The DJ Booth

Who still uses vinyl ?

Page 2 of 3
  Tools
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I've still got few hundred records in the shelves, but really don't play them much any more....I've ripped them all and generally if I want to play them I will just use traktor, which I tend not to even use the vinyl control anymore
cdj2000 as a midi contoller has replaced the dvs most of the time

as for buying new vinyl, very rarely, to me, 20 bucks vs 2 bucks for a digital download I can have instant where as waiting a week? I'm impatient, I want it now
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<
Vinyl here or Scratch Live.

I can't/wont use CD Player ever.

Direct manipulation of the sound is where it's at.
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
still have a strong passion for collecting vinyl. The high price keeps the quality good though. by the time I'm done making sure it's an epic track in store, the damn thing has worn out

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

iainkek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj deza View Post

I was just wondering witch dj's still use vinyl these days after seeing mr mill's hybrid release got me thinking do any big name or even underground dj's still use vinyl ?
the only ones i know of is dj bone i think mr mill's still uses it sometimes and maybe sven vath correct me if i'm wrong.

note; this is not a cd vs vinyl debate

but cds r better they r easy 2 transport and u can just burn mp3's that you dl from limewire straight to cd!!!!
shadow23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by iainkek View Post

but cds r better they r easy 2 transport and u can just burn mp3's that you dl from limewire straight to cd!!!!

I reckon hard drives are better than cd's (if you have a DVS setup). One portable hdd gives you thousands of cd's that fits in your pocket. Of course you need a laptop too but they are not bulky to drag along when you're doing gigs (better than carrying crates of vinyl or cd's than can get easily damaged plus no burning needed).
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

not sure if you read my note at the bottom of my post this is not a vinyl vs cd debate i dont really care
k10k +

A Pioneer

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy View Post

as for buying new vinyl, very rarely, to me, 20 bucks vs 2 bucks for a digital download I can have instant where as waiting a week? I'm impatient, I want it now

Don't know where you get your vinyl, but i buy mine off chemical/redeye, costs $10-12 inc delivery, which gives you two songs per 12", which also has resale value of say $5-8, compared to a digital buy of those two tracks which costs between $3-5. Digital is pretty much completely disposable and has no worth. So its not really that expensive when you look at it inc resale (the way I try and convince myself anyhow lol)
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

i just assumed this was a troll post?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<

Quote:

nice troll.

when i bought decks i started with serato, and then started to buy vinyl and got addicted. i can justify spending the extra money, because i know i am buying something tangible that i will have for a long time. the mp3s that i bought years i go are stuck in some folder problably never to be played again.

imo nothing else compared to playing real vinyl. even serato and traktor can't replicate it exactly, as you are still playing a digital file.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts
it's too shit to be a troll, either a late gen Y or citizen 2.0
shadow23 +

Times thanked
<
Is there such a place where you can get a vinyl cut to what track you want? Here in Australia I meant. That would be awesome if such a place exist in Oz.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
doesn't make much sense, if it's your tune, sure, but not economical unless doing large amounts. Someone else's tune, no, it would violate copywrite without permission.
You could buy one of these if you had the money http://www.ciao.co.uk/Vestax_VRX2000...utter__6682810
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

Someone else's tune, no, it would violate copywrite without permission

it doesn't stop bootlegs/whitelabels
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
i was going to mention the vestax vinyl cutter not sure if they still make them but i wouldn't mind one though, imagine cutting your own disc's fuck that would be sweet........
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas View Post

it doesn't stop bootlegs/whitelabels

like, they just take a cd and press it to vinyl?
You are talking about people with access and knowledge of big dollar machinery, that know how to master a track for vinyl. If he has to ask, then no, he not going to be able to do that!
Look at the runout groove messages/codes when they have them, often they come from the same person/place that is making the non bootleg vinyl
Whitelabels often precede the actual release, only difference is no sticker.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<
um, bootleg pressings of records do happen, and yes it is illegal. in some cases they press the record without even being mastered, or even make a recording off the original vinyl. thats why boots generally sound crap.

edit:

this was just last week on Motor City Drum Ensembles facebook:

"Some bastards are bootlegging me! Just got word that theres gonna be a whitelabel with Raw Cuts 2 and "Prayer" of the Cd compilation, please spread the word that its an illegal 12" and by buying it you would support some lame pirating fucks making money with my art"
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Bootleg is an umbrella term for illicit/unofficial/unlicensed recordings. Sometimes they come from the artists, without the label's knowledge.
Sometimes they are illegal, but mastered correctly as well. Plenty sound great.
If they sound like shit, don't buy them.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<
nice backpedal
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
no backpedal, those posts are symbiotic
baax +

Times thanked
<
Hello Deza old boy, i wish you were up in Brisbane the other week mate, played a heap of old tekno vinyl, would have been right up your ally!

I still buy it mate, but only the timeless stuff, i play heaps at home.

Ive got two kids now, they love records and want me to play them all the time, especially Maiden!
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
shadow23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

doesn't make much sense, if it's your tune, sure, but not economical unless doing large amounts. Someone else's tune, no, it would violate copywrite without permission.
You could buy one of these if you had the money http://www.ciao.co.uk/Vestax_VRX2000...utter__6682810

Oh well it was wishful thinking in my part. I was hoping you can go to a store where you buy the tracks you want (therefore no copyright infringement) and they put the track on vinyl for you.
djrandy +

Times thanked
<
who distributes vinyl in AUS these days? Does anyone know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

if there's a girl passed out, it generally means she wants you, go for it

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadow23 View Post

Oh well it was wishful thinking in my part. I was hoping you can go to a store where you buy the tracks you want (therefore no copyright infringement) and they put the track on vinyl for you.

believe it or not, shitloads of music still gets a vinyl release of some description. Some genres more than others. It's mainly just the net labels that don't.
You may find pretty much everything you want on vinyl, just not overnight. There has not been many tracks that I have wanted that I couldn't find.
At the same time, there are plenty of vinyl tracks I have that can't be found online (and hopefully never will be)
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

Hello Deza old boy, i wish you were up in Brisbane the other week mate, played a heap of old tekno vinyl, would have been right up your ally!

I still buy it mate, but only the timeless stuff, i play heaps at home.

Ive got two kids now, they love records and want me to play them all the time, especially Maiden!

Mate would have loved to have had a mix with ya been so long, i still love pulling out all my old tek and giving it a bash i never get sick of good quality tunes.
The last lot i bought was when vinyl warning shut down was slim pickings by the time i ordered but so cheap, i have only just got a discogs acc so i am just going for the tunes i was never able to find i could go crazy but cash is a bit tighter these days gone are the days of dropping 2 or 300 on a fresh batch of wax .
Iv'e got a little fella now (2 months) so i havent been able to play for a while but i hope he starts going through my collection when he gets older would be stoked, awsome your kids love maiden did you see them when they were last out i went it was fucken sick
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire View Post

damn straight, supporting London Elektricity the other night and there was no cd's in sight all night (i was quite impressed tbh). 2 dj's used serato but both myself and LE were on 100% wax.

dj hype was another touring dj that was 100% vinyl too, not enough of them imo. its way to easy for everyone to have the latest and greatest song these days, i would love to see the majority of digital dj's do a day of crate diving to pick up tracks.

yew! Yeah if i aint just bought a new mixer i would have come along to this. I aint seen anyone apart from you play wax out in ages, so it would have been madto see LE rocking dub plates!

i love my wax but am pretty sure im going to get tractor after tax time. I still recon I will buy wax though. Man going to record fair and digging and finding gold its so rewarding when you get back home and chuck on that dope shit. I like to attempt to play multi genre sets (still a rookie) and specially when a bit trashed i think about how much easier tractor would be. But then i look at my spinning black radness and im happy.

cutting it up on wax is also heaps of fun!!!
meh..
shadow23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

believe it or not, shitloads of music still gets a vinyl release of some description. Some genres more than others. It's mainly just the net labels that don't.
You may find pretty much everything you want on vinyl, just not overnight. There has not been many tracks that I have wanted that I couldn't find.
At the same time, there are plenty of vinyl tracks I have that can't be found online (and hopefully never will be)

Ok but that's why I was day dreaming about my fantasy music store because like you just mentioned that some vinyl you own are hard to find. I have a couple of friends who have some vinyl that you can't get or hard to find. So it just puts me off buying anymore vinyl.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
I think you misunderstood, I didn't word it well.
I said can't be found online ---> meaning there is no digital copies of those records.ie. No mp3's, no wav's or cd's available. Just vinyl.

If it is on vinyl you should be able to find reference to it online somewhere, doesn't mean you can download a digi copy/rip of it though
shadow23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I said can't be found online ---> meaning there is no digital copies of those records.ie. No mp3's, no wav's or cd's available. Just vinyl.

If it is on vinyl you should be able to find reference to it online somewhere, doesn't mean you can download a digi copy/rip of it though

Now I get ya. Now there's another thing I have to order vinyl from overseas with some of the tracks I want. Why oh why Australia doesn't sell more vinyl? It's probably because the lack demand for it but just the same I wish there was more vinyl around in good old oz.
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub View Post

i just assumed this was a troll post?

Thought the same, started on a reply re being a scumbag but thought I'd let it ride!
d_ess +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by underhousearrest View Post

still have a strong passion for collecting vinyl. The high price keeps the quality good though. by the time I'm done making sure it's an epic track in store, the damn thing has worn out

Same here, still want to play the black stuff, just physically it feels nice using those techniques, but due to cost, the track does have to be something i could play a lot.
Balls Deep +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,918 Times in 2,021 Posts

Only about 10-15 records a month but I know them all inside out

My CDJ is in its box in the cupboard..... wasn't feeling the digital at all
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Nice
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon_Murphy View Post

I still buy vinyl and still mix it a lot at home but these days half the time the decks at clubs etc are either shit house or aren't even there to begin with so pretty much have to rely on CDs which is a shame because I prefer vinyl.

Same here. It's getting rarer to see well serviced turntables in clubs these days - sometimes its not worth taking the risk...

Although - i have a rotating guest slot at Little Peninsula in the Melb CBD which only has turntables. It's great being made to play entirely on vinyl
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
nice to hear of a club with no cdj's, i am guessing they dont book anyone that dosent own vinyl !!!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0rdz View Post

Although - i have a rotating guest slot at Little Peninsula in the Melb CBD which only has turntables. It's great being made to play entirely on vinyl

Never heard of it...
http://www.littlepeninsula.com.au/
...that the place? Where exactly do they set decks up? Assuming from the size, you're not playing "clubbing" music, more downbeat/funk etc?

Oh, and Pheonix on Flinders St only has decks, too...shit mixer though!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Hey guys i think its also important to remember that heaps of these touring DJs who you see playing vinyl, actually own/run record labels

eg. LDN Elek = Hospital
Andy C - RAM
Hype - Ganja/Tru playaz
Friction - Shogun

im vinyl all the way, but just worth noting !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
I gave up trying to learn vinyl. I've got a CDJ400 lined up after tax time and just need to buy another so I can learn to mix digitally. Will have to rip a bunch of my favourite records though, seeing as they aren't available digitally and may never be.

As for the op's question:

Mark N (Newcastle, Melb based now) still uses 100% vinyl, and still does tricks in every set. I know of a few guys overseas such as Mental Wreckage who plays at big events (25,000+ people) and still uses mostly vinyl.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

I gave up trying to learn vinyl..

weak. What were you having trouble with?
d_ess +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I gave up trying to learn vinyl. I've got a CDJ400 lined up after tax time and just need to buy another so I can learn to mix digitally. Will have to rip a bunch of my favourite records though, seeing as they aren't available digitally and may never be.

As for the op's question:

Mark N (Newcastle, Melb based now) still uses 100% vinyl, and still does tricks in every set. I know of a few guys overseas such as Mental Wreckage who plays at big events (25,000+ people) and still uses mostly vinyl.

sven vath too is vinyl only i read recently....desyn masiello, though one of the first big names to go all CD initially, now has one 1200 specified on his rider (based on what i saw at SOS).
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

weak. What were you having trouble with?

Just in general. I slowly learned to beat match, then I took a break cause I had a couple of depressing sessions and after that I just cant seem to do it at all now. It doesn't help that the stuff I mix is quite difficult, especially as a learner. My main issue is not being able to decipher on which track is faster than the other.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Just in general. I slowly learned to beat match, then I took a break cause I had a couple of depressing sessions and after that I just cant seem to do it at all now. It doesn't help that the stuff I mix is quite difficult, especially as a learner. My main issue is not being able to decipher on which track is faster than the other.

The medium (i.e. vinyl) isn't the problem.

All of your troubles can be fixed with good ol' fashioned practice. If you can't dedicate yourself to the time & energy required then you might be better off to pursue other hobbies.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i find the easiest way to do it is to hum/sing/dance along to the incoming track in your cans, ur dj brain will automatically desire to have everything in sync.

you have a dj brain when your in the car and you force yourself to believe that the world around you is in perfect sync with Laurent Garnier's "Gananmankoudji"

Quote:

I absolutely cannot find online refs to Prydz n angello's Woz not Woz Version 2 and Robbie Rivera's Funk-aTron Club vocal mix.

I am so proud to own both on vinyl

Soundcloud

Quote:

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Yeah, but you are retarded.

Look on discogs, (it took me about 12 seconds to find each of them)

http://www.discogs.com/R-Rivera-Groo.../master/107925

http://www.discogs.com/Eric-Prydz-St...release/314386
omnipresence +

hocus pocus by focus

Times thanked
<
Discogs ftw.
Info // Soundcloud // Facebook // Twitter
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
whoah, it's there. I'm buying that last copy of the rivera track just so I have a gig copy and a home copy and so no other fag can get their filthy paws on it. I cbf buy 41 copies of woz not woz though... 1 extra will do.

*of course I don't seriously think I'm the only one with a copy of either of those tracks, it's just that the rivera is old and probably won't get pressed again. And anyone who does have it, most probs won't play it out. and cbf hunting for a digi version.

peace out.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Last edited by underhousearrest: 22-Jun-10 at 01:22am

J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Never heard of it...
http://www.littlepeninsula.com.au/
...that the place? Where exactly do they set decks up? Assuming from the size, you're not playing "clubbing" music, more downbeat/funk etc?

Oh, and Pheonix on Flinders St only has decks, too...shit mixer though!

Thats it mate! They set the decks up on the actual bar. They're set up in a coffin roadcase and positioned right next to the coffee machine towards the front of the venue - its pretty squished but makes for a really awesome vibe. Your not hidden in a corner or anything, right out in the open where everyone sits to drink.

They have an open reign on what you can play - but i mainly play hiphop, breaks, and some liquid. Few of the other djs that play there do everything from house to blarring dnb. Anything goes really

Pic from last time I played:
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
djrandy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm assuming your cdjs have BPM on it. Put duct tape over the bpm section so you don't rely on it and practice like that.
Once you learn how to mix with your ears rather than the hardware, you'll learn how to mix with vinyl!
And from there you can learn how to mix without your ears, and instead the VU's on the mixer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

if there's a girl passed out, it generally means she wants you, go for it

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Seconding sentiments about your vinyl mixing, Derelict...whether it's slipping coz it's too fast or too slow does take a while to pic and can still cause you headaches for ages with correcting the wrong way, but it's not the medium...beat mixing is beat mixing, whether on decks or CDJs, don't rely on beat counters as A) they're never right and B_ they're training you to be a bad DJ...practice more, use your ears...and tap your foot/nod your head in time to the beat playing, drop new track, get it into that tempo...easy!

OH, and PS - what makes you think the stuff you're playing is difficult? What are you playing, breakcore or some shit? Dubstep? Remember, even those broken beat genres still have an underlying 4/4 to mix from...focus on the 2 and 4 beat snare/high hat snap...short, sharp sound, keep those in time and everything else is in time...bass can be deceptive due to the lenght of the sound.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Agreed, and to add to that, every time you rip a vinyl exclusive you are cheapening it's worth. Even more so if you share it around.
Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I hope your joking...

I still use both - probably 65/35 (vinyl) depending on what gig I am playing...

Last edited by Sideshow Rod: 22-Jun-10 at 11:45am

Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »