The DJ Booth

Legal Music

Closed thread
  Tools
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<
Legal Music
How many of you DJ's actually buy your music from online stores, Itunes, sanity ect.

And how many of you illegally download music Limewire, BitTorrents, ect.

I myself most download music using Orbit (grabs the music media from websites that allow you to freely listen to it) , not techniclly illegal), finding them on youtube then using http://www.clipconverter.cc/ to grab and convert the music at 320kbps in high quality/HD then downloading it, which is also not exactly illegal.
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<
if you really think ripping music of Youtube is actually 320kbps you really need your head checked....

and yes, it is illegal to play it out
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjkt View Post

if you really think ripping music of Youtube is actually 320kbps you really need your head checked....

and yes, it is illegal to play it out

it's actually 234kbps and up for 720p and over HD video's.
Some songs can be grabbed at 320kbps, depending on uploaders quality.

And NO i didn't know it was illegal to download music from youtube (even though streaming it is downloading it to your computer Temp and playing it via Adobe Flash Player). I mostly use it to get those remix's from non-commercials dj's.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Sounds illegal to me. Where illegal equals copyright infringing acquisition, duplication and distribution. Just cos you're clever don't mean you ain't breaking the law.

I also doubt you'll get much of an honest hands-up-who's-a-pirate session.
mortarman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj-romtek View Post

How many of you DJ's actually buy your music from online stores, Itunes, sanity ect.

I myself most download music using Orbit (grabs the music media from websites that allow you to freely listen to it) , not techniclly illegal), finding them on youtube then using http://www.clipconverter.cc/ to grab and convert the music at 320kbps in high quality/HD then downloading it, which is also not exactly illegal.

illegal. why do you think you need 3rd party apps to do this sort of shit? just buy your music like every1 else. people like you really p*** me off. U R A TIGHT ARSE.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Yep. Prob not the wisest move to announce it to the world, eh?
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
Its a massive pet hate of mine people who regularly download illegal music (especially to dj with) i have spent thousands of dollars building up my music collection over the years and now to see this new generation of kids who wont spend any money on music but will happily download illegal music to fill up their laptops and i pods really pisses me off.
I am not saying all the new generation illegally download their tunes but i reckon a fair few do.
So to answer your question no i don't, sometimes i even buy the vinyl CD and digital copies !!
funk you
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
switch to vinyl then STFU!
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

kemmek +

Times thanked
<
I was building up an EDM collection before I started DJ'ing, so I've still got a lot of blog music, but I still bought albums and other releases I liked off iTunes to support the artists. Right now I'd say about 75% of my music is legally purchased off Juno, Beatport etc. the other 5% is free downloads and the last 20% would be beats from various blogs, although most of the time, if I download a tune and love it to bits, I'll end up hunting around for it and purchasing it legally, after all it's the least I can do.

I don't currently play out, and don't really have plans to (except for the occasional house party) but If I ever got a proper gig I'd make sure I purchased every single tune I was going to play on the night during my set. I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality anyway, downloading YouTube music is a pretty horrid way to about it (bad quality, chopped off intro's/outro's etc.) just spend some of your hard earned money on something that you enjoy.

I think if you truly have a passion and connection with the music you listen to you won't mind parting with your money, it's more of an experience, and paying a measly $2 for a track, but having that experience foreverer is an amazingly cheap transaction. Speaking of which, I need to grab myself some vinyl soon
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
lolromtek
Tech-One
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<
first of all, as mentioned i only download remix's of dj's who don't upload it to beatport, itunes ect but onto youtube.

Itunes: Has Some DRM music, 128kbps to 256kbps audio in ACC format, requires credit card for sign up. Limited Songs, Remix's (un-commercial)

BeatPort: Fluctuant Pricing/Currency, Does not support non commercial DJ's, Territory Restricted Songs

Dance-Tunes: Euro Currency, Not many non-commercial remix's

When i say non-Commercial i meant this Youtube SHM - One you will not be able to buy this song anywhere since the dj's in Non-Commercial (Signed up, Contract with Recording/Releasing Company) hence you will have to download straight off youtube, even if you contact the author most likely he will allow you to download his remix.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Stop trying to justify your piracy....
Tech-One
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:

fucking thief, technically a dickhead
seth111 +

Times thanked
<
This guy has to be taking the piss, right?
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

fucking thief, technically a dickhead

LOL
funk you
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
lets go over your thoughts on beatport...

Quote:

BeatPort: Fluctuant Pricing/Currency,

it fluctuated yes, between $1.49 and $2.49
now I like my whole extra dollar of crack as much as everybody else here, but what the fuck kind of money are you saving seeing it used to be $25+ a track,

Quote:

Does not support non commercial DJ's,

how come every other non-"Commercial" DJ hasn't had a problem with it before
wait shit,
I forgot how every single person in this forum is a "commercial" DJ,
hail the Guetta army

Quote:

Territory Restricted Songs

i seriously have no fucking idea what your even crackin 'on about here

and really half the time when Im on a download website and i decide to look up a song on youtube ill never find it, so really, what ever the shit you are playing...you didn't start DJing for the love of the music
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
I just record songs off the radio with my phone, compress the shit out of it, then burn it to cd
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
When i first started mixing i downloaded illegal stuff..however i dont do so any more and now spend ridiculous amounts on beatport and JB hi fi (who i hate but whats the alternative?). Also ur track collection gets much better when more thought is involved. My question is what happens when i play out? Buying music legally gives me (and all of you even if you are only playin ot to one other person) no right to publicly broadcast it. So what happens now?
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Are they selling dj equipment at Dick Smiths yet?

Regardless, some of you clowns need to read up on what is legal, what is licensed, and what is not.
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
^If theres a toon on youtube you really like, PM the maker cause 9 out of 10 times it will be on his/her channel, and im sure they would love to hear people want to download their music as an added extra

@circus midget.

DJ hero
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
yeah sweet, my previous posts got messed up but thats what i'm saying...if someone owns copyright nothing changes that...even if you email sum1 and they send u a track doesnt mean that their record label (who prob owns the copyright) allowed them to do so. Also circus midget...not at Dick Smith but us JB any different? Saw them selling 2x200's for just about the price i got 2x400's and a xone 22 4!
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
depends on their contract with the label really, legally the producer would have the total rights of what they have made, labels just get distribution rights on the track

but most guys that you cant find on the download sites, but on youtube most probably aren't signed to any label anyway, so all rights would be in their hands
that or they are really getting McFucked by their label
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<
really don't see why they are blaming the internet for CD Sales drop (had to clarify this, Internet is to blame FOR CD SALE DROPS, not for digital sales) when in 2004 their CD sales where worth 800$ Million and last year (2009) their digital Sales (MP3 brought online) was worth 3.7$ Billion which if my maths is correct a diffrence of 2.9$ Billions dollars US.

Last edited by dj-romtek: 05-Jul-10 at 09:42pm

Reason: Clarification

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
stop trying to justify your piracy
NewjackThe2nd +

can't wait to finish the new ecdm-digital.net site :)

Times thanked
<
i once new a Irish Hip Hop mp3/Digital Dj who used to purchase 2 copies of all his tracks online lol
http://commercialclubking.blogspot.com 850,000 Views 202 Countries Visit Daily 360,000 Unique Visitors. 3615 views in 24hrs Record
http://twitter.com/#!/ecdm_digital
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CircusMidget View Post

stop trying to justify your piracy

I'm not, I do apparently pirate music since I never knew grabbing from youtube was piracy...

was just stating a point
mortarman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

first of all, as mentioned i only download remix's of dj's who don't upload it to beatport, itunes ect but onto youtube.

Itunes: Has Some DRM music, 128kbps to 256kbps audio in ACC format, requires credit card for sign up. Limited Songs, Remix's (un-commercial)

BeatPort: Fluctuant Pricing/Currency, Does not support non commercial DJ's, Territory Restricted Songs

When i say non-Commercial i meant this Youtube SHM - One you will not be able to buy this song anywhere since the dj's in Non-Commercial (Signed up, Contract with Recording/Releasing Company) hence you will have to download straight off youtube, even if you contact the author most likely he will allow you to download his remix.

this is all the typical shite that comes from the mouth of typical pirate. "unreleased remixes" and "territory restrictions". Those excuses are passable at best for the VERY FEW tunes that you cant legally get your hands on. but you have openly admitted that you aquire all your music this way (unless of course you are so underground and awsome that all your tunes are unreleased gems???) seriously m8 f*** off. if you cant afford to buy tunes then dont be a DJ. end rant.
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:

I'm not, I do apparently pirate music since I never knew grabbing from youtube was piracy...

was just stating a point

How did you not know it was piracy?
Unless the artist label gives you the track for free or releases it for free, taking it without paying is piracy...
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

Buying music legally gives me (and all of you even if you are only playin ot to one other person) no right to publicly broadcast it. So what happens now?

The Nightclub/Bar/Restaurant/Radio Station we're DJing on plays fees to be allowed to broadcast music...it's entirely a moral/ethical thing as to whether you choose to legally own the music you're playing or being a theiving ****face (OP)

Anyone out there taking PAID DJ work and playing stolen music is a fucking scumbag, you're stealing from the artists, and your stealing from other, more deserving DJs

The only music I "steal", is DJ sets which have been uploaded by the DJ in question...so really, while it's technically still illegal, they own the choons, they chose to put it online for people to download, so what's the harm there? If anything, it helps the producers sell more tracks as people ID them, then go to Beatport et al and buy them

It's so retardedly cheap compared to when DJs HAD to have wax, yet you gen-Y (and whatever comes after you) cheapskate toe-rag mother fuckers still think it's OK to steal it?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Are you grabbing music from iTunes which is by well known artists? or are you getting music from bedroom producers who have made it themselves?
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hall_G +

Times thanked
<
It's sad...but IMO about 70 - 80% of young DJ's dont pay for their music.

I know first hand having chatted to many young DJ's.

It's fucked...but their constant justification is 'meh, they are getting heaps of cash, 1 illegal download doesn;t matter'...or 'I dont have a job, or money, how the fuck am I meant to pay for it? Why would I pay for it when I can get it for free'

It's only going to get worse, I know a DJ who has a hard drive (300 odd gig I think) that is full of illegal music...he has never bought a CD in his life and never paid for music.

The culture that the older generation grew up in (actually going to the record store, buying records or cd's) is no more, and it is only getting worse.

It's fucked...but I like to think I am still doing my bit by actually buying the mix cd's from JB instead of downlading them, or buying my vinyl, or paying for all my digital downloads...however it is now a drop in the ocean someone paying for it, not the other way round.
Blank Canvas
My Soundcloud
v904 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

It's so retardedly cheap compared to when DJs HAD to have wax, yet you gen-Y (and whatever comes after you) cheapskate toe-rag mother fuckers still think it's OK to steal it?

My trust fund only pays out $100K a year, how can I buy a truck of cheap coke AND tunes?! And I use wax, I have Serato

Quote:

Originally Posted by hall_G View Post

'I dont have a job, or money, how the fuck am I meant to pay for it? Why would I pay for it when I can get it for free'

Thats the worst mentality. 'I cant afford a prossie so I'll just rape a chick'
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hall_G View Post

The culture that the older generation grew up in (actually going to the record store, buying records or cd's) is no more, and it is only getting worse..

Absolute bullshit. Obviously you haven't noticed any of the threads about vinyl.
Anyway, have fun mixing with your jb hifi mix cd's.

Beginning to really dislike the attitude of these young dj's. Anyone want to form a vigilante posse? All we need is some big magnets, befriend the young dimwits, get close to their hard drives and BAM!
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
Prince says, "The internet's completely over."

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/05...internets.html
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
is this fuckwit for real? the fact that you're getting it from youtube as opposed to for example a torrent or an illegal download site is irrelevant. you are still gaining benefit from another person's work without paying for it. is it really that hard to understand?
RobCinch +

Times thanked
<
I pay for all of my music but I will be the first to admit that I download some movies / tv shows illegally (then buy them if I like them or delete if crap)

it kind of cancels itself out

I also listen to a lot of heavy metal and there is no way in the world I would download this illegally, I buy full albums with artwork etc as heavy metal would be gone without people buying the albums
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Ditto on TV shows (and the odd movie, but not many) and if stupid TV and Movie making companies put their episodes online for people to purchase and download, I'd pay for that, too...then know you're getting a legit file, no virus/spyware risks, highest quality, immediate access etc. They're so fucking behind the times...probably scared that it'll impact their sales of shows to TV Stations, but if they didn't release the shows for download until after the primary buying station airs the show, no harm...plus the moment it's been aired, it's online for illegal download so it's a moot point. Yes, there'd still be lots of illegal downloaders, but there'd be a stack of people willing to pay and they're missing out on that bigtime

/tangent

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

v904 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Ditto on TV shows (and the odd movie, but not many) and if stupid TV and Movie making companies put their episodes online for people to purchase and download, I'd pay for that, too...then know you're getting a legit file, no virus/spyware risks, highest quality, immediate access etc. They're so fucking behind the times...probably scared that it'll impact their sales of shows to TV Stations, but if they didn't release the shows for download until after the primary buying station airs the show, no harm...plus the moment it's been aired, it's online for illegal download so it's a moot point. Yes, there'd still be lots of illegal downloaders, but there'd be a stack of people willing to pay and they're missing out on that bigtime

/tangent

But why make things legally available for $10 a pop when you can sue one person for illegally downloading one show and get $200K!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

/tangent

Im pretty sure if they did that, when they want to air it again on TV, it wont have as much appeal etc etc
Tech-One
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by v904 View Post

But why make things legally available for $10 a pop when you can sue one person for illegally downloading one show and get $200K!

doesn't work, i remember at the start of the year when i had my wireless on (without protection or password) someone leeched my internet and downloaded sims 3 if i am correct. a day later I got an inbox in my ISP mailbox from ESRB sstating that my IP has illegally downloaded sims 3 and that this was just a warning to action will be take. (wish I still had the message) My ISP didn't block me or say anything about the matter.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
hahahah the old someones leeching my wireless excuse!
Tech-One
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

hahahah the old someones leeching my wireless excuse!

.... ok i download a stupid 2nd life game with shocking graphics and stupid sims that burn TV's...
sucka_punch +

unsure

Times thanked
<
Whilst we're on the subject, where does everyone buy their digital stuff online? I'm getting a bit tired of digging around sites for ages and then having to buy an entire CD just to get a track. iTunes is a bit naff because of the quality issue AND the copy protection - burning to CD and then ripping it back off again, when you've purchased the files legally, just to transfer them to another computer is annnnnoying.

Just to clarify I'm after a mix of stuff and the main thing I can't find is hip hop. All the "dance" stuff I can generally find on Beatport or Juno (I'm actually buying a lot of stuff I have on vinyl because ripping vinyl reeks of effort). And the reason for transferring it between computers is that I have a desktop for everything but DJ'ing and then a laptop for ... yeah, just DJ'ing.

So, sites to check out?

Cheers,
Ben.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
www.Trackitdown.net
www.Beatport.com
www.Junodownload.com
www.djdownload.com
www.hardstyle.com
www.dance-tunes.com

etc etc

I used to use a website that searched them all, and listed the prices etc etc, but i lost it :S
Tech-One
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
http://www.myspace.com/djromuzztek

whats a muzz?

or maybe it's this one " myspace.com/romtek. thank you in advance ... made a music account since i am a dj (Rom-Tek) and dont use the 2nd normal one anymore."
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Muzza

A muzza is a young male, usually of southern European decent (even though they've never been there), that are born and raised Melbournians. Living in middle-class western and northern suburbs they are depicted by their cars.. Usually canary yellow VL turbos (often built by the Rajabs), VN 5 litre's, VQ Statesmans or the R33 Skyline.. Baseball caps are constantly worn alongside hair product, but to make sure they dont wreck their hair the caps sit on top of their hair (and away from the fringe). Bum-bags are a must to hold all your mobile phones (one for the bros, and one for the hoes), and also some change to spend at maccas.

They walk like they're trying to immitate a scarecrow, or like they're holding a bucket of water in each hand (with a subtle swaying motion) This is often a result of going to the gym once or twice and thinking your lats are so huge you cant put your arms straight down your side. As soon as there's any drizzle outside muzzas call all their bros and go do some demos in your cars.. ripping it up in the wet is considered "free demos" because it doesnt bald your tires as much. Muzzas are often highschool dropouts currently doing apprentiships, with every cent they earn going towards their cars (mostly on tires and petrol), and they end up wondering why all their bros who went to uni end up driving mercs and picking up chicks while they stick to their teeny bopper marias (which are the 13-16yr old female equivalent of a muzza) who are the only chicks who go for these guys.

Common hangouts are Bell St maccas, or any other Hungry Jacks 24hour store carpark, but the most common place (which is guarenteed to give you some pure muzzas) has got to be Chapel Street on Friday and Saturday nights. Doing constant and repetitious laps of this popular shopping strip is a must, and ensures many hours of sitting in traffic at 3am on a Saturday morning.
Heading from Bell St maccas, headin to do some "Chap Laps" at 2am on a Friday, pumpin some hard tracks. Or at Williamstown beach sitting on the foreshore, in front of their cars, checkin out the chicks..
Tech-One
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Im pretty sure if they did that, when they want to air it again on TV, it wont have as much appeal etc etc

I don't really see it changing much, there's people that download shows and there's everyone else who just doesn't and only watches TV...a lot of people aren't that net savvy as to bother with downloading shows they end up watching on TV for free, or just don't care...least this way, a percentage of the net folk actually pay them something for it, while all those in TV land still just wait for TV, probably never even having known they COULD download it.

It might effect their sales to TV stations, but not really I wouldn't think so as, like I said, the moment it's aired, it's online to be stolen...I don't know, perhaps it would effect subsequent sales post the initial exclusive sale to a channel, but seems like potential market they're completely missing out on

CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
I don't download movies either, and enjoy the surprise when they eventually make it to free to air tv.
And no, it's not due to being net savvy chris, I just don't really watch enough tv/movies to warrant stealing them.
dj-romtek +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Muzza

A muzza is a young male, usually of southern European decent (even though they've never been there), that are born and raised Melbournians. Living in middle-class western and northern suburbs they are depicted by their cars.. Usually canary yellow VL turbos (often built by the Rajabs), VN 5 litre's, VQ Statesmans or the R33 Skyline.. Baseball caps are constantly worn alongside hair product, but to make sure they dont wreck their hair the caps sit on top of their hair (and away from the fringe). Bum-bags are a must to hold all your mobile phones (one for the bros, and one for the hoes), and also some change to spend at maccas.

I actually want a BMW 330Ci

Quote:

They walk like they're trying to immitate a scarecrow, or like they're holding a bucket of water in each hand (with a subtle swaying motion) This is often a result of going to the gym once or twice and thinking your lats are so huge you cant put your arms straight down your side. As soon as there's any drizzle outside muzzas call all their bros and go do some demos in your cars.. ripping it up in the wet is considered "free demos" because it doesnt bald your tires as much. Muzzas are often highschool dropouts currently doing apprentiships, with every cent they earn going towards their cars (mostly on tires and petrol), and they end up wondering why all their bros who went to uni end up driving mercs and picking up chicks while they stick to their teeny bopper marias (which are the 13-16yr old female equivalent of a muzza) who are the only chicks who go for these guys.

Common hangouts are Bell St maccas, or any other Hungry Jacks 24hour store carpark, but the most common place (which is guarenteed to give you some pure muzzas) has got to be Chapel Street on Friday and Saturday nights. Doing constant and repetitious laps of this popular shopping strip is a must, and ensures many hours of sitting in traffic at 3am on a Saturday morning.
Heading from Bell St maccas, headin to do some "Chap Laps" at 2am on a Friday, pumpin some hard tracks. Or at Williamstown beach sitting on the foreshore, in front of their cars, checkin out the chicks..

yea I don't even drive yet.
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »