House, Techno and Progressive

Charlie May

Tools
Deep Point +

Times thanked
<
Charlie May
Well, thought it's about right for this guy to get his own thread! As one half of Spooky and a long-time production parter to Sasha, Charlie May has always pushed the boundaries of sound, whilst maintaing his signature moody, emotive and inimitable style.

The first release on his Mayhem album is out now; 'Apache'.

https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/.../198864/Apache
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,088 Times in 611 Posts
His recent Transitions mix was pretty lush

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
I started a thread for him as well, dropped back a few pages though Yeh Apache is fantastic, thanks for mentioning i'll definetly be grabbing it.
PSD4 +

Times thanked
<
I love Charlie May, he's a great songwriter. His recent transitions mix is great - what a legend for releasing it as a 320k file with no voice overs as well.
Laundry +

hear that Gilla monsters

Times thanked
<
looking forward to him playing at Chinese laundry on january 30th
Fourthstate +

Registered Beatist

Times thanked
<
sheeyt really! ill have to be in attendance !
Catch me playing next @
Breakznight pres Breakbeat Massive @ The Clubhouse 12th October
Dragon Dreaming Festival 2013 - 25-28 October
facebook / soundcloud / spotify / dj.beatport
Deep Point +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysh

I started a thread for him as well, dropped back a few pages though Yeh Apache is fantastic, thanks for mentioning i'll definetly be grabbing it.

Oh shit, sorry mate. Just had a look at the Artist Archive and he wasn't in there.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Yeh he'll be in Brisbane on January 31... can NOT wait
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
<
He's playing Rainbow Serpent - Charlie May outdoors will be sooo goooood! <3
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=255958 All good, the man justly deserves credit either way.
SurfinBird +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
<
The new Spooky releases are fucken mint..... cant wait to catch him in the Cave.
boxcar_saviour +

Times thanked
<
If he's out here the same time as Sasha is for the Big day Out maybe he'll be used to set the scene for him in the Boiler Room, much like Jon Rundell has for Carl Cox in the past?
SurfinBird +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
<
He's playing Rainbow Serpent.... doubt BDO but you never know.

May dominates Sasha anyways
Laundry +

hear that Gilla monsters

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar_saviour

If he's out here the same time as Sasha is for the Big day Out maybe he'll be used to set the scene for him in the Boiler Room, much like Jon Rundell has for Carl Cox in the past?

nope exclusive gigs only
SurfinBird +

ITM Legend

Times thanked
<
Put him in the Courtyard Paulo.
Laundry +

hear that Gilla monsters

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfinBird

Put him in the Courtyard Paulo.

courtyard will only be for massive artists

Charlie may will be in the Cave
Deep Point +

Times thanked
<
Debut solo album: Desert Island Disco. Aus tour coming up.

http://www.datatransmission.co.uk/vi...?featureID=480
JonnyMcK +

Times thanked
<
http://files.me.com/office_530db/4i7gx6.mov
password - mayhem

Charlie May Live Dec 2009... Amazing!
skewiffed_beats +

Cow .............. Bell

Times thanked
<
^^ checking it out now

Thanks
I've been smokin all weekend........ And you know the worst bit?No F*#kers stopped to put me out.

SoundCloud - Twitter - WordPress
antis +

automated user

Times thanked
<
looking forward to his gig at brown alley!

- Automation -
Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
Interesting album name. Anyone know if hes said its going to be new material?

Couple months old but still CM related..

Quote:

Charlie May and Duncan Forbes first hit the international circuit in the early 1990s as the electronic music duo 'Spooky'. They have an impressive history of DJing, producing, remixing, plus collaborations with some of the music industry's most talented artists. Charlie May gave WorldDJ.com a candid view on much of his experiences, including his input on Sasha's invol2er and the tos and fros of the music business.

How did you both meet and how did the name 'Spooky' come about?

Dunc and I have known each other since birth, we used to share the same box of lego, nappy rash, that sort of thing. The name was a last minute decision. The label copy was about to be sent off for our first record and we still didn't have a name for the track or the band.

Have you guys found it easier or harder to produce music after fifteen years and still keep it fresh and original?

To be honest I enjoy making music more now than at any point in the past, you are less concerned with what other people think or trying to please the record company etc. Now we have learned that just being in the studio making music is a total luxury so I think we enjoy it a lot more. You still bollox things up just as much, but you don't care - you just move on.

How difficult was it getting the rights back to your entire back catalogue? How did it feel being able to bring all this music back to a new generation?

It's very frustrating when for political/contractual reasons, none of your records are available in the shops yet there is a demand for it. We've had five labels go bust on us so you can imagine the legal spaghetti just trying to get the recording rights back. Sometimes we've had to buy back our own masters only to sign the whole lot away again for less money. It can really scramble your noodle. It's all worth it - if like you say, new people get to hear the old stuff.

'Spooky' comes from an era where there was no such thing as soft synths. How much hardware do you guys still use? And what are the essential pieces you just couldn't live without?

The big advantage of having been doing this caper for a few years is that you know exactly what gear works for you. You've had years to get to know the studio and refine the set up. Also I think we are very cautious when something new comes along. It's an arms race if you are not careful when really most new kit is just the same s**t in a different tin. That's not to say there isn't some awesome clobber out there; but it's important to be discerning. Years ago there just wasn't the choice and most equipment was actually designed for a different purpose to the one we were using it for. When the first sort of "rave" / "dance" synths and modules appeared we thought it was a sad/funny moment because nothing was going to be as underground and subversive any more.

We still use some great old stuff like Roland Jupiter's and Arp 2600s, analogue desks and effects. (I can't stand a f**king computer in between a pair of speakers - that's an office and I don't work in an office. That was the whole point of making this music in the first place. I've got to have an analogue desk, makes me listen instead of look).

From your producing experience, do you each prefer solo or collaborative work?

Both. One helps the other.

How was the learning curve for 'Open'? Working with vocals so heavily why did you both decide to do something like this as opposed to a 4/4 type album?

"Open" was a real discipline. In the past we'd just stick a vocal sample onto a club track and call it a song where as with 'open' we wanted to approach things differently. The overall sound of the album evolved from that principle I guess. But yeah, a real learning curve. It was more like being in a regular band, where everything takes twice as long.

Can you tell us what equipment you use on stage for 'Spooky' live shows?

We use two imacs running Ableton so we can do more of a spooky show or DJ in big rooms at the flick of a mouse. In the past we would take a whole hardware studio (synths/samplers/really heavy equipment) on a plane to do a gig. That's just not cost effective today, plus it would un-nerve me slightly to see my beloved synth appear on an airport carousel after a good crushing. Analogue doesn't agree with sub-zero temperatures and baggage handling. We don't run the imacs in sync, just bash it in time like a record and it sits there no problem, plus you can stop/start either computer independently which gives greater flexibility.

Who have been your favourite people to work with? Any vocalists or producers you would like to collaborate with in the future?

Obviously working with Sasha all these years has been great, he always has such great people working around him so it never gets uninspiring. After a big collaborative project like invol2ver it's time to work alone for a change. I've been fortunate to have worked with some big names on huge projects such as Peter Gabriel, William Orbit, Madonna, and Liz Fraser. But it's not really my thing. There's a pecking order and sometimes when you don't get paid properly or not credited on the record you just think, f**k this. Peter Gabriel is a dude though, makes everyone a cup of tea and makes you feel like you are playing in the best band in the world at the same time. Trust me, that's never going to happen on a Madonna record.

It seems like a long time ago that 'Invol2ver' was announced or at least confirmed, when did work begin on it? Can you tell us about some of the tracks which didn't get clearance for releasing?

I can't even remember when invol2ver got started, probably about three years ago there were some early sessions, just stabbing in the dark. Then the emfire thing got us focussed but with a nice flexibility that lead into doing the album - most of which actually gets done in the three months before the delivery deadline. There were a few artists we approached that weren't really into the idea (which is their choice and totally cool) but sometimes we would just go ahead and mix something using the two track and then play it to the artist and they would be into it. More often than not we would just screw it up and end up murdering one of our favourite tunes and have to ditch it (sorry Flaming Lips, we really tried. We'll have another go at it again later).

Are you still working on any new EmFire releases or has that taken a back seat since Invol2ver?

There will be more emfire stuff for sure. Sasha will touring like a nomad for ages now, plus everyone sort of abandons ship for a while after being stuck together in the same studio for so long.

Many artists just after a few years amass an archive of unreleased material. How many 'Spooky' tracks will never see the light of day?

Our problem isn't so much un-released as un-finished; of that there is a mountain of crap. We have a data base of stuff that we sometimes flick through if we need to pitch a specific kind of tune for a tv show or movie but have very little time. That was how the "new emissions of light and sound" soundtrack came about. It's all about licensing now so that back log of unreleased stuff is important to sit on and browse through every now and then.

What's news on forthcoming 'Spooky' productions and touring?

Dunc and I have been writing some new club tracks so we can get out there and start gigging again in earnest. The problem with being away in the studio working on someone else's record is no-one reads the small print and promoters think you've been doing bugger all for months, this equals no gigs. So you have to start at square one again and put out a record with your name on it. Even though you just made a whole double album. I just finished mastering the last of the invol2ver downloads two days ago. Even when it's over.. It aint!

Deep Point +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyMcK

http://files.me.com/office_530db/4i7gx6.mov
password - mayhem

Charlie May Live Dec 2009... Amazing!

1. Intro
2. Madhouse - Pindrops
3. Tylium (Spooky Remix) - James Zabiela
4. Hate Myself (Sasha Remix) - Pole Folder

Not sure about the rest.
rolinconnection +

redlining

Times thanked
<
Charlie May LIVE will be at Brown Alley Fri Jan 29 with Ben Watt

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=265385
Sat April 14 w/ Joseph Capriati @ Pacha, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Fri April 20 w/ James Zabiela, Robert Hood etc @ Brown Alley
Fri June 10 w/ Guy J @ Roxanne Parlour
Fri June 10 w/ Jesper Dahlback @ Brown Alley
Fri July 1 Sunny Rooftop Sessions @ Brown Alley
Fri July 2 Chinese Laundry, Sydney
antis +

automated user

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolinconnection

Charlie May LIVE will be at Brown Alley Fri Jan 29 with Ben Watt

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=265385

can't wait!

- Automation -
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
Charlie May JJJ Mixup Jan 23, 2010

putting up a better link as soon as it is loaded
Originally Posted by Blinky-Live-

BAHAHA, you sir - are a twit, have you ever met Di?

She celebrated the invention of the wheel by going clubbing

Last edited by DANCINGDI: 25-Jan-10 at 04:13pm

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
He's here in Brisbane on Sunday!... counting down!

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
This is a good mix We get him Friday !!

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
Actually just found Charlie May has put it up on Soundcloud , and in a better quality than my rip. !! Gotta love Djs who share in good Quality!!

http://soundcloud.com/charliemay

Last edited by DANCINGDI: 24-Jan-10 at 08:25pm

FTorres +

Times thanked
<
Yeah downloaded the version off his soundcloud, great quality.

Ben Watt & Dixon on a cruise ship on Tuesday. Then Charlie May back to back with Robert Babicz in the Cave this Saturday, holy sheet! Awesome week
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
Sure is. We have Ben Watt and Charlie at BA which will be fantastic. Unfortunately Robert Babicz is on elsewhere on the same night. Originally told he was going to be at BA downstairs which would have worked, just would have bought tickets to both events.

Btw I have taken down my upload link , I'm uploading the soundcloud one instead!! 256 mp3

FTorres +

Times thanked
<
Nice nice, for once I can say Sydney has a better choice of events than Melbourne! Plus Babicz is playing a second set at an after hours event (Spice) from around 6am onwards after his gig in Laundry's cave. Double dose of Babicz.

You don't need to upload the soundcloud version of the Charlie May mix, it can be downloaded directly off his soundcloud. People can just click m4a? But you would already know that as you would of had to acquire it somehow too hehe
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
Yep I do know about the soundcloud But people get lazy about the aac format. And I want to keep it in my uploaded files anyway.

Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
<
smashed it at rainbow
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
After all that I forgot to put the link up . Mp3 version

Charlie May -TRIPLE J - 13_01_2010.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5yzizwy4zkn

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Interview with Charlie from Timeoff (Bris) magazine:

He might have first captured our collective attention as part of Spooky and the production brains behind much of Sasha’s work, but more recently Charlie May has been making as much impact with his own musical exploits. It’s been a long time in the making and a move which he feels was near inevitable – thankfully for fans May finally made his move from the relative comfort of said collaborations to establish not only his own labels but step up to the plate as a solo performer.
Speaking from New Mexico on vacation through the delirium of jetlag and sheer joy at having a good time away from studio and gig commitments, May is more affable than expected and most keen to discuss his fresh labels; Mayhem and the forthcoming Music For Insomniacs.
“Music for Insomniacs [is] going to be for my ambient output, I’ve got heaps of that stuff lying around and hopefully I can get that rolling this year. There’ll be similar stuff to Coma and those sort of tracks that were out on Emfire, there’ll be some older stuff and that emFire stuff I’ve done ambient versions of – it’s just kind of going to be a mixed bag, I think it’s my trash can I put anything in [that] I can’t find a home for! [I’ve got] lots of stuff that’s 90 percent there and it’s finishing it off that takes the time as you can imagine, leaving things for a bit of time and having an excuse to put it out now is hopefully going to give me a kick up the arse and get something done.”
Whilst few brave souls would be willing to accuse May of sitting on his hands, there’s one project in particular which has yet to bear its sweetest fruit: Coma. The production supergroup which incorporates Sasha, Duncan Forbes, Barry Jamieson and May has been completely studio bound, but the proposition of the quintet becoming an electronic band has shown up in interviews with each artist time and again.
“There was all sorts of ideas,” May explains. “Sasha’s on a bit of a break now I think and I possibly might tour with him next year and we may do something together. I think the whole idea of doing an electronic band is a good one but I think just logistically now it would take six months to set up and get going and as you know there’s not a huge amount of finance to pour into a big project like that, plus everyone is so busy doing their own thing. Every six months we drag the same old idea out and say we should do something to be a bit different and go ‘Oh no mate I can’t, I’ve got gigs for the next six years’. It’s quite a nice idea though and it could be done.”
Whilst the incorporation of Coma material in May’s regular solo performances may not completely sate the enthusiasm of fans keen to see his collaborators also show up on stage, May certainly has a keen appreciation of how to keep things fresh and provide an interesting, individual experience at each opportunity.
“What I’m doing [is] taking the older stuff and reworking it, adding new bits... I’m having a lot of fun with it. Because it’s all stuff that I’ve been involved with it’s more of a live set in that sense; I don’t just play one track after the other, I’m trying to really improvise with it so it’s different every night,” he says frankly. “I get a bit nervous before I go on and I’m not just putting records on in between drinks. It’s good though as you have to have a bit of an edge; you’ve gotta go on and have a build up to it because people are paying to come and see you and they want to hear old stuff reworked; a few surprises but something familiar.”

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
^^^ Thanks.

Well if he was only half as good in Sydney as he was here in Melbourne . you still would have had an amazing night!! Just Brilliant.!!! Going down as one of my bests sets ever !!

Brisbane get prepared !!!

SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
<
He's great huh ^^

I had enormous expectations for his Rainbow set, sky high, and I got down there with an esky, a chair and a bag of spliffs and man did he deliver. My set of the weekend (and that's saying something, there were quite a few other amazing sets) I was happier than I've been in years, couldn't stop grinning!

Babicz followed him up in super fine style too which was great cause I didn't wanna come backdown.

<3
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
Was he ever great!! I'm still floating on air !!

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
The Brisbane gig was down on numbers thanks to Tiesto playing up the road... so we ended up with more of a "private party" atmosphere. Charlie ripped the place apart for just over 3hr 15mins though - don't think I've ever witnessed such an awesome slab of consistent, quality, downright NASTY chugging dark goodness as what he played last night - and all of his own creation! Just when you think you're on the verge of collapse from techy bomb after techy bomb he throws in an edit of an Emfire tune... unbelievable to hear Coma just creep in out of nowhere and elevate the set to a whole new level... then again with Park it in the Shade about 30mins later. INCREDIBLE AMAZING HOLY SHIT!!!

Hernan, Diggers, Sasha look out. Mr May has seriously arrived, in a big way...

Folks DO NOT miss him if you have the opportunity!

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
You got more that us!! I can see Charlie May saying best gig Brisbane at the end of the year. Sounds wonderful!!

I'm still stunned. INCREDIBLE AMAZING HOLY SHIT!!! ??? Most definitely !! In fact I agree with all you say !! And i have been preaching the DON"T MISS HIM NEXT TIME sermon !!

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

The Brisbane gig was down on numbers thanks to Tiesto playing up the road... so we ended up with more of a "private party" atmosphere.

We scored well on that front, too...the people there for Ben Watt had gone and there was probably only 70-80 people for May, possibly less...he played close to 2 hours I think, but by then, the bar manager was wanting that room closed and everyone confined to the rooftop and cut him of when he wanted to play more! Sad fucking panda's, man!

But fucking hell was he amazing!!! I have a fair few of his tracks over the years, so had a fairly good idea he'd be wicked, but nothing like that! Easily the best set I've heard...the elements of breaks, techno, house, trance, prog, all being smashed together into one giant thundering wall of music...I've not heard much like that since I saw Rabbit In The Moon playing live...Sasha, sorry, who? Look out people, Charles is in town!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Cosmo Cater +

Brave New World

Times thanked
<
Awesome set in Brisbane, he kept such a wave of music rolling. Like Richcur says, as a solo proposition Charlie easily rates up there with the best. Looking forward to him coming back to Oz and playing some bigger club sets very soon, they are certainly well deserved.
Dec 29 - Subtrakt feat. H.O.S.H @ Bar Soma
Jan 26 - Claude Von Stroke @ Skyroom
Feb - Soul Clap, Huxley and...

soundcloud
twitter
facebook
haydos_23 +

Times thanked
<
Just read that they are doing a remix of little bullet.Cannot wait to hear what they do with this.
PSD4 +

Times thanked
<
That will be interesting. Little Bullet (Live Version) is one of my favourite songs.
Rysh +

confuciusornis

Times thanked
<
They are releasing Silinders remix, so that makes sense... The original is one of my favourites as well.
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
http://soundcloud.com/charliemay/cha...-matter-london

A new one.

SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
<
Thanks DI

my soundcloud my last.fm
PSD4 +

Times thanked
<
It's in 320 as well
Carte Blanche +

. . . those carefully prepared, scripted remarks.

Times thanked
<
That Matter set is absolute quality. Fuck he smashed it in Brisbane. Like others have said, he's as good as the likes of Cattaneo, Digweed and Wisternoff, if not better.
Carte Blanche +

. . . those carefully prepared, scripted remarks.

Times thanked
<
The breakdown of this tune at 28 minutes is just such bullshit, what an incredibly epic weapon this is!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »