House, Techno and Progressive

MURK (Ralph Falcon and Oscar G) to Celebrate 20 Years of MURK RECORDS

Tools
carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
MURK (Ralph Falcon and Oscar G) to Celebrate 20 Years of MURK RECORDS
Things have been quiet on the MURK front for a while and virtually dead on the MURK RECORDS front for about three of four years now*. For some reason I can’t talk about these guys without giving some serious context.

There was a two year stretch where they hardly seemed to play together and other than the Murk Made in Miami Radio show the Murk partnership didn't seem to exist. It had become very hard to stomach because in recent times it doesn't look like anyone books Oscar to do anything other than play crowd pleasers while Ralph has been in a fascinating space somewhere between the old garage movement, deep house and minimal techno but without any sort of national or international profile for far too long. Thankfully "Falcon" has appeared on more flyers in the last 6 months with and without Oscar.

My view on Falcon is a results of the way I see his releases (such as The Dig, Break You, Whateva (Dub) and the great parts of his album) and the string of excellent DJ mixes for the Made in Miami radio program fitting together. In fairness to Oscar he is really exploring both ends of the house scene’s spectrum. At one end, is the residency at Pacha NYC and the touring to similar spots throughout the US (you should also have account of, and I say this without remorse, the predominantly shithouse remixes of his recent works which I think gives the best indication of what this side of Oscar is aimed at). At the other end, is TROPICASA which is a sort of “Back to My Roots” night based on a fusion of Afro-Cuban and house music^.

Come 19 March 2011 the theme is one of constant frustration. Oscar’s own releases just keep getting cheesier (Innov8 and DJ had seriously high quality moments but the latest release has somewhat lost the plot – I didn’t even bother to get it), Ralph is slowly re-emerging from the shadows from which he has been limited to the dropping of bombshells about every 18 months and the production arm of Murk is practically defunct while the two never really seem to play under the Murk banner.

Yesterday I was bored and was looking for something new from Ralph which took me to the Oscar G facebook page. Motivated by the reference to Ralph’s Tropicasa closing sets in the video embedded below I thought I’d go through Oscar’s wall (or whatever the hell it is called) to see if there was anything of interest. Come February 8 2011 I found:

Quote:

We are pressing up our new MURK release "AMAME" featuring JEI right now...
Look for vinyl soon!!!
Ralph and I are working on a new album project that will mark the 20 Year Anniversary of MURK Records

Check it out:

Dark wailing vocals complemented by a deep, heavily grooving bass line. It is the sort of thing that is crying out for “Murk Goove remix” similar to their brilliant rework of Liberty City – If You Really Love Someone. The Made in Miami brand has really developed over the last few years (mainly as a club night) and Oscar is starting up a label of the same name. Although the initial release of Amame will be on Nervous NYC it is unclear which label the new album will be released on. I just hope that if they don’t keep the remixing duties in house, they at least give the honours to some of the genuinely talented Miami locals like Lazaro Casanova and Stryke.

So far so good because there is also a sample of the first remix by Casanova and it sounds great.

MURK Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Murk

MURK RECORDS Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/label/Murk+Records

MURK Myspace: www.myspace.com/murkmiami

Oscar G Myspace: www.myspace.com/djoscarg

Ralph Falcon Mypace: www.myspace.com/ralphfalcon

From the little there is available I think that there is genuine cause for lovers of this style of house music to be very excited. A genuinely deep and soulful groove coming out of Miami would do wonders for the house world in general.

* The last time the label was in action was for the 2007 release of Ralph Falcon & Oscar G - Classics Volume 1 (MURK 010) and the 2008 release of Ralph Falcon and Oscar G - Classics Volume 2 (MURK011) in 2008.

^ Tropicasa is a fairly highly regarded night in an intimate club environment they say is usually infront of 100 people. Running order is an opening set by Lazaro Casanova (who is basically one of the few Miami residents along with Stryke and anyone else on the Three-O-Five digital label that I would bother with), Oscar G feat. some Cuban dudes on vocals, drums and other instruments, with a closing that is now provided by Falcon.
I have heard a few clips of the live project that I really enjoy and some that I am not convinced by. It isn’t necessarily my style of music, but, I have to give credit where its due and OG gets a shit load of it for going back underground and blurring the boundaries between the traditional DJ/Live PA set and band performance. It is this creative/experimental mindset that gives me the faith that the brilliant moments, in particular those of the 90s can be recaptured.
Falcon’s DJ sets sound like the ones has was releasing for the Made in Miami radio show. I will post links for all the shows I have.

Last edited by carramrod: 20-Mar-11 at 10:13pm

carramrod +

Times thanked
< 16
Amame release date is 9.05.2011

Tracklist:

1. Amame [long ass mix]
2. Amame [dubstrumental]

It can be pre-ordered here

Even the work on the vinly is a throwback.

Last edited by carramrod: 15-Apr-11 at 12:50pm

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
fucking hell carramrod, if there's anyone who puts effort into posts it's you

hard to believe these guys have been busting it out for 20 years man, nice!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Look, I was pretty bored at the time and the news has really excited me.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
< 749
hey it's a good thing man, i appreciate it anyway
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
It appears that Amame has caused a bit of a stir in Ibiza (at least with Seth Troxler).

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...93+Amame+&aq=f

Pleasingly, because there have been a few false starts over the years, there seem to be 'guarantees' of more to come:

Quote:

Oscar G: Well my new album, the single will be coming out in a month or so. That’s called “Fallin”, and I have some good remixes coming with that. I’ve been in the studio with Ralph Falcon, doing a Murk project. We have a single out called “Amame!” which is on vinyl only. Were working on a new project also, its going to be the 20 year anniversary of Murk, so were going a bunch of stuff to commemorate that.

http://bassdownload.com/2011/09/osca...ew-dark-beats/

Also, Ralph has finally gotten some long overdue European recognition, albeit a conceptual night on Ibiza.

Media Player
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 05-Oct-11 at 11:15am

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Just need to explore some of the brilliance of old:

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 02-Nov-11 at 08:35pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Oscar G's latest released set is a reasonable affair:

There are some proper deep, funky Murk-like grooves in the set. I'm still hoping that the 20 Years of Murk Records project brings Oscar back to the "underground". Amame showed that Murk is still a force for the production of some amazing house music.
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Amame has gone digital on Beatport (Defected has the licence). It will be interesting to hear who remixes it (hopefully it isn't turned it into commercial dancefloor fodder with bad remixes).

There are elements of Amame that Radio Slave, Leveon Vincent or even Kassem Mosse could really go to town on. It also lends itself to a decent acid work out.

Lazaro Casanova is deffinately doing a remix. I have to say that something has changed because the clip on his soundcloud sounds quite different to the tune Oscar G is playing in the clip above.

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 11-Nov-11 at 05:05pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Interview for Defected:

http://www.defected.com/news-reviews...+Interview/863

It is starting to get very exciting.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Alley Tunes (Glenferry in Melbourne) has a copy of Some Lovin' [Murk Records 003].

http://www.discogs.com/Liberty-City-...n/release/2153

It is getting harder and harder to get a clean copy of the original release. It is worth the $35 it will set you back, being one of the best house tunes of all time.

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 13-Dec-11 at 03:28pm

patrickbateman +

the devil's son

Times thanked
< 2,293
you can get it from beatport for $1.50 :p
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Please see 3:10 of below clip.

Media Player
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Another interview (I perviously missed)

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/...-with-oscar-g/

Quote:

Q: What else can we expect from you guys in the coming months?

A: We are working on the next volume of Defected’s House Masters Series. This will feature a collection of tracks from our 20 years working together. We are also re-releasing the Murk catalog on vinyl with remixes by some of our favorite artists/friends. The first will be Intruder’s “U Got Me” with a Radio Slave remix. We are also working on a few new originals to be released on the Murk label, and we are busy planning several events to celebrate our 20th anniversary next year. Stay tuned on our Facebook and Twitter!

Radio Slave taking on the darkest Murk track. Surely it will bring out the excellent Radio Slave, it should.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313

Murk, aka Oscar G and Ralph Falcon, are one of the most celebrated and accomplished production outfits in house music. Celebrating two decades of experience behind them they have a signature sound, one that is utterly unique and which continues to inspire aspiring and established producers to this day. Here, they present 20 of their best-loved tracks and remixes in an unparalleled collection of some of the most enduring and evocative house records ever created.

CD Tracklist
1 Intruder (A Murk Production) featuring Jei - Amame (Long Ass Mix)
2 Oscar G & Ralph Falcon - Dark Beat (Murk Monster Mix)
3 The Fog - Been A Long Time
4 Liberty City If You Really Love Someone (Original Mix)
5 Romanthony - Falling From Grace (Murk Main Mix)
6 Ralph Falcon - Every Now And Then (Ralph Falcon 2009 Remix)
7 Funky Green Dogs From Outer Space - Reach For Me
8 Liberty City - Some Lovin
9 Interceptor - Together (Original Dub)
10 Coral Way Chiefs - Release Myself

CD2
1 Willie Ninja - Hot (Murk Mix)
2 Dynamo Electrix - You
3 Bobby Pruit - Tried So Hard (Special Vocal Mix)
4 Deep South - Believe
5 Ralph Falcon - I Need Someone (Original Club Mix)
6 Funky Green Dogs From Outer Space - High Up
7 Oscar G - Chunky Buddah
8 Intruder - U Got Me
9 Fury - Pain
10 Tito Valdez Tumbe (Murk Boys Oscar G Choice Rmx)
justbecause +

Times thanked
< 18
Thanks for bringing these guys to my attention. I enjoy the earlier sounds of house.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
A few more features from Defected:

http://www.defected.com/news-reviews...in+the+Box/937

http://www.defected.com/news-reviews...+In+Quotes/938
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
It's been a long time between drinks but I've finally found a recent set from Oscar G, recorded at Tropicasa in November 2011, that validates my faith that he still plays good quality music (and that it is a matter of playing to the right crowd).

The only thing lacking now is hearing from Ralph Falcon (obviously he doesn't like the media spot light - if you can call it that). He has been quite throughout the re-birth of Murk Records, I love to know what the man has been doing the last 10 years.

Oscar G (from 60 minutes)

01. Zakes Bantwini - Wasting My Time (Dan Ghenacia Remix) [Real Tone]
02. Madera - Two (Reddub II) [Melted]
03. Lee Van Dowski - On [Rekids]
04. Tanner Ross - B Side [No 19 Music]
05. Terrence Parker - Love's Got Me High (Jimpster Remix) [Systematic]
06. Avatism - The Slug (Clockwork C / Remix) [Souvenir Music]
07. TINI - Fail Better [Desolat]
08. Vaggio - Don't You Want Some More [Ovum]
09. Paul Damixie - Africa (Sunset Mix) [Guajira]
10. Hector Couto, Santa Garcia Feat. Pablo Fierro - Let The Music Play [Adult Music]
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 16-Feb-12 at 10:02am

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Oscar G has a new EP out on Nervous Records, Agua Bendita.

http://www.discogs.com/Oscar-Gaetan-...elease/3408903

Agua Bendita is a rhythmic, cuban influenced number. While I'd expect few around these parts to identify with the vocal line (although I like it) on the A side, the B side is an instrumental stripped back to the bongo-lead, almost stomping drum patterns that I can see working well as (at least) a tool in some of the techier house sets that are floating about.

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Tearing my hair out over the Murk set recorded for Defcted's radio show. I'm not posting it here because it is embarassing.

To be honest I'm at the stage where Oscar G can shut up (in his interviews) about DJs having "balls" and music being uninteresting and the like. The constant proliferation of rubbish credited to his name is starting to make the comments grate too much to simply ignore.

I had my hopes sky high that "Murk" would be reserved for proper house music and not the shit that Oscar has embraced in the last few years. I don't care what he says (because it would be a hollow lie), there is no link between the cheesy build ups, sirens and hi-pitched bleeping and Murk Records. It is purely sell out.
My mixes:

Track list

TJAY +

Times thanked
< 11
I've always loved Murk, these guys along with Danny Tenaglia got me into dance music, but along the whole way it's always been in my mind that Ralph was the driving force of the good sound.

I was lucky enough to be there when he played Freakazoid, but had been booked under Funky Green Dogs. He walked into a rammed club playing FGD music - not Murk. And the crowd had never been there for the Murk sound. He said he didn't bring the records for this kind of club and was worried.

And yet I walked up to him at the end and said that'd been one of the best sets I'd ever heard. Period.

He had that place in the palm of his hand after two tracks. No one planned to be there, but he absolutely knew how to get the place there. Brilliant stuff. I didn't leave the dancefloor. I normally didn't leave the bar!

Ever since then I've searched for more Murk live sets and they've invariably been Oscar G, and they've never done it for me. Much like the Defected mix I downloaded in haste and excitement this morning.

Together as Murk/FGD they might make a great pair, but DJing, Ralph's the man in my mind.
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
I agree TJAY, Falcon is a class act. If only he'd step into the spotlight and/or release more music. I'd really like to know where he has been all these years.

I can't (and won't) give up on Oscar G because of this split personality he has. Obviously the commercial, ball bag aspect of his music is going to get more exposure but he has always done enough of the good to keep me interested. The "DJ" originals were solid enough, without being his best work; his contributions to the seemingly defunct Three-O-Five digital project are good (Pickle Juice is a great deep house track); and Amame and AB say that he still makes credible music. This has to be balanced against the shit on his latest album.

As a DJ, Gaetan is technically superb and has this almost intuitive sense of playing proper house/techno in an accessible way. If you go by what is being released into the web you'd have to say that he's just playing crowd pleasers these days and I don't get it. Surely the Visionquest / Crosstown Rebels market is big enough now that they could focus Murk there (given that they say Amame was huge in Ibiza 2011) and not rob the brand of its credibility playing to crowds who'd be just as happy listing to local uni-night DJs.

I've got this idea in my head that when Ralph and good Oscar play together things get special. I just want to see it/hear it once so I can tell myself how right I was and then I will shut up about it. To do it perfectly I'd put Murk on in the Bunker in NYC with Eric Cloutier or Levon Vincent told to warm up for them (or if they aren't familiar with Murk a DT marathon in 199 and just watch things get out of control. I seriously think that with some freedom Falcon could quite possibly be one of the best DJs you could see (maybe you should release the Freakazoid set TJAY ).

I think that it gets pretty close to happening when they play at these 20 years of Murk nights with Lazaro Casanova or Danny Daze as the only other names on the bill. If the Nervous crew starts to get involved on the billings I wouldn't actually go to see them (I'd prefer to fantasy). It isn't that I've got anything against Nervous, it is just that it is likely to be a Jersey Shaw style muzza fest (and there are only so many of those dudes I can punch on with).
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 24-Feb-12 at 02:07pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Here is some of the Falcon goodness I've been talking about (I can't remember which are the good Oscar G sets):

Murk Made in Miami (Ralph Falcon), 26-10-2007

Murk Made in Miami (Ralph Falcon), 2-11-2007

Murk Made in Miami (Ralph Falcon), 23-11-2007

Murk Made in Miami (Ralph Falcon), 7-12-2007

Unfortunately there are only very few track IDs.
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Red Bull Music Academy Fireside Chat ft Murk, Miami

I hour of stunning tunes split up with an interview.

http://redbullmusicacademyradio.com/shows/5040/

Tracklist:

Mission Control - Outta Limits (Shelter Mix) - Deep South
Intruder - U Got Me - Murk Records
Interceptor - Together (Classic Dub) - Murk Records
Liberty City - Some Lovin’ - Murk Records
Funky Green Dogs From Outer Space - Reach For Me - Murk Records
Coral Way Chiefs - Release Myself - Murk Records
Ralph Falcon - Every Now And Then (Dub Mix) - Miami Soul
The Fog - Been A Long Time - Downtown
Romanthony - Falling From Grace (Murk Main Mix) - Azuli
Liberty City - If You Really Love Someone - TRIBAL America
Willie Ninja - Hot (Murk Mix) - Nervous Records
Oscar G feat. Marck Michel - Gotta Keep Movin' - Kumba Records
Intruder feat. Jei - Amame (Long Ass Mix) - Murk Records
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Radio Slave doing what he does best:

Not sure that it is going to risk bringing on the apocalypse like is remix of The Dig did but it is a very nice remix.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 17-Mar-12 at 04:06pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313

Oh Shit Yes!
My mixes:

Track list

retfdsggg +

Times thanked
< 2
sounds good
DJMR-X HYS SYDNEY +

Just at 4 weeks to go y'all tickets on sale at houseyoursoul.com , residentadvisor.net or just me !!

Times thanked
< 2
love murks stuff!!!
WWW.HOUSEYOURSOUL.COM
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Three hours of G plugging away at Tropicasa a few weeks ago without one dickbag of a build up, one genuinely shit song or a siren.

Long live the dream!

My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
New Murk release out on 31 December 2012.

http://www.murkrecords.com/

It seems as thought it is a digital release (Murk Records went digital a few weeks ago). I'm very interested to hear where this one goes.
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
It is sounding really good:

Murk - Dub Garage EP

Murk - Dub Garage (Original Mix)

Murk - Dub Garage (Remix)

My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Some more proper grooves from Geeman. Fast forward to 59:50 for the start of his set.

Oscar G tracklist

German Brigante - My Life [Material]
Bugsy, Dirty Channels, Amina - Alone (Pezzner Remix (Josh Wink Re-Think Dub) [Ovum]
Sam Paganini - Eros [Drumcode]
Julie McKnight, Louie Vega, Jay 'Sinister' Sealee - Diamond Life (Acapella) [Defected]
Tom Wax Feat. Julian Smith - What It Is All About [Bitten]
Daniele Sorrenti - Shake That Body (DJ Chick Remix) [FKJ]
Marc Romboy - More Muzik (Gerd Rough Tool) [Systematic]
Back Magic - Let It Go (MAW Dub 'Subb-an' Remix) [Strictly Rhythm]
Scandal - Just Let Me Dance (Maxxi Soundsystem Remix) [Nurvous]
D-Royy - D Drums (D-Royy) [Selektor]
DJ Linus - Who Stole The Soul? (Unexpected Mix - DJ T. Edit) [Get Physical]
Oscar G - I Want Your Love [Lo:Rise]
Murk - Die 4 U [Murk]
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 07-Jan-13 at 04:38pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
The full workouts:

Media Player

Media Player

All we gotta do now is wait for the wax.
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
New Murk track Egoista is out next week (or so they say).

I just hope that these new tracks will see vinyl releases too. I reckon that Dub Garage is arguably the best track they've released together since the 90s.

My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 15-Feb-13 at 02:40pm

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Here are the tunes. The remix is potentially a serious bomb. A proper work out is required before any conclusion can be formed.

Media Player

Media Player
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Proper set from Ralph and it ******* rocks

My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
TJAY, if you're out there, I've lost the Freakazoid set. I'd be forever grateful if you could give me the links again.
My mixes:

Track list

TJAY +

Times thanked
< 11
I'll see if I can find it.

In the mean time, here's a Murk 20 year retrospective https://soundcloud.com/dj-oscar-g-1/...rospective-mix

LOVING IT.
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
< 3,472
awesome find thanks TJAY!
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes
Gigs

June 19th - DARKBEAT - Local Sessions - Uone - The Railway Hotel
July 10th - MAHALA - Marc Marzenit - The Railway Hotel
July 24th - DARKBEAT - Tiefscharz - The Railway Hotel
Aug 1st - SUNNY - The Railway Hotel
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Was coming here to post that.

Amazing that my mind can still be blown even though I've heard those sounds hundreds of times.

Such amazing, timeless house music.
My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
The dream lives on
There was a Murk Classics party at Cielo, NYC last Thursday 20 November 2014.

Think that it was just Oscar and Ralph all night long.

Oscar has put up an hour he played on the night.

Deep, sexy, dark and tribal. It's certainly reinforces the mystique of, what I pigheadedly consider to be, a "proper" Murk set.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 26-Nov-14 at 04:47pm

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,492
Oscar and Ralph together at Cielo!?!? Man that would have been awesome
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
G man is in some serious form

My mixes:

Track list

Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 313
Found this extract of a set they played in 1995.

Stupidly good.

Edit: seriously, it's basically the perfect balance of music.
My mixes:

Track list

Last edited by Bruno from Burwood: 15-Feb-15 at 10:38am

« Previous Thread Next Thread »