The DJ Booth

a guide for Anything you need to know about mixers, CDJs and TTs

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
a guide for Anything you need to know about mixers, CDJs and TTs
Righto guys i need some helpl, basically i want to make a thread about mixers, im gonna start one about CDJ's and TT's too

so what i want is for people to write a little review of their mixer and hopefully we can make up a guide to the mixers on the market, and hopefull should slow the " i wanna buy a mixer which one should i get" threads

So i thought up a little guide line as to how to do this

if you have anything to add to a previously listed review let me know and i will add you thoughts

Brand:
Model:
Link to supplier page:
Price:
Purchased From/date:
Pros:
Cons:
Rating out of 10:
User review quick comment:
Review By:

Hopefully someone can make this a sticky and ill keep updating this first post as they come in

As for my review
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Brand: Behringer
Model: DDM4000
Link to supplier page:Here
Price: $569ish
Purchased From/Date: DJWarehouse/ April 2009
Pros: Cheap 4 Chan Mixer, Midi Capabilities, Adjustable Peramiters on almost everything, Full 32 bit Digital mixer, Comprehensive FX section, built in sampler
Cons: Behringer, poor sound quality, poor headphone jack placement, fx are pre-fader.
Rating out of 10: i wont give this a rating, see below comment
User review quick comment: i wont give this mixer a rating as it is the first and only mixer i have ever used, personally i believe its not a bad mixer but have nothing to compare it with.
Review by: DJBT

People that like this Mixer:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Brand: Ecler
Model: Nuo 4
Link to supplier page:
Price: approx $800 new
Purchased From/date: Store DJ / august 08
Pros: Simple fuss free layout. Good sound quality, full kill eqs, long smooth faders, large eq knobs, external efx send/return, great cueing system, master & pfl levels next to each other, adjustable x fader, midi cabability (havent used this yet)
Cons: efx control via send return NOT simple to use however can make for interesting mixes, parts supply not readily available locally, faders tend to cut in top 15%
Rating out of 10: 8/10
User review quick comment: as a simple mixer i find this hard to beat, compared to DJM800 & xone 92 (check out the ecler Evo 4 too) i find the Nuo 4 sounds better and is much more fun to mix on. the eqs & faders are great. only mixers around this price i'd compare to are the Urei or Vestax.

Review By: dave stuart

Model: Evo 5
Link to supplier page: http://www.eclerdjdivision.com/produ...11&id=30&lang=
Price paid : US $ 1499 (including shipping)
Purchased From/date: Ecler dj Division, Spain 02.2008
Pros: Great Design. Oversized pots. Built in firewire soundcard. Built in effects with ability to add and create new effects. Customisable fader curves. Full Midi compatibility. Everything is software driven and can be customised and changed according to one's needs. Compatible with Traktor, SL and most other digital DJ systems. Great faders (not suitable for scratching) . Solid Build Quality. Very warm sound which is unlike any other digital mixer that i have heard. Beats most mixers in terms of sound quality(analog rotaries are in a different league)
Cons: Lack of digital inputs (no digital coax connections which is weird for a fully digital mixer). Because it is a digital mixer, chances are that if something fails, one has to restart -- have not seen it yet but have considered it to be a possibility.
Rating out of 10: 9/10
User review quick comment: This is one of the best mixers that i have used. It's expensive but it also feels expensive (unlike most other mixers like the Korgs, Pioneers etc)
Review By: SubbyBoy

Brand: Korg
Model: Zero 4
Link to supplier page: www.korg.com/zero4
Price: $999.00 (from storedj)
Purchased From/date: Store Dj, June 2008
Pros: Built-In soundcard, traktor certified, MIDI, customisable(sp?) fader curves, effects
Cons: For some, sound quality is an issue as some models have a "buzz" that may come through, pots are pretty cramped together (I have fat fingers), pots are sensitive imo so cutting bass out you would only have to bring it down to about 9/10 o'clock.
Rating out of 10: 9
User review quick comment: This mixer has awesome capabilities, its up to the user to find what exactly they want to do with it. Personally I went for it because of the Traktor certified bit of it. I'm sure someone who has more experience using this with ableton and what not could add to this.

Review By: dudu

Brand: Numark
Model: Matrix 3
Price: $200+ 2nd Hand (apparently $1000 new ... lol)
Purchased From/date: Cashies! errr ... Jan 08 perhaps?
Pros: uncluttered open interface, adjustable X-fader, FX processing loop, 2 way 40db kills, main, booth (both adjustable) and record outputs, PFL LEDs on each channel.
Cons: no whistles and bells ...
Rating out of 10: 8.5
User review quick comment: I picked this up from Cashies after often using one at a friend's place. Solid, reliable, everything you need in a mixer apart from FX and MIDI functions. I really can't fault this thing. I rate it 8.5 as the sound quality could be better and it doesn't have FX or other digital features. I'd rate this as a serious contender to Vestax PMC mixers, especially considering you'll get it for a whole lot cheaper.
Review By: Funkedub

Brand: Stanton
Model: m.304
Link to supplier page: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_m304.asp
Price: Paid about $50 for it
Purchased From/date: Ebay.com.au August 2008
Pros: Penny-Giles cross-fader & FX Loop, pots arnt to bad on it, kill switches are fun, great cheap starting mixer, sound wasn't to bad on it but it wasn't great.
Cons: faders fell off after about 2 weeks of mucking around, felt abit cheap (everything feels plasticy)
Rating out of 10: 6
User review quick comment: This was a mixer i bought as I saw it was only going for $50 and no one else bought it. I had fun times with it to say the least but like i said, it started to fall apart pretty quickly. The cross-fader on it is pretty darn awesome for the price.

Brand: UREI
Model: 1605
Link to supplier page: Here
Price:
Purchased From/date:
Pros: sound and build quality, no effects
Cons: I would prefer AUX send/ return to be on rear panel. EQ zero point is at 2 o'clock
User review quick comment: Awesome awesome mixer, nice big EQ knobs, awesome sound quality that has everything you need and nothing you don't.
Review By: Lloyd C

Brand: Vestax
Model: VMC - 002xlu
Link to supplier page: http://www.vestax.com/v/products/mixers/vmc-002xlu.html
Price: ~ 250 ( Better if you can dig )
Purchased From/date: DJ Warehouse/ April this year
Pros: Nice little build to the mixer. Nothing too complex, great for Beginners learning the basics.It's an ideal choice for most non-club situations. It's compact size won't take up too much space, and it has all the necessary features for most dj's (and digital DJs now with the USB port).
Cons: Only a 2 channel mixer. No effects or anything really advanced. EQ knobs are a little small, which might not suit some people.
Rating out of 10: 6.5 ( Though I cannot compare, tis my first mixer. )
User review quick comment: Nice little solid mixer. Great for the starting Deejays! Nothing too flash or fancy but for the price -- all you need!
Review By: HDB

Model: PMC-50A
Link to supplier page: No longer Valid www.vestax.com
Price: New at release was about $1500 (mid '90s), I got it second hand for ~$250.
Purchased From/date: S/H in mid 2008
Pros: Four channels, smooth sounding and feeling (ALPS pots) EQs, long smooth faders with good resistance, effects send, master instert, millions of ins and outs, can change the faders for rotaries (which I'm about to do).
Cons: EQs are only +/-16dB which isn't to everyone's taste - not suited to the 'drop the bass out' type mixing, effects send is on a switch and master send and return pots, rather than individual channels - it is also a pre fader send, no cue mix.

User review quick comment: I'm quite a fan of the mixer - I really enjoy the sound... it has a looser bottom than an A&H and a smoother top than either an A&H or Pioneer. Additionally, of course, the price was too hard to refuse and the option to change to rotaries for about $200 is pretty good, too.
Review By: ferretrock

Last edited by DJBT: 30-Sep-09 at 02:36pm

DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
a guide for Anything you need to know about CDJ's and TT's
Ill keep this post for All CDJ's and TT's and midi controllers if anyone wants to write something up about them too

if you have anything to add to a previously listed review let me know and i will add you thoughts

Brand:
Model:
Link to supplier page:
Price:
Purchased From/date:
Pros:
Cons:
Rating out of 10:
User review quick comment:
Review By:

As for my Review

Brand: Pioneer
Model: CDJ400
Link to supplier: Here
Price:$1000 ish
Purchased From/date: JB Hi Fi/ April 2009
Pros: Midi Capability, 0.02% pitch adjustment, Digital out, ID3 support, MP3 support, USB support,
Cons: Small Platter, price
Rating out of 10: N/A
User review quick comment: im also not going to rate this as i have not had any experience with anything else, i have had a small issue with one of mine, as it wont read any sort of CD as soon as the unit is powered up, i haven't heard of anything else like it though so it might be an isolated case
Review By: DJBT
_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Brand: Technics
Model: SL1200 MKII
Link to supplier page: Panasonic site
Price: $1000 +/-
Purchased From/date: bought mine 2nd hand in 2001 for $1000 in average condition
Pros: Quartz pitch lock, aluminium die cast cabinet, direct drive motor, low acoustic feedback
Cons: 0% pitch lock aka 'the click'
Rating out of 10: 20
User review quick comment: The SL1200 MKII turntables have been the industry standard for almost 30 years, and were produced using the same blueprints since 1978. Their extremely sturdy chassis and platter, and well adjusted torque with a strong motor have made them a turntablist's dream, quickly gaining a legendary status in the DJ community, and are regarded as the greatest turntables in music history.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_1200

Last edited by DJBT: 30-Sep-09 at 02:35pm

Lloyd C +

Times thanked
< 0
Brand: UREI
Model: 1605
Link to supplier page: http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1389
Price:
Purchased From/date:

Pros: sound and build quality, no effects

Cons: I would prefer AUX send/ return to be on rear panel. EQ zero point is at 2 o'clock

User review quick comment: Awesome awesome mixer, nice big EQ knobs, awesome sound quality that has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Review By: Lloyd C

Last edited by Lloyd C: 30-Sep-09 at 11:54am

dudu +

Times thanked
< 4
Brand: Korg

Model: Zero 4

Link to supplier page: www.korg.com/zero4

Price: $999.00 (from storedj)

Purchased From/date: Store Dj, June 2008

Pros: Built-In soundcard, traktor certified, MIDI, customisable(sp?) fader curves, effects

Cons: For some, sound quality is an issue as some models have a "buzz" that may come through, pots are pretty cramped together (I have fat fingers), pots are sensitive imo so cutting bass out you would only have to bring it down to about 9/10 o'clock.

User review quick comment: This mixer has awesome capabilities, its up to the user to find what exactly they want to do with it. Personally I went for it because of the Traktor certified bit of it. I'm sure someone who has more experience using this with ableton and what not could add to this.

The drum solo of life!
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209
Dear DJBT

my mixer does everything that any mixer has ever done in a review except midi

It comes in 2 shades of grey

Love

macc4
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
Model: PMC-50A
Link to supplier page: No longer Valid/out of production www.vestax.com
Price: New at release was about $1500 (mid '90s), I got it second hand for ~$250.
Purchased From/date: S/H in mid 2008
Pros: Four channels, smooth sounding and feeling (ALPS pots) EQs, long smooth faders with good resistance, effects send, master instert, millions of ins and outs, can change the faders for rotaries (which I'm about to do) or user-replace faders or crossfader easily, fully adjustable crossfader curve, metal pots and faceplate.
Cons: EQs are only +/-16dB which isn't to everyone's taste - not suited to the 'drop the bass out' type mixing, effects send is on a switch and master send and return pots, rather than individual channels - it is also a pre fader send, no cue mix, pots are a tad cramped.

User review quick comment: I'm quite a fan of the mixer - I really enjoy the sound... it has a looser bottom than an A&H and a smoother top than either an A&H or Pioneer. The faders are also more suited to long mixes than the A&H. Additionally, of course, the price was too hard to refuse and the option to change to rotaries for about $200 is pretty good, too.
Review By: errrr... me?

^ O rly macc4? You can change yours to rotaries can you?

Last edited by ferretrock: 30-Sep-09 at 12:25pm

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 993
Model: Nuo 4
Link to supplier page:
Price: approx $800 new
Purchased From/date: Store DJ / august 08

Pros: Simple fuss free layout. Good sound quality, full kill eqs, long smooth faders, large eq knobs, external efx send/return, great cueing system, master & pfl levels next to each other, adjustable x fader, midi cabability (havent used this yet)

Cons: efx control via send return NOT simple to use however can make for interesting mixes, parts supply not readily available locally, faders tend to cut in top 15%

User review quick comment: as a simple mixer i find this hard to beat, compared to DJM800 & xone 92 (check out the ecler Evo 4 too) i find the Nuo 4 sounds better and is much more fun to mix on. the eqs & faders are great. only mixers around this price i'd compare to are the Urei or Vestax.

Review By: dave stuart
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
dudu +

Times thanked
< 4

Model: m.304

Link to supplier page: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_m304.asp

Price: Paid about $50 for it

Purchased From/date: Ebay.com.au August 2008

Pros: Penny-Giles cross-fader & FX Loop, pots arnt to bad on it, kill switches are fun, great cheap starting mixer, sound wasn't to bad on it but it wasn't great.

Cons: faders fell off after about 2 weeks of mucking around, felt abit cheap (everything feels plasticy)

Rating out of 10: 6

User review quick comment: This was a mixer i bought as I saw it was only going for $50 and no one else bought it. I had fun times with it to say the least but like i said, it started to fall apart pretty quickly. The cross-fader on it is pretty darn awesome for the price.

The drum solo of life!
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 993
stantion M304

worst mixer i've ever played on, horrid cueing, horrid eqs, horrid faders

even prefer my old behinger dxm300 over it
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
dudu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

stantion M304

worst mixer i've ever played on, horrid cueing, horrid eqs, horrid faders

even prefer my old behinger dxm300 over it

for the price you can pick it up, it cant be faulted man
The drum solo of life!
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

^ O rly macc4? You can change yours to rotaries can you?

you can press the fader curve button and use the rotary dials on the front panel
Hdb2 +

Sup.

Times thanked
< 2,405
Model: VMC - 002xlu
Link to supplier page: http://www.vestax.com/v/products/mixers/vmc-002xlu.html
Price: ~ 250 ( Better if you can dig )
Purchased From/date: DJ Warehouse/ April this year
Pros: Nice little build to the mixer. Nothing too complex, great for Beginners learning the basics.It's an ideal choice for most non-club situations. It's compact size won't take up too much space, and it has all the necessary features for most dj's (and digital DJs now with the USB port).
Cons: Only a 2 channel mixer. No effects or anything really advanced. EQ knobs are a little small, which might not suit some people.
Rating out of 10: 6.5 ( Though I cannot compare, tis my first mixer. )
User review quick comment: Nice little solid mixer. Great for the starting Deejays! Nothing too flash or fancy but for the price -- all you need!
Review By: HDB2

PICS :
Spoiler:

EDIT: I think we should all include a picture, possibly in spoiler tags? , just to make it easier to see what your talking about...Just an idea ?

Last edited by Hdb2: 30-Sep-09 at 12:37pm

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
Spoiler:

Brand: Technics
Model: SL1200 MKII
Link to supplier page: Panasonic site
Price: $1000 +/-
Purchased From/date: bought mine 2nd hand in 2001 for $1000 in average condition
Pros: Quartz pitch lock, aluminium die cast cabinet, direct drive motor, low acoustic feedback
Cons: 0% pitch lock aka 'the click'
User review quick comment: The SL1200 MKII turntables have been the industry standard for almost 30 years, and were produced using the same blueprints since 1978. Their extremely sturdy chassis and platter, and well adjusted torque with a strong motor have made them a turntablist's dream, quickly gaining a legendary status in the DJ community, and are regarded as the greatest turntables in music history.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_1200
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,466

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

qft

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946
Model: Matrix 3
Price: $200+ 2nd Hand (apparently $1000 new ... lol)
Purchased From/date: Cashies! errr ... Jan 08 perhaps?
Pros: uncluttered open interface, adjustable X-fader, FX processing loop, 2 way 40db kills, main, booth (both adjustable) and record outputs, PFL LEDs on each channel.
Cons: no whistles and bells ...
User review quick comment: I picked this up from Cashies after often using one at a friend's place. Solid, reliable, everything you need in a mixer apart from FX and MIDI functions. I really can't fault this thing. I rate it 8.5 as the sound quality could be better and it doesn't have FX or other digital features. I'd rate this as a serious contender to Vestax PMC mixers, especially considering you'll get it for a whole lot cheaper.
Review By: Funkedub

looks like ...

Spoiler:
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9

Model: Evo 5

Link to supplier page: http://www.eclerdjdivision.com/produ...11&id=30&lang=

Price paid : US $ 1499 (including shipping)

Purchased From/date: Ecler dj Division, Spain 02.2008

Pros: Great Design. Oversized pots. Built in firewire soundcard. Built in effects with ability to add and create new effects. Customisable fader curves. Full Midi compatibility. Everything is software driven and can be customised and changed according to one's needs. Compatible with Traktor, SL and most other digital DJ systems. Great faders (not suitable for scratching) . Solid Build Quality. Very warm sound which is unlike any other digital mixer that i have heard. Beats most mixers in terms of sound quality(analog rotaries are in a different league)

Cons: Lack of digital inputs (no digital coax connections which is weird for a fully digital mixer). Because it is a digital mixer, chances are that if something fails, one has to restart -- have not seen it yet but have considered it to be a possibility.

Rating out of 10: 9/10

User review quick comment: This is one of the best mixers that i have used. It's expensive but it also feels expensive (unlike most other mixers like the Korgs, Pioneers etc)

spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

you can press the fader curve button and use the rotary dials on the front panel

those little knobs are not what I would call 'rotaries'.
DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
wow, this thread has started well, im surprised no pioneer mixers have beeen done yet but anyway.

Thinking of adding another line to each review, like a 'like feature' so say i like the Ecler Evo 5, just let me know and ill add your name to the Like this mixer List. what do people think of that???
DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
i would also really like someone to do a quick review on the Korg KM402. Please
dudu +

Times thanked
< 4
SubbyBoy - I was waiting for the evo review to come through, thanks
The drum solo of life!
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9
dude , you are welcome... my pleasure.

Model: SMX 401

Link to supplier page: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/discon_smx401.asp

Price: paid 299 pounds

Purchased From/date: West end Dj 2003

Pros: Excellent Kill switches. EQ has full kill. Very full sound/has a decent amount of headroom. Quite fun to mix with. Very basic but covers the basics quite well. Penny and Giles faders. 3 channel with a great built in pre amp. FX send/return is highly controllable -- leads to some pretty interesting results. Great Cueing. Build quality is genuinely good.

Cons: For people that like Split cueing, there is no option. There is a fader curve issue (x)with the crossfader which can be solved by a simple mod. Fader caps are not the best

Rating out of 10: 7/10

User review quick comment: Great mixer for beginners.

Last edited by SubbyBoy: 01-Oct-09 at 06:01pm

SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9
Brand: Allen and Heath

Model: v6

Link to supplier page: http://www.allen-heath.com/US/Displa...t.asp?pview=38

Price: OBSCENE

Purchased From/date: West End Dj , 2003

Pros: LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Valves. Rotary Design. Oodles of headroom. BIG Sound. The two band EQ is very smooth. There is even a Master EQ. Perfect for house and prog -- those long mixes becomes really nice and solid. Best mixer i have ever heard in my life. If you have a great install, this makes things better. More suited for a club install.

Cons: Not a traditional mixer, so no crossfaders etc. Might not appeal to everyone.

Rating out of 10: 10/10

User review quick comment: Probably one of the best mixers that money can buy really. Love It. Love it. Love it.

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
^You have V6? Seriously?

Also, can I update my review?

PMC-50A with Rotaries

Man... I love the long smooth mixing that's possible on these things... much more my flavour than upfaders. That said, I think I'd prefer a little more tension on the pot itself, like the Empath Rotary. Either way, it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by ferretrock: 01-Oct-09 at 06:22pm

SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
< 9
don't have it... had the pleasure of babysitting it for a friend once...had it for almost 4 months.... best mixer ever!

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
^Fuck. That would be pretty nice.
Though, to be honest I think it's a ridiculously priced piece of machinery and I prefer the sound of a couple of other mixers, personally.
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
< 20
Brand: Behringer
Model: VMX 100
Link to supplier page: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/VMX100.aspx
Price: $100 new
Purchased From/date: end of 2006
Pros: Lightweight, Cheap, non-bullshit, PERFECT for practising on when you start out. No bells and whistles, + piece of shit bpm counter makes you good at beatmatching. Good for when you don't want to take your pioneer / ecler / vestax etc. to a house party.
2-Channel DJ Mixer with Beat Counter
2 dual-input stereo channels
1 ULN microphone input
Gain and 2-band kill EQ (-32 dB) per channel
Intelligent dual auto BPM counter with time and beat sync display
Super-smooth ULTRAGLIDE faders with up to 500,000 life cycles
Switchable crossfader curve control
Extremely precise assignable level meter with peak hold function
Master and tape outputs
Cons: no xlr output bpm counter doesn't work, sounds like 1000 babies crying out in horrendous pain on anything more than a 400w system. Unless your doing houseparties full of audiophiles, this is a perfect mobile mixer.
Rating out of 10: 6/10
User review quick comment: Have had mine for 3 years and it's rock solid, i don't have a case for it when i take it to houseparty's and it has served me well. A great investment.
Review By: underhousearrest

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
id love to update the first post but for some reason i seam to have lost my edit feature :S
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
< 28
PM me the changes and I can update it for you dude.
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Brand:Stanton
Model:ST.150
Link to supplier page: www.google.com
Price: Usually found on the second hand market at similar or cheaper prices to technics ($1000 or less-ish)
Purchased From/date: 1.5 Years ago
Pros: Awesome torque for scratching, can be plugged into both digital and phono inputs of a mixer, has an adjustable speed setting (can mix jungle with dnb etc), feels solid
Cons:Not as much street cred as technics,
User review quick comment: Buy right, buy once. I'v had countless cigarettes, bongs, beers, whateva spilt on or around these turntables and they still havn't missed a beat. Absolutely bulletproof
Review By: your mum

Model: DXM06
Link to supplier page: same as above
Price: less than $200 2nd hand
Purchased From/date: 1 year ago
Pros: Awesome effects, good output display, adjustable crossfader curve, easy to use layout
Cons: Cheap feeling plastics everywhere, EQ's and channels are not the best.
Rating out of 10:6
User review quick comment:For a first mixer, this is great. To get a significantly better two channel you will probably have to spend double the price
Review By:
same as above
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

DJBodie +

muthafuNkin for long time

Times thanked
< 27
Brand:Behringer
Model: DDM4000
Link to supplier page:http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DDM4000.aspx
Price:$550ish
Purchased From/date:Store DJ,March 09
Pros:Optical faders,4 channel,MIDI,decent FX across your 3 EQ's,2 bank sampler,adjustable parameters across the board,semi decent BPM counter.
Cons:Very lightweight for a mixer of it's size,sound is'nt great,does 'feel' like a Behringer mixer,stupid placing for a headphone jack,ridiculously bright blue LEDS,no USB output,sampler could be a little smarter.
Rating out of 10:7
User review quick comment:If it can last me for 2-3 years,it's paid itself off.
Review By:me

Last edited by DJBodie: 19-Oct-09 at 07:02pm

kMoe +

Times thanked
< 0
can someone reveiw the Numark TT610 turntables, and the poineer DJ3500 turntables. i wanna decide which to get.
a couple of my mixes:

kMoe - Rise Of The Moon Vol. 1

kMoe - Rise Of The Moon Vol 2

kMoe - The Seconds Before Launch

Deep ▼ soulful ▼ House
Stuen +

Times thanked
< 0
Nobody has posted anything about CDJ's..
Can someone review Pioneer CDJ-800 MK2's for me, maybe give me a price check (for second hand) and maybe review the Denon alternative/competitor?
Would be appreciated
donnie_dee +

Times thanked
< 0
Model: PMC 37 Pro
Link to supplier page: (Discontinued)
Price: Approx $1500
Purchased From/date: Moog Audio, Toronto, Canada/Mid 2004
Pros: 3x linear equalizer with full isolation, 3x sweep/notch filter, 16 inputs assignable across any 3 channels (so called "matrix assignment"), 2x send/receive, crossfader curve control, replaceable input and cross fader, master, booth and record outputs all with separate volume control
Cons: wish there was a VU meter on each channel, send/receive routing is not too convenient when used as intended, easy to lose the knobs for the eq
Rating out of 10: 9.5 (loses 0.5 because i don't like the effects routing)
User review quick comment: This mixer is a serious workhorse. Mine has been with me a long time, and I've played ruff with it the whole time. After 5 years I am still on the original faders, and the sound quality is still pristine. No noise in the faders or anywhere! That is why I love Vestax products. The linear eq's are offsetting to some, but I have always found linear to be the best way to move many faders at the same time. The sweep/notch filters are fantastic for mixing house music, not so usable for other genres though. Balanced outputs compliment pro audio applications. The funky "matrix assignment" coupled with full isolation on the eq and 2 send/receives allows for some really unique mixing possibilities (such as one input spread across 3 channels with different effects assigned to different frequency bands). Why on earth did they discontinue this thing? Perhaps the world was not ready for it. If you get an opportunity to buy one, give it some serious consideration.
Review By: donnie_dee
Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,133
love the 37pro... have one under my bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
< 0
Brand: Rane
Model: Empath Rotary
Link to supplier page: http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/djgear...nce-mixer.html
Price: $1400 (got mine for $1000)
Purchased From/date: 6 months
Pros: Simple, effective layout. Nice big metalic eq's that feel solid. Smooth rotary faders. External effects (haven't used it though...). Penny & Giles X fader (shame I hardly ever use it...) Headphone EQ
Cons: Getting used to playing on a rotary. Prob wouldn't be good for scratch DJ's
User review quick comment: For the money, easily my favourite mixer. No nonsence, great sound, and really easy to use.
Review By: Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

brooklyn909 +

waxWaxwax

Times thanked
< 2
Model: PMC 46 MKII Rotary
Link to supplier page: Discontinued
Price: Were $2000(got mine for $900)

Purchased From/date:1 year
Pros: Huge rotary knobs with a very spacious layout...awesome solid construction with balanced XLR outputs...
VU meters..Gold plated finish...designed by house legend Louie Vega...Superb House Mixer....4/6 channel mixing instrument with 4 phono and 8 line inputs.
* Advanced mixing facilities through Aux send return and Sub master
* VCA controlled Cross-fader
* Special cue-signal monitoring through new option meter.
* Special selected rotary input fader
* Extremely variable mixing facilities

Cons:It only has High and Low Eqs however I have found by adjusting the gain control the mixer has a more spacious frequency range... Not for scratch DJ's..no effects but who needs those.

Rating out of 10: 9.5
User review quick comment: This is a superb mixer but my next purchase would be a Vestax CX. The CX would rate a ten out of ten for me however that's another review.
Review By: Me
Mixes - http://www.purehousemusic.net/brooklyn Heaps of different mixes are available upon request...Pm me or Email jacknhouse@hotmail.com
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
Brand: Allen & Heath
Model: Xone 42
Link to supplier page: http://www.xone.co.uk/42/
Price: $1500 new, much cheaper 2nd hand
Purchased From/date: ebay, sept '09
Pros: nice simple layout, great sound, filters, booth out, nice VU meters on all channels, efx loop, 2in/2out USB soundcard built in, plenty of cueing options
Cons: cant adjust line fader curve, the eq curves cut off pretty sharply, only 2 phono inputs(wont be an issue for most), cant choose individual channels to send in the efx loop
User review quick comment: a really fun mixer to use with plenty of options for expansion such as 4 channels, effects loop and built in sound card. the analogue filters sound great and are an effective mixing tool once you get used to them. the line faders are nice and long, but have a sharp curve, but once you get used to it they are fine. a highly recommended mixer
Review By: me

Last edited by Papanikolas: 04-Jan-10 at 03:28pm

djdouble9 +

Times thanked
< 0
New mixer
Hi everyone, i am new to this inthemix thingy... Just wanted to know a few things about djing and the best gear to get that is not too pricey.... just got a pair if str8 150's and looking at getting a second hand ttm 57sl or ttm 56, what are the best mixers for scratching?
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
< 24
Model: C.324
Link to supplier page: http://www.stantondj.com/v2/prod_c324.asp
Price: anywhere from $450-$800
Purchased From/date: StoreDJ December 2009
Pros: Price (12" good quality tabletop for the same price as CDJ200), 6 effects, ability to run any 3 at the same time, sample banks, solid casing build, can get really creative with it
Cons: Jog wheel incredibly loose, 0.15% pitch increments, some latency with fast scratching techniques in vinyl mode
Rating out of 10: 7
User review quick comment: as a mobile deck, or for a bar or pub DJ, it fits perfectly, it feels reliable, the load times are fast, the player itself make no noise, so sound quality is up to the music you use,

for club work, or other peeps who need to make precise beat matches quickly, suggest to look else where, mainly for the loose feeling jog wheel and 0.15% pitch increments

otherwise as a CD player, it does the job, and for what you pay, it does it incredibly well
Review By: Mr. DJ Manboob
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"

Last edited by Catdog69Kool: 13-Mar-10 at 04:46pm

DJBT +

Times thanked
< 7
what is wrong with 0.015%???? my CDJ400's, the 1000's 2000's and 900's only goto 0.02% 0.015. is a smaller increment therefore more acurate. no???
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
< 24
my bad its 0.15% not 0.015% that's why its not ideal
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Whip26 +

Times thanked
< 0
I would be in heaven with a .15% increment !!

See http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=270096
djdouble9 +

Times thanked
< 0
Anyone selling any rane or vestax mixers?
talio93 +

"making a hard techno tune is one of the highest forms of endevour to which a human being can chose to devote his or her timed energy"

Times thanked
< 1
Can someone do a review for the Ecler Nuo3.0 and DJM 909... I can't decide!
GLXY Theory - A Future Beats Blog
Follow GLXY on Facebook and Twitter

sk8master_86 +

Times thanked
< 0
Brand: pioneer
Model: DJM 700S
Price: $1400 (i got mine 2nd hand from emily scott)
Purchased From/date: emily scott 4 weeks ago
Pros: Simple, effective layout. industry standard. 49 midi assignable knobs and buttons, roll effect (fu*ken SWEET) send recieve for additional effects unit (efx500 or 1000). nice feel to all faders and knobs feels real sturdy compared to my previous mixers.
Cons: price (but not for me got a hectic bargin) but if u were buying new then there is probly equaly good mixers for cheaper.
User review quick comment: great mixer! but most of u know that already. loving the seamless loops u can create at the touch of a button (roll fx) but its not an 800 but bloody close!
Review By: DJ REROUTE
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
< 60

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk8master_86 View Post

Brand: pioneer
Model: DJM 700S
Price: $1400 (i got mine 2nd hand from emily scott)
Purchased From/date: emily scott 4 weeks ago
Pros: Simple, effective layout. industry standard. 49 midi assignable knobs and buttons, roll effect (fu*ken SWEET) send recieve for additional effects unit (efx500 or 1000). nice feel to all faders and knobs feels real sturdy compared to my previous mixers.
Cons: price (but not for me got a hectic bargin) but if u were buying new then there is probly equaly good mixers for cheaper.
User review quick comment: great mixer! but most of u know that already. loving the seamless loops u can create at the touch of a button (roll fx) but its not an 800 but bloody close!
Review By: DJ REROUTE

I have one of these at home, and, whilst I'm satisfied with it, it's definitely not a 9.5. In fact, I doubt any Pioneer would rank that highly.

What I will say, though, is that it serves a great purpose. It's, quite comfortably, a more affordable version of the DJM-800. Of course, without a few of the bells and whistles (e.g. colour mixing, separate effects control on each channel).

If you're hell bent on purchasing a Pioneer mixer for home use, look no further than the DJM-700!
BrendanClay.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com | SequentialSydney.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

12 Sep | Crane Fridays with Luke Chable & Matt Clay [ Crane Bar, 32 Bayswater Road, Potts Point ]
19 Sep | Fridays at The Cidery Bar & Kitchen [ 389 Pitt Street, Sydney ]

> Gigatools
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
< 5
Brand: Pioneer
ModelJM700K
Link to supplier page: www.jbhifi.com.au
Price:$1200 (they gave me a pretty sweet deal as I also purchased 2xCDJ900's - all for $3800)
Purchased From/date: Oct 2010
Pros: built like a tank. effects. intuitive and easy to work out. reasonably priced. decent sound quality
Cons: no full kill on eq's like other mixers i have used
Rating out of 10:8.5
User review quick comment:solid no-nonsense mixer with effects. i got it cos it suits my style.
Review By: minimal_damage
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
Saw this in the GCP&G thread, I think Macc4 or RWS pointed it out, would be cool if this had some effort put into it and could be made a sticky, especially the DJ'ing section of it. Have a look at it anyway and see what you all think. Could answer those 'what do I buy' and why are apples better than oranges, and which should I buy questions.
http://wiki.inthemix.com.au/pages/Mu...tion_and_DJing
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Marteria +

Times thanked
< 0
In my mind the Nuo 3.0 and Empath are on equal footing. I'd try to get a play on them. Guitar Center will hook up a Rane for you to try out, for the Ecler I'd ask a buddy who has one. I think the two mentioned above are best 3 channel mixers on the market.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
How to record mixes with your sexy new Pioneer Pro DJ setup.
no doubt you are looking at this post because an ITMer has directed you to it out of either their own kindness, or their unqualified hatred of newbies who start 'how do i record' threads every now and again.

don't worry, we're here to help! everyone was a newbie once, and not everyone knows what the fuck they're doing even though they've just blown $3500 on high-end professional DJ gear.

you want to be able to plug your shit in, and record you trainwrecks? we all do!

so, here's how.

=============== STEP 1

get an RCA to 1/4in mini jack cable from your local dick smith/kmart/JB-hifi.

this is what one looks like. those red and white plugs are RCA, and that other end is the 1/4 inch mini jack.

=============== STEP 2
download & install Audacity beta.

Windows 7 users:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

Mac OSX 10.4 / tiger/leopard/snow leopard:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_mac

also, download & install the LAME MP3 encoder plugin as this will allow you to save mp3 files in Audacity.

===============
STEP 3
plug it in!

the red/white end of your new cable goes into your mixer to the REC output. it's even colour coded!

the other end of the cable with the mini jack plugs into your computer's line in/audio in port. that's the little hole right next to your USB port on the side of your mac. if you don't have a mac, you will still probably have an analog line-in port. look around where you'd normally plug your headphones.

=============== STEP 4
set up audacity to record from your audio in/line in port. (edit->preferences)

now you can hit the record button & start mixing. w00t! when you've finished and are ready to save your mix go to file=>export and choose to save as MP3 or whatever..

BUT I DON'T HAVE A LINE-IN/AUDIO-IN PORT ON MY LAPTOP! WAT DO???
welp, i'm sorry to hear that. luckily there's a cheap and easy solution. you can go to your local DJ shop and get this:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
the behringer UCA202 is a USB audio interface. for the sake of what we're doing, it basically allows you to record on your laptop. you can get one for under $50. what you will have to keep in mind is that now you'll need a different cable to connect to your mixer, and that being an RCA to RCA cable. so it has those red/white plugs on both ends.

anyway that's that. recording your sick DJ mixes for dummies. if you have any questions, PM Funkedub.

good luck, noob!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »