General

The motorbike thread #2

Tools
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
friend picked this up in Tasmania and rode it all the way back to NSW. I'm jealous as f*ck, he bargained it down to $9K plus it has the dual akrapovic slip ons.

Bastard!

Yamaha MT-01 2005

edit: thing I find most off-putting though is the fact that it redlines @ 5500rpm. diesel?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I read everyone's posts.

Even yours pee three three seven.

Last edited by P337: 16-Jun-10 at 11:47pm

Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Wow those mufflers look wicked
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie View Post

Wow those mufflers look vuvuzela

bzzzt fixed
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
haha

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
Photo taken at Palmy? Nice looking bike.

Last edited by DuncanM: 18-Jun-10 at 12:27am

P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

Photo taken at Palmy? Nice looking bike.

Correct!

Spoiler:

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

Man, I'm getting very jealous of your off-road antics

We're seriously thinking of getting an older dirtbike; maybe just a CR125 or 250 say. At the back of our bush block apparently there are a lot of tracks and we have several parks etc near there too.

first time I ever rode I came a proper gutser off a table top - I'd never ridden before and listened to my MX racing mate who had a sick streak a mile wide the **** ha ha. Trashed his bike though but he was pissing himself as I launched myself with too much twisted wrist and disappeared behind the table top with the bike heading in a different direction

DO IT! Im still trying (failing) to get the GF to buy herself a dirtbike, considering that we used to ride sportsbikes together all the time. For the $3k or so an older thumper costs you, its cheap entertainment.

Any damage to yourself in the epic launch??
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tang_ View Post

DO IT! Im still trying (failing) to get the GF to buy herself a dirtbike, considering that we used to ride sportsbikes together all the time. For the $3k or so an older thumper costs you, its cheap entertainment.

Any damage to yourself in the epic launch??

Pride, and I landed so fucking hard on my coccyx I thought I had pissed myself and shattered my tail through my nasal cavities. I was winded for a good few minutes while these motherfuckers snorted with howling rapture. It felt like my arse bones had disintegrated on impact too

About 25mins earlier I'd tankslapped my way across the MX track, lting almost horizontally across the bike like superman with the back wheel whirling dangerously close to my bollocks.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Lol, reminds me of that crash Pastrana had when he was 14ish. He pushed his spine through his pelvis when he hit the wrong side of the landing ramp and was never meant to walk again or something. The video is on youtube and nasty as fuck. You planning to do some MX or just trail riding?
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
< 3
Thoughts on a KTM 640sm?

I'm currently on a Hyosung GTR250 and am well over sports bikes (after having a ZX2R, FZR250 and riding around a mates R6). My old man is trying to convince me to buy a 1200 sportster and join him on the dirty harley trail but I like the look and sound of motards. Thinking a KTM 640sm or preferably if in price range a 690smc. But there are also Husqvarnas like the 610sm 510smr and 450smr which are also in price range.
Hoping to not spend over $7k.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
If it is anything like the 990 superduke it will be a brilliant machine. Haven't read many reviews on it though.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
640SM = WIN, 640DUKE = WIN, 690SM = WIN, 690SMC = OMFG WIN!
SM610 = not so win.

I used to ride a SM610, it was fun but the engines arent that great and husky build quality just doesnt stand up next to an orange bike. My GF bought a 690SM shortly after I got my SM610, what a way to dull the new bike experience.

The thing I didnt like about riding a tard (I also came from sportsbikes) was the fact that you cant go out and do 400km's a day on them, go for a cruise down the highway,or go stupidly fast and your ass... learn to ignore it! However if you mainly ride around the city/commute or live close to where you go riding then holy shit are they awesome. I used to love riding in peak hour, if i couldnt split traffic it was up on the footpath, or through a park or whatever you felt like. They are a hoons bike and shit easy to ride quick in the twisties.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
< 3
I heard the dukes aren't as great as the tards. 690smc would be my preference but I think the exhausts are ugly as hell on a beautiful bike so I'd need another couple of k for a new system. Look forward to test riding one this week though.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Probably not as great, but they are still a sweet bike, esp the 640 ones. You should be able to get a slip on from the US for around $500, maybe a little more. No need to spend $2000 on a full system made of unobtainium

haha make that $260 for the FMF

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-20098-fmf-...uro-08-10.aspx
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
I posted this in the cars thread for romie.

690SMC 2008 model, 8,000kms, custom exhaust, looks fcking wicked in pure black.

$7,900. You could try and bargain it down.

can you stretch your budget?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...cs=7&silo=1400

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Dont forget to factor in all the costs of fines from riding like a hoon. Im lucky I havnt been fined or lost my license so far
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
Fuck looking at that KTM makes me wanna take all my stickers off and paint everything matt black
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
I got fined for speeding going over the harbour bridge on my L's end of last year. It was just before they bought in the changes to L and P plate rules for bikes so I didn't lose my licence...somehow?

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076
I just went and bought a pair of these.

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/pr.../storm_tp_pant - well they are these but don't have those stupid braces but otherwise identical.

Just as I was about to leave the shop it started raining so I just kept them on. They are really bloody warm, I'm very happy with them so far.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337 View Post

I posted this in the cars thread for romie.

690SMC 2008 model, 8,000kms, custom exhaust, looks fcking wicked in pure black.

$7,900. You could try and bargain it down.

can you stretch your budget?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...cs=7&silo=1400

Thats not an SMC, its a SM. Thats the stock exhaust too

This is the SMC:
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076

Quote:

Lol, reminds me of that crash Pastrana had when he was 14ish. He pushed his spine through his pelvis when he hit the wrong side of the landing ramp and was never meant to walk again or something. The video is on youtube and nasty as fuck. You planning to do some MX or just trail riding?

Probably just trail Tang, or at least to start with anyway.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

has it been re-cored or are they always that open? Eh, thought it was a tad cheap

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Cant really see, it is a possibility but you would have to cut an end off the muffler to get the core out and I cant see any cuts nor rivets. Those bikes look sick with aftermarket pipes on them though (twin shorties *drool*).
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

This is the SMC:

I showed my mate and he told me its an SMR which is 10kg heavier with 10 less hp
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
eh, it looks the same as the other bikes that came under the 690 smc search on bikesales.com.au - that's where I found the ad. Anyhoo, both look cool

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romie View Post

I showed my mate and he told me its an SMR which is 10kg heavier with 10 less hp

Google image search 690SM and 690SMC

690SM-R is just the flashy version of the 690SM, just like the Superduke R is the flashy version of the Superduke And the 690SM-R has an orange frame so its defs just a 690SM
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Third party motor cycle insurance to rise July 1st. Kick in the fucking ball sack.

edit: For NSW Regos

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 21-Jun-10 at 12:48pm

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
is that for NSW??? We just had a 30% increase in rego costs at the start of this year, thanks nanna bligh.

I've been tempted to get my cars and bike rego'd in nsw for a while now, only thing holding me back is sending the vehicle over the pits every year...
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Yeah it's for NSW, you're safe for now.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Does anyone do any mini motard racing?
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Does anyone do any mini motard racing?

What's a mini motard? My mates race pocket bikes @ gatherings every few months in sydney, you can have up to 30 tearing through a track in a shopping centre carpark etc.

Here's me on my mates bike.

Spoiler:

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
Safety first, eh?
partyboi007 +

Times thanked
< 33
So I'm thinking of getting another bike

Have always wanted a Daytona 675. Anyone ridden one?
Just Fucken Relax Aye

2/1 - Private audience with Richard Durand
6/1 - Redman & Method Man
9/1 - Summafieldayze
TBA - Dash Berlin
27/2 - FMF
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,725
We were going to get some mini bikes to race around up at a mates farm, but everyone piked after they found out that they're only good for 100kg's. Fat bastards!
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

We were going to get some mini bikes to race around up at a mates farm, but everyone piked after they found out that they're only good for 100kg's. Fat bastards!

Haha, I weigh 92kg and I managed to get up to about ~ 40km/h on my mate's bike on a flat surface (we judged speed by a mate flat out sprinting trying to keep up).

edit: Duncan I'm, assuming you are referrring to something like a peewee 50?

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 21-Jun-10 at 11:01pm

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

I reckon it looks like freaking awesome fun. Did a bit of research last night and you can get a 160cc pitbike for about $1200 then you just need to make it track ready (sliders, catch cans, slicks) and you are ready to rock. I know a couple of people that help run SWS up here (SMall Wheel Sundays) but they are trying to move back towards 'ride' days and not racing. I'd defs be interesting in racing one though, especially at such a cheap entry cost.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
:[ gotta buy a ute first though, I really should be spending the money on bikes instead!
BlueSteel +

Calling everyone a homo since 2002

Times thanked
< 345

Quote:

Originally Posted by partyboi007 View Post

So I'm thinking of getting another bike

Have always wanted a Daytona 675. Anyone ridden one?

Apparently a half decent bike. It gets raced in the World Supersport and Superstock and does ok.
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
^Looks wicked too

The 2006-2008 model actually has a better review than the current model, just something to consider (not sure if you were after new or second hand).

here's an MCN review of the 06-08 model.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Last edited by P337: 26-Jun-10 at 02:06pm

KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076

Quote:

:[ gotta buy a ute first though, I really should be spending the money on bikes instead!

A trailer is much cheaper! We bough a brand new one for $450 and it fits out little KX80 and generator etc well easily.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Yeah thats the crux of my problem.

I can get a semi decent ute for about 10-14k or get a pimping 03 V6 Bora 4 motion and put a tow bar on it for $12k The Bora was a 50k car new too.

I want a ute because it will come in handy ALL the time, I'm moving soon, the misses is moving soon, I want to start doing weekly track days, I dont have to worry about storing a trailer or towing one all over the country side.

The only reason I want to Bora is because I want something nice to drive in each day. If I spend a bit more on a ute I can get the best of both worlds. Woe is me.
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076
Holy shit, I wore my KBC today and put catcrap on the visor and there was absolutely NO fogging even when I was coughing. That stuff is awesome and unfortunately shows that the visor on my Zeus isn't very good as the catcrap only reduces, not eliminates fogging on that.
Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
Do you keep most of the vents open?
KingWicked +

Stuff an' ting

Times thanked
< 3,076

Quote:

Do you keep most of the vents open?

Yeah, my MASSIVE brain overheats otherwise

re: vehicles in your post above...

option c) Buy a late 80's Nissan Patrol for $4.5k that runs on LPG, trailer for $450* and then you'd have ten large to blow on more bikes ha ha

That's what I did (apart from the really fun bit of ten grand on other bikes )
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
I had my first sit on my mate's MT-01 (pictured @ top of page) today.

Holy fucking shit. The closest thing I could compare it to when reving it would be Vin diesel's OMFG MASSIVE american muscle car in fast & the furious 1....on two wheels. It is the hottest vehicle sound I have heard. Ever.

It was thudding out air like a fucking jumbo jet. DOOF DOOF DOOF, then a loud as shit thundercrack when you rev it. entire bikes shaking like michael j fox on steroids.

I almost came. Anyhoo, that's my next bike decided in about 18 months.

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWicked View Post

Yeah, my MASSIVE brain overheats otherwise

re: vehicles in your post above...

option c) Buy a late 80's Nissan Patrol for $4.5k that runs on LPG, trailer for $450* and then you'd have ten large to blow on more bikes ha ha

That's what I did (apart from the really fun bit of ten grand on other bikes )

Yeah I've been driving around in a shitter for the last couple of years but I would really like something comfortable to get around in, hence me spending a bit more. I've got the coin to do it too so why not??! haha
Romie +

Times thanked
< 752

Quote:

Originally Posted by P337 View Post

I had my first sit on my mate's MT-01 (pictured @ top of page) today.

Holy fucking shit. The closest thing I could compare it to when reving it would be Vin diesel's OMFG MASSIVE american muscle car in fast & the furious 1....on two wheels. It is the hottest vehicle sound I have heard. Ever.

It was thudding out air like a fucking jumbo jet. DOOF DOOF DOOF, then a loud as shit thundercrack when you rev it. entire bikes shaking like michael j fox on steroids.

I almost came. Anyhoo, that's my next bike decided in about 18 months.

any idea on how good it turns? Sounds hot though I could only imagine the sound of a vmax with pipes
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
He said the turning takes a bit of getting used to, just getting used to where the weight sits on the bike. The seat height is very high. I'm 188cm and I was just able to 2 foot flat foot it while sitting on it, my mate can't flat foot it.

you feel it more than you hear it, this is the closest I could find to the sound (his is debaffled too):

Media Player
yamaha mt01 debaffeld akrapovic's!!!!!! - YouTube

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

Romie +

Times thanked
< 752
fuck love the sound of the idle
P337 +

is a carrot

Times thanked
< 2,936
Hot new muscle ducati due for late 2010 release. Apparently it will be a rival to the Yamaha V-Max (the most powerful bike on the road).
My guess is that it will cost equivalent to an African nation - considering the V-Max is a Yamaha and that costs ~$35,000.

Spoiler:

Quote:

I read everyone's posts.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »