<
Brand: Novation
Model: Twitch
Link to supplier page: http://www.novationmusic.com/TWITCH/
Price: $470ish AUD ($415 US)
Purchased From/date: Guitar Center (USA) - StoreDJ Sell it
Pros:
  • Lightweight, but feels relatively sturdy as an overall unit
  • The crossfader is replaceable (here’s hoping an innofader can get in there at some point!)
  • ITCH integration is great, and it’s really refreshing to be playing with software that lets you stop focusing on the software. Performing with itch is very nice for 2 deck mixing with EQ’s and the odd filter work with the fader effects mode. I do wish we had dedicated LPF/HPF filter knobs though in ITCH like they do in the Traktor mapping
  • Manually beatmatching with the touchstrip is very intuitive, and in my opinion superior to manually beatmatching on the VCI-100 jogs
  • Slicer is an incredible tool, which has a lot of potential once it’s mastered and used properly
  • Track navigation/loading is great
  • Aux input is very handy, I think I’ll be connecting my synthstation 25 for some pseudo-analog synth fun.
Cons:
  • Knobs and Faders feel a little cheaply made, but are adequate. I would much prefer Novation move to a grippier plastic for their knobs and faders though, they don’t feel very nice to the touch, and are difficult to adjust in small increments
  • EQ Knobs are spaced a little tightly, but there is a lot of room around the faders
  • Effects implementation is a bit dodgy in ITCH, but we all knew that anyway. I would probably stick with the X1 for effects mapping if I were to use the Twitch in Traktor.
Rating out of 10: 8
User review quick comment: Small, Simple, Stable, and Powerful. Pretty much a epic win for the <$500 Controller market!
Review By: stoydgen
Ron Maran - DJ and occasional Ranter/Reviewer
Facebook |Soundcloud | Website
Codi +

Times thanked
<
Brand:Denon
Model:DN-MC6000
Link to supplier page: Can't post links yet.
Price:$800.00
Purchased From/date: Guitar Center - March 2012
Pros: Extremely high quality build. No cheap feeling to anything. Very sturdy. Versatile for any DJ to use. Compatible with all major DJ softwares like, Traktor or VDJ. Compatible with Mac or PC. User friendly for noobies or pros. The Jog wheels are extremely responsive. Cross faders are tough. I think the best part of the entire thing is the out puts on the back. You've got everything you need, XLR's, and quarter inch.
Cons:Some might find thist o be a con, but it's on the smaller side, it's compact. Everything is in close quarters. But, that is what this is for, being compact and portable.
Rating out of 10:9/10
User review quick comment: If you're looking for high quality midi mixer, because you can't afford CDJs, I HIGHLY recommend this.
Review By:Codi
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,398 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

the red/white end of your new cable goes into your mixer to the REC output. it's even colour coded!

good luck, noob!

What if you don't have a 'Record' output? Can I just use the Master, and then play the recording of the mix, as I'm recording it on Audacity?
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
you mean plug your mixer into puter and mix listening through computer speaks? Is there a booth monitor connection?
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,923 Times in 690 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Vestax VCI-400? Considering getting that over the Pioneer DDJ TT1 as it's cheaper and looks like it's built better

Last edited by Heist9000: 28-Jan-13 at 01:32pm

dr fil +

Times thanked
<
The Pioneer xdj-R1 all-in-one DJ system – the portable, rekordbox ready DJ unit that delivers wireless control from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

great idea terrible delivery
often the 1st Gen Pioneer equipment has teething problems.
this time seems a bit of an epic oversight by under testing b4 the R1 was released.

http://forums.pioneerdj.com/entries/24761327?page=1

Media Player
Media Player
Media Player

i personally would like a usb port on both sides too
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Why would you need a USB port on both sides? Surely it's linked like the CDJ 2000's so, one USB can play on either deck.

Aside from these new product teething issues, looks like an OK piece of kit. Wirelessly controllable via you iDevice, as in, you load up and play tracks from your phone/pad? Seems like asking for trouble anyways, just play from USB stick imo
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 26-Aug-13 at 10:55am

dr fil +

Times thanked
<
2 sticks = more tunes = lush long sets
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
1 stick = 32Gb+...just how long a set do you think you're playing?

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

dr fil +

Times thanked
<
as long as i can you need to read my bio....
64G each side
even in only a 2 hour set, dancefloors moods can change and i like to be prepared for anything. i like to have as much music on hand as possible
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Sorry mate, that's just retarded...some of the best sets I've ever heard were people mixing from a box of only 100 records...64Gb, you're talking 7000+ tracks in 320K MP3...that just leads to you drowning on too many tracks to choose from, and dollars to donuts, you end up sticking to the same 200 odd tracks you actually know...key to a good DJ is knowing your tracks, you're full of shit if you're honestly trying to tell us you "know" 14,000+ tracks...that won't lead to a "lush" set, it'll lead to a set with either the same tracks you've played many times before, or a set with no cohesion coz you're just picking tracks haphazardly

Quality > Quantity

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Sorry mate, that's just retarded...some of the best sets I've ever heard were people mixing from a box of only 100 records...64Gb, you're talking 7000+ tracks in 320K MP3...that just leads to you drowning on too many tracks to choose from, and dollars to donuts, you end up sticking to the same 200 odd tracks you actually know...key to a good DJ is knowing your tracks, you're full of shit if you're honestly trying to tell us you "know" 14,000+ tracks...that won't lead to a "lush" set, it'll lead to a set with either the same tracks you've played many times before, or a set with no cohesion coz you're just picking tracks haphazardly

Quality > Quantity

+1

My biggest issue with digital is I've accumulated so much more average music or just music that never gets a 'fair go' or learnt properly, it's been incredibly hard curbing my buying habits with how cheap shit is compared to vinyl.. I'd listen to a track/sample dozens of times when I had to spunk $20 on a record, compared to the comparitively vague listens some tracks get before you hand over <$2

Anyway. Unless your a wedding/21st etc DJ you'll never ever ever need 7000+ tunes.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
dr fil +

Times thanked
<
you guys seriously still use mp3s with the amount of space that is available with modern mass storage devices..... dont you want to show respect to the artist and their music, by playing the best quality of their music possible?

I have been playing for 1 record label for over 6 years and that label has approx 32G of music in wav that i know inside out.
i also play for another label that has about 16G of music in wav
then i also like to play other music from my collection when the crowd is looking for something else.
these different styles i keep categorized and separated in different sticks. just like i used to keep different styles in different crates.
so 1 port doesn't work for djs like myself that need to swap sticks.
every1 is different
Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »