House, Techno and Progressive

Deep, Hypnotic Techno (formerly known as "Head &%@$")

Tools
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
Deep, Hypnotic Techno (formerly known as "Head &%@$")
As important and powerful a subgenre as "dub", "detroit" or traditional "acid" techno this style simply needs a proper name. So if anyone wants to contribute, feel free.

I just want a place for people to be able to discuss and provide release details and sets for dudes (without a relevant thread) like Giorgio Gigli (and the rest of the Italian crew), Mike Parker, Iori, dudettes like Cio D'or, likeminded producers and labels like Prologue/Zooloft.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
I'd probably be lying if I didn't admit that part of the reason to start this thread was to show the proper respects to this remarkable set put togeter by Giorgio Gigli.

Smoke Machine Podcast 015 ft Giorgio Gigli

I am actually embarrased that Gigli's set is at least three months old and today is the first I've heard of it.

Trust me, this set is soo good it is beyond superlatives.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 26-Aug-11 at 01:41pm

patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
this is the greatest song of all time. pitch it down just a tiny bit and float away

deep, hypnotic, techno
Media Player
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
It probably can't hurt to point out that, Gigli's Zooloft partner in crime, Obtane has contributed to the latest installment of the Smoke Machine Podcast series.

I haven't actually got around to listening to it yet but I've a fair idea of what to expect.

Smoke Machine Podcast 023 ft Obtane

My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 26-Aug-11 at 07:44am

ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
< 1,477
Nice one Bruno, will be great to see what everyone has to share, this style of techno has definitely been taking my fancy of late. Here's what I've got to start, samples for Cio D'Or's new EP due out on September 22

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109
for the most part, i feel like this sound has played itself out. most of the mixes and releases i've been hearing over the last 12-18 months have left me cold and bored.
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
Couldn't disagree more.

Consistent application of that rationale means we might as well shut techno down for good.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 26-Aug-11 at 12:52pm

Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109
techno waxes and wanes, right now it is getting boring. lots of solid and decent stuff, much less that is really amazing. the creativity of the last few years is drying up, and the genre is stabilising into a misch masch of berghain / sandwell & downwards / dozzy sounds. there is too much that sounds similar, is pretty generic, and lacks care and imagination.

there is still some stuff that is interesting on this hypnotic tip - like the A on the new dino sabatini and most of mike parker's stuff from this year - but this is rather rare. most of it is pretty dull.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109
ah, also it is not hypnotic, but the new monad from aoki takamasa is excellent.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
But Chris, Mike Parker has been doing the same thing for the best part of 15 years. Why do the rules not apply to him?

With the benefit of hindsight, Gigli had become stale in 2009. Observation Document felt like it was missing its hypnotic soul. The sounds may have been there but the tunes just didn't seem to work.

From the middle of 2010 to this point his releases on Zooloft and other works have captured the emotion that was previously missing. I see evolving the sound positively as being a far bigger achievement than winning credit for something that is new and different which disturbingly is seems to become as important as anything else. It is disturbing because I don't know where the new and different starts and stops.

I don't think you can go past Skulking in the Shadow as the best thing he has done. Again, there was nothing 'new' about in the style but it stands as the most complete combination different elements that make this music stand out.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 26-Aug-11 at 02:04pm

patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco View Post

techno waxes and wanes, right now it is getting boring. lots of solid and decent stuff, much less that is really amazing. the creativity of the last few years is drying up, and the genre is stabilising into a misch masch of berghain / sandwell & downwards / dozzy sounds. there is too much that sounds similar, is pretty generic, and lacks care and imagination.

agree with this. been feeling this way all year
SkinDeep +

Bonafide

Times thanked
< 201
I love, love, love the Gorgio Gigli sound and similar things but like most of the other sub-sub-genres I enjoy, I can't listen to it in a vacuum. I've been digging out old Hardkiss records lately, variety is the spice of life.

In any case, I've had my head in the books for the last couple of months and have no idea what new things are going around, so I'm happy to see this thread, carry on good sirs!

Oh that new Cio D'Or sounds great. <3
there must be some mistake I didn't mean to let them take away my soul am I too old is it too late

my soundcloud my last.fm
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno from Burwood View Post

But Chris, Mike Parker has been doing the same thing for the best part of 15 years. Why do the rules not apply to him?

the rules don't apply to him simply because he is a much, much better and more unique producer than most people operating with these sounds. he is really doing his own thing. the zeitgeist has moved his way, not the other way round. and if you listen to his new productions - especially the track he has done for the lab EP, he is developing his sound further.

Quote:

With the benefit of hindsight, Gigli had become stale in 2009. Observation Document felt like it was missing its hypnotic soul. The sounds may have been there but the tunes just didn't seem to work.

From the middle of 2010 to this point his releases on Zooloft and other works have captured the emotion that was previously missing. I see evolving the sound positively as being a far bigger achievement than winning credit for something that is new and different which disturbingly is seems to become as important as anything else. It is disturbing because I don't know where the new and different starts and stops.

I don't think you can go past Skulking in the Shadow as the best thing he has done. Again, there was nothing 'new' about in the style but it stands as the most complete combination different elements that make this music stand out.

I dunno, for me the Zooloft stuff falls in the good but not great category. The only track I've heard from that label which has really blown me away is:

Giorgio Gigli & Obtane – Psychological Scene Of The Imagination (Psychoacoustic Edit)
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
I think overexposure to anything causes boredom. That's why I only listen to techno in bits. These days I find myself listening to PBS, I don't know any of the music, and it can often be anything from Jazz, to soul, to Reggae.
AS001

AS002
ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
As much as i enjoyed the re-emgernce of "proper" techno music a few years back, I agree strongly with Chris and jootsiejuice. Good music comes and goes, fazes, crazes and the like. Remember what happened to minimal techno (00's not early hawtin/hood stuff), good stuff led to a barrage of fluff and enevitably died off. It's the same old formula,

I live in Europe and still haven't been to Berlin, I won't have the chance until next year either, my lust for the token Berghain experience is waning as my interest in the music wanes too.

On a positive note, these lull times are always good times, as new exiciting sounds are usually around the corner!
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
Don't get me wrong, by listening to other music, I retain my excitement for techno. I still crave nights out to good techno music, just Melbourne has completely lost its mojo and the promoters who do shit here seem to have little to no idea.

So I make my own shit and bide my time.
AS001

AS002
ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
I hope people don't mistinterpret what I said either, I love and have loved techno music for a long time. I just think we've reached saturation point with this sound.
Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109
[quote=ausio;394513021I just think we've reached saturation point with this sound.[/QUOTE]

yep, exactly. and this isn't really related to how much techno you are listening to (except insofar as if you are listening to lots of techno you might reach this conclusion quicker).
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
Thats all fine, but your views are purely subjective informed by your respective biases (as is the case for all of us).

Nothing I'm reading tells me that if you listened to Branko Buljevic (a mythical Croatian producer) making deep hypnotic techno in 12 months time (or slightly longer depending on how sick of it your are) that it wouldn't become fresh again. Seems to me to be more of a saturation issue than independent assment of what your're actually listening to.
My mixes:

Track list

Chris Disco +

disco dancer

Times thanked
< 109
ah, the subjectivity argument. ok, i am out of here. carry on!
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
Deep and hypnotic is functional for me. I like it insofar as it holds a place in the set. I can't listen to 2 hours of it that's for sure.... if people used the different branches of techno in their sets properly, I don't even think we'd be having this dicussion.
AS001

AS002
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Disco View Post

ah, the subjectivity argument. ok, i am out of here. carry on!

How else can you explain some of the drivel you come out with?

You've been at great pains to express your involvement in the release of the Labryinth EP which is essentially a head fuck / DHT EP.

Oh, I'm sorry Mike Parker is just a "better" producer than everyone else. How do you quantify his superiority? Does he press buttons on his equipment in a more technically correct way? There are so many producers who just do their thing, the thing they've always done, that you've managed to talk down; the rationale is inconsistent at best and hypocritical at worst.

Disco, I respect what you have done and the international impact you've had. I will always owe you for exposing me to some really amazing producers but I really wish you wouldn't hold yourself out as some sort of authority when you offer no greater insight than your opinion. If you really want me to discuss the "subjectivity thing" I will have to get a lot more cynical.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 29-Aug-11 at 05:40pm

Wowk +

Has got special powers and he's got lots of friends

Times thanked
< 547

Quote:

Originally Posted by jootsiejuice View Post

Deep and hypnotic is functional for me. I like it insofar as it holds a place in the set. I can't listen to 2 hours of it that's for sure.... if people used the different branches of techno in their sets properly, I don't even think we'd be having this dicussion.

Bingo.

That being said: SKUDGE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyentist

More than 23 Australians like techno (and I can prove it)...
http://soundcloud.com/groups/techno-fans-australia

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311

Quote:

I don't understand why the argument gets simplified into "oh, but I couldn't listen to 35 hours of it in a row".

No one is saying that you should, or that they do.

I never listen to the same type of set or style of music back to back. I find that the best way to give context to music is to frame it with contrasting styles/sounds/genres.

As for this thread, it is really simple. Some producers are best characterised by a certain production style (rightly or wrongly it is convenient). What I am doing with this thread is using that style to provoke discussion about people who are not getting the exposure their works deserve (Mike Parker included). Fine, maybe the thread is about 8 months too late, well fuck I've been busy.

The thread isn't all about the one thing. Listen to Mike Parker's CLR podcast as a good example. As a DJ his sets encompass a broader rang of sounds than his productions suggest he would.

Gigli is much the same, most of the sets you will find floating about are ambient sets (including the first 2/3 of his brilliant mnml ssgs mix) and if you watch a you tube or two you will hear that he is a techno DJ not limited to one sound. There are occasions when he will do the unthinkable and tell a soley DHT story, as he has in the smoke machine podcast. If anyone who likes techno has a problem with Gigli's smoke machine podcast because it is all the one style, I give up.

Just out of curiosity joots, can you listen to two hours of dub techno?
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 29-Aug-11 at 05:59pm

noiser +

Times thanked
< 9
I listened to Arrange and Process twice in a row once.
Daniel Bell at The Mercat 22/03/13
patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
i could never get sick of dub techno
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169

Quote:

Just out of curiosity joots, can you listen to two hours of dub techno?

Nope. Not a chance, unless it's a track I'm working on. But I'm steering away from dub techno now too, too much same same.
AS001

AS002
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 169
Thing is we're talking about techno. It's al techno to me, and I like* it all :-)

*except shit techno
AS001

AS002
JazzyJimmyJ +

Times thanked
< 38
As a commentary on this thread and it's slight turn.
I read just yesterday on Moodmat's blog about the term IDM.
The "intelligence" comes from the discussion on dance music.

http://www.moodmat.com/?page_id=93

One thing the "Techno" forum does reasonably well is remain intelligent more than not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pham

I'd pay $100 just to see Move D cook some spring rolls.

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311

Quote:

Thing is we're talking about techno. It's al techno to me, and I like* it all :-)

*except shit techno

No doubt.
My mixes:

Track list

ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
Can you please stop calling it DHT ffs, you sound like a childish version of Simon Renolds.
ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
I'm sorry, it's just that going by your musings on this board you sound like some sort of new found techno authority. Just out of curiosity, did you come from a prog background? Because a few of the posters in this thread have been listening to this music for a LONG time, and understand the ebbs and flows of underground music fairly well.

No one here has discredited this music, just stating that the sound has reached stagnation and the majority of it is dull and not interestng, it's not about subjectivity at all, sue there are some conisistently good/great producers but as a WHOLE the sound needs to move on, which is a hard thing for people to stomach with the weight of the cult fetish ostgut/berghain thing perpetuating it.

If you were around and listening when the MNML thing was happening and saw the (way too) long and miserable death that music went through you might understand. Hell, Richie Hawtin was the most loved dj on this board moons ago. It's just more about the bigger picture ya know, thats all.
ausio +

Times thanked
< 8
Noiser's post is easily post of the week btw!
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
Ausio, stay out of this unless you have something useful to contribute.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 29-Aug-11 at 11:13pm

lordhuk +

These go to 11.

Times thanked
< 12
Awesome thread.
"... are you funky with the machines, or do the machines make you funky?"

lordhuk's Octave One tribute mix: http://soundcloud.com/lordhuk/lordhu...ve-one-tribute

lordhuk's Robert Hood tribute mix: http://soundcloud.com/lordhuk/lordhu...t-hood-tribute
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,226
The chinstroke is strong in this one.

OnL - Extraction.
Dub, house and techno vibes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
I've found one of the tracks from the Gigli podcast that was driving me crazy:

It is a collaboration between Milton Bradley and Henning Baer on new label K209, K209-1

Media Player

You can hear samples from the rest of the EP at hardwax: http://hardwax.com/62941/
My mixes:

Track list

ratticus +

Times thanked
< 1,477
Milton Bradley is a sick ****, his remix of Cio D'Or's Organza is sweet as tits:

Media Player

As is a lot of the stuff on his label, Do Not Resist The Beat!

andyk1 +

Times thanked
< 85
'Milton Bradley Trip Mix September 2011 '
http://soundcloud.com/grounded-theor...adley-trip-mix
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
Hell I can barely listen to a 8 to 10 minute track from start to finish half of the time. I must admit, for me, this sort of techno can probably peak my interests for as long as any. The off kilter sounds, overlapping time structures etc...
......I wouldn't stress too much about the popularity or lack of in any particular sound. Its all progress.
Soundcloud
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
< 43
i am loving the sounds of every dj mentioned in this thread!

1. we dont get these kinds of sounds in Melbourne

2. its dark & eerie MY STYLE

i love this track
http://soundcloud.com/vault-series/subjected-005-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS6dd7wx6DE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsa9Q...eature=related

rocking mix
http://soundcloud.com/grounded-theor...adley-trip-mix

http://soundcloud.com/grounded-theory-berlin/m-rbeck-vault-series-dj-mix[

obtane mixes
http://soundcloud.com/smokemachineta...ne-podcast-023
http://smilecoldanatomy.blogspot.com...natomy-08.html
http://soundcloud.com/modyfier/obtane-process-part-202

benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/434718-01.htm
...right up this alley. As Dasha usually is.
Particularly diggin 'Indust'
Soundcloud
ratticus +

Times thanked
< 1,477
So I'll put this here, because apparently there's no thread for Cio D'or () and I don't have time right now to start one.

We've just reviewed her latest EP Magnetfluss, and it's a killer. Check it out here: http://thepublicworksdepartment.blogspot.com/

ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
< 43
Cio D'Or rocks, would love to see her in action!

Good to see GIRL TECHNO POWER!

another rocking track SP X FLUX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeABkCs4y-o

&

Basic Soul Unit - Soulspeak (Shed remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubNSwL5c3g
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
< 1,439
Phwoar
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 311
Amazing Shed/industrial track...
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 05-Oct-11 at 08:45pm

Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
Would love to hear some of this deep sound in Canberra. Anyone know of someone who would dig coming up (I'm assuming someone in Melbourne spins this...) for my next techno night? Start in deep house/tech and move in 140 percussive acid tehcno by 4am..
All mixes, tunes and gigs info at Kazuki.com.au
benkanemill +

Bitch

Times thanked
< 33
Yep. Thats shit hot.
Soundcloud
ratticus +

Times thanked
< 1,477
Shed, farken. Is there anything he can't do?

Also,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalgrub View Post

Would love to hear some of this deep sound in Canberra. Anyone know of someone who would dig coming up (I'm assuming someone in Melbourne spins this...) for my next techno night? Start in deep house/tech and move in 140 percussive acid tehcno by 4am..

Check your PM's

DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
< 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickbateman View Post

this is the greatest song of all time. pitch it down just a tiny bit and float away

deep, hypnotic, techno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBq4QIArC3U

SOLID GOLD.
Dollar. Dollar. Bills. Y'all.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »