The DJ Booth

Traktor Kontrol S4 System

Tools
ccombe +

hmm soo much blue...

Times thanked
<
got mine a couple weeks ago now that I am living in Singapore.. love it, but I would never use the flight case for anything other then flying, unless I some day get a gimp to carry my stuff around (sarcasm).

hopefully UDG bring something out with wheels / bag type thing..

check out: http://traktorbible.com/en/kontrol_s...o_machine.aspx
using s4 and maschine at the same time..

no up coming gigs - I am in Singapore behaving myself..
-
Pulse Radio
Mixes + Production Updated - 2010-09-01
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<
i know that you can hook ur cdjs up to this s4 but was wondering if that was if ur only using timecode or can you just use ur cdjs normally ?
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
@ Bressos you can use it with any line/phone device on 2 channels - you have to have the software running though as this routes the audio through the interface - bonus here is you get to use the actual Traktor effects and filters on these signals too
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
http://soundcloud.com/afrowhitie
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Can you hook up your decks to it.. and also use the recorder to record in wav.. Thinking it could be a good way to start digitising my vinyl without buying a audio interface as my soundcard on my comp is average + suffers from interference)
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
@ Oli see above post.

As for recording - the loop recorder is for um loops so you have probably have a max of 32 bars.

The soundcard can however be used in other applications just grab something like the free audacity and you will be set - if youi gonna digitze vinyl i would recommended also getting something that processes it like platinum notes - generally digitized vinyl ends up sounding pretty shit next to everything else so you might wanna just get propper digi releases for stuff you play often where possible.
Catch me @ Miss Marley's in Manly on the weekends for quality tunes and amazing tequila!

Grab lotsa mixes here - Downtempo, Breaks, DnB, House, Electro, Booty Bass blah blah blah
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
I thought Traktor had a record function for recording your sets.. ?

also I have heard some great quality vinyl rips, you just have to do it right (External soundcard, quality stylus, record to wav etc)
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Yep it does but you still need to edit the recording so skip that step and go straight into a daw.

Agreed you can get it to sound ok with enough effort and gear (trust me - it was the only way i could get decent tunes in the early days of being a digital dj) - still it will never sound 'great'

Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<
Again, I have heard some really top sounding vinyl rips.. But the recordings were re-mastered somewhat..
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
C'mon Aus Post, hurry the F up and get my S4 to me. Got confirmation it is on the way, please pretty please get here by Fri!
H2X
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAKS View Post

C'mon Aus Post, hurry the F up and get my S4 to me. Got confirmation it is on the way, please pretty please get here by Fri!

Ditto!

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Arrived this morning, Installing software now
H2X
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<
Aargh - still waiting for mine from Spank

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Mine was from Store DJ. Took a while to get all the software updates but been having fun since about 5.30pm

Getting use to all the shortcuts takes a while but getting the hang of it now. The jog wheel is a tad too sensative for my liking but will just have to deal with it for now.
H2X
bressos +

save your scrap for Victory!

Times thanked
<
can u you adjust the sensative of jog wheel or is that it ? and i was going to ask can u still do internal record too?? with the s4
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
finally figured out the effects (after reading the instructions)
what do you guys think of the effects setup?

I find them a bit figety to use...i can see myself getting use to pretty quick mind you...
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
also any breaks dj's having some problems with beatgriding?
A couple of my breakbeat tracks just dont want to lineup properly with the beatgridder.

Its easy enough to mix them without it. I just want everything organised.
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-O-Sito View Post

A couple of my breakbeat tracks just dont want to lineup properly with the beatgridder.

Are you using autogrid function or manually gridding them? I would suggest turning off autogrid - sucks unless you play monotonous doof

Never had any issues with grids I've done manually on my breaks and DnB tunes - just like mixing with other formats - always easier to use the snare instead of the kick. In Traktor its also a lot cleaner to line up your grid on these too.

Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
nah, i use both manual and auto for it. Had problems with both.
A few of them start with alcapellas...maybe i'll have another look tonight
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bressos View Post

can u you adjust the sensative of jog wheel or is that it ? and i was going to ask can u still do internal record too?? with the s4

There is an adjustment in the settings but it doesn't seem to do squat. Quite a few ppl on the NI forums asking for a update so the sensitivity can be dialled down so I gather your stuck with it until they do another update.
H2X
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Interstate for 2 weeks with my S4........and forgot the damn power supply. Went to every shop in town after a 9V 1.2A PSU to no avail
H2X
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAKS View Post

Interstate for 2 weeks with my S4........and forgot the damn power supply. Went to every shop in town after a 9V 1.2A PSU to no avail

Its bus powered - just plug and play - granted your lights will be a little dimmer

ccombe +

hmm soo much blue...

Times thanked
<
gahh wish there was a hardware button to enable recording of your sets.. dont like having to touch the laptop at all if I can avoid it.. (once its up and running..) guess I will just have to map it out to something I don't use on the kontrol s4, mind you at the moment everything is getting used quite heavily.. it's really pushing me to do more looping and layering and more "on the fly" type stuff which is good.. just going a > b > a is fine but if you want to play around more and incorporate something interesting into your sets.. it's now much easier to do so.

-
Pulse Radio
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I hate the grid to be honest, only comes in handy for 4 deck type stuff. I turn the sync off for breaks, especially since the jogs are pretty decent
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroWhitie View Post

Its bus powered - just plug and play - granted your lights will be a little dimmer

Yeah i know, but prefer mains power. All sorted now, found one at Dick Smith online and a local store had them out the back in the box.
H2X
Pendulum +

Apple Trancintosh

Times thanked
<
Mine arrived today!! Ordered it midday yesterday from Store DJ, and it arrives this morning 300km down the coast here in Ulladulla. Happy chappy!

Had my first play with it tonight. Im sold. Goodbye CDJs. Goodbye countless hours spent burning CDs. Hello access to my entire music library and all the various other benefits of the S4. Suffice to say I have always done just basic mixing. No real tricks or use of FX. However I am definitely going to be making use of them on the S4 as they are just so damn easy to use!

Cant wait to play around with it some more once I read the manual and watch some more vids!

Peace.

Scottie
The Australian Trance Music Community - http://www.trancetribe.com
zilch_13 +

:)

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccombe View Post

got mine a couple weeks ago now that I am living in Singapore.. love it, but I would never use the flight case for anything other then flying, unless I some day get a gimp to carry my stuff around (sarcasm).

hopefully UDG bring something out with wheels / bag type thing..

check out: http://traktorbible.com/en/kontrol_s...o_machine.aspx
using s4 and maschine at the same time..

hey dude im in singapore as well, got mine locally from Valentine's music , how you like it over here? I think singapore clubs are pretty "quiet" compared to sydney clubs lol
ZILCHIFIED: My Blog
djzilch.com
zilch_13 +

:)

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bressos View Post

i posted a request in the NI forums about the jogwheel sensitivity

the jogwheel is supposed to be adjustable, but as the current version the changes you make to the jogwheel settings does not work at all, i hope they resolve this in the next update, the S4 software is still in a pretty young state and they still need to iron some bugs, but this thing has really great potential
ZILCHIFIED: My Blog
djzilch.com
ccombe +

hmm soo much blue...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilch_13 View Post

hey dude im in singapore as well, got mine locally from Valentine's music , how you like it over here? I think singapore clubs are pretty "quiet" compared to sydney clubs lol

agreed mate.. plus alcohol is ridiculously expensive.. will send you a pm

-
Pulse Radio
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Been playing with the sample decks over the last few days, lots of fun to be had .
H2X
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<
Just recorded my latest podcast with this baby. http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394170086

First time trying multiple decks, its insane fun keeping your mind set on layering of songs!
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
NewjackThe2nd +

can't wait to finish the new ecdm-digital.net site :)

Times thanked
<
getting my hands on 1 of these next week. send of payment friday and just gotta wait. am i gonna love this or what?
http://commercialclubking.blogspot.com 850,000 Views 202 Countries Visit Daily 360,000 Unique Visitors. 3615 views in 24hrs Record
http://twitter.com/#!/ecdm_digital
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
was just curious how you guys have gone about organising your music.
I know Traktor syncs with itunes but as my music library continues to get bigger and bigger is becoming increasingly shit importing music to itunes then spending time trawling through trying to find the tunes I just added.

Is there an easier way to import music either through itunes onto Traktor...or just directly into traktor to make a playlist?
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
djanthonykirby +

housessions - jul 9th

Times thanked
<

Quote:

was just curious how you guys have gone about organising your music.
I know Traktor syncs with itunes but as my music library continues to get bigger and bigger is becoming increasingly shit importing music to itunes then spending time trawling through trying to find the tunes I just added.

Is there an easier way to import music either through itunes onto Traktor...or just directly into traktor to make a playlist?

I save all my tunes to the desktop in separate folders, and then in the preferences section you can point to the file which will add it to your search window in Traktor for easy access.

I also dragged individual files (deep house/tech house/acapellas) into the favourites bar so I can just browse through quickly.

Hope this helps ... I think this would be the quickest way???
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
^^ sweet! Yep thats the info im after cheers!

Was already using the favouriites bar.
djanthonykirby +

housessions - jul 9th

Times thanked
<
only got mine last week - thats about all I have learnt!
mute +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Are you using autogrid function or manually gridding them? I would suggest turning off autogrid - sucks unless you play monotonous doof

Never had any issues with grids I've done manually on my breaks and DnB tunes - just like mixing with other formats - always easier to use the snare instead of the kick. In Traktor its also a lot cleaner to line up your grid on these too.

Yeah, how long does it take to manually beat-grid a track? I play lots of stuff with relatively tricky riddims (swung garage, jungle, minimal DnB), and while I can manually beatmatch them all - it would be neat to ensure all the loops and effect sync.

Just how long does it take?

Also, having only ever messed around with the demo of Traktor, are there ways that you can 'tag' tracks with descriptors that are then searchable? For example, if I can't remember the exact name, or even the artist for a track, if I've tagged it with the descriptors 'tribal', 'flute' 'pads' techy' et etc, will I be able to find it?

While libraries/crates/playlists are handy - the technology exists to add metatags (likie in Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto etc) - so I assume that this is a function of Traktor.

Also, I was contemplating buying Serato before seeing this - I can't really justify it now - other than lugging the S4 to a club will be a bit of mission. But you guys reckon it was easy enough to set up - and not to disruptive to the other performers and DJs?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by mute: 13-Jan-11 at 06:42am

mute +

Times thanked
<
Um....anyone?

Or has everyone moed onto the next 'whizz-bang' piece of equipment?!
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mute View Post

and not to disruptive to the other performers and DJs?

Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
mute +

Times thanked
<
^^^

A sore point? Did you have a bad encounter with someone with the S4?
mute +

Times thanked
<
I' really appreciate it if someone could offer some sort of answer to the questions in my post a few above.

Thanks!
Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
Should be easy to setup just plug the master out into a channel on the mixer, one rca. Less disruptive than dvs if you've got the space in the booth. That's one of the reasons why I'm going to switch to a midi controller for most gigs, saves plugging and unplugging while someone is trying to mix. Plus I'm sick of playing on unloved turntables and I'd also rather mix on a xone than a 800.
Minosora +

Times thanked
<
i've had this for about 2 weeks...can't get enough! so easy and so fun to use. I think with a few months more practice live mixing will sound better then ever for me.
AfroWhitie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mute View Post

Yeah, how long does it take to manually beat-grid a track? I play lots of stuff with relatively tricky riddims (swung garage, jungle, minimal DnB), and while I can manually beatmatch them all - it would be neat to ensure all the loops and effect sync.

Just how long does it take?

Also, having only ever messed around with the demo of Traktor, are there ways that you can 'tag' tracks with descriptors that are then searchable? For example, if I can't remember the exact name, or even the artist for a track, if I've tagged it with the descriptors 'tribal', 'flute' 'pads' techy' et etc, will I be able to find it?

While libraries/crates/playlists are handy - the technology exists to add metatags (likie in Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto etc) - so I assume that this is a function of Traktor.

Also, I was contemplating buying Serato before seeing this - I can't really justify it now - other than lugging the S4 to a club will be a bit of mission. But you guys reckon it was easy enough to set up - and not to disruptive to the other performers and DJs?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sorry - was away...

Re Beatgridding - at the end of the day its all electronic music so the beats are on time (even though it feels more complex than regular 4/4 ) The only time gridding is hard is on music that contains a human drum element - e.g. funk.

It takes me about a minute to grid, set up hot cues and 'label' a track - its one of those things that just comes with practice and time. Now i do a lot of my prep while i'm actually gigging.

Re tagging - yeah you can use any of the fields as searchable items. - there are 2 comment fields as well as genre but you could re-purpose other fields like 'producer' etc for your own schemes.

As for lugging - I have a backpack for my S4. It doesn't take long at all to set up - If you are worried about upsetting previous DJ's then take a cd or 2 to mix and set up while they play.

twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
take a cd or 2 to mix and set up while they play.
This should just be a given for any DVS djs..
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedbydesign View Post

take a cd or 2 to mix and set up while they play.
This should just be a given for any DVS djs..

No way!!!!!

the DVS DJ should never have to eat into their own set time setting up their gear
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
twistedbydesign +

grokkin it over

Times thanked
<
Or bother plugging the turnies back into the phono input..why they put them into the line input to begin with is beyond me, that means they unplugged the interface then plugged it back in the wrong place....who plays vinyl emulation without knowing how to setup a turntable to use regular vinyl?
Beats
Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
Decksaver for the S4 is on the way

H2X
Mike-O-Sito +

cowbell

Times thanked
<
looks lighter than the flightcase
Mike BigFX - Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/mike-bigfx

Breaks in all its forms!
Progressive | Oldskool | NuSkool
JDeli +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

looks lighter than the flightcase

Yeah now I just need a way to transport it on some sort of trolley aha.

Getting fucken over luggin the flight case. Its not even the weight its just a shit to carry.

Last edited by JDeli: 18-Jan-11 at 07:29pm

mute +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Re tagging - yeah you can use any of the fields as searchable items. - there are 2 comment fields as well as genre but you could re-purpose other fields like 'producer' etc for your own schemes.

Just to clarify.... as I really wouldn't want to Delete the producer/artist name from the file...surely that would lead to pain in the future?!!?!?

Surely the comments fields would be a better place to put such info?

I take it that each of the 2 'comments' fields could house a limitless number of descriptors/tags - such as I described - and each of these would be searchable, as I described?

Thanks for your input! Cheers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »