General

Godparenting

Tools
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,545
Godparenting
A mate has just asked me to godfather to his twins.

I'm guessing he isn't looking for me to be a religious and spiritual guide for them, but it got me thinking. Just what role do godparents play today?

Just wondering what people think on the subject.
red is the new blu
Teknikall +

Times thanked
< 437
To babysit when noone else will have them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,112
to be the cool uncle that his family doesn't have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
< 2,255
this came up recently in our family, do you actually believe in god? because if you dont, the bit where you talk about satan and shit may seem weird
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
I always thought it was just a way of the parents saying that you're a close family friend, and you don't actually really have to do anything,

Kind of a way of saying thanks mainly!
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Bracko +

Times thanked
< 2,112
I've understood it to mean you are their spiritual and moral mentor and someone to go to for advice and to simply to listen to your shit, that isn't your parents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Last edited by Bracko: 13-Jan-14 at 05:04pm

airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 12,246
Basically you are expected to make really bad Godfather impersonations. Never go against the family, made an offer he couldn't refuse etc. It's essentially a license to be hilarious.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 643

Quote:

Originally Posted by airconteka View Post

Basically you are expected to make really bad Godfather impersonations. Never go against the family, made an offer he couldn't refuse etc. It's essentially a license to be hilarious.

Just like on Seinfeld

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,545

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

this came up recently in our family, do you actually believe in god? because if you dont, the bit where you talk about satan and shit may seem weird

I can pretend. These guys aren't religious, I think this is mostly to placate their relatives.
red is the new blu
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 934
I'm pretty sure the traditional role of a Godparent was to be the child's guardian in the event of the parents' untimely demise? **

**Truthiness of statement not guaranteed
Fuck Everything Forever
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 1,063
If you're not religious then it's really just a meaningless title.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
mliro +

Charlie sheen...

Times thanked
< 3,374
you are that cool/creepy older person that they will be forced to call uncle even though they know they are not related to you

you will be a source of cool xmas gifts…when their parents get them a science kit for their birthday cool uncle spoon will get them a few bitcoins and access to silk road

you will be required to give them awkward hi fives when they tell you about achievements that mean nothing to you (like a participation award in making friends)

you will be the first person they approach when they want to buy drugs, because they know you have little morals based on the number of inappropriate stories you have shared over the years but mainly because you are the only adult they know who still seeks the approval of teenagers.

you will be required to hit on their hot friends and tell their ugly ones to ‘never drop out of school’

you will be slightly aroused by their beach photos and bathroom selfies they post on facebook…however confirm that this is ok since you are not a blood relative

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

mlirosi brought forth mugs.

Last edited by mliro: 14-Jan-14 at 04:08pm

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 643

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
< 1,545
I was going to do all that already.
red is the new blu
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,893

Quote:

…however confirm that this is ok since you are not a blood relative

not in my case as my god-daughter is also my niece. apparently the parents were rather nervous about asking me to be the Godfather as they know full well I'm very not-Christian, but they said I'm the most spiritual person they know.

Doing the whole Christening thing was a bit weird but I just sucked it up and went along, that was mostly done with the thought of going to a private school in future as the parents def aren't practicing Christians (like the rest of my family they'll say they're Christian if asked but in reality that means sfa).

So what am I expecting to do as Goddad... guidance, spiritual or otherwise, mostly I'm hoping be someone my Goddaughter can trust to give honest advice on whatever is worrying her.

Oh, and it also came up over the holidays that I get to teach her about music as well
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Davomaxi +

No. Money Down!

Times thanked
< 1,063
^ What makes you so spiritual?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I killed all my family because they wouldn't suck my dick.

Medium Rurrrr!

See my blog http://ecentreofexcellence.blogspot.com.au/
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,974
he drinks a lot of liquor
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,277
fuck mliro, that was gold!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

Times thanked
< 2,893

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

... but they said I'm the most spiritual person they know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davomaxi View Post

^ What makes you so spiritual?

I didn't say I was, depends on who else they know and how good their judgement is.

Though I would say around 5 years of buddhist study / practice could have something to do with it.
This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,234

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

I'm pretty sure the traditional role of a Godparent was to be the child's guardian in the event of the parents' untimely demise? **

Correct
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
this !

Spoiler:
"you will be required to give them awkward hi fives when they tell you about achievements that mean nothing to you (like a participation award in making friends)"

too good Mlro, too good hahaha
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,435
I have godparents mainly on account of my mother getting fairly religious during my childhood and getting me baptised at about age 7. Don't remember really ever interacting much with them past age 11-12, certainly not after I stopped going to church. Never got any guidance or presents from them either, except for a bible as a christening present. TBH I'm pretty sure they didn't do it out of any great love for me or my mum but just to try and make us more churchy. Certainly failed with me on that count.
If I was ever asked to be a godparent I'd politely decline, as an atheist it's against my religious principles.
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
< 747
I know that I have godparents but I can't remember who they are. Is that bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs View Post

right on **** sign me up

dj name: big facotr
style: ballbag disco
promotion ability: zilch none naada
stage presence: fuck it **** im on the d floor and use a long stick from there to change the faders.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,435

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post

I know that I have godparents but I can't remember who they are. Is that bad?

Nah, I only remember mine because as I said above, I wasn't baptised til I was old enough to remember them. Had it happened when I was a baby no doubt I wouldn't even remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

If I was ever asked to be a godparent I'd politely decline, as an atheist it's against my religious principles.

I did exactly this when my brother asked me last year. I just couldn't stand up there and say that should anything unforeseen happen that I would help raise my neice as a christian, because it is absolutely not what I would do*. I suggested that I would happily be involved in some sort of guardian non-religious ceremony, but this was all so that she could go to a "good Chrstian" school, so it was a suggestion that was ignored.

* For the record when I have my own kids I plan to introduce as many religions (including no religion) into their life and let them made up their own minds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogan Josh

My dad's old fuck buddy, my mum, just sees my dad as a buddy these days.
Which suits me tbh.

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 643

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

Same. I'd say I'm about halfway between athiest and agnostic though. I don't deny there is a god, I'm not open to the idea either, I just don't care enough to justify coming up with an opinion either way.

My one and only religious education was the first Friday in grade 1 when some religion dude came in to give his weekly religious class.

I had never heard of "God" up until that moment (I was 5 at the time) and I went home from school that day with the impression that God was a fictional character that lived in a giant hot air balloon.

I went home to tell my dad about my new discovery, and his reaction was "fuck, I forgot to write you a note excusing you from that nonsense."
Kill Whitey +

Times thanked
< 328

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron View Post

This is also my understanding, and that of at least a few of the people I know.

Most of my friends are athiest/agnostic or of the wishy washy "I believe there must be something, but..." doesn't really care or practice religion type, and whenever the conversation of godparents would pop up it's usually of the sort along the lines of "You're the closest friend/family we've got. We kick the bucket, you up for raising the kids?".

Not them specifically asking me, I mean. I wouldn't trust myself with the maintenance of a chia pet, and if anyone ever thought I'd be a capable guardian for their offspring... well I'm sure any of that sort has already had their children carted away by child services for prior errors in judgement.
beebop +

lol

Times thanked
< 135
everyone i know that is christening their kids is for school purposes only...

and also, if we die you look after our children please.
some dance to remember, some dance to forget
WillHos +

Times thanked
< 0
Bein a Godfather's da bomb!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »