'Technical ability'

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
'Technical ability'
Seriously confused with this...its a term that is thrown around left right and centre about DJ's.

Now my question is what does 'technical ability' actually mean? It seems nobody can really define it.

Any DJ can get a handful of tracks, assemble them in an order that generates a bit of a flow, get the beats matched, and get the tracks close to the same key. This to me is not being 'amazing technically' it is just being a DJ, it is what the fundamental skill of a DJ is, to play good tracks seamlessly back to back...what else is there aside from that, that makes a DJ 'technically brilliant'.

Someone please try and define it...I'm lost here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<
ever seen james zabiela or phil k?
Something Coming.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
isnt it a nice way of saying; "you can mix well, but your music sucks"

being a good DJ in my mind is some who does both
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesPLees

ever seen james zabiela or phil k?

Yeah Zab's trickery with the effects and such is a skill seperate from the basics of DJing...but I am talking about DJ's who just mix tracks together...and people describe them as 'technically brilliant'

Quote:

flatty88 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,155 Times in 212 Posts
Technical (relating to technology) ability would refer to being able to utilise a variety of available technology (IE: Traktor, MIDI's, SSL etc) as well as utilising different styles of mixing and incorporating different skills (IE: looping, scratching) to create a decent set.

In my eyes of course.
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

Any DJ can get a handful of tracks, assemble them in an order that generates a bit of a flow, get the beats matched, and get the tracks close to the same key. This to me is not being 'amazing technically' it is just being a DJ, it is what the fundamental skill of a DJ is, to play good tracks seamlessly back to back

Yeah that’s correct. Having technical ability means that you have the skills that enable you to be a decent DJ

Quote:

...what else is there aside from that, that makes a DJ 'technically brilliant'.

IMO

A technically brilliant DJ should be able to do the above flawlessly whilst incorporating their own distinct sense of style and attitude into the way they mix.

They should be able to do things that amaze, surprise and thrill the audience. A DJ of a technically brilliant level should do more than just play "a set" of music, they should be able to put on a show.

Some of my favourite “technically brilliant DJs” are Mixmaster Mike, Q Bert, DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist, Greg Wilson & Theo Parrish.
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
ahh cool.

i'll be happy to put my word in here trent

to me, it is how a dj uses the gear he has, what he can make of it to its maximum capabilities and the creativeness and innovativeness of what he does with it.

TECHNICAL skill to me is more on the side of what a dj is doing with the gear he uses. the 'technical'side of things.

ability of track selection and things come into it seperately, then again theres a fine line when the technical ability of loops and effects are selected well to fit in the song.
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Yeah Zab's trickery with the effects and such is a skill seperate from the basics of DJing...but I am talking about DJ's who just mix tracks together...and people describe them as 'technically brilliant'

i wouldnt consider that 'technically' brilliant personally.

perhaps some people refer to the layering, track selection and flow AS WELL as trickery as 'technical ability'.

to me though its mainly just trickery.
Elliot G +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i wouldnt consider that 'technically' brilliant personally.

perhaps some people refer to the layering, track selection and flow AS WELL as trickery as 'technical ability'.

to me though its mainly just trickery.

HUH?
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
I've always though of 'technical ability' from a dj to be when they go beyond the norm of chucking two songs together and use other things like loops and accapellas from a 3rd source, effects, scratching, hot cues etc etc.

amirite?
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<
yeah i agree.
JulesPLees +

Just about sick of it. Totes.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot G

HUH?

lol im with you.

As i said Phil K is to me one of the guys who is the epitome of technical brilliance - keeps the grrove solid - with mad tunes (not a part of technicality i guess) - effects and tricks when required (but not overdone - which i guess comes with experience).

you want the definition - but not the definition
Something Coming.
skattakid +

EPIC holiday is imminent!

Times thanked
<
Is it anything like jarrardscott having "technical ability" because he knows how to post on forums really well (posting, embedding media, quoting), but his content is utter crap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrisajones

mmmm cock ... it's been so long ....

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ahh cool.

i'll be happy to put my word in here trent

to me, it is how a dj uses the gear he has, what he can make of it to its maximum capabilities and the creativeness and innovativeness of what he does with it.

But take away the computer, the DJ is no longer brilliant...his (or her) 'technical ability' is confined within the plastic case of a computer or effects unit...

Quote:

TECHNICAL skill to me is more on the side of what a dj is doing with the gear he uses. the 'technical'side of things.

ability of track selection and things come into it seperately, then again theres a fine line when the technical ability of loops and effects are selected well to fit in the song.

I still just dont see it...putting a 4 bar loop that has had the parameters set by a computer over the top of a track that has been keyed up with a computer program constitutes 'technical skills'?? I wonder what Bach, or Jimi Hendrix, or Keith Moon have to say about that...

Quote:

Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
buy a quitar IMO
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd C

buy a quitar IMO

What?

Quote:

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

But take away the computer, the DJ is no longer brilliant...his (or her) 'technical ability' is confined within the plastic case of a computer or effects unit...

I still just dont see it...putting a 4 bar loop that has had the parameters set by a computer over the top of a track that has been keyed up with a computer program constitutes 'technical skills'?? I wonder what Bach, or Jimi Hendrix, or Keith Moon have to say about that...

choosing what 4 bar loop, what frequency of that loop, when to bring it in, when to bring it out, how to bring it in, how to bring it out, using other effects over those loops etc, changing the size of the loops.

doing all that well would constitute a good technical ability would it not?

i agree though if you just plainly use a loop that is already spot on in time using the program thats not showing your ability.
its how you use the loop and other features that do.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i agree though if you just plainly use a loop that is already spot on in time using the program thats not showing your ability.

Isn't that what you do?

Quote:

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Technically brilliant = Deetron

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Isn't that what you do?

stirrer.

and no, not at all.
flatty88 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It's not about putting one loop over a track. It's about how the DJ utilises and integrates technology into his/her set.

Comparing Hendrix to a DJ is silly.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

stirrer.

and no, not at all.

Now I am confused...you said before that you used the sync feature in Traktor...

So what else do you do with your 4 bar loop after the computer syncs it for you?

To me...bringing a 4 bar loop in to a track is doing nothing...its bringing something in just to say you are bringing something in, it doesn't add anything to a track, it just gives a false sense of 'skill' to what is essentially a skill that has been made incredibly easy.

Quote:

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatty88

It's not about putting one loop over a track. It's about how the DJ utilises and integrates technology into his/her set.

Comparing Hendrix to a DJ is silly.

Sorry...bad comparison...Hendrix has musical ability.

My problem is now track selection, flow, and the basic principal of playing music for the people who are in the club, has been superseded by this false idolism...this 'dont talk to me, you wouldn't understand what I am doing anyway, all these things that I do that nobody notices, are amazing, and you simply just dont get it because you are not as good as me' attitude.

Quote:

Johbremat +

Times thanked
<
I never know how to answer this one.
I'd say technical ability would lie more with the equipment, versus technology.

This might include creative use of an adjustable brake; keeping both channels open while manually rewinding a piece of vinyl to emulate reverse play; keeping both channels open while slowing one deck by the spindle or rim to drop a track one bar, then doing the same on the other deck to align the phrases again (all within the space of a beat/bar).
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Lloyd C +

Times thanked
<
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Now I am confused...you said before that you used the sync feature in Traktor...

So what else do you do with your 4 bar loop after the computer syncs it for you?

To me...bringing a 4 bar loop in to a track is doing nothing...its bringing something in just to say you are bringing something in, it doesn't add anything to a track, it just gives a false sense of 'skill' to what is essentially a skill that has been made incredibly easy.

wtf you're clearly stirring.
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

Theo Parrish.

You're not serious are you? Theo is great, but he is no technically gifted DJ. Probably heard him trainwreck more mixes than anyone!
Dollar. Dollar. Bills. Y'all.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
To me, it relates to a DJ showing a high level of proficiency at using their gear.
When watching Anthony Pappa, the music is not always to my taste, but his technical ability is ALWAYS on show. His ability to beatmatch a track in mere seconds, play the CDJ like a drum machine (with machine-like precision and attention to detail) and utilise the pioneer effects so that they build intensity within his sets leaves me in awe every time. Similarly, Lee Burridge's hold of three decks is pretty damn good.

I personally thoroughly enjoy Theo Parrish's sets (structure, sense of fun and daring, setting the mood - making them turn off all the lights at a nightclub, etc) and sense of personal style, but I would not call him incredibly technically proficient - his mixing is usually pretty damn sloppy, but he does know how to play an isolator and more importantly, a crowd.

To me, having great technical ability means going above and beyond just mixing two tracks for a couple of seconds. It's being able to play a quick mix when required, play a long mix when it's called for, give a scratch or play an accapella when it will amp up the crowd. Three decks and you're on your way, but only really if you do it well.
Consistent key-matching could be considered technical ability, but in the digital world, all it proves is that you got a pirated copy of mixed-in-key.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My problem is now track selection, flow, and the basic principal of playing music for the people who are in the club, has been superseded by this false idolism...this 'dont talk to me, you wouldn't understand what I am doing anyway, all these things that I do that nobody notices, are amazing, and you simply just dont get it because you are not as good as me' attitude.

Too many fuck sticks are worried about how "creative" *groan* they are being instead of remembering that it's supposed to be a party.

Quote:

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Fuck keymixing. Bring back the acid where it was all out of key anyway I say.

Quote:

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie

Too many fuck sticks are worried about how "creative" *groan* they are being instead of remembering that it's supposed to be a party.

This.

It sucks the heart and soul out of a party.

Quote:

TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMPM

You're not serious are you? Theo is great, but he is no technically gifted DJ. Probably heard him trainwreck more mixes than anyone!

yeah must admit, i've been very munted out of my mind both times i've seen him, so I may have missed those train wrecks.

nonetheless he created an amazing mood, unlike any other i've experienced when I saw him

maybe he fits more in the "amazing DJ" catergory rather than the "amazingly technical DJ" category.
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
It was like when minimal was mad. ritchie, ricardo and sven would neck a heap of pills and rock a party whilst being sweaty gurners.

And how did it end up?

SOOOOO CREATIVE

Quote:

flatty88 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Track selection, flow and beatmatching should all be first priority but if they can enhance all that or even create that by using a range of devices (doesn't have to be DVS, could include samples or even vocal accapellas on vinyl) they would have decent technical ability.

Were you referring to Hawtin as having that attitude?

Quote:

This.

It sucks the heart and soul out of a party.

Definitely agree. It's all about the party and creating an awesome vibe.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Beatmatching is one of the easiest things I have learnt.

It's so easy in fact that getting trashed and still pulling a decent set from your anus is not entirely out of the question.

I respect people who can get blind and still play an amazing set. That is technical ability. Doing it straight is too unimpressive.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Signor-Seagull +

Times thanked
<
Its a term coined by people on forums that want to feel more special for mixing other people music together
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
It's what people tell themselves at night before they fall asleep to justify their god like worship of people who mix other peoples music.
Beatport
DMPM +

Ursidae Magnus

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

yeah must admit, i've been very munted out of my mind both times i've seen him, so I may have missed those train wrecks.

nonetheless he created an amazing mood, unlike any other i've experienced when I saw him

maybe he fits more in the "amazing DJ" catergory rather than the "amazingly technical DJ" category.

Yeah, this. He is awesome, but not for his technical prowess.
Dollar. Dollar. Bills. Y'all.
Signor-Seagull +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

It's what people tell themselves at night before they fall asleep to justify their god like worship of people who mix other peoples music.

How many DJ's in the world recieve "God Like Worship" with no production under their belt?

Eddie Halliwell.... who else?
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^Sasha did even prior to his production.
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
It's a sweeping generalisation in a facetious style. Feel free to take it seriously though.
Beatport
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
DJ who keep their mixes and track selections interesting,
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Two me, back when I started DJ and everyone was playing records, the "technically brilliant" ones were the people who threw down flawless, unique, creative, amazing sets time after time...the mixing was always spot on, the EQing sublime, the key always complemented etc.

In that regard, even a house/prog DJ who basically just played track for track, sans scratching etc, could still be technically brilliant...yeah, it's a fundamental of DJing, but fact is, some do it a fuck load better than others, an example that springs to mind would be comparing Digweed to James Lavelle...Diggers (at that time) was always on point...Lavelle, while the bugger is fucking amazing creatively/track selection wise, his technical ability of the fundamentals of DJ is lacking.

Scratching/juggling is a whole different element, which while still technically amazing, isn't a must have for someone to be technically brilliant...if that makes sense?

Nowdays, with every man and his dog being a DJ, and the advancement of the technology behind DJ, it's a much more ambiguous thing to say about a DJ, but to me, personally, it still just comes back to the fact they're fundamentally more betterer than 95% of the other DJs you see.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
<
technical ability is doing everything (and more) everyone has said above, but doing it perfectly...

/thread

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
cut the mid range ... drop the bass
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideshow Rod

technical ability is doing everything (and more) everyone has said above, but doing it perfectly...

/thread

So technically ability is just being a good DJ?

It seems that 'technical ability' means that you do what you are meant to be doing...only the amount of shit DJ's out there means when someone is good at DJing they are considered amazing?

To me, I think the term 'technically brilliant' is a term that is chucked around about DJ's when they play boring shit music, but they mix it all together well...to me that is not brilliant at all, its boring...you are mssing 99% of being a good DJ, the fundamental aspect of playing good music...

Quote:

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
I stand by my original answer though: Deetron on 3 decks = technically brilliant.

Quote:

jarrardscott +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signor-Seagull

How many DJ's in the world recieve "God Like Worship" with no production under their belt?

Eddie Halliwell.... who else?

you could take it that way.

or you could take it as him being a shit producer with a popular radio show
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

Beatmatching is one of the easiest things I have learnt.

It's so easy in fact that getting trashed and still pulling a decent set from your anus is not entirely out of the question.

I respect people who can get blind and still play an amazing set. That is technical ability. Doing it straight is too unimpressive.

Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »