The DJ Booth

djm 2000

Tools
Spergertron +

Times thanked
<
playing a track anyone can do man.

i dont layer every single track i play but by layering tracks i can buy music which you'd find boring normally, layer them in a way so it sounds good creating something unique that you dont hear every tom dick and harry playing.

i dont get why you're argueing anyway. do you all have an issue with my syncing. do you actually think that what you say will change my opinion on it. its not going to change.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
That's because you're an arrogant ****

Make me a mix, I'll only judge once I've heard this "synched and layered like a filo pasty" greatness you're touting
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spergertron

i dont layer every single track i play but by layering tracks i can buy music which you'd find boring normally, layer them in a way so it sounds good creating something unique that you dont hear every tom dick and harry playing.

i dont get why you're argueing anyway. do you all have an issue with my syncing. do you actually think that what you say will change my opinion on it. its not going to change.

I've never seen Tom. Dick or Harry play. Who are they and are they good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<
mmmm filo pastry
Spergertron +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

Is the dickhead really needed...??

So the real reason is because when you play out you cant have the four tracks playing at the same time because there aren't 4 cdj's? So it's not what you said earlier about it saving you time...

I dont get it...

Is it to save time, or because what you do at home can not be replicated in a club environment, rendering what you think is amazing as a completely useless skill??

well i havent played out only syncing yet, ive been using 2 decks on traktor and 2 syncing.

if i get down to the nitty gritty i guess you're right, its not just the tediousness of beatmatching but the tediousness of connecting up the cdjs to use scratch when im only using it for 2 of the decks anyway.

and i have controllers i use. and i connect up to the mixer too.

i havent been mixing at home for a while anyway been playing around with ableton heaps and moved my speakers into my room currently.

im either getting teh djm2000 or traktor kontrol x1's to mix with.
as i've been saying, its just a different style of mixing that makes it feel like beatmatching is tedious.(fucking overuse of that word )

and yeah sorry about the dickhead, frustrated at all the negativity like my opinion is WRONG and not just different.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Two wrongs don't make a right, what makes you think that four wrongs are any different?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Make me a mix, I'll only judge once I've heard this "synched and layered like a filo pasty" greatness you're touting

What really gets me is why does Jarrard make his mixes on 4 deck traktor/ableton when in a club he plays on CDJs.

Quote:

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Oh boy the beatmatch-or-die mob are agitated again.

The problem is so big, what can I do?

If it's OK for Richie Hawtin, why isn't it OK for anyone else?
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
what's up doc? Who is this Ritchie Hawtin guy you keep mentioning?
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm not arguing...I'm trying to work out where you are coming from...you are using a computer to do what you say is the simplest part of DJing...I am just trying to work out why...and you are yet to give me a solid answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

Oh boy the beatmatch-or-die mob are agitated again.

The problem is so big, what can I do?

Its not OK for Hawtin...he plays boring music and thinks he's a visionary...in reality he's now just a glorified button pusher.

Quote:

Spergertron +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma

What really gets me is why does Jarrard make his mixes on 4 deck traktor/ableton when in a club he plays on CDJs.

no i dont?

you've seen 1 set of mine, that was 2 weeks before i got traktor lols

then as i said ive been using traktor scratch and syncing 2 decks but havent had a set lately cause im waiting to get new gear, cause my style of mixing has changed and i'd rather showcase my newer style of mixing to the best of my ability which means i'll need that new gear.

sure if i get booked for a set before then i'll still give it my best with what ive got, (probably still with 2 decks on scratch) but i'm not actively trying to get booked.
Spergertron +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm not arguing...I'm trying to work out where you are coming from...you are using a computer to do what you say is the simplest part of DJing...I am just trying to work out why...and you are yet to give me a solid answer.

im yet to be given a solid answer why i have to beatmatch, why its absolutely necessary and why everyone is getting so worked up about it
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

no i dont?

then as i said ive been using traktor scratch and syncing 2 decks but havent had a set lately cause im waiting to get new gear, cause my style of mixing has changed.

Surely your 'style' of mixing fits in with the gear the club has in place?

If you cant change your 'style' of mixing based on the gear available you are limiting yourself a bit.

Quote:

Times thanked
<

Quote:

no i dont?

then as i said ive been using traktor scratch and syncing 2 decks but havent had a set lately cause im waiting to get new gear, cause my style of mixing has changed.

Ooh, so you ARE playing off traktor out now? Well the that solves one great mystery, now for the others

Quote:

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

im yet to be given a solid answer why i have to beatmatch, why its absolutely necessary and why everyone is getting so worked up about it

If you joined a band and couldn't keep time with the drummer then you wouldn't be in the band for very long.
Just because you are a one man band doesn't necessarily mean you can't beatmatch jarrard, just try and slow the drums down a bit and it will all fall into place
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Playing a set of dual laptops + Ablteon + controllers is soooooooooo many miles different to using decks or CDJs and removing the beat matching it's not funny.

How can you even compared what Hawtin is doing these days to someone using the Sync on a DVS is beyond me
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Spergertron +

Times thanked
<
thats the point, i am being limited at the moment because i need to get my new gear.

i can take that gear to clubs once i have it.

i dont want to play whilst limited.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Its not OK for Hawtin...he plays boring music and thinks he's a visionary...in reality he's now just a glorified button pusher.

mmmmmhmmmmmmmm. So it's more about a very narrow perception of what is permissable to warrant self-congratulation versus the acceptance of the direction others choose to take their art. It is ART innit?

Bend the fuck over and say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

As for the tl;dr element, is the Sperg really Jarrard?

And Sperg, this is not a new topic. You will not get even a glimpse of a breakthrough with my friends here. However feel free to persist. Keeps the spectators paying up and works wonders for popcorn sales. Fuck, I even agree with (what little I read of) your postings in here.
Spergertron +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

If you joined a band and couldn't keep time with the drummer then you wouldn't be in the band for very long.
Just because you are a one man band doesn't necessarily mean you can't beatmatch jarrard, just try and slow the drums down a bit and it will all fall into place

worst solid answer ever. thats just trolling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Playing a set of dual laptops + Ablteon + controllers is soooooooooo many miles different to using decks or CDJs and removing the beat matching it's not funny.

How can you even compared what Hawtin is doing these days to someone using the Sync on a DVS is beyond me

thats the thing dude.
i am using traktor and controllers and loops ive created on reason and ableton and filtering and using just the bassline from one song with teh percussion and synths of another etc etc.

yes it is many miles different from what you say, but what you say if many miles different from what i am doing.
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hi Pro Tool, welcome to The DJ Booth
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

mmmmmhmmmmmmmm. So it's more about a very narrow perception of what is permissable to warrant self-congratulation versus the acceptance of the direction others choose to take their art. It is ART innit?

Bend the fuck over and say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

As for the tl;dr element, is the Sperg really Jarrard?

And Sperg, this is not a new topic. You will not get even a glimpse of a breakthrough with my friends here. However feel free to persist. Keeps the spectators paying up and works wonders for popcorn sales. Fuck, I even agree with (what little I read of) your postings in here.

can you please bring up the whole musicians timing argument that you have touched upon in other threads?
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<

Quote:

oh and you all think you're mad djs who can beatmatch hell good when noone gives a shit.

Quoted for irony.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
If I was sober I might know what you're talking about. AND I'm sober. What the fuck does that say?

If you're being cute, I humbly concede.

Frankly I'm more confused at the end of this posting than I was at the start. And I was fuckin well confused then.

(oh HAI SPICY)
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what's up doc? Who is this Ritchie Hawtin guy you keep mentioning?

I believe he has an awesome bio
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
and an even better haircut. And a fucking impressive cube.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If I was sober I might know what you're talking about. AND I'm sober. What the fuck does that say?

that you know what is being talked about, but don't want to bring musician's timing into a discussion about beat mixing?
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

no i dont?

then as i said ive been using traktor scratch and syncing 2 decks but havent had a set lately cause im waiting to get new gear, cause my style of mixing has changed and i'd rather showcase my newer style of mixing to the best of my ability which means i'll need that new gear.

sure if i get booked for a set before then i'll still give it my best with what ive got, (probably still with 2 decks on scratch) but i'm not actively trying to get booked.

Nice edit.

and at not actively trying to get booked...

Quote:

you totally misinterpreted me then hey.

maybe i should have said "hopefully i get a gig there soon so i can test it out"

Quote:

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

that you know what is being talked about, but don't want to bring musician's timing into a discussion about beat mixing?

I think discussion is a very generous term for one. And my thoughts are well known so no need to excite the echo chamber again.

macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think discussion is a very generous term for one. And my thoughts are well known so no need to excite the echo chamber again.

I may be wrong, but there seems to be some contrast in your thoughts on this doc.
"Beat matching is not important, but musicians timing is" is what I think you think about this.
Please correct me if I am wrong
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
One is entirely performance critical and indispensable, the other can be augmented and even replaced by commonly available technology.

Every computer DJ doodad has a sync feature. Only a lucky few violins have a plays-itself function.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
Not every dj doodad has a sync feature. I suppose you could say that your lucky violin and my turntable are similar in that you can't sync them using common technology.

Both of us would need some kind of musicians timing to manually sync these instruments together.

Does ableton even have a violin?
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Read my post again and reply once read correctly
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I read it, yeah I missed the word computer.
I still think musicians timing and dj beat match timing are much the same. Probably even happens in the same part of the brain.
Why do you think that musicians seem to be able to pick up beat matching very quickly?
volts_wagen +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

PHONO2(RCA)

only 2 phonograph inputs???? eeeekkkk
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
And so do I! They both more or less involve counting to 4, and moving your body in time. However comparing the playing of an instrument what with all the additional dexterity, muscle memory, dynamics, harmony, two hands, improvisation etc. is a bit of a stretch as a plain comparison to moving a platter to and fro. Much the same in the way running to the tram stop compares to running a marathon.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I am only comparing the timing part doc, but, a good turntablist would certainly cover most of what you put forward there.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
And I'm guessing that you, like me, and the vast bulk of DJs, are not.

Cup of tea?
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I have never even touched a violin
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
I treally hope they release a smaller 12" version or alike,
in a club or anywhere 19" mixers just feel too big, to much space
it doesn't feel natural to have your arms so far spread out IMO
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
Whats wrong? Cant handle 19 inches...

luf luf luf...

Quote:

djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Does ableton even have a violin?

follow link in my sig to My Tunes and checkout my track Waiting

also i will be uploading an updated version shortly - its a bit more meaner

edit: that smiley certainly isn't

edit2: updated track

Last edited by djaudiophile: 22-Mar-10 at 06:19pm

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaudiophile

follow link in my sig to My Tunes and checkout my track Waiting

also i will be uploading an updated version shortly - its a bit more meaner

edit: that smiley certainly isn't

edit2: updated track

Curiously on (tangential) topic.
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Please dont...that bandwaggon is starting to fill up very quickly...

Starting....???

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

http://soundcloud.com/methodix
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

besides, whats wrong with dropping a disco track here and there, its basically slow funky house these days.

x 1,000,000

God help us all.

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

actually dude, exactly what i originally thought

i started off mixing 2 decks on traktor scratch and syncing too cause i still wanted to keep an aspect of beatmatching in what i was doing.

i've since realised it doesnt make much difference, it just feels tedious. structuring a set and layering songs and loops is great. you still keep every other aspect of mixing when you sync, just takes away the need to have to get the tracks in time.

be real here, i asked that question because i know none of you find beatmatching hard. so whats there to prove.
its not like i cant beatmatch, i just choose not to because it means it gives me more time to concentrate on other things to make a set sound good.

i personally get bored beatmatching a track then sitting around for a few minutes waiting for the spot where you want to drop the next track. by syncing you can get more interesting mixing, much longer smoother transitions.

to be honest, if i play a gig and they have the djm2000 and cdj2000s setup where all i need to do is plug in traktor with a usb without anything else i may very well opt to beatmatch sometimes just for old times sake but i personally couldnt be bothered.

see i could possibly have this attitude cause im wanting to eventually move into live, i find it more interesting and fun but i still got loads of work to do on that so im trying to give my own live feel to djing by the way i mix.

wtf

i never said i couldnt beatmatch.

i got over beatmatching because its easy, takes 10 seconds then you stand around twiddling your thumbs

its a lot LESS fun then some of you make it out

dont get me wrong, i think every dj should know how to beatmatch.
DEFINITELY

i just dont think that every dj should have to do it if they know how.

Baaaahahahahahaha, you are a walking contradiction. Read: contradiction, not contrast.

OK, the fundamentals of beatmatching is easy... a little bit of practise and you get the hang of it.

Beatmatching on 3 or 4 decks (1200s + CDJ) and layering shit like you claim to do is pretty freaking intense in a heaving club when you're going nuts on 3 and layering shit for the majority of your set.

That is not boring. 3 decks is not boring. I'll give you a demo that I did years ago that has 3 records out of around 25 that play by themselves... the first, last and one in the middle... every other time the kick drum hits there are at least 2 tracks playing. I did it on 3 1200s.

That is not boring. That is not easy.

They way you were able to mix with your skill level was boring you.

The way you are mixing now is easy (and cheating IMO).

Don't give me the Richie Hawtin arguement either, he could rock out on 3 decks and a 909 better than you could with your sync buttons. He has shown us all he can do it. You haven't.

Sure, if you want to play this way as a simple live thing, then fine... but you actually need to write your own tracks for that.

Stop making excuses and practise man. Get to the point where you can beatmatch 3 or 4 tracks and still have time to layer them / mix them / drop them / whatever properly.

Sorry to direct this at you mate, I never get as venomous as this anymore... but you've really hit a nerve with your misguided, naive, holier than thou attitude.

Whoa, Mondays... and all I did was drink this weekend

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
So - you need a license to beatmatch to then proceed to the next level of using technology to use those precious moments to be otherwise creative?

The Hawtin argument holds firm, and nobody can give a valid reason why it's acceptable for him to sync other than 'we all know he can beatmatch'. Nobody's saying they can't do it - just that they don't want to. The man pioneered certain elements of the craft, why not this? Why is nobody but him able to escape your criticism? Why is what he's doing exclusively impossible for the lay person? God-complex much? Ever seen an amazing street busker and thought 'fuck that guy should be playing Carnegie Hall'?

I say that the perception of status dominates the perception of how acceptable it is for someone to break the (very rigid) mold of what you deem acceptable for a DJ to do. That's not fair, reasonable or particularly smart. In times of unrest rednecks cling to God and guns - DJ's cling to beatmatching and vinyl.

I remain unconvinced in the extreme.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
that promo mix of yours mr tool, what did you mix that on? did you use the sync function?
Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

And so do I! They both more or less involve counting to 4, and moving your body in time. However comparing the playing of an instrument what with all the additional dexterity, muscle memory, dynamics, harmony, two hands, improvisation etc. is a bit of a stretch as a plain comparison to moving a platter to and fro. Much the same in the way running to the tram stop compares to running a marathon.

It's not a bit of a stretch to think that it's the same part of your brain that has to hold a strong connection with the music to keep time the whole way through a set... I don't count. It's subconcious.

And that is my point that I've raised in other threads. The sync button automatically renders the "performer" a massive disconnect from the music, and when you're that removed from the process, it aint art.

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

Methodixxx +

... IN TRIPLICATE

Times thanked
<

Quote:

So - you need a license to beatmatch to then proceed to the next level of using technology to use those precious moments to be otherwise creative?

The Hawtin argument holds firm, and nobody can give a valid reason why it's acceptable for him to sync other than 'we all know he can beatmatch'. Nobody's saying they can't do it - just that they don't want to. The man pioneered certain elements of the craft, why not this? Why is nobody but him able to escape your criticism? Why is what he's doing exclusively impossible for the lay person? God-complex much? Ever seen an amazing street busker and thought 'fuck that guy should be playing Carnegie Hall'?

I say that the perception of status dominates the perception of how acceptable it is for someone to break the (very rigid) mold of what you deem acceptable for a DJ to do. That's not fair, reasonable or particularly smart. In times of unrest rednecks cling to God and guns - DJ's cling to beatmatching and vinyl.

I remain unconvinced in the extreme.

It's not that "we all know he can beatmatch" so it's alright... he ACTUALLY DID IT on 3 (and 909, etc) for years, was at the top of the game at it and wanted to try something different. He kicked ass when he was on turntables compared to what he is doing now, but as he's been there done that, getting payed a shitload, and now chooses to get smashed with Sven - he's made it all a little easier for himself

The musicality and connection to the music with someone like Richie or Liebing, coming from years and years of "hands on" practise and performing is not going to be downloaded to your brain when you hit that sync button.

Mainline Music
MAINLINE Presents:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »