Difference between mobile and club dj

Closed thread
Page 1 of 3
  Tools
chillaSim +

Times thanked
<
Difference between mobile and club dj
I've read a few posts where ppl have said their mobile deejays and to be honist I'd never thought of that. Just wondering how ppl get into being a mobile dj? And is it a good thing to do before trying to get a club gig?
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Mobile DJs are those that take their gear/hire gear and play at weddings, bday partys, and stuff like that.
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by chillaSim View Post

I've read a few posts where ppl have said their mobile deejays and to be honist I'd never thought of that. Just wondering how ppl get into being a mobile dj?

club deejays are the guys behind the decks when you go into a club, pretty self explanatory is that one

mobile deejaying involves the DJ bringing all his own stuff and setting up the booth, lights e.t.c. at the venue and DJ

mobiles are the guys you see at weddings/school discos/21st birthdays. that sort of thing

Quote:

And is it a good thing to do before trying to get a club gig?

its good to make a few bucks, like if your really serious with mobile djing, its the only type of deejaying that you can make a living out of

but apart from that,
if your just starting out, its a great way to learn the more complex parts of deejaying like reading the crowd,

and also, every gig you do, despite what "type" of djing is still a gig that you can put on your resume when you go and meet some club promoters
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"

Last edited by Catdog69Kool: 28-Jul-10 at 04:42pm

Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catdog69Kool View Post

...its a great way to learn the more complex parts of deejaying like reading the crowd...

yep.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts
one of them needs a friends list to get gigs, the other one just needs friends
chillaSim +

Times thanked
<
Lol I know what mobile djs are and club djs fools hahah but yeah cool my question was answered... I don't really wana be a mobile dj I don't think
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:

its a great way to learn the more complex parts of deejaying like reading the crowd

Totally.
Iv learnt the most about being a DJ from doing mobile gigs - 21sts / 50ths, etc. They really teach you that being a DJ isn't about playing the music you want to hear, but rather performing for a crowd and playing for them, not at them.
If anything it really helps to put DJ's in their place, cause at the end of the day we're all just highly paid jukeboxes.
I think mobile DJing is a great place for new DJs to start - out of all the gigs i've done, i've found mobile gigs are probably the hardest. So many different music tastes to cater for, so many people to please.
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
^ Good post...so true...DJing corporate fucntions is the worst/best/toughest (depending on how you look at it)...but anything with a large age range in the crowd makes it a lot tougher than a club gig where, generally speaking, you're dealing with a 10-15 year age range and people who are out at specific places because they like the specific music they play there.

But the crux is that mobile DJing means playing tracks you don't like (unless you like 80's to modern day pop, commercial RnB and 70's rock?) whereas club DJing you're really freer play the stuff you love...so long as you're taking the right gigs...like you don't take a gig at an RnB club if you're love is techno
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
chillaSim +

Times thanked
<
How would I get into mobile dj'n? Does the ppl who hire ya normally supply CDs or like they give ya a list of what they want
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
They could supply some of what they want to hear, but I'd say it's more likely they want you to be supplying everything with them giving you a guideline of what they want to hear

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

harlsom +

Dry me NOW.

Times thanked
<
I worked for a mobile DJ company and played almost every weekend for about 2 years...
Tons of stories to tell, but here are a few points for ya:

1) The company I worked for supplied me with almost everything - all I had to bring was myself, headphones and my car to fit all the equipment in.

2) The pay was crap, but I am good mates with the boss and I knew his margins were relatively low, plus he works like a dog so I never really asked for pay rise.

3) If you want to earn decent money, you need to work for yourself, which means you need your own equipment.

4) All round experience you get is fantastic, you get exposed to different people and locations every week.

5) Generally people at these parties don't expect or give a shit whether you beatmix, scratch, or display any technical skill whatsoever. They just wana hear tunes they can dance to without gaps in between So all you need to know how to do before you start is queueing and sound levels... if you work for a company I would assume they'd teach you how to do that on their equipment.

6) Most parties will require you to get on the mic at some stage, eg announcing birthdays etc. Daunting to start with, but great for building confidence and interacting with the crowd. Nothing picks up a party better than a DJ that actually MC's well (no, im not talkin about busting rhymes or anything!)
VegetableSoup +

I'll turn the question on you: Whats on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Yeah I'm a mobile DJ currently. You can do it without really having music of a music touch, basically just need to know lots and lots of music and know what people want to hear. The hardest part is MCing and handling requests (drunk people telling you what to do).
Pay is average to good depending on what kind of party I have to host. Honestly I took up the job because I wanted to become a DJ but it wasn't really what I expected, the equipment you use is generally pretty crap and I sometimes i get bored just fading so I try to beatmatch and mix so liven things up a bit.
If you want to get into it best look for a mobile DJ company in your area call them and tell them you are confident talking on a mic and you know lots and lots of music and that would be your best bet at getting a job. Oh and don't take the job if you can't stand Lady Gaga because you be hearing a bit of her...
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I've done a heap of weddings cash in hand with my own gear and just hired a pa system
I always undercut the quotes from professional places and I was still making 75 bucks an hour

It's shit work, you deal with drunk idiots but it's easy money in the scheme of things

In saying that, I an well over doing them now
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I've read a few posts where ppl have said their mobile deejays and to be honist I'd never thought of that. Just wondering how ppl get into being a mobile dj? And is it a good thing to do before trying to get a club gig?

i've been doin the mobile dj thing for a while now. u can make upto $400 - $1000 a night if you have a decent set up. The only reason why i can see why it would be a good thing to do before trying to get a club gig is that your up there with some pressure in front of people. Other than that it's nothing really like a club gig.
Soundcloud
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
It's easier to pick up chicks at a mobile gig.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
mobile dj wins, school socials + 16ths + 18ths + 21sts FTW!!
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
The majority of Mobile Djing = Soul destroying hard slog - you learn a LOT from it particularly how to handle ridiculous punters that you may encounter at any type of gig. Crowd controls DJ to a large extent here. This is work!

Club DJ (Unless you are at a meat market type club) = This is not work but rather mostly self indulgent fun (that you may actually may get paid for too). DJ controls crowd to a large extent here - This is passion!

I think if you have paid some school fees by being a mobile DJ you can only be a better club DJ. The same is not true the other way around.
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
stoydgen +

Times thanked
<
Been doing the Mobile stuff for about 2 years now, and I agree with the above points. Club DJ'ing will be more about controlling the crowd/music yourself, rather than in a mobile gig where you're basically trying to please the crowd (and a few drunken guys who just aim to piss you off). It's definitely good practice though.
underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
I find mobile quite fun, juxtaposing old and new throwing in a bit of house into the mix, drunken oldies at weddings will even dance to prog.

No matter the gig, always aim to have the crowd eating out of the palm of your hand, then you can drop *almost* anything. Even music that you like.

REMEMBER: The first track you play sets up the mood for the whole night. FACT. So choose wisely, also have an idea of how you want your set to move through all the different genre's you expect to play.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<
Yeah im a mobile DJ too, except I dont do weddings or formals, I pretty much Only do 21st and other birthdays for mates, I dont take request's and I get about 5 - 600 for about 5 hours of chicks and beer and me smashing out wicked tunes!?

I dunno about you other mobile dj's but the way i got it set up is soooo much better than playin at a club.

HOUSE PARTY vs CLUB???

you tell me

p.s im 23 not some 45 yr old dude with a hairy chest a cheap gold chain and a itunes playlist.

I use tt mk5's and serato and it is the balls!!!!!
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<
And I live off this too (financially), every Sat pretty much, its amazing what word of mouth can do for a DJ
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<
and like everyone else has said, once you learn to read a crowd (especially if you dont take requests, (Good training really) ), most clubs are pretty easy to get going
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by underhousearrest View Post

I find mobile quite fun, juxtaposing old and new throwing in a bit of house into the mix, drunken oldies at weddings will even dance to prog.

No matter the gig, always aim to have the crowd eating out of the palm of your hand, then you can drop *almost* anything. Even music that you like.

REMEMBER: The first track you play sets up the mood for the whole night. FACT. So choose wisely, also have an idea of how you want your set to move through all the different genre's you expect to play.

Nailed it, mobile gigs involve more crowd control in my opinion as I, a) dont take request, usually due to the fact that they have been recommended me via friends, so I expect some trust in my skills b) because I never. repeat never use the mic unless its for someone to use for speeches,

I see every private gig I do as practice for bigger gigs, festivals and what not, standard clubs are just 1 or 2 hours playing to people who will dance to nearly anything vs people walking out and complaining if they dont like what your bringing to the table
No punn intended... maybe a little
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
by the looks of how many posts your making, $10 says you have something hot that your trying to get off in the buying selling forum
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Oprah Winfrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

by the looks of how many posts your making, $10 says you have something hot that your trying to get off in the buying selling forum

ahhaha fair call, by the noteable short posts, But it actually comes down to being fried in the brain from too much weed, and not remembering all I want to say haha

wow i amaze myself
DjDennis +

bloody work again - it never ends

Times thanked
<
After 34+ years of Djing I wouldnt go back to clubs - mobile djing is where I make the money
as clubs are for the starters these days that get paid peanuts

plus you can end up hiring guys to work for you after you have extra shows

or buy a company like I did - I am now slowing down but its better and make more money in the long run mobile djing
(Havent setup a show in 10x years - since I get my roadies to do that)
I just walk in do the show and go home again...
roadies can pick up the mess later thats what they get paid for!
DjDennis

CEO - Director/Manager/Entertainment Director
(In this crazy business for over 38+ years)

new updated urls
http://www.trebleclefdj.com.au Main Site!
http://verifydj.trebleclefdj.com.au
http://www.djdennis.com.au
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DjDennis View Post

make more money

If that's your prerogative, that's well and fine ... i think, however that the $$$ isn't the reason a lot of us here mix.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
^
As above. The problem withmobile DJing is that you need to sell your soul to make that little bit of extra cash. I'd rather share the music I love tbh
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Exactly...DJing music you don't actually like sucks monkey balls...

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

well don't forget some people DO love that gammut of beige which is commercial music ... we need DJs to feed the mainstream. They need to be just as passionate .. or do they?

But yea, don't mix shiz you don't like just for $$ is a prominent feeling in these parts ... i mean you won't catch me mixing electro house

funkedub dot com

ravs +

Times thanked
<
Lets be real here people.

Do you honestly think that old chump you saw wearing his black slacks, tight black bonds Tee, with a 4 stone belly, balding head with teh remainder of hair tied in a pony tail, wearing a chunky ass dookie chain, DJing at you uncles's wife's sister's daughter's wedding goes home and listen's to some quality pressings. Nah man he's still churing out the same Fergie joint at home as he is at that wedding, while perving at nicley dressed up chicks young enough to be his daughters.

He likes that shit and he's getting paid at least $400 bucks a night for it.

So who's the chump now suckers? Him or some loser getting paid $75 bucks and a few beers to play records.
Cant.Stop.Wont.Stop
- Crown Street Cut Collective
- Scratchnuts Crew
- Soul of Sydney

Lowdown @
http://www.district.net.au
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravs View Post

Do you honestly think that old chump...

...So who's the chump now suckers? Him or some loser getting paid $75 bucks and a few beers to play records.

I'm confused

He's no longer a chump because he makes more money???
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic

Last edited by camlv: 10-Jan-11 at 04:32pm

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
You got more money for commercial gigs than your local techno party. But like anything it's all networking and getting to know people, you won't get anywhere without producing now days either which is a shame as shit ****s make shit music just because it gets them ahead of pure DJ's.

Still have a lot of respect for pure DJ's who know their stuff, you shouldn't have to produce just to make a name for yourself.

Personally I love playing to a commercial crowd just as much as a techno night. Both are just as fun, but I'm a sucker for good house music / nu-disco and disco edits, just have to chuck in the odd song or two that the crowd wants. Not that hard.

I'm lucky enough that I get to do both and get paid for it.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
DjDennis +

bloody work again - it never ends

Times thanked
<
so what do you think a mobile Dj will charge for say a 21st ? - $50.00 -- 200 400 some will charge up to 800 or $900 for 5hrs only

weddings for 5hrs some djs charge a min of $600 to $1500

so can you get that at a club in the same time ?
especially when they charge door admission of say $15.00
who and where does that money go ? you dont see it
most clubs will pay a dj for 2hrs and thats it - so what happens when you play from 9pm to 6am ?
how much money you get paid for all that time ?
do you have a break ? - do you get dinner ?
do you get any breaks, if its just you in the dj box all night ?

think about it today its easy for some but then really how do you get paid, how much money do you really earn to make a living ?
how do you buy your tracks if you have to buy vinyl all the time ?
do you get an account for your music ?
see i'll show you some things that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end!

have a great day all
DjDennis

CEO - Director/Manager/Entertainment Director
(In this crazy business for over 38+ years)

new updated urls
http://www.trebleclefdj.com.au Main Site!
http://verifydj.trebleclefdj.com.au
http://www.djdennis.com.au
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

so what do you think a mobile Dj will charge for say a 21st ? - $50.00 -- 200 400 some will charge up to 800 or $900 for 5hrs only

i do house parties where i'll use my gear and play for up to 6+ hours .... i don't get paid one red cent

funkedub dot com

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

no doubt there's more money to be made doing mobile / wedding DJ, but you have to weigh up whether you're djing for the love of music or as a job.

personally i'd rather make less and play music i love vs making money & playing music i dont love

but then again DJing isnt my full time job

Quote:

so can you get that at a club in the same time ?
especially when they charge door admission of say $15.00
who and where does that money go ? you dont see it

have a great day all

based on that, if a club gets 200 people through the door thats $3000

$700 for advertising / posters
$120 for door staff
$100 for flyer design
$1500 / $2000 for a headliner

which leaves not much left over
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
aliasneo +

"Berk! Feed ME!"

Times thanked
<
I started off mobile djing & I've got to say it's way more challenging than playing at a club! It teaches you to read the crowd, play for the crowd's and mix in so many versatile ways like mixing rock with house & vice versa! Anyone getting into djing I highly recommend you hit up mobile djing before going straight to a club, you really learn a lot from doing it. The best way to get started is to save up, buy some decks and a sound system and play for a couple of friends. Also build up your collection of music, I mean really build it up, you wanna be able to mix it around a little
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliasneo View Post

I started off mobile djing & I've got to say it's way more challenging than playing at a club! It teaches you to read the crowd, play for the crowd's and mix in so many versatile ways like mixing rock with house & vice versa! Anyone getting into djing I highly recommend you hit up mobile djing before going straight to a club, you really learn a lot from doing it. The best way to get started is to save up, buy some decks and a sound system and play for a couple of friends. Also build up your collection of music, I mean really build it up, you wanna be able to mix it around a little

valid point ... but you don't have to resort to mobile DJing to be able to get that experience ... house parties ... seriously ...

it's like people think that DJing only happens at venues

Of course the other problem is that a good deal of fresh DJs stick to a pretty narrow range of sound (house, prog, tech, DnB, dubstep, wot evs).

funkedub dot com

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^ Spot on...some of my most memorable nights DJing have been house parties where I played for 6+ hours straight and didn't get paid anything

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
Out of interest, you mobile guys how much did you have to spend on music? Like surely you would need hundreds of songs from a variety of eras and genres to be prepared for a wedding? Or are most ppl just happy with the latest commercial releases. Ive dj'd few clubs, house parties etc but kinda considering this mobile thing for $$$. Also what about licensing costs? And b4 all the haters jump in with their love> money spiel, well love and club dj pay wont pay the bills.
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
you would be crazy to try and live off club djing unless you've clearly made it big time!
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
I know heaps of people who solely DJ and make a living off it, playing at local nights. The play Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun though
Beatport
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
having a weeekly residency did my head in as it was.

you miss out on other club nights n gigs ... you're constantly having to find and play fresh tunes .. i'd rather take my time collecting and enjoying new (and old) music and having my weekends free.

doing thurs/fri/sat/sun ... no fukking way

funkedub dot com

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^ Agree...I've seen mates have their passion for DJing destroyed by residencies...1 guy was doing 4 hours on Thurs and 6 on both Fri and Sat at the same place, playing the same boompty house to the same people, week in, week out...ended up completely quiting after he quit that spot.

m_xt+ - not sure how the whole licensing thing works, would take some research to make sure you were doing it legitimately.
As for variety of music, for corporate gigs or things like weddings, you'd have to have a fucking stack of options at your disposal...but you get prepared in that you ask the people booking you play what they want you to play...retro, RnB, house, disco, MoTR, rock, pop etc. but IMO, if you were going to do it, you'd want to do it digitally so it's just one controller, one laptop with a mountain of music, one PA system + lights

sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

I know heaps of people who solely DJ and make a living off it, playing at local nights. The play Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun though

but its so fickle and unpredictable... you cant really dj for 50 years... and what about when you cant get a gig no more?

maybe the people you know ARE crazy, because they live off djing!!
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Yeah but some people would rather that than having to work a mon-fri 9-5 zombie job like the rest of the population. DJ'ing isn't a job and getting paid to play tunes and drink and have a good time is pretty ultimate imo. Even if you burn out doing it then work a proper 9-5, it's good fun while you're young and able to do it. Plus they get to support acts they dig as well.

To each their own I reckon.
Beatport
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

you also get to miss out on some gigs you dig as well

funkedub dot com

SlicyDicer +

Times thanked
<
Like any job it's a work (pffft work) / life balance / trade-off
Beatport
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
if you're a "dj" you tend to assume you're kind of passionate about music. If you work 9-5 M-F there's a goood chance you'll be able to attend 80% of gigs you're interested in ... if you're mixing all weekend, every weekend, there's a good chance there's a larger portion of that "lifestyle" you miss out on.

funkedub dot com

Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
<
Not many club DJs actually have it as job- the same goes for producers, artists and bands too (although some cover bands and tribute acts make a shitload playing...). I know a DJ/producer/band member in Canberra who's had albums out, played at heaps of festivals and toured, yet still has to work in the public service to make a living.

Mobile DJs and club DJ's are very different. One's a job that can be well paying if you work hard, and one's an expensive yet fun hobby that can pay off if you're one of the lucky few who make it big.

TBH, I think it's fun having your normal job, and then playing out at clubs or house parties on the weekend, or attending gigs and being in the audience. Maybe having a radio show is the way to play music and get paid, yet not always be up at a stupid hour of the night.... (cept if it's JJJ's mixup, that job would ruin your social life!)
Page 1 of 3
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »