I sell cars so those dudes that spend thousands on cars pay for my toys

Media Player
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
jpchopshop +

Times thanked
<
well talking about expensive toys, i have a djm 800 with 2 cdj900s hooked up to traktor scratch pro! well worth it tho!!
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
^

Brag post:p
DORSAL FIN UP
chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpchopshop View Post

well talking about expensive toys, i have a djm 800 with 2 cdj900s hooked up to traktor scratch pro! well worth it tho!!

What's the point of using 900's with Traktor? All the extra features are made defunct.
Dante +

noided noided

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,243 Times in 583 Posts
totally agree... I used to use CDJ-400's in a cafe/bar at one stage, and while it was cool, the functionality just wasn't there.

thinking about one of these as it's such a one piece solution. exchange rate at the mo is making it look pretty attractive.
jpchopshop +

Times thanked
<
nice info to know, my cdj 900s must be the only ones ever made that havent lost any of the functionalities, i still use the audio 8 sound card
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Played with mine over the weekend love it.

Even to just plain mix on they feel great to beatmatch with. Got some good samples going they are actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I think my headphone socket is a little dodgy though. I have to have my headphones plugged into it with the cord pointing up or else the sound is really muffled.

If I bump it while playing it can cause the sound to cut out of 1 ear completely. Dont think its my headphones as they have never had an issue before and run fine off my main mixer.
bMaNoNe +

doof doof, doof

Times thanked
<
Bah, ordered mine through NI back in october...shipped on 30th...still haven't got it. bloody customs!
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
just got my tracking number for my NI S4 Flight case!
wewt! should have it on Friday

Breaks in all its forms!
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Hopefully mine comes soon have a gig early dec dont think I would take the S4 without the case.

Ok so I am confident this a software setting I cant figure out that is doing my head in.

Whenever I make a cue point no matter where in the song. If I stop the track and then press the cue point so that is the point where it will start when I press play I get loud static through the track until I hit play and then stop again in a different area.

So basically it doesnt like sitting paused on a cue point it needs to be paused somewhere random in the song or it makes static.

Dunno if that was explained too well but anyone have any idea?
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
Still in customs dont farkin understand
DORSAL FIN UP
LachyLeonard +

Times thanked
<
I ordered mine from StoreDJ on Monday, they just posted this on their site:

"SHIPPING UPDATE: OUR FIRST DELIVERY OF KONTROL S4's IS SHIPPING AND ARE ON THEIR WAY TO STORE DJ NOW"

Hopefully those still waiting on theirs from the states will have them soon too.
elphish +

MXML: no MNML

Times thanked
<
Picked mine up at Factory Sound in Melbourne yesterday.

The unit is nice and solid and I'm quickly getting to grips with it.

I'm running it in a 4 deck setup with a X1 to control decks C/D and to control effects 3/4. I'm using a launchpad for triggering cue points on the extra decks etc. I'm also using a BCR2000 with a bunch of midi programmed effects stuff a'la below:
Media Player

The S4 runs red hot on the outputs. You're going to need to back off by about 6 or 7 dB on the master inside Traktor or you'll be hitting red all day long. The built in limiter in Traktor is still horrible, so turn it off, turn down the master and let something else limit it for the odd occasion when you peak out.

Latency wise, it's not too ugly, and I've not had many occasions when it's been noticeable.

I've got a weird glitch at the moment that when I select 4 effects rather than 2 in Traktor preferences, the S4 won't light up effect 2 on decks a/c or effect 1 on decks b/d. They can be set (my launchpad can select them and Traktor shows this) but the S4 doesn't update this information on its display. I'm using the Launchpad to light up and disable effects on each deck anyway so no major issue.

I'll be playing a set on it on December 17th, so will report back once it's had a workout in a club.
Zappaz +

Times thanked
<
Factory sound *sold out*
elphish +

Times thanked
<
seth111 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphish View Post

Picked mine up at Factory Sound in Melbourne yesterday.

The unit is nice and solid and I'm quickly getting to grips with it.

I'm running it in a 4 deck setup with a X1 to control decks C/D and to control effects 3/4. I'm using a launchpad for triggering cue points on the extra decks etc. I'm also using a BCR2000 with a bunch of midi programmed effects stuff a'la below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbsAIBs3uE

The S4 runs red hot on the outputs. You're going to need to back off by about 6 or 7 dB on the master inside Traktor or you'll be hitting red all day long. The built in limiter in Traktor is still horrible, so turn it off, turn down the master and let something else limit it for the odd occasion when you peak out.

Latency wise, it's not too ugly, and I've not had many occasions when it's been noticeable.

I've got a weird glitch at the moment that when I select 4 effects rather than 2 in Traktor preferences, the S4 won't light up effect 2 on decks a/c or effect 1 on decks b/d. They can be set (my launchpad can select them and Traktor shows this) but the S4 doesn't update this information on its display. I'm using the Launchpad to light up and disable effects on each deck anyway so no major issue.

I'll be playing a set on it on December 17th, so will report back once it's had a workout in a club.

I reckon you need to invest in another controller lol
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<
So when is pioneer bringing one out?
It surprised me when the CDJ2000 wasn't what the S4 is but I'm assuming it won't be long until they have something similar. I guess the question is what will it do to position itself as the superior controller? Built in FX? CDJ1000 jog wheels? DJM800 styled interface?
Anyone here have any experience with the Allen & Heath XoneX? Or 3/4D doing something similar? I've been leaning to a 4D for a while now with the intention of doing exactly what the S4 does; can anyone give feedback on this?
I think the S4 is pretty handy but I don't see it changing things. When it comes down to it its still limited in the fact its not analog and without the software its simply there to look good. Don't get me wrong, NI (again) are on to something and hitting the market at the perfect time but 1. it's about time, this has been done just without the hype and 2. I smell behringer. Lets hope they don't go down that path.
seaneoconnor +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Loving mine but am wondering if anyone has any idea on how to adjust the crossfader curve? NI's forum is down...
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubs View Post

So when is pioneer bringing one out?
It surprised me when the CDJ2000 wasn't what the S4 is but I'm assuming it won't be long until they have something similar. I guess the question is what will it do to position itself as the superior controller? Built in FX? CDJ1000 jog wheels? DJM800 styled interface?
Anyone here have any experience with the Allen & Heath XoneX? Or 3/4D doing something similar? I've been leaning to a 4D for a while now with the intention of doing exactly what the S4 does; can anyone give feedback on this?
I think the S4 is pretty handy but I don't see it changing things. When it comes down to it its still limited in the fact its not analog and without the software its simply there to look good. Don't get me wrong, NI (again) are on to something and hitting the market at the perfect time but 1. it's about time, this has been done just without the hype and 2. I smell behringer. Lets hope they don't go down that path.

Ill sell ya my 3D with flight case - check the for sale thread
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
shunji +

100% Hapa

Times thanked
<
I've heard nothing but bugs from the S4 so far. You'd think with all the hype they would have done the work to get it right.

The Xone DX is so far the most stable digital DJ unit I've come across, but that's what you get when you have guys like Allen & Heath teaming up with Serato. Speaking of which, it looks like it's had a big price drop from over two grand to $1395 to compete with the S4.
they only come out at night... or in this case, the day.

Last edited by shunji: 01-Dec-10 at 09:53am

elphish +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shunji View Post

The Xone 4D is so far the most stable digital DJ unit I've come across, but that's what you get when you have guys like Allen & Heath teaming up with Serato. Speaking of which, it looks like it's had a big price drop from over two grand to $1395 to compete with the S4.

Link?

I've not seen the 4d anywhere near that price point. Getting them under $3k is a real challenge, let alone for half of that.
prjkt +

hmmm

Times thanked
<
probably means the XoneX controller, which has had a price drop

Quote:

Originally Posted by puretrance89 View Post

My muzza's are more tanked up than your muzzas!

shunji +

100% Hapa

Times thanked
<
whoops, yeah the xone dx, not the 4d
they only come out at night... or in this case, the day.
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
yay! flight case arrived today!

Breaks in all its forms!
elphish +

Times thanked
<
http://www.traktorbible.com/en/kontr..._fx_units.aspx
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Yiew case arrived.

Little bigger than I expected but still doable as a main gig rig.

Question..... May be a dumb one.

Are the straps in the case on the laptop stand so that you just strap up your laptop and box it all up together?
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<
havent got me case but finally got the S4. Bloody update is ruining the joy ride!
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDeli View Post

Yiew case arrived.

Little bigger than I expected but still doable as a main gig rig.

Question..... May be a dumb one.

Are the straps in the case on the laptop stand so that you just strap up your laptop and box it all up together?

haha, ye i wondered that at first too.
Yes the straps are for a laptop so the "travelling" dj can pack his/her laptop with the S4...its heaps handy with the sliding platform.
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<
quick one for you Mike, would you say the case is rain-safe?
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by teknik View Post

quick one for you Mike, would you say the case is rain-safe?

yes definately....
aussie style rain yes

Breaks in all its forms!
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Thanks Mike.

I was sitting there trying to see if the lid squashed the lappy or not aha.

Got a gig next week will take it and see how it fits into the booth.

I dunno I think I may have to take the platform off completely and place the lappy elsewhere I think with the platform slid out it is too deep for booths.

I have seen over the NI forums that apparently a UDG Trolley was being made to fit the S4 and this was back in October.

Anyone heard more about this?
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
Mine finally arrived and i picked it up pronto but had to wait to 9pm last nite to have a play! Software looks better than Pro an the controller feels sturdy an everything is set out awesome! need some help though please! software is all installed and have installed the controller driver too but when i hook it up to the S4 the USB in the centre of the controller light just flashes and wont connect to the hardware! went into options and on the first screen it comes up as not connected and will only connect to the intenal mixer(audio drive) Im pretty new to the Mac, i have a 13inch pro im sure its something simple im not doing and would appreciate if someone could show me the errors of my way as im dying to have a mix
DORSAL FIN UP
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh AKA Sharky View Post

Mine finally arrived and i picked it up pronto but had to wait to 9pm last nite to have a play! Software looks better than Pro an the controller feels sturdy an everything is set out awesome! need some help though please! software is all installed and have installed the controller driver too but when i hook it up to the S4 the USB in the centre of the controller light just flashes and wont connect to the hardware! went into options and on the first screen it comes up as not connected and will only connect to the intenal mixer(audio drive) Im pretty new to the Mac, i have a 13inch pro im sure its something simple im not doing and would appreciate if someone could show me the errors of my way as im dying to have a mix

make sure you run the service centre software to get the latest updates.
I had a similiar problem and turns out the usb driver hadn't been installed properly.
chimby +

You've got to be kitten me!

Times thanked
<
When you're using the sampler mode, do the EQ/faders on channels C/D control sample decks?

Last edited by chimby: 02-Dec-10 at 04:02pm

Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I had a similiar problem and turns out the usb driver hadn't been installed properly.
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-O-Sito View Post

Awesome mate! will do when i get home cheers
DORSAL FIN UP
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
It worked Mike! your a legend! Had a mix last nite an its all i expected it to be an more! lived up to the hype in my opinion:p one more question mike? what latency should it be runnin at?
DORSAL FIN UP
garygee +

click click bang

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomosity View Post

Would it be a worthy choice for replacing my Pioneer set up, 2x CDJ1000mk3 and DJM700 for this?

I mix all types of music, top40 to Drum n Bass etc

well its what im planning on doing. i move around a bit and its a hassle lugging around my roadcase. this just seems so much simpler!!!
its garrariffic
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Anybody using the analogue input on this e.g. CDJ's plugged in?

I know that you can route input D to 'through' but i'm interested to see if this applies to the other analogue input too.

Essentially if there is no computer on can you still use the S4 Mixer play mix 2 channels of external source?
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Ok - found the answer "No, the inputs route all signals through the software mixer, so you need a computer connected. Well, unless you have input D set to thru, btu that's only one input."

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Ordered an S4 today after a few nights mixing away in Traktor and getting the shits with only been able to use the mouse . Everything crossed it arrives before Xmas.
H2X
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It worked Mike! your a legend! Had a mix last nite an its all i expected it to be an more! lived up to the hype in my opinion:p one more question mike? what latency should it be runnin at?

really depends on your computer specs tbh.
I left mine on factory settings and never get glitches.
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Can't wait for mine to arrive - hopefully this week...

I will have a cheap 3d for sale if anyone is interested

Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
Had a play with the Xone when comparing these two together, the xone feels more solid, it has that 80's build quality to it but just doesn't seem nearly as well layed out as the S4, and the S4 seems like its gonna be the industry standard for laptop dj's! Such a good piece of equipment, my housemate back ordered one. I'm gonna end up locking myself away with it though ahahha
NEW MIX UP!!! --->>VIEW MY MIXES HERE! <<----- Techy/Techno/prog stuff!!!
JDeli +

Times thanked
<
Ok, so took it to first gig on Friday.

Its a party that im helping to run so I had a massive advantage of getting in there before the night started with the lights on and gave it a sound check to ensure was all working.

All plugged in easily and worked first go. I would be comfortable from now on plugging it in anywhere.

One issue I can see is for smaller booths the laptop platform would not slide out far enough for you to be able to get your fingers onto the effect knobs. The booth on friday night was JUST big enough... I slid the laptop back and the front of the case had to be on the very edge but the effect knobs were just accessible.

In future I think I am going to take my own laptop stand just incase the booth is not deep enough and I will have to take the laptop platform off completely.

Other than that the unit performed without an issue for my set and I had a rad time. Copped a lot of comments about it and the photographer seemed to hang around taking photos from behind it for quite a while. So many pretty lights!

I took along my USB LED light to angle it over the S4 EQ knobs. I would recommend one if possible as I had a really hard time seeing the EQ without it.
Len Fairclough +

Times thanked
<
DMC just got their 2nd shipment of S4's today, picking one up now, they are having a demo/class on the S4 & Maschine this Saturday at 1pm. They also have the Xone 4D going at a crazy price of $1799 on their sale this weekend. Sweet!
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Len Fairclough View Post

DMC just got their 2nd shipment of S4's today, picking one up now, they are having a demo/class on the S4 & Maschine this Saturday at 1pm. They also have the Xone 4D going at a crazy price of $1799 on their sale this weekend. Sweet!

Where is DMC?

AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Ok i see - its in VIC

Len Fairclough +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroWhitie View Post

Ok i see - its in VIC

They do free shipping anywhere in Oz man.
bMaNoNe +

doof doof, doof

Times thanked
<
I'm still waiting for my S4! I thought it was in customs, I called up NI in germany last week, and apparently they think they may have shipped it via sea rather then air...so that's a 2-3 month wait!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »