Vinyl Practice Methods

Tools
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

RK i see what you mean with the one can monitoring, but do you ever come accross a system where the main or booth speakers lag behind the headphones by a tiny bit? i found that was sometimes the case and fucked me up with the one-can thing. are there ways around that?

this is exactly why i learnt to mix soley in the cans, i do take the cans off for a split second to hear how its sounding in the club (because their EQing in place might be too wild and you wouldnt hear it in your headphones).. but yeah, i think djing in the cans is the only way
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
mixing in the cans is horrible, not fun at all. Why bother even having monitors if that is how you prefer to mix?

It's almost like, going to the big day out because you want to see the silent disco
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazthedominant

although my right channel is slightly quieter than my left channel.. which i suspect as a fault in the mixer.

it could also be the anti-skating setting not done correctly. remember the video posted in this thread - if the anti-skating is wrong, the needle will sit on one side of the groove instead of in the middle, and hence you get one speaker louder than the other.

anyway yeah with the can mixing, i'm not keen on doing complete mixes in the cans either, but certainly matching is done on both cans with me, but probably just need more practice so all of that stuff is like second nature.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

RK i see what you mean with the one can monitoring, but do you ever come accross a system where the main or booth speakers lag behind the headphones by a tiny bit? i found that was sometimes the case and fucked me up with the one-can thing. are there ways around that?

Yeah, that shit sucks...or when the only monitor is on your left, and you're used to having your left ear covered, listing with your right which means you're getting the house system mudding up your mixing...mix in your cans, or just wing it/tilt your head/move the can off your ear a bit to give the headphone speaker some distance from your ear canal, then turn the headphone volume up a bit to compensate.

Never had a huge issue with it really, most places I've played have decent positioned monitors, those that don't, I just struggle as I actually hate mixing in my cans, both ears covered, cueing both or split cueing!

Those situ's will be the few I completely remove my cans, and just listen to the speakers, not as accurate, but does the job, sorta
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

mixing in the cans is horrible, not fun at all. Why bother even having monitors if that is how you prefer to mix?

It's almost like, going to the big day out because you want to see the silent disco

fuck yeah silent disco!

haha nah, i do take my cans off, but during the actually beatmatching process and all, i find it alot more intriquete and detailed. of course i love the sound of music playing loud as fuck in the club!
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

it could also be the anti-skating setting not done correctly. remember the video posted in this thread - if the anti-skating is wrong, the needle will sit on one side of the groove instead of in the middle, and hence you get one speaker louder than the other.

i did think of that, but you know what, these stantons have no anti skate mechanism LOL
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
I always thought that the djs that mix in their cans, were the ones that weren't allowed to play loud music at home.
Never realised that some people actually prefer it!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Different strokes for different folks, but yeah, I agree.

Though really, I mix like that as it's how someone taught me...would mix in cans if that's how the guy who taught me mixed.

I think monitor cueing/mixing when the setup is right for it is by far and away the best way to mix, lets you hear what's happening a lot better, plus don't have to have the headphone volume up too loud as to drown out the monitors/house system etc

But yeah, no real right or wrong, if it works for you, cool, do it!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I always thought that the djs that mix in their cans, were the ones that weren't allowed to play loud music at home.
Never realised that some people actually prefer it!

i'm sure my neighbours don't like the loud music. but they solved that problem without my help. i see a big for sale sign out there...
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Can someone please explain to me step by step what mixing in your cans is ?

Do you start of with the headphone cue split, then as you bring the track in, switch to headphone master split and mix the track in the whole time with your headphones on ?
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
for me, i just have the headphones on, listening to the track that is playing out loud and
also listening to track i am cueing. i guess its called mixing in the cans because you dont have one ear listening to the monitor/booth speaker. i find instead of listening to the booth, you can avoid any sound system delays.
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

Can someone please explain to me step by step what mixing in your cans is ?

Do you start of with the headphone cue split, then as you bring the track in, switch to headphone master split and mix the track in the whole time with your headphones on ?

my mixer has a fader for the headphones, otherwise they would probably switch between master and cue
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

haha nah, i do take my cans off, but during the actually beatmatching process and all, i find it alot more intriquete and detailed. of course i love the sound of music playing loud as fuck in the club!

Funny, I hate it because I find I can't get enough detail/differentiant the tracks properly.

Do you just PFL both tracks, or Cue one and engage the Split Cue or those mix/master dials?

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i find instead of listening to the booth, you can avoid any sound system delays.

I think people get mentally hung up on this...speed of sound is 340M PER SECOND...meaning the monitor would have to be 21.25M away from you just to give a 1/16 of a second delay. It's a psychological thing...even a 1/32 second delay means the speaker is 10M away from you, which would be impossible to mix off...even at 5M, that's only a 1/64 of a second delay!

Anytime it's inside a couple of metres from you, your brain actually isn't that amazing to be able to notice a delay minscle.

Plus, what do you do when faced with a mixer which doesn't have Split Cue/the mixer/master knob??

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
i figured it would be a mental thing, but in clubs without any booth speakers, it can be a nightmare trying to beat match using the clubs speakers, where sounds may be rebounding off walls across the other side of the room etc. thats what i mean.
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

Plus, what do you do when faced with a mixer which doesn't have Split Cue/the mixer/master knob??

i've only been faced with this once, back in the day. but nowadays, honestly, if you turn up to a club its most likely got a decent mixer with a variety of mixing options.

but in this case, i have used a mixer that only had the option to listen to one track in the headphones. i like to make sure everythings perfect, so i just flicked the switch left and right to the tempo and made sure everything was falling in place. the switch became a metronome hahaha
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I think people get mentally hung up on this...speed of sound is 340M PER SECOND...meaning the monitor would have to be 21.25M away from you just to give a 1/16 of a second delay. It's a psychological thing...even a 1/32 second delay means the speaker is 10M away from you, which would be impossible to mix off...even at 5M, that's only a 1/64 of a second delay!

Anytime it's inside a couple of metres from you, your brain actually isn't that amazing to be able to notice a delay minscle.

it's usually not the speaker distance that causes slight delay, its the club amps/eq etc
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i think the delay is caused by the wiring, sound processing and all the stuff that goes on between the mixer, the sound rack, and the speakers. all this causes delays, i suppose only small ones but sometimes you can hear the difference!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Arrr, right, got ya...hadn't thought of that

Quote:

i figured it would be a mental thing, but in clubs without any booth speakers, it can be a nightmare trying to beat match using the clubs speakers, where sounds may be rebounding off walls across the other side of the room etc. thats what i mean.

Yeah, for sure...makes it tough, but I've still always managed it, somehow!

dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
hahaha i learnt my lesson. one time i was just mixing from the clubs speakers and i couldve sworn i was down @ the races. so much horse galloping going on. hahahaha never again
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

instead of touching the platter, try and speed up/slow down using the center spindle

Really laborious method that - I'm far too lazy!
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yo kiwi, there are a few possible problems here, one is the use of digital processing causing delays (all A-->D and D-->A transfers take time, the lower the samplerate, the more delay), the other main one is not that there is a massive initial delay off the monitor, but rather that the reflections are just as loud/louder than the initial sound by the time they hit you (ie. the monitor isn't facing you properly).

I played like this (the second reason) a few weeks back and it fucked up most of my mixes (took me most of the set to finally realise. Why didn't anyone mention that my mixing was shit?!) - about 3/4 of the way through I cued both channels rather than just one and realised I was about a 1/32 beat out of sync. Awesome, I'd been galloping ALL my mixes.
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee

Really laborious method that - I'm far too lazy!

Haha plus if you tried it on a stanton st150 you'd lose a finger
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

ricky_radar +

Times thanked
<
I mix in my cans a bit - Only because I usually mix late at night and I live in an appartment block. Zero monitor action. I basically listen to a train wreck (which sucks serious ass) in the cans until I get it in sync. My mixer only has on/off switches for the cueing so I have learned to use the cue volume & channel trim to diferenciate between tracks etc. I have learned to mix well in the cans but I can still mix as good out of cans - Habit has fu(ked me though coz I noticed I used the cans heaps when I played friday night.

@ daz. My tips with records.
- find first beat (or cue point) and hold the record at the edge... gives more play on th beat and is easier to hold still without the platter stopping.
- when speeding up (if not pitch riding) - place your finger super close to the center spindal with pressure and push the whole platter forward - not just the record. no matter how hard you do it, its hard as fuck to push it to hard (compared to further out from the centre)
- Slowing down (if not pitch riding) - you can pinch the center pin thing on the platter (I never do it though?) or what i do is touch the edge of the plater super soft AND super quick... never hold it on!... only ever do it on the 4th beat (try keep it to 16 or 32 though) because its harder to notice coz of the change in track. NEVER touch the record at all if there is a constant note in that section of track or vocals EVER (will ALWAYS be noticable). Thats why tech house easy is piss to mix compared to deep house.
- EVERY time you touch the record to speed up or slow down compensate with the pitch fader too. I see CDJ users just use the jog wheel during the mix to keep it in time instead of moving the pitch.

- when pitch riding... you understand the concept, yeah? you use the pitch slider instead of touching the record... right? So basically, with touching a record (ill just talk slowing down) you touch it to slow it down a lot and quickly then you move the pitch so its at the right speed. Soooo just using the pitch to get that effect you need to move the pitch super far and super quick like a stab to slow it down alot and fast then move it back to almost the original position (where ever you think it needs to be). gives you the same effect but a more gradual movement like the jog. you always need to over compensate then pull it back other wise your just speeding up the record to catch up to the beat and eventually it'll over take the other (which is where your 10 sec mixing is coming in guarenteed.)

hope my drunken ramblings help

p.s I like brackets.
...THAT KEEN!
Slo-mo * House * Disco
Hollywood Hotel 30th July!!
http://soundcloud.com/ricky_radar/radar-may-2010
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
thanks for that ricky! ill read over your notes later tonight and put them into practice, made it alot clearer about what i should be doing. so cheers mate.

last night i got into the swing of it and managed to mix some house. my real passion is hip hop and rap, and i think this will be the hardest to get a hang of. but you know, practice makes perfect. dont really expect to be the best in a day, dont really care if im not the best in the end, as long as im comfortable spinning vinyl
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
When I'd only been mixing for about 3-4 weeks I went to see Derrick May...nice small club, could get right up close and watch him mix...I almost cried as I realised how much I sucked...check this vid...about a min in he drops the record, inside 10 seconds from that release, he mixes it in...

Media Player

...BAM! Who needs to pre-cue? He just hot mixes like this every single time.

Oh, and btw, I found mixing like that to be VERY good practice...sure, it sounds like shit when you're bad at it, but so long as you're not trying to record a demo, or impress you mates that are over, it's stella practice for pitch riding/holding a mix...drop, get it approximate as fast as you can, bring that bitch in and just hold it!

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 12-May-10 at 08:57am

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
I felt bad enough about my dj'ing exploits hearing you guys talking about playing in nightclubs and the problems that can come from monitors, having never even set foot in a dj booth in a club, and then you go on do this RK. How does a rookie build any confidence haha
macc4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip26

How does a rookie build any confidence haha

shitload of practice. Put in an hour or two a day for 2 years and you could be mixing like derrick

if you want gigs, don't worry about mixing, just spend your time adding people to facebook
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
lol...sad but true, the great local DJs aren't always the ones getting gigs, just the ones who know the right people, put in the hard yards selling tickets/promoting

Whip26, don't feel bad, use it as inspiration, a place you'd like to get to one day...practice practice practice.

When I watched Mr May mixing like that I was fucking gobsmacked, jaw on the floor just standing there dumbfounded...but now I can mix like that, sorta, kinda, naah, not really

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

shitload of practice. Put in an hour or two a day for 2 years and you could be mixing like derrick

if you want gigs, don't worry about mixing, just spend your time adding people to facebook

An hour or two is pretty easy to do, i will be like "just have a quick go" and come out the other end three hours later going shit where did the time go! having said that a lot of it is me doing a few good mixes, train wrecking, swearing and then wishing I could mix like david guetta on sunrise.

I can believe getting a gig is about facebook, some of the people dj'ing look and sound like its there first time ever!
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Promoters have to make money these days my friend to stay viable. It used to be promoters doing the promoting and DJ's doing the DJ'ing. It's all so inbred now that you can't tell them apart.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
"Sure you can DJ here...dependant on how many friends can you bring?"

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
2 weeks after I got my decks I got offered to DJ at one of the main drum and bass clubs in Perth on a Friday night, only coz my sister was going out with the promoter lol

I didn't even own 10 records hahaha
Spoiler:

Quote:

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

macc4 +

Times thanked
<
how old is your sister?
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

2 weeks after I got my decks I got offered to DJ at one of the main drum and bass clubs in Perth on a Friday night, only coz my sister was going out with the promoter lol

I didn't even own 10 records hahaha

Where was that?? Did you take the offer? I am thinking that there are a lot of politics behind dj'ing that I wasn't aware of!
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I am thinking that there are a lot of politics behind dj'ing that I wasn't aware of!

hehe yep. i guess it's best to just be prepared to accept this as a fact. don't be disappointed when you realise how much bullshit there is to deal with.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
dude, i'll tell you now, start networking. hardly any places will keep you unless youre pulling people. you could be the best dj but if the club is empty they'll reconsider having you there..
i never ever do that whole facebook invite bullshit and it ended up being the end of a club residency i had for just under 2 years..
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

dude, i'll tell you now, start networking. hardly any places will keep you unless youre pulling people. you could be the best dj but if the club is empty they'll reconsider having you there..
i never ever do that whole facebook invite bullshit and it ended up being the end of a club residency i had for just under 2 years..

That sucks balls. I deal with a lot of politics in my day to day job so I can easily cut through that shit. Should I get a good mix all sorted and start a facebook page with a mix on it and then try and get people as fans so on and so forth before trying to get a gig somewhere?
dazthedominant +

rapmaster 3000

Times thanked
<
i would say that'd be a good idea. i mean you can goto clubs and hand in mixtapes, but i think it'd be better to also have a facebook or myspace page. something where people can contact you, comment on your work etc.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

That sucks balls. I deal with a lot of politics in my day to day job so I can easily cut through that shit. Should I get a good mix all sorted and start a facebook page with a mix on it and then try and get people as fans so on and so forth before trying to get a gig somewhere?

If you're serious about gigging, yes...the sooner the better...though not so soon as to link people to a mix set which sucks balls!

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If you're serious about gigging, yes...the sooner the better...though not so soon as to link people to a mix set which sucks balls!

Dam, i guess i will be toiling away for decades then, i am a bit of a perfectionist and even if it sounds pretty good I can still pick it to pieces about how bad it is. Well the steps would be to think of a dj name and actually record and then create a page and invite everyone i know on earth. Any advise for the mix and the name people?
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Start producing for an entry way, but even after having a shit load of songs signed and even played by international DJ's don't expect to get gigs. Unless you get into the beatport top 10, but even that doesn't guarantee shit.

You still have to work for it. Start making some shitty house songs that are played on Nova, that's your best bet. Fidget jack is getting alot of exposure as well as TV Rock syle "prog" with half assed vocals.

Also define your own style, play what you're passionate about otherwise people will see right through your ruse + you'll get bored of bashing your head against a brick wall for something mediocre. Choose a name that suits you or else just use your own name.
Beatport
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
slicy i reckon what you say rings true but only because of home town syndrome. if you moved overseas (and i mean YOU personally) you would get on to the european circuit pretty quickly. so do it!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
macc4 +

Times thanked
<
in soviet russia, spicy would be famous
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Any advise for the mix and the name people?

I just went with my actual name, all the DJs I aspire to do, so if it's good for them, it's good enough for me.

As for a mix, there's different schools of thought...

1) a mix for the punters, a mad mash up of huge thumbing known tracks
2) a mix for the purists, more laid back, obscure tracks people haven't heard before, not anthemic, focusing on flow, progression, musical key

...most promoters have been in the scene a while, they won't want to even hear a mix which is Boyz Noize, Guetta, Pryda, Angello and Ingrosso et all, rinse, repeat like random punters who aren't as knowledgeable will like...and similarly, it's only the purist punters and other DJs who apperciate the more obscure mix.

Good advice from Slicy, don't take gigs playing commercial electro-house just for the sake of a gig if you're not really into that music...well, you can, sure, it's your life...but I'd avoid it...it's hard to force passion/good sets playing music you're not passionate about.

Don't sweat the minor flaws in a mix, the slight beat slips (trainwrecks, sweat them! haha), most people don't notice, flow, programming, track selection, nice levels/EQ'ing are way more important...but yeah, you still need to get from A to B smoothly, but it doesn't have to sound like a commercially release mix CD

pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Where was that?? Did you take the offer? I am thinking that there are a lot of politics behind dj'ing that I wasn't aware of!

Bar Open,

But yeah, I would have done it if it was a crappy little pub or something, but people have to pay like $10 and its a proper club so i didn't want to trainwreck for an hour and ruin the vibe

Its not so much politics, its just easier for people to put on gigs with their mates. The best always rise to the top anyway

What style u play man ?
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

in mother russia, spicy would be famous

haha! nah but i'm just saying - kultrun's music production skills really show, and a lot of people overseas appreciate good music and production. it's just here that the market is tiny in comparison, and there's not enough punters out there to support this kinda stuff. much international love, but not as much local.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I just went with my actual name, all the DJs I aspire to do, so if it's good for them, it's good enough for me

As for a mix, there's different schools of thought...

1) a mix for the punters, a mad mash up of huge thumbing known tracks
2) a mix for the purists, more laid back, obscure tracks people haven't heard before, not anthemic, focusing on flow, progression, musical key

My real name doesn't flow like Carl Cox, Derrick May and the likes so I am looking to perhaps think of something clever.

Would it make sense to put 1 mix of each kind on the facebook page to draw attention from both punters and purists?

Quote:

What style u play man ?

I like to play dirty electro, electro house, funky house and been dabbling with a little bit of trance and DnB (only because those records came with my turntables but i don't mind them so much now!)
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

slicy i reckon what you say rings true but only because of home town syndrome. if you moved overseas (and i mean YOU personally) you would get on to the european circuit pretty quickly. so do it!

It's on the cards
Beatport
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My real name doesn't flow like Carl Cox, Derrick May and the likes so I am looking to perhaps think of something clever.

Would it make sense to put 1 mix of each kind on the facebook page to draw attention from both punters and purists?

I like to play dirty electro, electro house, funky house and been dabbling with a little bit of trance and DnB (only because those records came with my turntables but i don't mind them so much now!)

Yeah i have no idea about electro or house or whateva, just hang around those nights, eventually you'll bump into someone running the show and they'll give u a shot

I don't know why people call it sucking up, i find that i like 99% of people who are into dnb, just coz you can talk for hours and hours about it lol
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

« Previous Thread Next Thread »