The DJ Booth

Starting Out

Tools
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Starting Out
Hey Everyone,

Well this is my first post, but i have been a dedicated follower for a while now. About 12(ish) months ago i purchased a crappy Audioline all in one mixer/cd players from JB HIFI as i was wanting to DJ but i cant really spare the cash on some good shit.

Anyway still have the same unit and i have been practicing a lot, and finding some cool tracks, enough so that I want to publish my mix. Its not my first mix, bout 100th but I was hoping for some feedback. Dont really care if you think the tracks are shit unless that is because they dont flow with each other, then I am up for advice

Long story short, here is my mix please give me feedback!

1. Bangkok - Boris Dlugosch
2. Sometimes (Hook & Sling Remix) - Miami Horror
3. In for the kill (Dave Spoon Bootleg) - La Roux
4. Undertaker - Wolfgang Gartner
5. I Remember (Vocal Mix) - Deadmau5
6. Time after time (Chris Reece Prog Dub) - Tiff Lacey, Alexander Popov, Feel
8. Flonko Enclue (Balkan Bootleg) - Steve Angello vs Jack is Wack
9. Love is Gone (Fred Rister & Joachim Garraud remix) - David Guetta

http://www.mediafire.com/?d4r4mx2wzyl (its saved as 128kbs quality so only 30mb)
DJBT +

Times thanked
<
not this

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/hi-fi...=detail-button

i played on one of these at a party on the weekend. it was officially the shittest set of players ever............ sorry but its true
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Yes that is exactly it, it is horrible. The only thing good about it is it gives me something to learn with! Take that into consideration when giving feedback about the mix!

To give you an idea about how shit it its, Pitch control moves up at 1% so if the track is 2.4% slower or quicker you are constantly adjusting!!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
1% or .1%?

Anyways, learning on crap is the best way to learn...means you're dedicated to the music not just shelling out mummy and daddys money on the lastest Pio gear because "that's what everyone does, right?"...and when the time comes to play on real gear/upgrade, it's like a dream come true.

Track selection doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I'll try and remember to grab it tonight and have a listen anyway
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
DJBT +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

1% or .1%?

Anyways, learning on crap is the best way to learn...means you're dedicated to the music not just shelling out mummy and daddys money on the lastest Pio gear because "that's what everyone does, right?"...and when the time comes to play on real gear/upgrade, it's like a dream come true.

Track selection doesn't look like my cup of tea, but I'll try and remember to grab it tonight and have a listen anyway

no 1% i couldnt when i used it beat match to save my self on the thing, was difficult, my mate who has the unit, i said to him if you can beatmatch on that. you are a genious and you can mix on anything, i told him to stick with it till he gets beatmatching and song structure down.

to OP, what i heard so far for what you have used i commend you, not an easy task on these, but once you get some better gear you will be able to hold a very tight mix. everything is in phrase, although maybe start mixing in your next track a little earlier rather than mixing all in the outro/intro if that made sense, also thought i did hear a couple of double beats. slightly between Undertaker - Wolfgang Gartner and I Remember (Vocal Mix) - Deadmau5. could have been wrong, but you were on to it pretty quick so all good
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah i get what you mean by mixing in other places then outro/intro, tried to let one track go a fair bit earlier but it sounded sooooo shit in my headphones that i freaked a little and waited haha. The only major pro with these units are that they support USB which was good because as i was recording i thought of a track that would work, ripped the usb stick out and quickly uploaded the song to it and then went for gold. And when your learning you dont want to burn a ton of cds!

Cheers for the feedback, and if i get my hands on some good gear i think it would be like the first time i saw boobs! haha
Dj_Godspeed +

Times thanked
<
I have used these 'decks' before - very difficult but def possible to beatmatch on 'em (albeit with constant adjustments as you said).

Keep at it mate - as Random Kiwi said if you can do it on these you will dominate on a real set-up.

good luck
http://soundcloud.com/dj-godspeed/tracks
http://www.myspace.com/dj_godspeed
http://www.myspace.com/harder_generation
Jimma +

Times thanked
<
This was pretty good mate. The transition to a better set of gear should be a nice one for you.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<
I haven't listed to the mix and this isn't meant to be criticism more just my thoughts. I think that the song selection the genres could be a bit more consistent. First thing I saw was Bangkok into Sometimes and then Wolfgang Gartner into I Remember. Dirty electro into melodic prog is a bit of a jump.

Maybe for short demos this isn't bad but I generally would try to keep the energy of a set flowing rather then jumping from song to song.

Keep at it though and it doesn't matter what you are using or playing so long as you are having fun.
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv

Dirty electro into melodic prog is a bit of a jump.

Yeah I dont really know what genre's these songs fall into so that makes it a bit difficult. I just did this on the fly and liked the songs individually. I did try, with bangkok to sometimes, at least to blend them and build up into sometimes. Don't know how successful i was but that is exactly the feedback i am after honesty!

Keep the advice coming i will be grateful for all!!
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
Not a bad job considering the POS equipment you own. You're probably aware that you have to work a lot harder on equipment like that, so it's probably good training... refer to what random kiwi said.

Personaly I think you should have faded out of undertaker before the lyrics of i remember. They seem to clash.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Agreed here, not too shabby mixing at all considering the equipment! You obviously have grasped the concept of beat matching, now it's just practice, refinement, track selection, programming, flow, all of which take time.

And when you get on good equipment, you can not throw so many tracks into a mix, rather haphazardly, in favour of picking the tracks better and holding the mixes longer

Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Patto +

Times thanked
<
good effort mate!
Keep at it, and upgrade when you can. It will do wonders to your skill level.
kriZy +

Times thanked
<
i'll d/l this when i get home!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »