General

Car Accident....What are My Rights...?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Acoustic Warfare +

Times thanked
< 3
Car Accident....What are My Rights...?
OK, so i was driving along a few weeks back and ended up crashing in to the back of another guys car. Typical rear ender. Luckily i was going slowly and it didnt do too much damage to his car. Anyway, obviously it was my fault.

I dont have insurance so will have to pay to get his car fixed up. What are my rights here? His insurance company contacted me today. i told them that i did not have insurance and would be paying cash.

What are my rights? Do i have the right to 3 different quotes? Is there anything else i should be wary of?

Thanks for your help!!!!!
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,358
Isn't third party insurance compulsory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

ultim8DTM5 +

Times thanked
< 9
I can comment from NSW, although Victoria is slightly different.

3 quotes - I don't think this is law anywhere. If its an insurance company they will have the vehicle assessed and their job is to make the repair as cheap as possible whilst rectifying the damage you caused. This way, the insurer pays the least to fix the car and the damage gets fixed.

I think in Victoria you have 7 days where you can inspect the vehicle, but as this was a few weeks back this won't help you.

Good work for putting your hand up and offering to settle the debt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

and if it wasn't for cdj's this would have never happened

fatman1234 +

Times thanked
< 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

Only 3rd party personal not property.
ultim8DTM5 +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

That's only for personal injury arising from collisions, not property damage.

There is a type of property third party insurance called Third Party Property Damage but that isn't compulsory.

Quote:

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209

Quote:

yeah, it's part of your rego, but it doesn't cover damage to other vehicles, more so damage to other people/property
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,358
Wow, that's pretty shit, thought it was just the same as the UK. There must be loads of people driving around thinking they're insured for third party damage when they're not.

Quote:

fatman1234 +

Times thanked
< 3

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty shit, thought it was just the same as the UK. There must be loads of people driving around thinking they're insured for third party damage when they're not.

Bye bye house or any other thing of value if you are at fault and hit the wrong type of car.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Warfare

What are my rights? Do i have the right to 3 different quotes? Is there anything else i should be wary of?

get quotes from repairers that YOU know, dont just trust the other driver to get them done
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
thursday +

living on the red planet

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

OK, so i was driving along a few weeks back and ended up crashing in to the back of another guys car. Typical rear ender. Luckily i was going slowly and it didnt do too much damage to his car. Anyway, obviously it was my fault.

I dont have insurance so will have to pay to get his car fixed up. What are my rights here? His insurance company contacted me today. i told them that i did not have insurance and would be paying cash.

I went through this same thing a few months ago.

Basically, once a claim is lodged with the other guy's insurance, you have passed the point of getting your own quote/fixing it yourself.

They'll hand it to their 'preferred repairer' and give you the bill. If you don't pay, they'll send it to a collection agency.

They're looking after their customer, not you. And since you hit their customer uninsured, I don't think they're obligated to let you do anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berserka

i think i love you. LETS MAKING FUCK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs

need to get someone to spell check that. makes me think maybe amature operation is going down.

Last edited by thursday: 08-Feb-10 at 03:05pm

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661

Quote:

What did you damage?

A new rear bumper painted and fitted is about $400.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
< 1,209

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

What did you damage?

depends on the car really, some new exotic bumpers would cost that just in paint, whilst on some older rare cars it could be enough for insurance to write the vehicle off if parts aren't available
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
< 212
ALWAYS have insurance for everything

hope it dosent cost you too much
JVP $$Robotocorps
what more do you want in a line-up ?
Eric Prydz parachuting naked from a plane followed by White Michael Jackson Vs Black Michael Jackson soundtracked by Nirvana feat The Beatles and Wolverine? even then I don't think that would be appreciated...
UMGAWA +

WRONG THREAD

Times thanked
< 4,055
I can't believe people think its ok to get in a car without even third party insurance, it doesn't even have to be fire and theft.. ffs
These days you can pay insurance monthly if you can't hand a large sum of money every annum.

I don't feel sorry for the OP, I feel sorry for the person they hit when they dont front up the cash to repay the insurer.

Your rights? Bend the fuck over and pay!

notrollo
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the best

ALWAYS have insurance for everything

If I had insurance for everything I wouldnt have anything worth insuring. Insurance is a fucking rip off, why pay so much for something that you hope to god you never use? Oh right, on the off chance that you might need it. Heres a tip, pay attention to what you do and you should never have to use it. Yeah its a pain in the ass trying to get money out of insurance companies/other parties when they are at fault but Id rather that than be $1500 out of pocket every year just for motor insurance.

The only insurance I willingly pay for is income insurance, and when I own property insurance for that and contents. Motor insurance is just a joke. I am happy to pay for whatever damage I cause while driving, thats the risk I take. I call it 'self insuring', big companies do too.
Acoustic Warfare +

Times thanked
< 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMGAWA

I can't believe people think its ok to get in a car without even third party insurance, it doesn't even have to be fire and theft.. ffs
These days you can pay insurance monthly if you can't hand a large sum of money every annum.

I don't feel sorry for the OP, I feel sorry for the person they hit when they dont front up the cash to repay the insurer.

Your rights? Bend the fuck over and pay!

notrollo

Get over yourself bro, ive got no problem with paying the insurance company. I hit the guy, its my responsibility to pay. Easy as that.

Thanks everyone else for the comments, much gracias!
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang_

If I had insurance for everything I wouldnt have anything worth insuring. Insurance is a fucking rip off, why pay so much for something that you hope to god you never use? Oh right, on the off chance that you might need it. Heres a tip, pay attention to what you do and you should never have to use it. Yeah its a pain in the ass trying to get money out of insurance companies/other parties when they are at fault but Id rather that than be $1500 out of pocket every year just for motor insurance.

The only insurance I willingly pay for is income insurance, and when I own property insurance for that and contents. Motor insurance is just a joke. I am happy to pay for whatever damage I cause while driving, thats the risk I take. I call it 'self insuring', big companies do too.

lol you are such a fool.

If you ever have to pay less than $1500 and you are in a serious crash, let me know, it will be a first !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

UMGAWA +

WRONG THREAD

Times thanked
< 4,055

Quote:

Get over yourself bro, ive got no problem with paying the insurance company.

So why no insurance for yourself?
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,358

Quote:

So if you write off a ferrari you can afford to pay? I doubt it. Do you even have $40,000 waiting in the bank just to pay for a VW Golf you've written off? I doubt that too. Insurance in this case is not protecting you it's protecting someone elses property that you may damage.

The OP in this case is going to pay and good on him for that but I would imagine a lot of people driving around uninsured don't / can't pay for damage they cause. It really should be compulsory given the regularity of car accidents. At the end of the day car insurance is reasonably expensive because it needs to be used so often.

Quote:

Last edited by base615: 08-Feb-10 at 06:33pm

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
< 4,661
Yeah, not to mention the cost to repair roads/kerbs/light poles etc, all adds up to be huge
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

So if you write off a ferrari you can afford to pay? I doubt it. Do you even have $40,000 waiting in the bank just to pay for a VW Golf you've written off? I doubt that too. Insurance in this case is not protecting you it's protecting someone elses property that you may damage.

The OP in this case is going to pay and good on him for that but I would imagine a lot of people driving around uninsured don't / can't pay for damage they cause. It really should be compulsory given the regularity of car accidents. At the end of the day car insurance is reasonably expensive because it needs to be used so often.

I cant afford a Ferrari, but then again I dont drive one. I do however have the coin to replace a Golf. I dont drive like a dickhead, and the chances of me being wholly at fault for even a minor accident are slim at best.

Lets add it up, I have been on the road for 10 years now, at an average of $1500 a year is $15 grand. More than enough money to cover most accidents that I would ever have, plus the money is mine, I havent paid it to fund an insurance companies scare campaign.

If Joe Public watched what the fuck they were doing on the road, and didnt try to read a map, while talking on the phone, while eating a Big Mac, while picking their nose there would be no need for motor insurance to be "reasonably expensive because it needs to be used so often"
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

lol you are such a fool.

If you ever have to pay less than $1500 and you are in a serious crash, let me know, it will be a first !

I was in a serious crash 2.5 years ago, I came out of it with a new bike, new leathers, new helmet, new gloves and $2k cash surplus. Still waiting on a personal injury claim too so I think that fits your criteria?
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,358
Well good luck with your irresponsibility

Quote:

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Enjoy paying through the nose for peace of mind.
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,358
I'm not paying for my peace of mind, I'm paying so that I don't fuck up someone else if I make a mistake. IMO it's completely irresponsible to leave other people liable.

Quote:

UMGAWA +

WRONG THREAD

Times thanked
< 4,055

Quote:

I was in a serious crash 2.5 years ago, I came out of it with a new bike, new leathers, new helmet, new gloves and $2k cash surplus. Still waiting on a personal injury claim too so I think that fits your criteria?

So you have no fire and theft?

If so, can I have your address?

ultim8DTM5 +

Times thanked
< 9
$400 to replace a bumper bar?

Well, maybe at extremely low speed. But if you hit it harder than 30km/h you're up for a beaver panel, bumper bar reinforcement and possibly levelling out the boot floor. And if you hit it harder than that, well lets just say chassis rails aren't exactly cheap to repair.

I once saw a quote for Mercedes-Benz reversing sensors. From memory they were about $200 each? And there are about seven of them?

Quote:

I cant afford a Ferrari, but then again I dont drive one. I do however have the coin to replace a Golf. I dont drive like a dickhead, and the chances of me being wholly at fault for even a minor accident are slim at best.

Have you also got the $20k+ to stump up in legal fees while the Court determines whether it was your fault or not?

That Golf suddenly got a lot more expensive.

Quote:

Kid Creme +

This is classic Tammy.

Times thanked
< 307

Quote:

Aaaaand the Retard Of The Day Award goes to you!

Srsly, you should also probs go to SE Asia or South America without travel insurance hey. Oh and North America too.. I mean I hear their health care is very affordable to foreigners (and even their own people!).
Suteki +

Fundamentally Loathesome

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

You wouldn't believe how many people do. I was T-boned on a round-a-bout, if my car hadn't been lowered, or she'd hit me an inch back or fourth from where she did, the car would have been written off, as it was, she simply punch my passenger door into the passenger side of the car (no one was there).

Inquired about whether she had insurance. "Yeh I have compulsary insurance you pay with registration." Fucking great....so you DON'T have insurance?

Tang_: you're a fucking dickhead. It's people like you who shouldn't be on the road. I couldn't give a shit about your car, but if you were to hit someone else you'll just be unloading a hefty bill and the stress of dragging your sorry ass to court to get payment for the repairs, I doubt you honestly have enough money to pay off in one go. Shit happens way to often, some dick like you hits a new car and then he owner of the car ends up being the one paying for the repair because some dumbass like you can't afford to front the payments and pays it off on installments leaving the owner to do their best to get the car back on the road themselves.
Wanna see my wang? THEN CLICK HERE, U KNOW U WANNA BABY!!!!
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
your face is a car accident
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 11,606

Quote:

Do you only steal from people who don't have insurance?
Unspoilt by Progress
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty shit, thought it was just the same as the UK. There must be loads of idiots driving around thinking they're insured for third party damage when they're not.

Fixed
Likes bright colours, dancing, soft fabrics.
Flickr
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982

Quote:

What did you damage?

fucking lol....

maybe a 2nd hand one for a 1987 Falcadore
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
< 212
http://www.last.fm/music/Chris+Rock/_/Insurance
JVP $$Robotocorps
Eric Prydz parachuting naked from a plane followed by White Michael Jackson Vs Black Michael Jackson soundtracked by Nirvana feat The Beatles and Wolverine? even then I don't think that would be appreciated...
Dr Spooner +

psychedelic prophecy

Times thanked
< 1,345
dude!..u got a right! boom boom...to paaaaaaaartey
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

What did you damage?

Joking right? The rear panels on my Astra would cost about $2K, not $400.
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
< 11,606
bpimo
Unspoilt by Progress
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,358

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblivia

Fixed

I wouldn't necessarily say idiots. I've got comprehensive insurance anyway but due to the way insurance works in the UK I just assumed your green slip (or whatever it's called) over here covered property as well. I'm sure others are the same. It's absolutely ridiculous that it doesn't cover property.

Quote:

UMGAWA +

WRONG THREAD

Times thanked
< 4,055

Quote:

Originally Posted by airconteka

Do you only steal from people who don't have insurance?

I'm not the theiving type.
Oblivia +

An entangled inebriate.

Times thanked
< 305

Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily say idiots. I've got comprehensive insurance anyway but due to the way insurance works in the UK I just assumed your green slip (or whatever it's called) over here covered property as well. I'm sure others are the same. It's absolutely ridiculous that it doesn't cover property.

I think people who aren't idiots would go with what it says on the forms when you pay for your licence, rather than make an assumption based on the situation in another country.
Likes bright colours, dancing, soft fabrics.
Flickr
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,358
Come on, the title is Compulsory Third Party Insurance. An ambiguous title like that makes it pretty easy for someone to mistakenly think that covers a third party damage claim
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,071

Quote:

Dude, you can have my address as long as you guarantee it's my GFs bike that you take. You'll be doing us both a favour!
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,071
I must admit it has always staggered me that insurance is at the discretion of the owner
ezz_ +

fuck yeah nick cave

Times thanked
< 1,454

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultim8DTM5

you're up for a beaver panel

*snicker*
it only takes a fortnight to grow a decent beard
you can grow a beard twenty-six times in just a single year
it only takes a fortnight, and you know what else is true
i could grow three hundred and ninety beards before i'm over you
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
1500$ a year for insurance? unless youre driving an expensive sports car or never had insurance before I cant understand that figure, my dads 40000$ car is around 700$ a year full comp but he has a clean driving record. My insruance is 1500$ for a 10 grand bike full comp with no insurance/driving history, next year it goes down to 1000$ if I maintain a clean driving record and thats also with an extra 1000$ performance mods on it, If you spend the time to build a ncb and shit full comp gets pretty cheap IMO...

1+ on insurance being compulsory, if you can't afford to drive, don't drive or buy a cheaper car that is cheaper to insure...

Last edited by Romie: 10-Feb-10 at 12:43pm

Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
< 946
^ who's your dad insured with? I'm on a max no claim bonus in a new car worth a lil more but 4cyl , no turbo, secure parking, over 25 and $1500py sounds pretty spot on.

Or is he with those apia fuckers?
I am the best +

SPLASH!

Times thanked
< 212
my comp insurance is $1300 a year

twin turbo cars will do that tho haha
JVP $$Robotocorps
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
< 946
oh and in agreeance that it's a scary thought that so many peeps are driving around under insured..
But i have to admit that when i first got my license i wasn't aware that 'compulsory third party' insurance didn't cover property and fucked if i was going to pay 2k a year to compre insure the $3,000 shitbox i was driving back then anyway.
hOuSeMuSiC +

Hbomb

Times thanked
< 0
One lady smashed into my car while it was parked. I came back from work to find a letter on the dashboard with her details. It's good to know there are some decent people in this world.

Anyways, she had insurance and so did I. Her insurers fixed my car, but since my car wasn't 4 years old or less, they ended up giving me a cheap (and not new) front light instead.
I argued with the insurer. But it's part of the policy for them to fix it for the cheapest possible price. Rather than giving me a whole new brand spankin new light.

What I don't get is, why can't I get a whole new light? My car might be older than 4 years, but it's in perfect condition. Stupid IMO
Home is where the trailers parked!!
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Whisper

oh and in agreeance that it's a scary thought that so many peeps are driving around under insured..
But i have to admit that when i first got my license i wasn't aware that 'compulsory third party' insurance didn't cover property and fucked if i was going to pay 2k a year to compre insure the $3,000 shitbox i was driving back then anyway.

Hence why the third party fire and theft policies exist.

It covers others you hit and if your car is set alight or stolen.

On my first car (shit box VB Commodore) it was less than a few hundred a year!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

Heyyyy, it's fucking Mike Webster

Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »