General

The motorbike thread #2

Tools
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Dont wear ear plugs kingwicked. I need to get custom ones made as I can definately tell my hearing isnt as good as it use to be. I got a baffle that makes it not so noisy maybe I should put it in. I find the bike is more loud at max rpms and idle but midrange isnt to bad when riding. Ive tried the ones from the chemist but they dont work well with my ears. I wonder if my bike is still learner legal lol
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie

Dont wear ear plugs kingwicked. I need to get custom ones made as I can definately tell my hearing isnt as good as it use to be. I got a baffle that makes it not so noisy maybe I should put it in. I find the bike is more loud at max rpms and idle but midrange isnt to bad when riding. Ive tried the ones from the chemist but they dont work well with my ears. I wonder if my bike is still learner legal lol

Mate, you need to sort that out sooner rather than later! Seriously. I dropped some tips into my Two Bros exhaust and it's now around 96-97db instead of 101db. It's so much more comfortable and I can ride for longer with better concentration. I always wear either earplugs or my Audio Technica in-earphones with music on. Don't fuck around with your hearing dude! I used to wear ear protection even with the quiet as fuck stock pipes due to the wind noise.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked

Mate, you need to sort that out sooner rather than later! Seriously. I dropped some tips into my Two Bros exhaust and it's now around 96-97db instead of 101db. It's so much more comfortable and I can ride for longer with better concentration. I always wear either earplugs or my Audio Technica in-earphones with music on. Don't fuck around with your hearing dude! I used to wear ear protection even with the quiet as fuck stock pipes due to the wind noise.

Do you have an open face helmet?
I've never really noticed wind noise visor open or closed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337

Do you have an open face helmet?
I've never really noticed wind noise visor open or closed.

Nope - I have one of these in blue..

and one of these in black...

P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
well this is awkward...

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
Yeah, I have no trouble with wind noise either.
DJBodie +

muthafuNkin for long time

Times thanked
< 27
ditto...and I use an open face helmet.
there be a whole lotta fuNkin,and muthafuNkas that don't know who the fuNk they fuNkin with...
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Simple answer - we aren't riding fast enough.

edit: I use this for night-time (clear visor):

And this for day-time (in red and silver, couldnt find it online + tinted visor):

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 15-May-10 at 11:06am

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
I have this:

I've gone pretty fast - I think it just fits my head well.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
heh ^ love that helmet I have a big head (XL helmet)

(mine's been tested @ ~210km/h, won't go into detail online).

edit: Just on that...you people with your OMFG fast superbikes (full license holders), what's the fastest you've taken your bikes (on private roads or on a track of course)?
And did it feel scary fast? Was the bike relatively stable/unstable @ those speeds?

I've been on a naked bike that maxed out @ ~210km/h and the wind force against me was f*cking insanely strong, the bike was relatively stable though.
I'd love to do track days somewhere down the track when I have my full license/a proper litre bike.

edit: here's a video of a 2008 zx-10r being tested flat out on a track in britain (speedo in mph, he maxes out at 304.17 km/h). towards the end of the vid he takes on an R1 (and gets beaten).

edit2: the MCN guys are insane, he drops down from that wheelie at ~ 200kph

edit3: this isn't meant to be a "my penis is bigger than yours" question, I'm just generally curious what it's like @ 250km/h+ and what it felt like on that certain type of bike.

Media Player
Onboard 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R - YouTube

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 15-May-10 at 11:48am

HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51
;Tang sez

Quote:

I'm fairly certain it's not because the hyosung sits on 32bhp with the standard exhaust which is EXACTLY on the bhp limit for a learner motorbike.

LAMS bikes are limited by power to weight, not break HP

Quote:

My old bike's power:weight was 32.47hp (it was a 50hp bike)

Me thinks your calcs are wrong unless you bike weighs about 1400kg. Its measured in KW per tonne and the limit is 150kW/tonne.

Fasted I have been on my old gixxer was an indicated 270ish. Probably a bit slower than that if it was measured by a GPS or such but yeah, its scary fast. If you ever get the chance to ride some track days, DO IT. You will learn so much about your riding in one day its not funny.
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

UMGAWA: $200 says he renegs on leaving.
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51
KW how much was your helmet with the visor?? I ended up buying a shoei one when I first got my sumo but damn I paid through the nose for it
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARV3Y

;Tang sez

LAMS bikes are limited by power to weight, not break HP

Me thinks your calcs are wrong unless you bike weighs about 1400kg. Its measured in KW per tonne and the limit is 150kW/tonne.

Fasted I have been on my old gixxer was an indicated 270ish. Probably a bit slower than that if it was measured by a GPS or such but yeah, its scary fast. If you ever get the chance to ride some track days, DO IT. You will learn so much about your riding in one day its not funny.

Those Shark lids are very nice!

Tang, stats are taken from here - http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/sac...r_650_2003.php - 36.5kw @ 6750rpm. I think my current bike with the new pipe on it sits just under 100bhp.

With respect to the wind noise, I remember reading an article about wind noise and its up around 90db even though it doesn't feel like it so you are damaging your hearing without even noticing it due to the nature of the noise/frequency/pressures. I'll try and find the article for you all. It certainly doesn't sound 'loud' when you think my chainsaw is 92db.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

KW how much was your helmet with the visor?? I ended up buying a shoei one when I first got my sumo but damn I paid through the nose for it

I paid $240 for it and about $40 for a tinted visor. It is superb for me as I live in the west and sometimes the sun is dead on the horizon and even with a tinted visor you have to squint - the Zeus tint is really dark too. My GF just bought an RJays one with visor which can extend too and that was about $200 on sale. She tried the Shoei and Zeus but the XS were still too big but Rjays is a perfect fit in S. Bizarre eh.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

noise, I remember reading an article about wind noise and its up around 90db even though it doesn't feel like it so you are damaging your hearing without even noticing it due to the nature of the noise/frequency/pressures. I'll try and find the article for you all. It certainly doesn't sound 'loud' when you think my chainsaw is 92db.

I'm pretty sure once you're going any faster then 80km/hr you're doing yourself damage.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

I'm pretty sure once you're going any faster then 80km/hr you're doing yourself damage.

This isn't the same article but this reckons wind noise can get up to 103db!!

http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_m...clefacts.shtml

I always wear earplugs at gigs/clubs too.
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51
Yeah earplugs are good even for just general comfort. I know I can ride a lot longer with protection in and a custom pair is the best $50 I have ever spent. They are meant to last a lifetime if looked after properly, and you can get the makers to reapply the protective coating on them when it wears out.

That was a good price for the helmet. Mine is covered in dust now, never gets used and it was the most expensive piece of bike gear I own, besides leathers. D:

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

Yeah earplugs are good even for just general comfort. I know I can ride a lot longer with protection in and a custom pair is the best $50 I have ever spent. They are meant to last a lifetime if looked after properly, and you can get the makers to reapply the protective coating on them when it wears out.

That was a good price for the helmet. Mine is covered in dust now, never gets used and it was the most expensive piece of bike gear I own, besides leathers. D:

Why don't you wear it? I'm thinking about getting some of the custom moulded but I want to be able to listen to music. Some bluetooth moulded speakers would be ace!
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

Why don't you wear it? I'm thinking about getting some of the custom moulded but I want to be able to listen to music. Some bluetooth moulded speakers would be ace!

Im pretty sure you can get custom earplugs made with headphones built inside them. Ill see if I can find the link

edit: found it had it booked mark although im not 100% sure if they are anygood
Tried this? http://www.earmold.com.au/Headsets/V...-products.html

Last edited by Romie: 15-May-10 at 08:46pm

P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
My good mate just got his L's this month and just received his bike. The thing looks/sounds freaking unreal!!!! He rode round to my place this morning and showed me it, the thing has custom pipes and sounds like a wet dream.

I am sooooo f*cking jealous. It's a Yamaha 650 Dragster, he picked it up for 4K and the thing looks freaking immaculate (think it's a 2003 model).

Oh yeah, and did I mention it's LAMS approved?
How did I not know about this bike!?!??!?!!?

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
It's a v-twin isn't it? Any v-twin with pipes sounds orgasmic.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

It's a v-twin isn't it? Any v-twin with pipes sounds orgasmic.

I can confirm this

Yeah it's that kind of lazy popping noise. So wicked! Sounds very similiar to these pipes (though not as long).

Media Player
Yamaha Dragstar xvs 650 - YouTube

edit: just on that, when I was checking exhaust sounds I did a quick look for the yamaha MT-01 with custom pipes.

Through my searches I found an angry lion (as described in the single comment):

Media Player
Yamaha MT-01 with Akrapovic pipes - YouTube

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 16-May-10 at 10:32am

DJBodie +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

My good mate just got his L's this month and just received his bike. The thing looks/sounds freaking unreal!!!! He rode round to my place this morning and showed me it, the thing has custom pipes and sounds like a wet dream.

I am sooooo f*cking jealous. It's a Yamaha 650 Dragster, he picked it up for 4K and the thing looks freaking immaculate (think it's a 2003 model).

Oh yeah, and did I mention it's LAMS approved?
How did I not know about this bike!?!??!?!!?

That is a beautiful ride. I would sooo buy this bike.

Must be fkin heavy to be learner approved.
there be a whole lotta fuNkin,and muthafuNkas that don't know who the fuNk they fuNkin with...
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
No doubt the MOST will be pretty tough on that.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
even vtr250's sound awesome with pipes

Media Player
Honda VTR250 with Staintune Exhaust - YouTube
Video doesnt really do it justice, sounds better in real life.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBodie

That is a beautiful ride. I would sooo buy this bike.

Must be fkin heavy to be learner approved.

240kg dry weight
I had a sit on it, it's fairly low seating so the weight didn't seem too much of an issue for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucanM

No doubt the MOST will be pretty tough on that.

I'd be leaning more towards impossible (for the U-turn).

Quote:

even vtr250's sound awesome with pipes

I saw a streetfighter L-Plater VTR today in yellow on Sydney's Northern Beaches, looked alright.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DJBodie +

Times thanked
< 27
Yeah if anything I would love the extra weight. My venox is 175ish kgs and when I'm at around 120 km it feels a little unstable so I feel a little hesistant to take it further.

It's probably just me...
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075
Not wanting to piss on the fire but fuck I hate cruisers. Fugly fucks they are. Each to their own and all that though

I don't think I'd ever own a fairinged bike either tbh.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725

Quote:

Not wanting to piss on the fire but fuck I hate cruisers. Fugly fucks they are. Each to their own and all that though

2. DuncanM
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Big call...

edit: just on that, I prefer naked bikes to cruisers or fairing bikes but I do still like the others.

Only thing that shits me is bikini fairings. A pet hate of mine.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

VT5SPD +

Times thanked
< 0
Finally got some pics of my new ride!
let me know what u think:

Spent yesterday morning on the Old Pacific Highway in Sydney, what an awesome road for a motorbike
DJBodie +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT5SPD

Finally got some pics of my new ride!
let me know what u think:

Spent yesterday morning on the Old
Pacific Highway in Sydney, what an
awesome road for a motorbike

not really my style of bike, but very very nice though. 600 cc?
DJBodie +

Times thanked
< 27

Quote:

awww don't be like that. In saying that though I'm not a huge fan of fairings either.
VT5SPD +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBodie

not really my style of bike, but very very nice though. 600 cc?

Cheers mate
Nah, its only a 250
im still on my L's
Gixer750 is coming soon!
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
I just realised I'm off my restricted license in 3 weeks. All I need is a few thousand dollars spare to upgrade...
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
The only things greener than that Kwakka above are my eyes at my sales manager mate who had a new Ducati 1100 Hypermotard sitting in his garage all weekend. FUCK I WANT TO RIDE THE SHIT OUT OF ALL THE BIKES HE BRINGS HOME.

ps a cruiser would be awesome if you already had a shitload of bikes in the stable and wanted something to put your woman on the back and cruise up/down the coast road on a sunday afternoon. no homo.

pps. Went out for a ride on the weekend. Was mostly sweet, but one of the girls we ride with was having her first ride back after breaking her hand. Guess what? She got into this massive tankslapper right in front of me and ate shit HARD. She ended up with a big concussion and a rebroken hand >.< I need to get a helmet cam to record these things!
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT5SPD

Gixer750 is coming soon!

Motorcycle News UK (MCN) has said time and time again the gsxr750 is THE BEST all round sports bike ever made.

Ever.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM

I just realised I'm off my restricted license in 3 weeks. All I need is a few thousand dollars spare to upgrade...

grats dude - jealous as hell!

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725

Quote:

grats dude - jealous as hell!

I won't have the cash to upgrade for some time, unfortunately
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

I won't have the cash to upgrade for some time, unfortunately

What are you on at the moment, Duncan?
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
2007 Suzuki GS500, so it's not too bad. I've just been looking at what I might like to get - so many nice bikes out there!
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

so many nice bikes out there!

A plethora.

*I've been waiting 3 pages to use that word*

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075

Quote:

2007 Suzuki GS500, so it's not too bad. I've just been looking at what I might like to get - so many nice bikes out there!

Yeah, it's like records - you never have enough

Still, you should get a good resell value on your bike surely? If you went for a bike a couple of years older (obviously depending on what you are after!) you might not have to add much to upgrade.

edit - http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/cs...s.php?R=120278 about $5k for your bike thereabouts. You'd be surprised what you can pick up for between $6-7k
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
What did you end up getting, KW? FZ-6n, wasn't it?
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,075
Si Senor, love it too. Very nimble for a 6 hunnerd. I got a 2005 for $6300 with 24 thousand km's on the clock so had a full service and new tyres too

Other than the too firm seat, it's a great bike imo.
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

Times thanked
< 1,458
I had my first go on a motorbike today. I rented one out and took it for a massive spin around an island. The only thing is, when you're going fast, I can't work out how to turn corners. I understand you have to bend or lean or something but I suck at it.
In the end i just decided to slow down.
Well, the first time, I stacked spectacularly. It was at this point i realised the folly of wearing thongs and a singlet - oops!
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
BlueSteel +

Calling everyone a homo since 2002

Times thanked
< 345
Becy, if you can't ride a bike, don't especially in Thailand. You can live or you can die on a bike. If you want to learn to ride a bike, ffs do not attempt it in a foreign country where there are no road rules and where hospitals use rusty forks and knives as surgery utensils. If you can't help yourself and you want to ride, GO SLOW and get to know the bike.

Remember, you don't stear a bike, you lean it to turn. Having said that in the country you're in, the condition of the roads there are very poor and can also be very dirty with sand which can cause you to lose traction when turning a bike. My advice? Don't ride if you don't know how as you can kill yourself with inexperience. If you do ride, GO SLOW and do not attempt any stunts or tricks that you have no idea about how to execute properly. And always assume people on the road have not seen you whether in a car or on a bike.

Being on a bike needs your full concentration, you need to be alert to everything around you. So please refrain from riding after heavy drinking, nanging or shelving otherwise be prepared for the worst.
MASTB8 +

Times thanked
< 0
I had one of these before and they were rubbish - poorly built,electrical problems,engine easily overheats, so jst letting you's know to stay away from it. I know it looks tempting for a learner legal bike but you better off walking.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	hunter.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	33238  
koombleh +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteel

Becy, if you can't ride a bike, don't especially in Thailand. You can live or you can die on a bike. If you want to learn to ride a bike, ffs do not attempt it in a foreign country where there are no road rules and where hospitals use rusty forks and knives as surgery utensils. If you can't help yourself and you want to ride, GO SLOW and get to know the bike.

Remember, you don't stear a bike, you lean it to turn. Having said that in the country you're in, the condition of the roads there are very poor and can also be very dirty with sand which can cause you to lose traction when turning a bike. My advice? Don't ride if you don't know how as you can kill yourself with inexperience. If you do ride, GO SLOW and do not attempt any stunts or tricks that you have no idea about how to execute properly. And always assume people on the road have not seen you whether in a car or on a bike.

Being on a bike needs your full concentration, you need to be alert to everything around you. So please refrain from riding after heavy drinking, nanging or shelving otherwise be prepared for the worst.

+1. I ride a gixxer 600 as a daily and have been riding for 4 years, and I think that If i were to go to thailand or something similar, i wouldn't even think about riding over there because of the road conditions. I've seen videos and heard people say its pretty ridiculous over there, so screw lowsiding a crappy rented bike, and then going to some pov hospital, especially if you're JUST learning to ride.
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSteel

Remember, you don't stear a bike, you lean it to turn.

Ewww I never lean the bike over to turn, counter steer is where its at for anything faster then walking pace! If you want to turn the bike right push the right handle bar forward and if you want to turn left push the left handlebar forward and lean with the bike.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »