The DJ Booth

New pioneer CDJ 900's any good??

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
smallman +

Times thanked
<
New pioneer CDJ 900's any good??
Hey guy's, just about to buy a pioneer set up that consists of X2 CDJ 900's and a DJM 800. I was speaking to a DJ that played at korova on the weekend and he said that the 900's weren't that good and took ages to load a cd, and said i should get some cdj1000 mk3's instead. Just asking for advice off anyone that has played on 1000's and 900's and could confirm or deny what i was told on the weekend.
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
try them out in a shop and judge for yourself?
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

rossredman +

Trance :: Techno

Times thanked
<
yeah, i noticed they took a while to load CDs last weekend when i used them. seemed alright otherwise. One of the other djs mentioned the bpm display was inaccurate, but by how much, im not sure, i hadnt taken much notice as i had just finished my set.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
BPM is inaccurate on both 900s and 2000s. I prefer my 1000s over any of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheelWinston View Post

Enlightened, morally strong sports fans follow the NRL.

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
Really? My 2000's seem pretty much on the mark - although I don't rely on the BPM counter to mix....but generally they both read the same when I have looked at them. Guess if both are the same but wrong...well its just as good as being right

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garthyboy View Post

Really? My 2000's seem pretty much on the mark - although I don't rely on the BPM counter to mix....but generally they both read the same when I have looked at them. Guess if both are the same but wrong...well its just as good as being right

Well I don't know how common it is. I know 1 of the CDJs in Laundry wasn't reading the BPMs on my tracks right, but the other was. Was quite strange. Or maybe someone was just trying to fuck with my head.

Quote:

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
not a fan of the 2000's at all, they are a lot more touchy, seem to fall out of mixes a bit

i much prefer playing on 1000's
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

not a fan of the 2000's at all, they are a lot more touchy, seem to fall out of mixes a bit

i much prefer playing on 1000's

Very interesting to hear that.

I haven't given them a crack yet, but hope to do so shortly!

Are you using a DVS, or straight CDs?
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
nah just normal round cd's

someone mentioned that the laser that reads the cd's are diff
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
DJ_Warehouse +

Times thanked
<
There were some bugs on the 2000s/900s when they first came out so make sure that the firmware is updated on all the new players. Tell the club owners about this issue and make sure they're updated.

http://pioneer.jp/support/download/d...2000/firm.html
http://pioneer.jp/support/download/d...-900/firm.html
www.djwarehouse.com.au
johnbiggs +

You need to wake up, to sound of the hens

Times thanked
<
is 1450 cheapest you can do cdj 900 for dj warehouse
I am reporting people who call me marshy or another name you have been warn
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

nah just normal round cd's

someone mentioned that the laser that reads the cd's are diff

Personally, I like to make sure that the jog wheel is at it's toughest. Usually irons out any "slipping" kinks when making fine adjustments. That's just me though!
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
smallman +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the feedback guys, i spose i should try the cdj1000's and cdj900's and make my decision.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
if i plug my USB sticks from my 400 straight into 900/2000's they should work the same right? Or do i need reckordbox (still not too sure what that is exactly)
johnbiggs +

You need to wake up, to sound of the hens

Times thanked
<
wont display wave forms or be organized properly. you should run them through rekordbox. once you're used to it its actually useful and i am happy with it.
I am reporting people who call me marshy or another name you have been warn
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
upgraded from 400s to 900s this year, 900s are great.
rekordbox is useful as well, i pretty much don't use CDs at home anymore.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Yeh would love to upgrade but the price difference is massive. I'm quite happy with the 400's tbh was just wondering for when I played out. Most clubs seem to have got rid of the 1000s tho I like them.
fackedd +

Times thanked
<
Bassically you need to decide if the Hot cues on the 1000 are worth all the advantages you get from the 900 which are:
Rekordbox functionality
USB
Tilted screen with song info and track selection
pro dj link
Slip Mode
Auto beat loop/cutter

But as people have said before the biggest draw in is rekordbox. Being able to organise all your music and set cue points is really nice. Then all you need is a usb/HD and plug it into your cdjs, Its great for when you do 4-5 hour party sets... really easy to find and select from thousands of songs in my library from the cdj screen.
hall_G +

Times thanked
<
Buy some 1200's.
Blank Canvas
My Soundcloud
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma View Post

Or maybe someone was just trying to fuck with my head.

yeh, sorry about that

i'm gonna get a pair of these and sell my 1000s + xone:4D soon... but not in that order
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
Question is -- Are YOU any good?

To me, it's all about the person really.. you don't really need to have the latest and greatest to make ur sets spectacular... a good dj should be able to make the maximum usage of any equipment that he is using (mind you am not a big fan of cdj's with mashed buttons or cdjs that have been fcuked up....)

Frankly between the two i would still go for the 1000mk3 simply because i do not use that many mp3's to play out etc....so i do not need that function...also its a safer bet that the cd players in the clubs would play an audio cd at least (a lot of mk3's have problems with mp3's that have album art -- there has to be a firmware applied -- and i really doubt as to how many of the players out there have the updated firmware).. Sure it's great to have mp3's to listen to and to play out but yeah, not a fan.... but you have to decide for urself, if the updated features of the 900 suit ur needs or not....

Have you had a look at the denon's??
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
smallman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubbyBoy View Post

Question is -- Are YOU any good?

To me, it's all about the person really.. you don't really need to have the latest and greatest to make ur sets spectacular... a good dj should be able to make the maximum usage of any equipment that he is using (mind you am not a big fan of cdj's with mashed buttons or cdjs that have been fcuked up....)

Frankly between the two i would still go for the 1000mk3 simply because i do not use that many mp3's to play out etc....so i do not need that function...also its a safer bet that the cd players in the clubs would play an audio cd at least (a lot of mk3's have problems with mp3's that have album art -- there has to be a firmware applied -- and i really doubt as to how many of the players out there have the updated firmware).. Sure it's great to have mp3's to listen to and to play out but yeah, not a fan.... but you have to decide for urself, if the updated features of the 900 suit ur needs or not....

Have you had a look at the denon's??

I've never DJ'd before, I'm just really into my music and want to start doing it as a hobby. So i'm treading into unknown territory here. I've gathered that both the 900's and the 1000's have their ups and downs and it really comes down to personal choice. Probably just go with the 900's i reckon.
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallman View Post

I've never DJ'd before, I'm just really into my music and want to start doing it as a hobby. So i'm treading into unknown territory here. I've gathered that both the 900's and the 1000's have their ups and downs and it really comes down to personal choice. Probably just go with the 900's i reckon.

If you have never Mixed before it might be a idea to buy a couple of Cdj 200s an a cheap mixer to learn the basics on! if after a year or so your still loving it upgrade to what ever you want an suits the style in which you mix!$5000 dollars worth of gear is a lot to spend on something you have never done before mate! once you can mix an have progressed to the level where you can mix cleanly and understand the art buy better equipment an hone your skills! the equipment doesnt make the Dj!! the music does
DORSAL FIN UP
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
Dead set, consider 2xCDJ200 (or 400s if you've got a bit of extra cash) with a Xone:22 as your first setup.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee View Post

Dead set, consider 2xCDJ200 (or 400s if you've got a bit of extra cash) with a Xone:22 as your first setup.

Nah.

Dude, buy the 2000s and a Xone:92. That way when you decide you don't want to mix anymore you can put your shit up for sale in the buying and selling thread and I can get it dirt cheap

Quote:

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Fuck people are real keen to drop money on their first setups... until they want to sell it 3 months later and cry about the money they wasted
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by avatar_karma View Post

Nah.

Dude, buy the 2000s and a Xone:92. That way when you decide you don't want to mix anymore you can put your shit up for sale in the buying and selling thread and I can get it dirt cheap

Always good to have a little giggle when you see such a sweet setup appear
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
My first set up was absolutely GASH

I don't understand spending like $5000 on a set up if you've never mixed before. Boggles the mind.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
stoydgen +

Times thanked
<
I've played with with 800's (mine), and 900's/2000's/1000's

On the looping side, the 900/200 are superior due to their "half-frames" (150 frames per sec compared with 75 on the 800/1000), making them stay in time for much longer (ie less nudging). And if you get into the whole rekordbox shebang, you can quantise loops so that their are super-perfect.

The LINK mode on the 900/2000 is also very handy, makes your workflow that much easier. The "tag track" also lets you pick out tracks on the fly to consider playing later by hitting the tag list button. This list is also shared between the cdj's, pretty cool.

USB drives (dumped tracks or prepared with rekordbox) both read fine and quickly, and link mode works seemlessly. The BPM counters have been accurate enough, and if you analyse your tracks in rekordbox, they will be pretty much on the money 99.9% of the time. CD's have also worked fine for me on these.

If you are purchasing new, then the 900 seem like the go to me. The 2000's didn't really offer anything apart from hot cues which was an improvement on the 900, and new 1000's are the same money. If you are purchasing used, look for cheap 1000s, otherwise just get new 900s. If you are using DVS, then look for used 1000s, as all the looping, cueing, track organisation will be done on the laptop anyway. If you are just using cd's, and doing longer mixes which make use of your looping, look at the 900.
Ron Maran - DJ and occasional Ranter/Reviewer
Facebook |Soundcloud | Website
m_xt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee View Post

^^^ this. I got my 400's and xone 22 a while ago now all for under $2000 from the local light sounds. I would go for the 400 over the 200 coz I get tired of burning CDs. But yeh why waste anymore than that on ur 1st set up? It won't help u... and may even hinder u. P.s xone 22 FTW!!! Solid mixer.... why does everyone want 4 channels to plug 2 cdjs into?
hall_G +

Times thanked
<
My first set up was two of these:
Blank Canvas
My Soundcloud
smallman +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

Fuck people are real keen to drop money on their first setups... until they want to sell it 3 months later and cry about the money they wasted

The money doesn't bother me one bit, just want something decent to start out with.
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
Its not about the money mate!!!
DORSAL FIN UP
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallman View Post

The money doesn't bother me one bit, just want something decent to start out with.

Thing is, you can get a very decent setup for less than you would pay for just one of those 900s...
smallman +

Times thanked
<
Yeah i know what your getting at
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_xt View Post

why does everyone want 4 channels to plug 2 cdjs into?

they don't -> everyone wants a pioneer mixer with the effects so they can flick their flange till the cows come home... i agree with you on this point. i had a 2 channel mixer for years until i wanted to get more into production, then i bought a xone:4D after looking for ages on the internet at what i really wanted for the next 5-8 years... have considered selling the xone, but the sound is so good and my set up is so easy for traktor + TTS/CDJs i probably won't part with it for a long time to come

definitely agree with starting up with a simple system and then upgrading if you want to branch out
rossredman +

Trance :: Techno

Times thanked
<
my philosphy, is spend as much as you are prepared to spend on the gear you want. if you want to buy 2 x cdj2000's and a xone v6, go for it. you'll find that you wont have to upgrade in a looong time, which means less money down the track, and if you decide its not for you, you'll still get a fair bit back on the 2nd hand market anyway. No point buying crappy gear and getting frustrated with it, if you can afford quality.

Worse case scenario, spend the extra to get decent cdjs, and start off with a Stanton SA.3 or something. Cheaper to replace one mixer than 2 cdjs, and the stanton is quite a good mixer.
chris pana +

catalina wine mixer

Times thanked
<
I don't get the CDJ concept....when you have the music digitally already, why the need to burn to disc to play (risk of skipping, quality of discs etc)...this is beyond me.....especially when you can load it up in ableton/traktor etc. and have the freedom and flex to do more.

If you're not using the CDJ 900 with CD's would it be fair to say you're spending $1450 on what's become largely a glorified midi controller....don't see the point

Upcoming:
TBA - Feb 2012

Listen: www.soundcloud.com/chris-pana
Follow: www.facebook.com/ChrisPana
Josh AKA Sharky +

Times thanked
<
Kontrol s4 then???
DORSAL FIN UP
stoydgen +

Times thanked
<
Wait, this is a first setup? LOL

I'd recommend finding a 2nd hand pair of 400's or 800's (I think even new they are $750odd as they are EOL'ed) and any reliable mixer (Effects are not crucial. Learn to work with your EQ's/actually mixing in phrase first). Also consider the Denon S1200.

If you are still convinced on buying new 1000's/900's, then as I mentioned in my earlier post, I would send you to the 900.
stoydgen +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossredman View Post

Worse case scenario, spend the extra to get decent cdjs, and start off with a Stanton SA.3 or something. Cheaper to replace one mixer than 2 cdjs, and the stanton is quite a good mixer.

Agreed. The SA3 is a very underrated mixer. If you want a cheap but still reliable way into effects, consider the Stanton M.207.
smallman +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for all the info guys, will better help me make my decision
peter7 +

Times thanked
<
For 900 and 1000mk3, I always take 1000mk3... 900 need to be improved in the next 900mk1 thought
Impression +

Times thanked
<
I used 900s doing a warm up set up last week, The load times are fine and the BPM reader is the same if not more accurate as others. I dont rely on it before someone arks up.

Don't know what your on about.

They are sweet. track names listed bigger and more of a menu style interface rocks.
www.facebook.com/impressiondeejay
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbiggs View Post

wont display wave forms or be organized properly. you should run them through rekordbox. once you're used to it its actually useful and i am happy with it.

Same. Gigs I've been doing that have had CDJ2000's setup I've taken two 32GB USB drives, saves so much time burning CDs, cover art and wave form comes up beautifully too.

I love my 900's, I would've loved a pair of 2000's but not sure if I trust that screen to still be going after a year (and Pioneer warranty service is a nightmare).

I don't even bother pulling my CD wallet out to mix at home any more, I run my CDJs and MacBook Pro into a cheap 10/100 5 port switch and stream everything from RekordBox, runs like a dream

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

Same. Gigs I've been doing that have had CDJ2000's setup I've taken two 32GB USB drives, saves so much time burning CDs, cover art and wave form comes up beautifully too.

I love my 900's, I would've loved a pair of 2000's but not sure if I trust that screen to still be going after a year (and Pioneer warranty service is a nightmare).

I don't even bother pulling my CD wallet out to mix at home any more, I run my CDJs and MacBook Pro into a cheap 10/100 5 port switch and stream everything from RekordBox, runs like a dream

what he said.
I now only use CDs for gigs, run my 900s off rekordbox and it is sick. 2000s didnt have any features that i thought was worthwhile paying more for...
ullash +

Times thanked
<
hows rekord box? compared to traktor ?
stoydgen +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullash View Post

hows rekord box? compared to traktor ?

Recordbox is a very different beast to traktor, basically all it handles is the analysis, selection and loading of tracks to the given player. All the "playing" is still done on the cdj. You can use recordbox to:
-Set cuepoints
-Set BPM's
-Make Waveforms
-Quantize Loops
-Store loops/cues in memory
-Organise and export crates/playlists (either to the cdj when networked together, or to a usb/hdd when playing somewhere else)

It does these things well enough. Only annoyance is how the text resizes to fit the column size for the mp3 tag fields (so a long trackname becomes very small to read unless the column width is quite large), but otherwise nothing worth having a heart attack over.

That's probably the biggest draw to the 900's/2000's. You don't need the laptop once you've finished organising. For those who want to go spastic with fx and sample launching/midi mapping... rekordbox is not this.
burgz85 +

Mmmmm velour....

Times thanked
<
I'm going to pick up a pair of 900's after work today, very excited!
Kri1987 +

Times thanked
<
Haha. I like organising on USB drives instead of cds.
... and here come the "dislike" comments
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »