AlekZos +

Times thanked
<
2 quick noob questions
hey all

looking at buying my first setup, probably 2Xcdj400 and a mixer
either a djm400/xone22/some other little 2ch reasonably priced mixer
just wondering what the best mixer would be

i also have the option of getting my parents to buy me a setup for my 18th in a few weeks (2xcdj1000 and a djm800 or smthn along those lines) but would really prefer smthn else from them
as a general rule more expensive shit seems easier to use, going by what most people here have said. just wondering if i would be better of buying the cheaper stuff, learning how to use it and then maybe for christmas get some higher level stuff.

any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated !
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
get 2xcdj1000 and a djm800 then when you realise you dont like it, put them in the selling forum here
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
^^^ LOL!!!

well the xone is cheaper and has no fx except for that one filter (it's awesome tho), while the pioneer has a proper fx unit and sounds decent anyway (trust me, all the pioneer haters are still stuck in the djm300/600 days but things have changed).

it's price vs. features basically.

i vote for pioneer cos the fx are so much fun to use. once you get it i reckon you won't have to upgrade until you can use more decks or some other serious equipment gets released and you're ready to take that on.

but get the CDJ800s over 400s if you can.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlekZos

hey all

i also have the option of getting my parents to buy me a setup for my 18th in a few weeks (2xcdj1000 and a djm800 or smthn along those lines) but would really prefer smthn else from them
as a general rule more expensive shit seems easier to use, going by what most people here have said. just wondering if i would be better of buying the cheaper stuff, learning how to use it and then maybe for christmas get some higher level stuff.

1. i'd suggest going to a dj store if possible, and testing out the mixers to see what you would like and what you feel comfortable with. remember when you start that your not going to be looking for effects and all those bells and whistles, just something nice and clean that you like playing on.

2. i find that most people i know who learn't to mix on simple gear learn't alot better.
people who start off with the top of the line stuff seem to just get lost in flange and forget to learn the basics first.

on the other side of the coin, if you get good gear now, it will last you years and you wont have to upgrade for a while.

it depends on your work ethic i guess.
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<
i've got a DJM 400 and CDJ 800's...

and i actually kinda wish i'd gone for something else over the DJM 400. I mostly just bought because it has shitloads of effects, and the pioneer name. But i've realized now that both those things are pretty useless

if i were you i'd go with the xone. You quickly learn (or at least i did) that the effects are worthless and make everything sound stupid. The only effects i actually use now are the echo and filter (which the A&H) has.

I'd recommend the Xone 22 and CDJ 800's.... 400's have way too many extra bits and pieces that would just distract you from learning how to mix!
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
i disagree. effects can be extremely useful in the right context. pretty much like you drop the right track at the right time -- you can also drop fx at the right time too and people will love you for it.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
AlekZos +

Times thanked
<
thanks for all the quick replys everyone !
looks like cdj800s and a djm400 but ill go to a shop this week and have a play around
anyone know somewhere better than storedj in richmond ?
Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
<
those questions were not quick

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooshu

2. i find that most people i know who learn't to mix on simple gear learn't alot better.
people who start off with the top of the line stuff seem to just get lost in flange and forget to learn the basics first.

THIS...hard out! You don't learn to drive in a Ferrari...nuff said

400's over 800's in my opinion, more features, less space, .02% pitch increments instead of .05%, variable pitch range, efx, USB, blah blah blah...800's are shit
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

i disagree. effects can be extremely useful in the right context. pretty much like you drop the right track at the right time -- you can also drop fx at the right time too and people will love you for it.

less is way more
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

thanks for all the quick replys everyone !
looks like cdj800s and a djm400 but ill go to a shop this week and have a play around
anyone know somewhere better than storedj in richmond ?

DJ Warehouse just up the road? i wouldn't say it's better (the staff there seem a little bit unfriendly and really push to sell) but they at least have quite the showroom.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

i disagree. effects can be extremely useful in the right context..

like covering up crap mixes yea ?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
if you're going to just jump into DJing, you may as well get the more expensive stuff from your parents. you could also get more for christmas, as you mentioned. now before i say anything more, i must say damn you are a lucky bastard and please put a good word for me to your parents and santa and have them buy me some shit too.

but for real, get the more upper range equipment. there is a reason its priced high.
if you wanted to buy a tv, you could get a genuine Panaphonic for $300 or you could get the Panasonic for 5 x the price. the more expensive equipment just adds to features, doesn't make it become more harder to use, and you'll find the more expensive equipment is what you would use in the clubs. so get familiar

ps. dont forget
AlekZos +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

ps. dont forget

ill put in a good word
AlekZos +

Times thanked
<
stupid question, but provided i learn all the functions and everything on the high end equipment, will there be much difficulty using lower end stuff if i needed to, esp if it was within the same brand eg 1000mk3 down to a cdj200
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

like covering up crap mixes yea ?

well.. if women can wear make up, DJs can use effects.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

stupid question, but provided i learn all the functions and everything on the high end equipment, will there be much difficulty using lower end stuff if i needed to, esp if it was within the same brand eg 1000mk3 down to a cdj200

i wouldn't imagine so. going from a 1000 to 200 wouldn't be much different besides the platter (what girls and noobs call "the scratcha! - aww can i have a go on da scratcCHAH!") might be slightly different, but nothing you couldnt adjust to. if you want to learn fx's, use the mixers fx's instead of the cdjs, that way, you wont miss anything.
i just use the cdjs for playing the tracks. the mixer for that fancy crap.

ps. thanks man
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

as long as your mixing is based on acutal mixing, and not based on effects, you wont have a problem.

a way i practice for these situations is to write down all the features of my cd + mixer, and then choose some not to use in the mix, (ie. no eq on left channel no effects on the right channel, don't use the cue button on cdj etc etc) the better you get, use less features, untill your mixing with no headphones, no eq's etc. if you can make it sound good like that, then what you can do with all the features will be alot better.
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

well.. if women can wear make up, DJs can use effects.

EPIC QUOTE
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Mixing with no headphones...QUE???

I still think you should go for the lower end stuff (not even like CDJ 400's and a DJM400/Xone 22 are even all that "low end", but I digress) until you know this is something you want to stick for the long haul...then get a 4 channel mixer + two CDJ 1000's and you've got yourself a primo 4 deck setup.

And I personally think if you learn on crap equipment, you can play on ANY equipment...vice versa, not so much.

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

I still think you should go for the lower end stuff (not even like CDJ 400's and a DJM400/Xone 22 are even all that "low end", but I digress) until you know this is something you want to stick for the long haul...then get a 4 channel mixer + two CDJ 1000's and you've got yourself a primo 4 deck setup.

And I personally think if you learn on crap equipment, you can play on ANY equipment...vice versa, not so much.

if you know the function of ell the features on your equipment, it should carry on throughout most brands and models. i think not being able to dj on cheaper equipment because you learnt on expensive isn't really an excuse. it just takes time to adjust and adapt to certain
models. but each to their own of course
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

this is only for mixing at home and practicing.

when i mix at home i use auto-cue on the CDJ, and then drop the track and beatmatch whilst mixing.

i obviously wouldn't do this playing out or at a party, but it is a goodway to practice speeding up your beatmatching,

Quote:

agreed. i also think if your planning on playing out, its important to learn how to use faulty/ damaged equipment.

i played my first gig with a cdj1000, and everytime you pressed the cue button, it would skip to a different track, if that wasn't annoying enough, my right heaphone also died.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

a way i practice for these situations is to write down all the features of my cd + mixer, and then choose some not to use in the mix, (ie. no eq on left channel no effects on the right channel, don't use the cue button on cdj etc etc) the better you get, use less features, untill your mixing with no headphones, no eq's etc. if you can make it sound good like that, then what you can do with all the features will be alot better.

you practice djing with a pen and paper?

seriously though, you appear to be heading down the funkedub path of thinking too much about nothing in particular
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

you practice djing with a pen and paper?

seriously though, you appear to be heading down the funkedub path of thinking too much about nothing in particular

i dont actually write them down, i normally just think, ok today i wont use blah blah blah.

i probably do think too much, but i sit at a desk 9-5 and basically think about music. can't help it!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

agreed. i also think if your planning on playing out, its important to learn how to use faulty/ damaged equipment.

i played my first gig with a cdj1000, and everytime you pressed the cue button, it would skip to a different track, if that wasn't annoying enough, my right heaphone also died.

YEP...with you there...that's why I think learning on low end is good, as adjusting up to primo condition top of the line stuff is easy...but when ya get a gig playing on a CMX 3000 and some pusy crap mixer, it can freak people out.

Bloody CDJ 1000 I played on on the weekend kept locking the pitch to Zero if you had the Master Tempo on...which was a pain in the ass as I was playing a really wide BPM range, so wanted some things locked in key, but couldn't...that and it took me a mix constantly chasing to even realise it was locked at zero!

v904 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

1. i'd suggest going to a dj store if possible.

Quote:

DJ Warehouse just up the road? i wouldn't say it's better (the staff there seem a little bit unfriendly and really push to sell) but they at least have quite the showroom.

Honestly, this is why I cant' shop for gear anymore (that and lack of funds). I have dealt with multiple places for a range of stuff, and the commercial aspect ALWAYS overrides everything. They give you bad information to get the sale, push you to make the sale, anything to make the sale.

My personal recommendation is not go to shops if you want to talk to someone about it. I dont know where else you'll go, but I'd really say dont go to shops actually
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<
yeah the cdj got me pretty bad, i ended up mixing tune A with what i thought was tune B, and it took me untill just after it dropped to realise i had just mixed the same song back into its self!!

annoying, but i looked up and saw no one even noticed, so it was all good in the end

Quote:

Originally Posted by v904

My personal recommendation is not go to shops if you want to talk to someone about it. I dont know where else you'll go, but I'd really say dont go to shops actually

yeah i dont talk to them at all, i just use the gear and leave.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

that's not the funkedub path ... the funkedub path is more about exchanging ideas and thoughts beyond "omg which CDJ" and "lol, yea"

spending too much time on nothing in particular is here
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by v904

Honestly, this is why I cant' shop for gear anymore (that and lack of funds). I have dealt with multiple places for a range of stuff, and the commercial aspect ALWAYS overrides everything. They give you bad information to get the sale, push you to make the sale, anything to make the sale.

hehe, it's a bit like that sometimes hey. in that respect, at least here in melbourne i find store DJ > DJ warehouse. it has better people, not better salesmen.

sorry i know the DJ warehouse guys visit and read this forum, but just telling it like it is from experience.

edit: btw zooshu, i reckon you should try and get used to dropping tunes on the fly at clubs too. you said you do it at home, but the more you do it in clubs the more confidence you get and basically, it's as if you just upgraded your skills. kind of like earning that trophy on a ps3 or getting more G's on the xbox. the better, the better.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐

Last edited by Spicy: 21-Sep-09 at 02:21pm

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
If you're parents are buying
2 x CDJ2000's
1 x A&H Xone:V6

Take 'em to the cleaners

Seriously though, something without effects and without a BPM counter will teach you how to really mix the best.
Every noob i hear with Pioneer XXX before they even try to think about what tracks they are going to mix, give a second to thinking about beat matching, bang they wail away on the FX........
Flange or Die

Seriously best thing i ever did was learn to mix on turntables and a cheap little 2 channel mixer:
1) No BPM counter
2) No key lock....learnt not to over/under pitch tracks and actually think about how tracks work together
3) No FX

In saying that though....Mumsy wasn't paying for the gear either....otherwise I would have probably got CDJs too

Last edited by Garthyboy: 21-Sep-09 at 05:03pm

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hehe, it's a bit like that sometimes hey. in that respect, at least here in melbourne i find store DJ > DJ warehouse. it has better people, not better salesmen.

sorry i know the DJ warehouse guys visit and read this forum, but just telling it like it is from experience.

edit: btw zooshu, i reckon you should try and get used to dropping tunes on the fly at clubs too. you said you do it at home, but the more you do it in clubs the more confidence you get and basically, it's as if you just upgraded your skills. kind of like earning that trophy on a ps3 or getting more G's on the xbox. the better, the better.

i agree with the club thing. i had an idea about how i would dj, from producing i knew all about timing and what not, then had a friend show me how to speed up/down tracks and jumped into the clubs shortly after that. nerves are definantly a big part of some really good djs staying as bedroom djs. if you can crack it at home, then why not the club!
Zooshu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

Seriously best thing i ever did was learn to mix on turntables and a cheap little 2 channel mixer:
1) No BPM counter
2) No key lock....learnt not to over/under pitch tracks and actually think about how tracks work together
3) No FX

In saying that though....Mumsy wasn't paying for the gear either....otherwise I would have probably got CDJs too

+1

i started with 1200's and a behringer 2chan peice of shit. bought cdj's a year later,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

i agree with the club thing. i had an idea about how i would dj, from producing i knew all about timing and what not, then had a friend show me how to speed up/down tracks and jumped into the clubs shortly after that. nerves are definantly a big part of some really good djs staying as bedroom djs. if you can crack it at home, then why not the club!

its something i have done out before, but it wasn't planned. misjudged how much time i had left with the last song.

i can't really see the point in not beatmatching if you have the oppurtunity?
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
I wouldn't recommend starting on shite CDJs. I started with vinyl and a semi-decent mixer. but low end cdjs to me are just that. I even think the 800s are pretty average, let alone the 400s.

I'd get the 1000s if you can because if you're taking this DJ thing seriously then within the year ur gonna want them - and you've then flushed over a g down the drain. I say all this even if you never intend to play in a club.

I started with low end stanton turntables, STR8-80s, and within 12 months had upgraded to the str8-150s. However, I was a poor 16 year old at the time. If I had the dosh or other means somehow i.e. birthday present, I would've gone the 150s cos I knew I loved DJing and wasn't just about to get over it. So if you're starting on CDJs, I'd recommend getting the best (note. not the 2000s).
AlekZos +

Times thanked
<
yeh not goin to get the 2000s or anything like that dont have THAT much to spend will try to get everything from buying and selling on here. probably will try to get the 1000mk3s
what would be the best mixer thats not going to cost an absolute fortune. any brand is fine

again thanks a million for all the responses
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
With the mixer, it's really down to your personal choice. I personally prefer the Numark, mostly for the full freq kills and decent effects.. The X6 is a decent 2ch mixer, ata relatively cheap price. Something about the Pioneer ones just doesn't do it for me.

As for your CDJ's, the 1000's would be fantastic, if you have the means of getting them. I also really dig the 400's tbh, they're a damn good CDJ. I think a lot of people are a bit afraid of the smaller platter, but it's really an awesome unit. Would advise to steer clear of the 800's, they just don't really seem to be put together too well. Whenever I've played on them, they've just had this really cheap 'plastic-ey' feel to them hehe

In any case, it's all down to personal choice. Best bet would be to go to a store and get a feel for the different bits of kit. Check out youtube reviews, and read up on each unit. That should help ya!
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hey all

My suggestions would be to think about the reasons of why you want to get into this.
Do you love music? Do you love mixing and messing around with sounds? Do you want to look cool?

Nobody says you can't fall in love with it once you start...they'll always be a starting point...Is just that I have seen so many people selling stuff with the excuse "not enough time"...if you love that stuff you'll always find the time...

Seems money is not an issue for you, so wether you start with a couple of little Pio or the big boys Pio, it does not matter...for most of us, we all start with less expensive working or way up to the industry standard, took about 5 years to get there and I still miss a couple of thing...really the most important is that you practise and you love what your doing...if is just to look cool...you might as well go buy some funky clothes and a pair of nice shades.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
AlekZos +

Times thanked
<
thanks for the responses all, will try out some gear this week
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
vestax are solid mixers, esp for beginners I rkn.
chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<
Firstly, I haven't read all the thread, so I could be saying something that has already been said.

Quote:

but get the CDJ800s over 400s if you can.

Apart from the 800's being very similar to the 1000's and getting to know them for when you're playing in a club, why? 400's do the same shit an 800 does, with more features.

Quote:

400's over 800's in my opinion, more features, less space, .02% pitch increments instead of .05%, variable pitch range, efx, USB, blah blah blah...800's are shit

400's have the exact same pitch range as the 1000's, and same resolution.
toilet trained +

Mr thunderbox

Times thanked
<
get some denons, then spend the leftover cash on some actual tunes to play
hang on a minute, im on the potty doing poo

http://soundcloud.com/moth-hunter
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
chimby - because the platter on the 400s is a shit piece of fuck. wouldn't bother, useless. plus the 800's vinyl mode combined with their platter makes easy cueing imo. other than that i respect the 400's ability to read USB sticks. but that's about the only feature i like about those decks. personal choice i guess but i wouldn't recommend 400s.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^^^ 400's have vinyl mode, too. Yes, the platter is on the small side, but play around for a while and you get used to it quickly enough...probably not the best for scratching though

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby

400's have the exact same pitch range as the 1000's, and same resolution.

Yep, which is why I'd get them over 800's, considering they're about the same price, it has oodles more features and the .02% pitch increments and +/-6% pitch range instead options of .05% increments and a +/-10 range = winner in my books, far more accurate

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
yeh gotta admit i really like the loop feature on 400s where you can adjust loop size with the + and - buttons there.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Yah...they're good little units, and considering the similarity in the price, not to mention the "plasticy" feel they both have compared to the 1000's, it's really 6 or one, 1/2 dozen the other...just depends on if you want a bigger unit with a big platter or the 400 if space is an issue.

As said, I think they're better purely because of the more accurate/changeable pitch increments/range...sometimes .05% just doesn't seem accurate enough +1.15% is too fast while +1.10 is too slow

ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
<

Quote:

chimby - because the platter on the 400s is a shit piece of fuck. wouldn't bother, useless. plus the 800's vinyl mode combined with their platter makes easy cueing imo. other than that i respect the 400's ability to read USB sticks. but that's about the only feature i like about those decks. personal choice i guess but i wouldn't recommend 400s.

Agreed. The platter gives soo much noise when rotated, and the loose feeling of the platter I dont really like.

But other than that awesome piece of unit, 8/10. If only it had the loop cutter just like the 800 did, and gosh more cue/loop point!! more!!.
chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I have the 400's and find the platter is fine, but I've hardly used a 800/1000 so I can't compare.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
<
going from the platter of a 1000 to a 400 is painful and depressing
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
a platter is a platter... how much are you actually using it anyway? i find your argument pointless and annoying - if you want to be a scratch dj, buy some tt's. otherwise, there is no way that using a platter should be causing you so many issues for what is BASIC cdj mixing..
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee

a platter is a platter... how much are you actually using it anyway?

Um...well you're moving the platter quite often when you're adjusting a song in the mix. And I'm pretty sure you use it to beat match as well...

I mix on 800's, and I've used 1000's. And when I used the CDJ 200's I found the platter to be quite loose which made it annoying to mix.

Just my 2 cents.
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
erm.. i use the platter quite a bit because i find it a great tool to beatmatch really quickly.. ..say under 5 seconds.... i have used the 400's, the 800's and the 1000's...

based on pure feel alone, i prefer the 1000's simply because the platter is bigger and is easier to manipulate...

the 800 mk2 has more features than the 1000's (mk3) but i have never really found myself using going beyond the looping and the occasional cue points etc on the 1000's...not a big fan of hotlooping

with the 400's i find the unit to be really small but quite nifty..took me a little while to get used to cos the damn thing was soo damn sensitive... but after a while i got the hang of it..
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »