upload them I'll post them... thank god people keep these.

I would LOVE a copy of let it out 94, seeing as how I just lost mine when my car got stolen. didn't give a sh*t about the car, just the tape.

Cool, couple of the Crisis tapes have been uploaded.

Let It Out 94 has yet to be resurrected.

I have a couple of copies, just packed away 4000km away, so may not see the light until the end of the year.

Perhaps jump on the thread, post what you've got, and we'll work a way to get 'em converted.

Cheer mate, have a great weekend. And thanks for the blast of memories.

Also, check out the ol' flyer thread.

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...=133431&page=1

And not sure, but this *may* be the reverse side of the flyer??

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/att...chmentid=10440
Digital Hippie +

Times thanked
<
I remember a party; I think it was my very first time ..."Tomorrows World" @ the Dallas Brookes hall in Melbourne. I think it was 92/93....was definately a fun-filled, eye opening experience...needless to say, it was just one of the many amazingly fab rave parties I experienced.
Korsion +

Optioned

Times thanked
<

Pure, Maze, froot, Sanction, Spiritual soup

Last edited by Korsion: 14-May-06 at 04:11am

Korsion +

Optioned

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Hippie

I remember a party; I think it was my very first time ..."Tomorrows World" @ the Dallas Brookes hall in Melbourne. I think it was 92/93....was definately a fun-filled, eye opening experience...needless to say, it was just one of the many amazingly fab rave parties I experienced.

That was an awesome party, i remember it well spent most the night in the sunrise room listening to Tate and Mark hogan
anders8b +

Andaz (Phonatics)

Times thanked
<
My first rave was the first of the Summer Enchanted Forests held at the Gawler Moto Cross Track... DEFINATELY a night to remember... Everyone is so happy
Plankton +

Times thanked
<
I have never lost my Raveginity.

Im glad I never did, and I never will.

We saw candy ravers last night walking past, and we threw Ice at them. We didnt hit them, and we werent aiming to hit them.

Still it was fun
I wish I were an artist.
to live in dark corners of beautiful cities.
music to coat my ears and beat my heart.
passion, love and splatters of paint.
coffee cups, cobble stones and soft clouds of smoke.
There is so much beauty in this world.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton

We saw candy ravers last night walking past, and we threw Ice at them. We didnt hit them, and we werent aiming to hit them.

Still it was fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

N.B. To al you rave naysayers, this (Freedom2 circa 1993) was a candy-free, happy-hard-free event, as the good ol' days all were.

Did you just add your signature?

Do you not understand the rave scene was not always "candy" attire and "happy" music?

Just like the world was not always Paris Hilton and the word "like" inserted at every, like, breath?

So how can you be glad you never partied to top quality music in a non-club/pub venue?
DomJuan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Posted here earlier....
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...1&page=3&pp=50
little chris +

Times thanked
<
think mine was Hardware Universe at Kryal feb 01
klassik +

Times thanked
<
whats a rave?
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomJuan

Posted here earlier....
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...1&page=3&pp=50

Haha.. awesome as always, mate.

And look, Sugar Ray was a "raver"?!!

No, can't be. That's not what a rave is. Where's the candy, the happy hard, the cheese?

That can't be a *real* rave.

Real raves or STFU!!!

cinditude +

Registered AbUser

Times thanked
<
2000 AD
amnesia
freedom
hardware
happy valley 1 & 2
madchester (all of em)
transmition
phsycosis
prodigy
Utopia

there was more but my memory of that time is fuzzy to say the least. I remember one @ Alexandria in a big tin warehoused and they hit the brown noise, the tin walls were buckling and I dry reached and ran outside along with just about everyone in there. Someone here must remember this?

Also what was the rave at Redfern where all the cops turned up and busted lots of ravers and closed it down. I remember lots of old train carriages.

There were also a few very prominent ravers, one was this really really tall skinny guy named Jonathon, A freaky Canadian nicked named the ski instructor, a French Algerian guy who just walked around with a cowbell all night called Youseff (a close friend) and these to Iraqi guys we called the Techno Terrorists.

woot, I was the official madchester photographer, they were awsome parties.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

monome + polygome + ableton 811 + launchpad + axiom pro 49 + m-audio fast track pro + firewire 18/14 + KP3 + UC-33

Last edited by cinditude: 14-May-06 at 12:29pm

klassik +

Times thanked
<
War of the worlds, circa 97-98
Altona Sports complex, Christopher Lawrence played,
I was sweet 16, the recovery was at cage, fuck that place was an eye opener, dirty litlle techno dungeon, a few floors up in some alleyway
nice way to pop the cherry,

afterbirth looked nice, back when Nick fish was the shit!!
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinditude

Also what was the rave at Redfern where all the cops turned up and busted lots of ravers and closed it down. I remember lots of old train carriages

Carnival Of Thee Mind? Or maybe Journey Of Thee Cosmos?

Think it was one of that series??? One of them was at the train carrriage venue, I think.

I didn't go though friends went.
Mako1974 +

Times thanked
<
Afterbirth - yes that's the one!!!! I had a look through that other thread with the flyers and saw there was pre-birth, birth & afterbirth - and yes I was shocked/surprised/pleased to see Sugar Ray played at that! Especially as I practically lived at 77 through the Jus' Right and Tweekin years - Sugar Ray was a legend... ahhhh.... I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.
akashanelson +

GrooveExponents

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

Carnival Of Thee Mind?

Very, very scary party... grimmy, junkies and then party crashers lighting barrells on fire... not cool!!!
Mixes and other stuff "click here"

PureHouseMusic.net
... it's all about house music.

DJ Head +

Mmmmm, Nuts!!!!

Times thanked
<
Godskitchen 2003 was when my cherry got popped!!! very amusing nite when i lok back at it. I got a bit freeked out by the size of the crowd and had to be rescued by azzir!!!! i still try and re-enact that scene any time i go to melbourne park too!!!
There's only 2 things i can't stand.
People who are intolerate of other cultures.

And the Dutch!!! -Nigel Powers, Goldmember.
alowflyingpig +

FunKy ElEctRo

Times thanked
<
Only ever been to one rave and that was Hyperspeed at some uni.. The one after the gold series..

Not sure if I'd go to another one tho..
a.k.a Adam Brookes

If I asked you a question, what would your answer be??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

I was a *** then and I'm still a *** now :***:

trina +

Curiouser and Curiouser

Times thanked
<
Dacy-vill in sydney hmmmmmm 1994......
Good times

I'm a very nice person.....
it just takes a very nice person to bring it out in me.

Every Woman should have 4 pets in her life.
A Mink in her closet, a Jaguar in her garage, a Tiger in her bed, & a Jackass who pays for everything.
horse +

no, you're a horse!

Times thanked
<
another belfast here.
didn't really catch the big rave bug until wotw at the altona sports complex - hated the venue but damn the music was hot!
up till then it was all hard kandy and cage, so it was a nice eye opener.
most memorable:
^ tribeadelic 2002-03 new years
^ earthcore 10th aniversary with infected! INFECTED! yay!

cant wait til earthcore - got my tics, its my big once a year go nuts party now that i'm too old to do it three nights a week!
Get a horse!
Msraver +

Chasing the sun...

Times thanked
<
Unity at Metropolis Nightclub, Sydney, Jan 94.
Astride my horse I soar. He trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. He is pure air and fire; the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him. His neigh is the bidding of a monarch, and his countenance enforces homage.
jizzo_the_clown +

Groupie

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interloper

First rave was Hyperspeed (5?) in February earlier this year. It was an ok night, everything was very new to me. There was too much hardcore (im not a hardcore fan at all) and the venue was at Windsor, which is near Penrith. About a month later I got into Two Tribes - but that wasnt really a rave. The next rave that I went to was Utopia at the Dome in April. This was prbably the best night I have had in my life for quite a few reasons

Did you meet the love of your life on the dancefloor? Ah...MDMA memories.
jizzo_the_clown +

Groupie

Times thanked
<
Halycon nights - 1998/1999 NYE Melbourne

'Twas a good night.
jizzo_the_clown +

Groupie

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton

Still it was fun

They probably thought it was real 'ice' and once your back was turned, proceeded to attempt to smoke it.
Xpose +

huh?

Times thanked
<
Twice As Nice 1998 or Freestyle 1 same year can't remember which came first.

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
<
f'in ravers

(â—•.â—•u)
Bway +

My Llama has a red scarf

Times thanked
<
I think i was about 17 and i was in love with public domain. They played at an event called "Back To Basics". I think it was at homebush? First time ever on the dance scene and my first impression was.......man!...there are soo many weirdo's here! .......1 month later....i was one of them :tripping:
www.myspace.com/bway_says_what

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio_coke

You were in no state.. for all you know you couldve eaten aids and everything wouldve been fine.

keepcontrol +

Registered Boozer

Times thanked
<
1997 Collosus 2 Easter Creek Raceway. If someone has an old flyer for this please post, I will love you for it.
SpaZm +

Times thanked
<
time tunnel august 2004 at the arena in brisbane. nik fish, amber savage and bexta headlined. only hard trance rave ive ever been to, it farkin rocked. these days all the raves in brisbane are hardcore gheyyyyy
Mike187 +

Times thanked
<
my first was together new years eve in 2003 (?), loved every second. tiesto was the headliner and to this day when i hear his mix of "silence" or andains "beautiful things (gabriel and dresdan mix)" im right back there. Gotta Love It!!
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
<
Some hardware with Jeff mills at the docks.... cannae remember much else.
AS001

AS002
seascape +

OLDSKOOLDOTCOMDOTAU

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That was an awesome party and Yes i saw the Delorean as well, later this ended up in a car dealers hand in Paramatta and was sold for $20,000
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
<
My first shift bartending at Billboard was when Hard Kandy was on, it was a bit of an eye-opener doing cordial runs etc.

I had my cherry popped 04/05 NYE at Boom in Brisbane when I was :tripping:

First party I've been to where there was no alcohol being served
Kyza +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bway

I think i was about 17 and i was in love with public domain. They played at an event called "Back To Basics". I think it was at homebush? First time ever on the dance scene and my first impression was.......man!...there are soo many weirdo's here! .......1 month later....i was one of them :tripping:

That was my first as well!!!
Treat me like an angel and I'll be your lil' devil.

BlackScorpion +

Times thanked
<
Two tribes 2004. What can I say...im a late bloomer!

Had a great time, being off my pickle..
The weekend has landed.All that exists now is clubs,drugs,pubs and parties. I've got 48 hrs off the world man. Im gunna blow steam out of my head like a screaming kettle. -Jipp-Human Traffic
dbushby +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
<
Utopia at the superdome, mid 2000. Top night!
lizzyd +

Times thanked
<
hehe
so strange reading , when I have no clue where anything is ..
Greetings from Johannesburg , South Africa .

My first Rave was Origin in 1996 ( I started really really YOUNG )
and it was at the Standard Bank Arena , Joburg
Huge Athletics Stadium , 2 Main Floors , like 10 chill out rooms ..

was awesome
sEcAbOy +

Stillbuggin

Times thanked
<
my rave cherrie was poppped in either 98/99 at Mystic in seven hills. Then from there i have never turned back and i don't think i eva will
Seamus Ryan +

Resident Perve

Times thanked
<
one of the godspeeds a while back... cant remember which one or what year :S
ARMIN

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors

hardstyle does have melodies they're just really retarded

« Previous Thread Next Thread »