The motorbike thread #2

Tools
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
< 5,598

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337

from those future bikes imo this thing just looks beyond sexy. I'd sleep with this bike.

Really? You think that's better looking than the box bike (the last one)?

...lol
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBodie

this is toooooo cool. I'd imagine it would'nt be too comfy a ride though.

You're not going to be sneaking up on anyone either, no doubt that thing is LOUD.
Middy1986 +

sleepin

Times thanked
< 161
going for my P's tomorrow....if i Fail i will cry because i'm hiring a bike and they cost $150!!!! fuck me......
Cardiovascular and Respiratory Endurance, Stamina, Strength, Flexibility, Power, Speed, Coordination, Agility, Balance, and Accuracy.
BlueSteel +

Calling everyone a homo since 2002

Times thanked
< 354
Then don't fail.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by Middy1986

going for my P's tomorrow....if i Fail i will cry because i'm hiring a bike and they cost $150!!!! fuck me......

Could swear mine only cost $75. It was out west in Sydney though (hired it from the centre).

Anyhoo, beat shit n get stuff.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839
I hired a CBF250 to do my test. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was light as hell and almost impossible to stall. Remember your head-checks!
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229
In Vic, the bike is just goven to you as part of the test.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
I rode up to West Head today for the first time. Fuck. Awesome.

The road has (recently it looks) been resurfaced with that smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom bitumen. Like the rediculously smooth bitumen. NO BUMPS/DIVETS in the road at all for the entire stretch from the turnoff to West head all the way to the lookout at the end of the road (14ish kms away?).

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk massively wide road as well. NATIONAL PARK (Zero traffic actually on the road apart from 1 or 2 cyclists) Had many funs. I'm sure some of you have ridden that road before.

Sex.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DJBodie +

muthafuNkin for long time

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

The road has (recently it looks) been resurfaced with that smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom bitumen. Like the rediculously smooth bitumen. NO BUMPS/DIVETS in the road at all for the entire stretch from the turnoff to West head all the way to the lookout at the end of the road (14ish kms away?).

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk massively wide road as well. NATIONAL PARK (Zero traffic actually on the road apart from 1 or 2 cyclists) Had many funs. I'm sure some of you have ridden that road before.

Sex.

Love times like this. I have a similar-ish route to work that's a bit like that. Traffic-less & nice smooth curves with a spot of trees & grass & shit like that...
there be a whole lotta fuNkin,and muthafuNkas that don't know who the fuNk they fuNkin with...
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839

Quote:

Did you have to pay to get in to the park? There's also a reasonably nice ride along McCarrs Creek Rd.
Vital +

Times thanked
< 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM

I hired a CBF250 to do my test. I can't remember how much it cost, but it was light as hell and almost impossible to stall. Remember your head-checks!

I think it depends on the place. Mine cost $135 for the day.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Anyone else noticed this thread is CONSIDERABLY quieter than the last motorbike one?

Do more awesome stuff people...then document it!

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
Yeah I notice!

I havent really been riding much over the past two months. Got out on monday for a ride and notice Im riding a shit load better now after struggling with difficult terrain last time. Getting more comfortable in slides and on the back wheel too

I did take a massive dive into a massive puddle though when I was trying to cut around said puddle and hit a huge stump buried in the brush. Covered from head to toe in sticky ass clay aint fun.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229
Following Operation Pipedown in Melbourne CBD, I ordered and have installed some 'power' tips for my exhaust which has reduced it by about 5db but doesn't lessen the hp gains - I have to admit they sound better at a lower level. Don't look as good though
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang_

Yeah I notice!

I havent really been riding much over the past two months. Got out on monday for a ride and notice Im riding a shit load better now after struggling with difficult terrain last time. Getting more comfortable in slides and on the back wheel too

I did take a massive dive into a massive puddle though when I was trying to cut around said puddle and hit a huge stump buried in the brush. Covered from head to toe in sticky ass clay aint fun.

heh, is for us to read though
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked

Following Operation Pipedown in Melbourne CBD, I ordered and have installed some 'power' tips for my exhaust which has reduced it by about 5db but doesn't lessen the hp gains - I have to admit they sound better at a lower level. Don't look as good though

Operation pipedown?

I'm guessing this is some type of noise clampdown?

In other news somthing bad happened to my bike. Was riding through the city on way back from uni, something went CLUNK inside near the engine, back wheel locked up coolant leaked (nfi what coolant had to do with it), had to get mate with trailer to take it to the bike shop for a case of beer. Lodt neutral completely, stuck in gear (i think about 2nd?)

Not sounding good, I'm thinking it's going to cost me a SHITELOAD.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

krewsin +

doof

Times thanked
< 372
need to get my bike license soon and practice riding.
doing perth to darwin on postie bike, via canning stock route.. not going to be fun for long
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839

Quote:

In other news somthing bad happened to my bike. Was riding through the city on way back from uni, something went CLUNK inside near the engine, back wheel locked up coolant leaked (nfi what coolant had to do with it), had to get mate with trailer to take it to the bike shop for a case of beer. Lodt neutral completely, stuck in gear (i think about 2nd?)

Not sounding good, I'm thinking it's going to cost me a SHITELOAD.

Dude. Not cool. I hope it's nothing too bad. If your back wheel locked up then it sounds like it could have ended badly, so good to see you're ok.

In other news, it is a scientifically proven fact that people with shit dangling off their rear-vision mirror are 87% more likely to change lanes like fucking idiots, pull out of side streets without looking and generally do things that endanger motorcyclists.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
sounds like you might have siezed\blown your engine dude, not good!
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Sorry to hear about your bike p337 that sucks. I got more bad bike news to add to the thread

Oil leaking between the metal nipple thing and cylinder. Definitely isnt coming out of the pipe

Bike is under warranty but its been modded so im pretty sure its void Im getting over motorbikes mike just sell it and get a car....

Guess it gives me a reason to spend a grand on cams and a 440big bore lol

Last edited by Romie: 09-May-10 at 07:26pm

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
no way man, i cant see the pics on my phone but take itt back to where you bought it and tell them to fix it.

Most bike shops will just put it through as a warranty job and fix it for you. They get paid well by the manufacturer, Suzuki in my experience are especially good at this.

Is the leak a direct result of work you have done yourself??
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

no way man, i cant see the pics on my phone but take itt back to where you bought it and tell them to fix it.

Most bike shops will just put it through as a warranty job and fix it for you. They get paid well by the manufacturer, Suzuki in my experience are especially good at this.

Is the leak a direct result of work you have done yourself??

Thought it was from the mods but I did some research last night/today and its very common problem. Dont know if ill worry about it but ill speak to the mechanic about it when I get it serviced in afew weeks and see what they can do. Its only the oil breather so its nothing to major it just makes a mess everywhere which is abit annoying. Looks like most people on thumpertalk just take the fitting out expand it, put it back in with some sealer and the problem is fixed. Im gurssing it just gets loose over time from all the heat and vibration so thats a relief atleast I guess.

Last edited by Romie: 10-May-10 at 07:38pm

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
ahh well if its a known problem, give your dealer a call and let them know what the problem is. Then when you get it serviced they can have it all ready to be fixed then and there.

Glad to hear its an easy fix.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
I really want to avoid the dealer mechanics at all costs. Found this place that is ment to be pretty good http://www.spmotorcycles.com.au/ Going to check them out during the week as ill most likely be using them to service the bike and ill speak to them if they can fix the fitting under warranty. Thank god its nothing major couldnt sleep last night as I was stressing my bike could be fucked lol. Havnt really liked the bike mechanics ive met so far at worst ill fix it myself atleast I know it will be done right.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789
dont fix it yourself unless you are a qualified mechanic or dont mind voiding your warranty, especially for warranty issues. However by all means do interim stuff like oil, filter etc changes that they wont notice.

Its a good idea to go to independant mechanics for servicing etc but personally i would go to a dealer for warranty claims as they can process them quickly, sometimes even on the spot..
Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
Question. Just got a bike so going to buy some gear in the next day or 2 (before the weekend!), what's the general consensus on jackets, leather vs textile?

Am looking at this one http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=1&prodid=8771

or this one http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=1&prodid=8385

or any other suggestions appreciated!
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent86

Question. Just got a bike so going to buy some gear in the next day or 2 (before the weekend!), what's the general consensus on jackets, leather vs textile?

Am looking at this one http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=1&prodid=8771

or this one http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?...=1&prodid=8385

or any other suggestions appreciated!

Where are you based? Personally, on the road I way prefer a decent textile in winter over a leather. A good leather apparently has more protection but if you are riding in the rain - they're fucking annoying as they take ages to dry. My leather is an RJays and the stitching on one cuff is coming undone, and some inner lining stitching too - two of three zips have snapped on the toggle. Aside from that it is actually a good fit!

If you are Melbourne based I can give you some specific places I recommend for price and quality.
Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
I'm in Sydney!

Leaning towards textile and maybe some draggin kevlar pants, will only be riding on the weekends and maybe once or twice during the week. Guy at work told me leather slides better if you come off, but if you come off on the road you;re not going to be so worried about sliding as being hit by a car!

Makes sense, unfortunately!
Vital +

Times thanked
< 81
Noticed a giant puddle of petrol under my bike last week
I tried fixing it myself with Kreem. Anyone else used it?
I probably should have asked this before I lined my tank with it...
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229

Quote:

I'm in Sydney!

Leaning towards textile and maybe some draggin kevlar pants, will only be riding on the weekends and maybe once or twice during the week. Guy at work told me leather slides better if you come off, but if you come off on the road you;re not going to be so worried about sliding as being hit by a car!

Draggings are bloody good. I have a couple of pairs of them and they are very well made; my 'waterproofs' I wear over them leak at the crotch which sucks! The water runs off the tank and nestles in my bollocks.

I bought a DriRider Pro Summit textile jacket recently and it is fully waterproof and warm as fuck. You can also strip the inner lining out for warmer weather. I also have an Ixon summer mesh jacket and an RJays leather for mid-dry weather.
onthedole +

Times thanked
< 0
Have had a pair of draggings for about 3 years now, they are the shit. wearing it now just in case i fall of my chair.

no serioulsy, had one fall when i slipped over an oil stain and the draggins saved me having a nasty scar, small bruise and nothing more.

go for a pair - solid investment!
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839
Good thing about motorbikes #34: if you forget to turn the kill switch off and run your battery down, you can push it up a hill and hill start it without help. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

An unrelated question - if I forget to turn my kill switch off my battery seems to lose sufficient charge to start the engine after about 48 hours. The obvious answer is don't forget to turn the kill switch off, but is there something wrong with the battery?
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,789

Quote:

I'm in Sydney!

Ahhh no. When you come off on the road you dont really slide that far at all (plus being a new rider you will have more close calls because of your own actions rather than other road users). At 60kph maybe 4ish meters. Im not going to go into the leather v textile debate other than the fact there is a good reason racers wear leather. But I will say whatever you end up buying, make sure it fits well. If its loose or ill fitting the garment will just twist around your limb giving you a fucked up rash anyway, even if your skin never hits the tar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM

Good thing about motorbikes #34: if you forget to turn the kill switch off and run your battery down, you can push it up a hill and hill start it without help. Hypothetically speaking, of course.

An unrelated question - if I forget to turn my kill switch off my battery seems to lose sufficient charge to start the engine after about 48 hours. The obvious answer is don't forget to turn the kill switch off, but is there something wrong with the battery?

Kill switch shouldnt matter, whats wrong with your ignition? That should cut all current flow from the battery!
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

Ahhh no. When you come off on the road you dont really slide that far at all (plus being a new rider you will have more close calls because of your own actions rather than other road users). At 60kph maybe 4ish meters. Im not going to go into the leather v textile debate other than the fact there is a good reason racers wear leather. But I will say whatever you end up buying, make sure it fits well. If its loose or ill fitting the garment will just twist around your limb giving you a fucked up rash anyway, even if your skin never hits the tar.

+1 to what Tang said. Draggins slix or what ever they are called (kevlar reinforcned denim jeans) are pretty cool kinda similar as skinny jeans but have a kinda like leather look about them. tight fit and feel really nice on the legs. With jackets also remember to leave room for maybe a jumper or jacket underneath it during winter time. I didnt and with a nice warm jacket under my leather jacket its a really tight fit.

IMO leather is better but not really practical in the real world so I went kevlar jeans as its better to have some protection then none. Also I reckon an exhaust can be great for safety. I use to have people changing lanes/veering into me all the time when my bike was stock now that I got a 110db open exhaust it hasnt happened once but im pretty sure im hated in my area now
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839

Quote:

Kill switch shouldnt matter, whats wrong with your ignition? That should cut all current flow from the battery!

Hmm, it definitely doesn't. I might have to get it looked at.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie

Also I reckon an exhaust can be great for safety. I use to have people changing lanes/veering into me all the time when my bike was stock now that I got a 110db open exhaust it hasnt happened once but im pretty sure im hated in my area now

This! A quiet bike is a dangerous bike.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

partyboi007 +

Times thanked
< 33
Anyone in the brissie area need a new jacket?
I sold my bike a while ago and not getting another anytime soon.
Jacket is pretty much brand new, probably about 30-40hours use all up.
I'm tall so would fit someone of a similiar size obviously.
Don't have any photos atm as I'm not at home tonight but if anyone is half keen just PM me
Just Fucken Relax Aye

2/1 - Private audience with Richard Durand
6/1 - Redman & Method Man
9/1 - Summafieldayze
TBA - Dash Berlin
27/2 - FMF
Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Ahhh no. When you come off on the road you dont really slide that far at all

Ahh no? I don't get it? I was saying the same thing, that you don't have to worry about sliding if you come off on the road.

Anyway thanks for the good advice, will be going with rjays jacket and draggin pants and will make sure it all fits well!!

And romie, not sure how loud it is but I have a scorpion exhaust and it sounds loud to me! People in my apartment block will be hating me in the mornings
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
what do you ride agent?

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,839
How's your bike, p337?
Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
09 Hyosung GT650r for now, was tossing up between that and a gs500f but got it for a good price and they look pretty good imo!
Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
another question, is a bike still LAMS approved if it has a modified exhaust?
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Haha cool, I ride/rode the 650 naked.

@DuncanM - They pulled the motor out of my bike and apparently next week they are going to start taking the motor apart. Still doesn't sound good. My biggest problem is the fact that I bought that bike (cheap) off a friend of a friend who built it from new/old pieces. He's a hyosung mechanic and for the first 8 months of my bikes life it went fine. I'm really not sure what set the engine off? I have no warranty which sucks balls. Anyhoo, if it's going to cost me a SHITLOAD to fix I might just ask the mechanic if I can take the bike home then I might pull it apart myself and have a go.

He's a good bloke (my mechanic) so he said he'll assess what the actual problem is before he starts quoting/pricing me.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 14-May-10 at 04:03pm

P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

another question, is a bike still LAMS approved if it has a modified exhaust?

I'm fairly certain it's not because the hyosung sits on 32bhp with the standard exhaust which is EXACTLY on the bhp limit for a learner motorbike. Custom exhaust would of course grant minor power gains and nudge it over. Should only take 5 minutes to swap the exhausts back when you have to get rego though.

Edit: On that though I've been pulled over for RBT's many many many times with my custom exhaust on and no cop to date has pulled me up on the exhaust (touch wood). So long as you aren't revving your guts out if you ever get pulled over you'll be fine.

edit2: Insurance-wise.....I'm not sure.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 14-May-10 at 04:05pm

Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
more worried about insurance purposes though, if I have an accident or whatever am I still covered with the modded exhaust and is my ctp still valid if someone else is hurt etc?
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
I'd ask the person you bought the exhaust off. They would want to be honest with you.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Agent86 +

Times thanked
< 4
I bought the bike with the exhaust on it, but the guy gave me the original exhaust as well

might have to look in to this a bit further I think...
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229
110db Romie? Farkkk - do you wear earplugs when you ride?
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,229

Quote:

I'm fairly certain it's not because the hyosung sits on 32bhp with the standard exhaust which is EXACTLY on the bhp limit for a learner motorbike. Custom exhaust would of course grant minor power gains and nudge it over. Should only take 5 minutes to swap the exhausts back when you have to get rego though.

Edit: On that though I've been pulled over for RBT's many many many times with my custom exhaust on and no cop to date has pulled me up on the exhaust (touch wood). So long as you aren't revving your guts out if you ever get pulled over you'll be fine.

edit2: Insurance-wise.....I'm not sure.

My old bike's power:weight was 32.47hp (it was a 50hp bike) so it depends what real difference the non-stock pipe makes I guess - you'd be bastardly unlucky for your common or garden variety copper to even think about checking that; or the insurance people.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »