Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
it's probably your attitude
anarky +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
I know of a few men who'd take a 14 year old.
Sholto +

L337 |\|1|\|J4

Times thanked
<
I have an opening that can be filled...
giggity

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shards

Sholto- please don't close!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carte Blanche

I was actually hoping Sholto might have closed this thread by now, considering how shit it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum8

stop winning the threads sholto

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pezman

sholto - can you plz make the internet less informative? thx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

Sholto, any chance you can chuck another couple of quotes in your sig?

helisto +

Times thanked
<
Pedo's or u bein serious
helisto +

Times thanked
<
how so???
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
pm undergound radio, I heard he done did tyDi at about that age
helisto +

Times thanked
<
wats TyDi
grug72 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Hey Helisto,

I actually downloaded the set, and no offence but that mix isnt very good at all.

To me it sounded like you double beat basically every mix, a few of the tunes really don't go very well together and the set really didnt keep me all that interested. I mean seriously A Put your hands up for detroit bootleg into Butterfly - it just doesnt do it for me.

To be quite honest with you, there are easily 150 people in and around Brisbane that play that cheesy, bleed out electro, with some cheese vocals a lot better then you exhibit in the mix you had a link to.

The set has absolutely nothing going for it in terms of track selection, as it is similar to what most of the 14-20 year olds are playing/listening to at the moment. Did you get all the tracks off MoS 2007-09?

Get pissed off at this comment if you want, but I would recommend practice mate. And Rapid Evolution.

In all seriousness you have a long way to go based on that mix before i would say you are ready for a club. Play some house parties, record all sets you play and then listen to what you recorded you will eventually start correcting some of the stuff you arent doing well
j_hunter +

Times thanked
<
you're in a bit of a jiffy mate!
Upcoming Gigs:

1st of July - Sky Room, Brisbane
6th of July - Barsoma, Brisbane
22nd of July - Sky Room, Brisbane
12th of August - Sky Room, Brisbane

Check out my music on:

Beatport

Soundcloud
kickedthebucket +

Times thanked
<
go play pokemon cards
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by helisto

cheers boys and girls

that's men and women to you, little boy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
OP you need to practice more....

Off topic: I watched my brother (also 14) last night pull of a seemless mix on vinyl.... brought a tear to my eye
Tech-One
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Thread would add more value to ITM in the DJ Booth forum...

Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
RADAZA +

Times thanked
<
Hey mate. Keep at it. Don't try and jump the gun too fast. Keep practicing and keep recording your sets and listen.

Dont take offence to negative comments because if anything they can be constructive for you.

Always ask for feedback and be ready for the negatives as well as the positives.

Most importantly you're still a young kid. Dont be impatient. You have years ahead of you and make sure to look after your ears or you will fuck them up before you can even get a gig in clubs.

Just have fun with doing it for your friends and parties for now and if you're good enough someone will find you eventually.

Oh and drop the 'Fuck you" attitude cos that shit wont get you gigs or favours in the future

Uncle Radaza
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Fuck you radaza

Bender +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by grug72

Hey Helisto,

I actually downloaded the set, and no offence but that mix isnt very good at all.

To me it sounded like you double beat basically every mix, a few of the tunes really don't go very well together and the set really didnt keep me all that interested. I mean seriously A Put your hands up for detroit bootleg into Butterfly - it just doesnt do it for me.

To be quite honest with you, there are easily 150 people in and around Brisbane that play that cheesy, bleed out electro, with some cheese vocals a lot better then you exhibit in the mix you had a link to.

The set has absolutely nothing going for it in terms of track selection, as it is similar to what most of the 14-20 year olds are playing/listening to at the moment. Did you get all the tracks off MoS 2007-09?

Get pissed off at this comment if you want, but I would recommend practice mate. And Rapid Evolution.

In all seriousness you have a long way to go based on that mix before i would say you are ready for a club. Play some house parties, record all sets you play and then listen to what you recorded you will eventually start correcting some of the stuff you arent doing well

Fair go... the kid is 14 and having a crack. Isn't there anything positive that you could find there to encourage him?
People can do the work, so that machines have time to think.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADAZA

Hey mate. Keep at it. Don't try and jump the gun too fast. Keep practicing and keep recording your sets and listen.

Dont take offence to negative comments because if anything they can be constructive for you.

Always ask for feedback and be ready for the negatives as well as the positives.

Most importantly you're still a young kid. Dont be impatient. You have years ahead of you and make sure to look after your ears or you will fuck them up before you can even get a gig in clubs.

Just have fun with doing it for your friends and parties for now and if you're good enough someone will find you eventually.

Oh and drop the 'Fuck you" attitude cos that shit wont get you gigs or favours in the future

Uncle Radaza

some very good advice in this post
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Just keep at it and get over the whole I wanna be a superstar club DJ in a couple of years you will be doin aight.

If there is one thing I regret about Djing its that I did not get into it at that young age when you can mould yourself into whatever you try so easily.

Plus whats your income like at 14? I doubt you have the $$ to keep up with tunes for clubs if your looking to play that mainstream crap.
grug72 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender

Fair go... the kid is 14 and having a crack. Isn't there anything positive that you could find there to encourage him?

Did you take the time to listen to the mix? Apologies for giving the kid a reality check, but basically from my point of view there was nothing positive I can say about that mix. I tried but honestly could not find anything.

He started a thread asking for a club that would take in a 14 year old, maybe they would, but it wouldnt be him, as he is clearly not ready. I do not feel bad for letting him know that he needs to do better before trying to get a club to take him in.

Its hard enough for people who are consistently good, and have been djing for years to get gigs, so if he wants to compete, which is going to be harder due to his age, he really needs to present something a little different to make it worthwhile for a club to even think about giving him a go. Good on him for having a crack, but he has some work to do yet.

OP as I mentioned should work on listening back to his mixes to see where the issues are and think a little bit more about what songs he is mixing. Though what he played would probably go down a treat at a school age house party.

Sorry I just thought of something positive to say, the gain levels on the mix were fairly consistent all the way through, congratulations.

PS Bender - take a listen to the mix and tell me if you think anything I said was unfair.
Bender +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Did you take the time to listen to the mix? Apologies for giving the kid a reality check, but basically from my point of view there was nothing positive I can say about that mix. I tried but honestly could not find anything.

He started a thread asking for a club that would take in a 14 year old, maybe they would, but it wouldnt be him, as he is clearly not ready. I do not feel bad for letting him know that he needs to do better before trying to get a club to take him in.

Its hard enough for people who are consistently good, and have been djing for years to get gigs, so if he wants to compete, which is going to be harder due to his age, he really needs to present something a little different to make it worthwhile for a club to even think about giving him a go.

Good on him for having a crack, but he has some work to do yet.

Sorry I just thought of something positive to say, the gain levels on the mix were fairly consistent all the way through, congratulations.

PS Bender - take a listen to the mix and tell me if you think anything I said was unfair.

Thank you for commenting on the gain levels. No doubt he can take some confidence from that feedback and keep practicing.
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
Do a shit load more courses in music at school and outside extra classes.
Learn a few instruments and really open your range of knowledge.
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

RADAZA +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

Fuck you radaza

Fuck you too rich!! oh by the way can I get some doorlist love for the next ulterior?? You legend
grug72 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Thank you for commenting on the gain levels. No doubt he can take some confidence from that feedback and keep practicing.

No problems mate, maybe instead of analysing my posts you can download the mix and come up with some constructive points of your own.

Would be more productive then your current contribution to the thread.
Bender +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

No problems mate, maybe instead of analysing my posts you can download the mix and come up with some constructive points of your own.

Would be more productive then your current contribution to the thread.

Fair point.

Dear helisto,

1. Make sure you know how to count
2. Practice
3. Don't listen to the knockers; play the music you like, the way you like it. If you're enjoying yourself the rest doesn't really matter.
4. Practice
5. Practice

From,
Bender
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Fair point.

Dear helisto,

1. Make sure you know how to count
2. Practice
3. Don't listen to the knockers; play the music you like, the way you like it. If you're enjoying yourself the rest doesn't really matter.
4. Practice
5. Practice
6. ???
7. Profit

From,
Bender

fixed.
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

14 and wanting to get into clubs?!?! Fuck sake man, you should count your lucky stars that at your age you've even got access to the funds required to just dabble at DJing!

Practice
practice
practice and practice some more until you're able to play, and record it, for 3 hours without major slipping/train wrecks, till your ears pick on on tracks not sounding good together (they might be in time, but still sounds whack), until you understand the concept of being unique, not just anthem bashing, until you grasp the idea of programming a set, track selection is the most important part of being a DJ, and it's the hardest one to learn.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
KillaKowalski +

Times thanked
<
you're 14, you have loads of time. relax, get some box and just enjoy yourself.
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<
Just wondering, how did you afford the gear?

or.... Idk are you using a mates>

I work full time and I struggle to get gear haha
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Do you want to be a superstar DJ or just a DJ? One leads to loads of coke and money the other leads to none of the above.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
helisto +

Times thanked
<
save up little man
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<

Quote:

save up little man

excuse me?

I was just being nice and curious.

you little ****. you already have a superstar DJ ego. quit now.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hey helisto, dude at 14 that's great you want to get into it so early! i really hope you prevail and keep at it until you're old enough to party properly. the earlier you begin the longer you have to practice, the more skills you learn, the better you get, the shitloads of more shit ****s you can shit on during comps and get respect.

i haven't listened to your mix (can't do it here at work) but from all accounts, just keep practicing and don't give up!

if this is your dream to be a club DJ and whatever, then i may suggest some advice that roger sanchez once gave -- keep your dream alive, and never lose sight of what you want to achieve!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
what equipment do you use helisto?

is inkidinkydoo your uncle?

wait, uncle radaza, is there something you aren't telling us?
Peppy +

Rawr

Times thanked
<
I am sorry but if your dream is to become a club DJ, specially these days... that's quite amusing.

Setting the benchmark a little low imo.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

if this is your dream to be a club DJ and whatever, then i may suggest some advice that roger sanchez once gave -- keep your dream alive, and never lose sight of what you want to achieve!

And don't fuck round with the drugs until you're at least 18! Seriously...a developing brain + drugs = fucked for life
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I've downloaded the set and have to agree with previous comments

Most mixes were double beat at some point and not very clean.
Track selection is horrid, but I put that down to you being 14 and probably your primary exposure is commercial dance and remixes of whats cool in the top 40 etc
On top of that, as previously mentioned the tracks don't work well together, don't try to ram the top ten cool tracks together, look for tracks that actually work to bridge between want you think are your big, cool tracks etc.

You can take this as a shot and throw attitude, or take it as advice....
Keep at it, but there is no way you are ready to play out, nor would this mix attract any interest from a promoter for any other reason than the gimmick of having a junior in the booth.

Keep working at it and try to broaden the music you listen to also....theres more to DJing than the massive hands in the air, look at me moments
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

theres more to DJing than the massive hands in the air, look at me moments

How dare you!?

RADAZA +

Times thanked
<

IF IT"S GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE POPE....THEN IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME
ticketsplease +

Frankee More

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Yo guys its me again and im in a little bit of a jiffy

i love djing but problem is .. im only 14

any of you know any clubs that would take a 14 year old in

some samples of my mixing skills are in this link

www(DOT)4shared(DOT)com/file/148202767/5e8bb9ee/mixtape2(DOT)html

any ideas. open to constructive critisisms

people that wanna jus say how bad i am
go fuk urselvs

cheers boys and girls

Hey mate,

How many friends you got? cause thats all that matters.
http://soundcloud.com/frankeemore
stezza333 +

Times thanked
<
Gave your mix a listen but its way too early to even think about getting club gigs. You need to brush up on your mixing skills including beat matching. You just need to keep at it and practice. What equipment are you using and how long have you been mixing for?

and this..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy

Track selection is horrid, but I put that down to you being 14 and probably your primary exposure is commercial dance and remixes of whats cool in the top 40 etc
On top of that, as previously mentioned the tracks don't work well together, don't try to ram the top ten cool tracks together, look for tracks that actually work to bridge between want you think are your big, cool tracks etc.

nor would this mix attract any interest from a promoter

Keep working at it and try to broaden the music you listen to also

happysumo +

Times thanked
<
You've got friggin ages to brush your skills up man, and on the positive side you'll have like ~5 years extra experience on everyone else by the time you get to their age.

Take it slooooowww, life's no rush.
--sherman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Pedo's or u bein serious?

/thread lol

But seriously, take your time, practice, branch out and listen to whatever you can, go through mixes and try to figure out why you like some and not others, try n figure out what the DJ is doing and how he's transitioning between tracks, develop a style playing music _you_ like with a nice flow, and by the time you're old enough to go clubbing, you'll be able to rock the place.
--sherman

Last edited by --sherman: 11-Dec-09 at 01:04pm

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
In time a balance between youthful enthusiasm and a degree of maturity will blossom ...
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysumo

You've got friggin ages to brush your skills up man, and on the positive side you'll have like ~5 years extra experience on everyone else by the time you get to their age

but like life ends like after year 12! he'll be like dead or in a wheelchair like us by 21!
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

KillaKowalski +

Times thanked
<
This guy is clearly a little tosser. I don't see why you are all being so nice to him.

But good on you. You are better peoples then I am.
helisto +

Times thanked
<
ima jus used to youtube where people just stick stuff on ur videos saying how bad it is, didnt know that people would actually give a shit about me
KillaKowalski +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ima jus used to youtube where people just stick stuff on ur videos saying how bad it is, didnt know that people would actually give a shit about me

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

p.s. if you do a good 10minmix on youtube, you get good comments...

trust me, i know this
Tech-One
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »